PDA

View Full Version : How To Get More Than 10Mbps From Wired Connection

MrJDGaF
18-08-2007, 17:35
If you're on 20Mb but only getting 10 either with or without a router you might want to look here http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php.

It made my speeds jump from 10 to 14Mbps and that's through a SB4100, now if only my new modem would turn up...

ECW_Original
18-08-2007, 18:40
Its not that WE the customers that need to optomise, its THEM useless ******s they call "'managers' and 'MD's' that need to do something - DONT waste money on pointless properganda "oh our network is so good it makes me wanna cry" more like "this is soo crap i feel like killing myself cos Im fed up with the poinless bullcrap they tell us" and actually put the money back into the network and for god sake UPGRADE THE NETWORK!!!

Maybe then we wouldnt need to do all theis crap!!

Toto
18-08-2007, 18:44
Its not that WE the customers that need to optomise, its THEM useless ******s they call "'managers' and 'MD's' that need to do something - DONT waste money on pointless properganda "oh our network is so good it makes me wanna cry" more like "this is soo crap i feel like killing myself cos Im fed up with the poinless bullcrap they tell us" and actually put the money back into the network and for god sake UPGRADE THE NETWORK!!!

Well, VM's apparent failings notwithstanding, that advice is still sound, and deserves consideration.

ECW_Original
18-08-2007, 18:49
I would have edited the swearing out, but this 'high speed broadband' is taking the mick, loads of time outs and 'page cant be displayed' its all total rubbish!!

I tried the site they suggested for wireless pc's and I gat an 500 Internal server error every bloody time, im sick and fed up to the back teeth with this crap..

If I could get my hands on that ideot Alex Brown, Id put my hands around his neck and squeeze till id choked the life outta the useless waste of space..

Oh well, VM are gonna have a HUGE big shock coming to them VERY soon and I cant wait either.

And FYU, that DOES NOT work, I always have my NIC on 100 full duplex, was getting less than 2Mb ffs...

like I said, if THEY would get their fingers outta their asses thinkin up ways to screw us over, we wouldnt need to do anything, its time they god damn well finally admitted that they really dont know what to do, they say there is no money for upgrades, upgrades the network BADLY needs, but they ignore this cos all they can see is big pound signs in front of their eyes, god they really love screwing us over, well its time we did the same thing, and I have told the highest manager at VM they would let me speak to that UNLESS they stop this crap and upgrade everyone and stop these pointelss trials, i WILL NOT pay a single penny for this piece of crap any longer.

mrmistoffelees
18-08-2007, 18:51
I would have edited the swearing out, but this 'high speed broadband' is taking the mick, loads of time outs and 'page cant be displayed' its all total rubbish!!

I tried the site they suggested for wireless pc's and I gat an 500 Internal server error every bloody time, im sick and fed up to the back teeth with this crap..

If I could get my hands on that ideot Alex Brown, Id put my hands around his neck and squeeze till id choked the life outta the useless waste of space..

Oh well, VM are gonna have a HUGE big shock coming to them VERY soon and I cant wait either.

Now, don't sit on the fence, tell us how you really feel ;) :D

ECW_Original
18-08-2007, 18:54
Now, don't sit on the fence, tell us how you really feel ;) :D

Im just soo damn fustrated, I am not 1 for beating around the bush, if I have something to say, I just let rip.

Honnestly, Im sure that others have the same oppinion but are affriad to say anything, not me!!

7@m3 G33k
18-08-2007, 19:23
Im just soo damn fustrated, I am not 1 for beating around the bush, if I have something to say, I just let rip.

Honnestly, Im sure that others have the same oppinion but are affriad to say anything, not me!!

I pay for 2MB/s and I get 2MB/s all the time. TV works. Phone works. Job done. Now if only the rest of VM's operation did what it said on the tin... :erm:

ECW_Original
18-08-2007, 19:46
I pay for 2MB/s and I get 2MB/s all the time. TV works. Phone works. Job done. Now if only the rest of VM's operation did what it said on the tin... :erm:

Well my friend, you are certainly in the minority there!

