PDA

View Full Version : Linksys WRT54GS - Reset/reinstall after 20Mb u/g

Lenx
18-08-2007, 13:31
Hi,

at last our little corner of Brum seems to have had its 20Mb u/g made live - and speeds do seem to have improved considerably atm....

However, I found I had to reset and reinstall our WRT54GS using the setup disk this morning before I could access the internet through it.

All the lights on each piece of kit were showing green and not indicating any kind of mechanical problem - modem showed a steady connection all the WRT's lights were not indicating anything was amiss.

Connecting a machine direct to the bb modem worked fine - though I had to switch off the modem each time I changed machines.

Now, having worked through the setup procedure for the WRT all seems to be well.

I've not seen anyone else mention having had the same problem, so it may just be a little local difficulty. But it may be useful if anyone else encounters the same problem.

If anyone has any idea why the WRT would have to been reset/installed I'd be interested to hear them.

Len

Lenx
19-08-2007, 12:53
Additional:

Came down this a.m. to find we couldn't connect to the internet though all lights were showing normally.

Switched off the modem - EPC2100R2 Series - powered it back up, connection remade!

Only had this problem since the u/g to 20Mg came live, what am I missing?

Len

vmuser027
19-08-2007, 13:09
Do you know if your router is able to take 20Mbps? When was the upgrade made live?

Lenx
19-08-2007, 17:15
Oh, it's def capable of 20Mb - when it's working we're getting 17 - 20Mb fairly consistently.

Went live sometime between 2:00a.m - 9:00 a.m Saturday morning.

Len

vmuser027
19-08-2007, 17:33
Maybe its just coincidental and your modem is on its way out?

I thought all of Birmingham was upgraded last month?

Lenx
19-08-2007, 21:43
Maybe its just coincidental and your modem is on its way out?

I thought all of Birmingham was upgraded last month?

Hmm, suppose it could be but.

All of Bham was suppose to be upgraded last month but the application seemed to be very patchy and inconsistent. Some friends got it others didn't - all suffered slowdowns, dropouts and loss of service on an arbitrary basis until the change was made.

Calls to tech services / CS was met with the virtual equivalent of a blank look. Emails to tech services don't seem to be answered with any sense of urgency - two weeks has been the best time response so far.....

If it's my kit causing the problem then fair enough but it should be easier to confirm if it's VM's system that may just conceivably might be having a problem....;)

Just have to keep the fingers crossed and prayer wheels turning:D

Len

fatal_exception
19-08-2007, 22:23
I have also noticed my linksys wrt54GS exhibiting the same behaviour all week seems to have sorted itself now. had to go into the router and hit DHCP release and then renew quite a few times as well. I'm in runcorn.

Since the 20meg upgrade everything has gone to pot. connection seems really flakey I use vonage with my setup so if the modem don't work neither does the VOIP.

Lenx
20-08-2007, 01:47
I have also noticed my linksys wrt54GS exhibiting the same behaviour all week seems to have sorted itself now. had to go into the router and hit DHCP release and then renew quite a few times as well. I'm in runcorn.

Since the 20meg upgrade everything has gone to pot. connection seems really flakey I use vonage with my setup so if the modem don't work neither does the VOIP.

It's nice to know we're not alone:D

I assume my reinstalling the router would have released the DHCP initially, why it's dropping at all is the mystery.

The connection before the u/g process was, to be fair, solid - even if the speeds suffered sometimes.

I can't understand what's happening that the 'connection' out is being lost. Oh well let's hope like yours it settles down.

Len

mcmanic
20-08-2007, 17:04
Abit OT but why install the software disc, or even use the disc, you can log in from a webpage like you can look at your modem setups.

Lenx
20-08-2007, 21:57
Abit OT but why install the software disc, or even use the disc, you can log in from a webpage like you can look at your modem setups.

This is true, but I couldn't access the router via the webpage - dunno why. So when in doubt, reset and reinstall.

I did d/l and install the latest firmware last night - sucker for punishment me - and lo and behold all was well this a.m.

Next stage will be to leave it d/l a big torrent overnight and see if it's still there in the morning....

Len

rtj70
20-08-2007, 22:25
Instead of reset and risk the loss of any config, remove power cord.... wait... and plug it back in. It will remember and clear any issues.

I know the cr*p v7 Linksys WRT54's with too little RAM can suffer with bittorrents.