PDA

View Full Version : No phone service due to recurring fault

Necro
18-08-2007, 13:14
Several months ago 2 extension lines went dead - this was reported and a tech called out - was then told needed new install as not a fault - after 3 months and tech visits every other week so no extension lines working and main line crashing frequently. Am now unable to use phone at all as if I ring out the phone does not disconnect and I am being billed for calls lasting 24+ hours, if I receive an incoming call the phone doesn't ring but makes a single beep noise, the caller connects but is unable to disconnect for several minutes after hanging up.
After having a tech booked for Tuesday and taking the day off work yet again, I received a call from V-M saying that they were cancelling the tech call out and a manager from the faults dept was going to call out today instead............. 2pm Tuesday a tech calls out to repair my phone lines - explain what I have been told so he says to leave it to a manager to resolve when he calls out.......
Today at midday the same tech who called out Tuesday to repair my phone calls back to do the job - so where is the manager???. why lie to me about a manager call out when the tech could have done the job on Tueday when he originally called.........
Yet again I have a working phone line. no extension lines, have spent the last 1 1/2 hours on the phone to V-M to be told that I need a fault tech to call out............
Why do I feel that I am going round in circles?
Am sick of getting fobbed off by V-M and being blatantly lied too..and as for speaking to India when they can't understand me and just transfer me to various other departments.......
Any help please would be greatly appreciated

Mick Fisher
18-08-2007, 19:59
If VM can't/won't fix it get a connection from a Company that can supply a working line.

I tried a cable phone years ago and after numerous engineers visits it never worked properly, my BT line has worked flawlessly for 30 years apart from on 2 occasions when the overhead cable outside developed a fault which was fixed at the first attempt each time by the BT Engineer who called.

Others have not had such a good time with BT but I would swear by them so far as POTS are concerned. :)

on in an hour!
18-08-2007, 21:33
Several months ago 2 extension lines went dead - this was reported and a tech called out - was then told needed new install as not a fault - after 3 months and tech visits every other week so no extension lines working and main line crashing frequently. Am now unable to use phone at all as if I ring out the phone does not disconnect and I am being billed for calls lasting 24+ hours, if I receive an incoming call the phone doesn't ring but makes a single beep noise, the caller connects but is unable to disconnect for several minutes after hanging up.
After having a tech booked for Tuesday and taking the day off work yet again, I received a call from V-M saying that they were cancelling the tech call out and a manager from the faults dept was going to call out today instead............. 2pm Tuesday a tech calls out to repair my phone lines - explain what I have been told so he says to leave it to a manager to resolve when he calls out.......
Today at midday the same tech who called out Tuesday to repair my phone calls back to do the job - so where is the manager???. why lie to me about a manager call out when the tech could have done the job on Tueday when he originally called.........
Yet again I have a working phone line. no extension lines, have spent the last 1 1/2 hours on the phone to V-M to be told that I need a fault tech to call out............
Why do I feel that I am going round in circles?
Am sick of getting fobbed off by V-M and being blatantly lied too..and as for speaking to India when they can't understand me and just transfer me to various other departments.......
Any help please would be greatly appreciated
quick question necro,the extensions you mention that have gone down,were they installed by the VM tech or were they existing sockets that were in your house on the BT circuit?? if they were installed by the VM tech how long ago were they installed??? you definitely have a ring trip fault on your line but a tech needs to call to establish whether its the internal or external cable at fault,if its old bt wiring,or VM cabling over 12 months old (internally) then its your responsibility,and as such if removed and line works ok you will be liable for a £25 call-out charge,similarly,if its proved to be the cable in the street/garden,or the cable from the external termination box to the master socket,or indeed,the master socket itself then its VM's responsibility,problem is you wont know this until a tech calls out

Necro
19-08-2007, 00:20
All extensions were installed by VM 2-3 months ago - they replaced all external and internal wiring then due to this ongoing problem and said that would resolve it - which it obviously hasn't..........
When they originally installed the phone lines they reconnected old BT/NTL lines which were in the house until several problems resulted in them installing all new cabling.