I am half conseidering moving to the smallest, most less populated place in England, maybe THEN I will have a chance once I'm out of this over-subscribed town... the other half is very seriously considering moving stateside, none of this crappy STM here, 100Mb and even 1Gb servers where people can download at over 10MB/s and upload at near enough that too... oh what a dream to have a perfect connection like that!!

Sirius
18-08-2007, 20:04
Im just too damn frustrated, I am not 1 for beating around the bush, if I have something to say, I just let rip.

Honestly, Im sure that others have the same opinion but are afraid to say anything, not me!!

The way i see it

Phone, No problems
Tv, No problems
Broadband, The biggest pile of crap that i have had the misfortune to have to pay for in my life. How they can call this crap high speed i have no idea.

VM for gods sake your broadband it has become a pile of feted dingo's kidneys SORT IT OUT NOW and stop blaming everyone else for your lack of investment.

There said it :D

xpod
18-08-2007, 20:36
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 15:01:51 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 2500 ms = 409.6 KB/sec, approx 3375 Kbps, 3.3 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 9234 ms = 110.9 KB/sec, approx 914 Kbps, 0.89 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 9063 ms = 113 KB/sec, approx 931 Kbps, 0.91 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 26750 ms = 76.6 KB/sec, approx 631 Kbps, 0.62 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1463 Kbps, 1.43 Mbps

Just as well X factor is on if you ask me:rolleyes:

slowcoach
18-08-2007, 20:41
The last couple of days my speed has been 19Meg round the clock, earlier today until the curfew it was at 2Meg, now we are into the curfew it has gone up to 13Meg.
This has to be a selective reduction of speed by VM outside the curfew hours, it is happening every third or fourth day now, I guess today was our turn again.
We have to be grateful that the TV advertising failed miserably else if it had drawn in a load of new punters we would be even worse off than we are now.

Matth
18-08-2007, 21:46
Unless you have "fully self tuning" Vista, then you DO need to optimize for appropriate BDP, or throughput will be constrained by the fill/empty cycle of the pipe even if everything else is A-OK.

They COULD do something, proxies, but the proxies are going away, rather than being improved (they were never good enough)

homealone
18-08-2007, 22:04
Unless you have "fully self tuning" Vista, then you DO need to optimize for appropriate BDP, or throughput will be constrained by the fill/empty cycle of the pipe even if everything else is A-OK.

They COULD do something, proxies, but the proxies are going away, rather than being improved (they were never good enough)

I wonder how many of the posters complaining about their connection, in this thread, have actually tried the suggestions in the original post?

In my experience proxies were hardly ever a problem, but ours have now been switched off since last year - personally I don't really notice a difference?

MrJDGaF
19-08-2007, 08:31

Well apparently I did and it worked for me.

Obviously if you're not getting anywhere near 10Mbps then the advice in my original post will not make a difference. If I was in that position I would first check with others in my street that I'm not the only one with poor bandwith before I made a fool of myself blaming VM for my PC's malware infestation.

Not saying it must be your fault but the attitude you take that VM are responsible for every customers PC configuration makes you come across as some chav/immigrant who wants everything on a plate without lifting a finger.

ECW_Original
19-08-2007, 09:37
Obviously if you're not getting anywhere near 10Mbps then the advice in my original post will not make a difference. If I was in that position I would first check with others in my street that I'm not the only one with poor bandwith before I made a fool of myself blaming VM for my PC's malware infestation.

Not saying it must be your fault but the attitude you take that VM are responsible for every customers PC configuration makes you come across as some chav/immigrant who wants everything on a plate without lifting a finger.

I take it you do NOT read other posts on this forum, IF you DID then you would see my post saying that it is CONFIRMED there are problems with the 20Mb server(s) and this has been confirmed to myself by 2 different managers AND a snr engineer, this has been an ongoing issue for the last few months...

So NO amount of tweaking settings on customers' PC's will make their speeds faster, ONLY VM can do that when they finally get the hint and UPGRADE THEIR DAMN NETWORK!!!

Grr @ them all!!!

Sirius
19-08-2007, 09:49
chav/immigrant who wants everything on a plate without lifting a finger.

That Sir is well below the belt and has nothing whatever to do with this thread. There are plenty of other forums out there catering for that type of post.

And just for your information i have a very good knowledge of Virgin Broadband which for those that know me will testify and i have a high level complaint in at the moment over what is a broadband service well below what i should be getting.

My system is

Smoothwall firewall and router running on a pent 3 system with 512 meg of ram
all network cards are 1 gig cards and optimised for best throughput.
all cabling to industry standard.
Modem at correct levels and its a ambit 255

1 machine running Linux
1 machine running vista
2 machines running xp

all have abysmal net connections so what are you going to blame on my system.

ECW_Original
19-08-2007, 09:58

So let me get you right, if ANYONE is having speed issues then its down to the fact they are a 'chav'???

before you start slandering, get your facts right...

I am NOT a chav, I bloody well work hard, sweating my bits off mon-fri for a pittiful minimum wage, and I sure aint no bloody 'immigrant' I was born in England, I have lived in England my whole life so far, can YOU say the same???

And going by what you say, does that mean if I was a 'goth' or a 'trendy' or a 'ned' that I would get better speeds??? Answer: I dont think so somehow so just keep your nastly little oppinions to yourself...

Sirius
19-08-2007, 10:03
So let me get you right, if ANYONE is having speed issues then its down to the fact they are a 'chav'???

before you start slandering, get your facts right...

I am NOT a chav, I bloody well work hard, sweating my bits off mon-fri for a pittiful minimum wage, and I sure aint no bloody 'immigrant' I was born in England, I have lived in England my whole life so far, can YOU say the same???

And going by what you say, does that mean if I was a 'goth' or a 'trendy' or a 'ned' that I would get better speeds??? Answer: I dont think so somehow so just keep your nastly little oppinions to yourself...

When they cannot find a reason blame someone else :)

Some would find that post a bit racist reminds me of a poster from not long back who was banned.

xspeedyx
19-08-2007, 10:10
Well I read all these post on this thread an man I do feel for ur slow speeds but I do have a question if you are getting such bad speed and you are sick of it as ECW pointed out before how unhappy he is why not leave and hope for your next provider to give u a decent speed. this is not a digg just a genral question

Sirius
19-08-2007, 10:22
Well I read all these post on this thread an man I do feel for ur slow speeds but I do have a question if you are getting such bad speed and you are sick of it as ECW pointed out before how unhappy he is why not leave and hope for your next provider to give u a decent speed. this is not a digg just a genral question

Because i want cable and when it works it bloody well works well. I have been told that this problem will be fixed and i am willing to give them the time needed to fix it. What i dont like is someone trying to blame away a lack of good service on who i am or were i live. I was born in this country and i certainly am no chav.

Derek
19-08-2007, 11:26
I really don't think whether someone is a Chav/Ned or just enjoys wearing cheap nylon leisurewear and tacky jewellery affects how their broadband connection works or doesn't work.

Can we all calm down a little bit and keep the discussion to the topic

iTekweni
19-08-2007, 11:28

This seems to be one of your favourite "quotes" about leaving why should we leave when before this miserable upgrade we were all getting fair speeds but since the upgrade it has all gone to pot.

I was born in England but spent many years in South Africa and was paying for dial up so the speeds I am getting now far exceed the dial up I was paying for but when one is paying £37 a month for supposingly up to 20meg then we should get something close and not have to settle for the paltry speeds we get now.

I am just sick and tired of certain people on this board who just seem to point out that downgrading or moving to another supplier is the only option for me it is not I have been with this cable company now for 7.5 years and have never had problems before so to these people go to hell and keep your comments to yourself.

"thats my sunday morning rant" further more I have been a member of this site for a considerable time and my posts were down to only 3 but since VM takeover and upgrade to VIP my posts have increased and would be considerably more but I choose to ignore lots of posts relating to 20meg service.

This is a dig as tired of reading your comments about leaving its not the only solution VM must get it right.

Sirius
19-08-2007, 12:25
This is a dig as tired of reading your comments about leaving its not the only solution VM must get it right.

When i leave if i do it will be my decision not someone Else's. Cable can be the dog's nuts if it is looked after and money is spent on it, alas it seems the money is spent on share holders and court battle's.

Toto
19-08-2007, 12:41
I have atually found that swapping from Auto to 100Mps Full Duplex has worked surprisingly well for me, even though the "auto" setting says its 100mbps.

When all is said and done, it is everyones responsibility to make sure they have dotted the "'i's" and crossed the "t's" before contacting VM, it will save you time, aggro and money.

xpod
19-08-2007, 12:56
:erm:

Back on topic then....

That Sir is well below the belt and has nothing whatever to do with this thread. There are plenty of other forums out there catering for that type of post.

And just for your information i have a very good knowledge of Virgin Broadband which for those that know me will testify and i have a high level complaint in at the moment over what is a broadband service well below what i should be getting.

My system is

Smoothwall firewall and router running on a pent 3 system with 512 meg of ram
all network cards are 1 gig cards and optimised for best throughput.
all cabling to industry standard.
Modem at correct levels and its a ambit 255

1 machine running Linux
1 machine running vista
2 machines running xp

all have abysmal net connections so what are you going to blame on my system.

Sounds a wee bit similar to my own setup ......as far as certain aspects are concerned anyway.I dont currently have the fully self tunning malware installed though:p:

It really dont matter what OS,what machine or indeed which fully optimized nic`s i use.It dont matter if i`m using my big beige router/firewall box in between or wether i`m connecting any machine/os direct....all just as bad.:)

Now why on earth would i do that???
It`s taken us 17 months of numerous nonsense to get where we are now,with the services we have,for the price we have them.
Theres not a hope in hell i`m going to start back at square one with somebody else.It would`nt be any different overall surely??

In fact, i know the troubles many family,friends and neighbors have with SKY,Tiscali and Orange etc so i`ll pass on changing suppliers thank you very much.Their all as bad as each other.

We pay for what we get(?) as far as i`m concerned but if truth be told i could`nt really care two hoots about it one way or another,i only even post about it to keep any interested parties up to date with our own NTL120 to V255 adventure and let then know their not alone:)
It`s either that or listen to someone else`s whining over on UF`s;)

As long as one of our BB connections is at least on then i`m happy enough.It`s merely the whinging kids that motivate me into action when theres not enough Mb`s to go round:angel:

There are actually more important things in life than silly bb speeds to stress about and if i was`nt happy to at least some degree then please believe me......i would`nt be here!.

I wonder what would happen if all VM employees suggested their loyal customers buggered off else where:confused:

EDIT:
When all is said and done, it is everyones responsibility to make sure they have dotted the "'i's" and crossed the "t's" before contacting VM, it will save you time, aggro and money.

I could`nt agree more!!

xspeedyx
19-08-2007, 13:36
This seems to be one of your favourite "quotes" about leaving why should we leave when before this miserable upgrade we were all getting fair speeds but since the upgrade it has all gone to pot.

I was born in England but spent many years in South Africa and was paying for dial up so the speeds I am getting now far exceed the dial up I was paying for but when one is paying £37 a month for supposingly up to 20meg then we should get something close and not have to settle for the paltry speeds we get now.

I am just sick and tired of certain people on this board who just seem to point out that downgrading or moving to another supplier is the only option for me it is not I have been with this cable company now for 7.5 years and have never had problems before so to these people go to hell and keep your comments to yourself.

"thats my sunday morning rant" further more I have been a member of this site for a considerable time and my posts were down to only 3 but since VM takeover and upgrade to VIP my posts have increased and would be considerably more but I choose to ignore lots of posts relating to 20meg service.

I only say this because its better to be happy with a provider and not

ECW_Original
19-08-2007, 13:51
@ Darthlinux: The reason I am not leaving is I am not the only person in my household..

I was soo sick and fed up with virgin I actually went through to cancel my services, my time with VM should have ended on Saturday 28th July, BUT my mum STILL wanted it cos she is disabled and needs a landline 24/7 for emergencies, and as she is disabled, she cannot walk, so 'her tv soaps & drama's' as she calls it is the only bit of enjoyment she gets now..

I DID actually call up BT that told me it would cost over £100 to get a BT line in (this house has never had any BT phonelines installed in the past" and of course, we cannot afford this and it seems a bit pointless...

When I asked about their BB, they admit that VM's 'upto' 20Mb BB is VERY unrealistic, but with BT I could expect a more realistic UPTO 8Mb connection, when I did a line test, it shows the max I would be getting would be around 2Mb, but here with VM, the upload speed is damn near solid all the time, and this is what I need the most, since I backup my hard drives to my Gmail account, and it takes its time uploading flat out at 100KB/s, so with an 'upto' 2Mb bb, this would be MUCH slower..

And why the hell should I leave, is it MY fault that I cannot get ANYWHERE near the download speeds they advertise??? no way so I WILL NOT leave, and certainly wont leave just because some random letters on my screen tells me to go if I dont like it, cos to me thats all you are, random characters on my screen... and why the hell should I leave just to give YOU a little bit extra bandwidth??? DEAL WITH IT!!!

xspeedyx
19-08-2007, 14:01
ECW I wasnt been nasty I was just saying you might be happier no need to have a go just take chill pill geez

MrJDGaF
19-08-2007, 14:56
I wish people would take a bit more time to read the posts properly and not always try to twist them into a personal insult. ECW Original I did state that your post made you SEEM as though you should not have to do anything and VM are responsible for everyone not getting 20Mbps. I know that my original post is no help to you and that obviously 2.5Mbps from a 20Mbps connection is unacceptable, but as you're not getting around 10Mbps I don't know why you felt the need to rant at my first post when it didn't concern you, it's for people stuck at 10Mbps, hence the title of the thread.

Muggle, I never stated that anyone getting less than 20Mbps must be a chav/immigrant and deserves it, in fact I said I only get 14Mbps myself so please don't attempt to attribute comments to me that are massive distortions of what I actually posted. I know VM's network is utter crap in some areas and anyone on the recieving end has my full sympathy for what it's worth. This thread was my attempt at helping people stuck around 10Mbps by providing a link that I personally found very useful, but it seems that whenever I post on here I manage to upset a lot of people and have my views/posts completely misunderstood so in future I won't bother.

And for the record I'm working class(Scaffolder) not on minimum wage but definitely underpaid and was born in Chelmsford not that any of that was relevant to my original post.

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

Some people need a bong full of Pollen to chill me-thinks ;)

Agent47
20-08-2007, 20:59
I tried this with my wireless and it went from 400k per second to 1.4meg per second.

Sirius
20-08-2007, 21:20
Muggle, I never stated that anyone getting less than 20Mbps must be a chav/immigrant and deserves it, in fact I said I only get 14Mbps myself so please don't attempt to attribute comments to me that are massive distortions of what I actually posted. I know VM's network is utter crap in some areas and anyone on the recieving end has my full sympathy for what it's worth.

No i just found your post offensive simple as that.

MrJDGaF
20-08-2007, 21:27
Bits or bytes? (the 1.4meg, bits I assume) Better than before I suppose, now if only certain others could be bothered to try it instead of ranting and sending moody PM's...

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

No i just found your post offensive simple as that.

Obviously easily offended then... they were just popular/topical examples of peoples expectations regarding people that won't attempt to help themselves. :banghead:

MrJDGaF
24-08-2007, 07:51
bump

Graham M
24-08-2007, 08:07
I dont think this thread is gonna be any sort of a Phoenix im afraid