PDA

View Full Version : phone cable was cut but now coming back

jtfab75
17-08-2007, 11:19
we had telewest phone years ago but then back to bt.not long after telewest came back to do some work,the guy asked if we wanted the cable taking out so he cut it from going into the box outside.
now we're rejoining virgin phone with vip package.
so will the whole cable have to be relayed or can the installers get round it ?

here is a pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/jaysam75/cable002.jpg

Chris
17-08-2007, 11:23
I can't see the pic because our servers at work block Photobucket ...

I think they have connectors they will use if they can and they think the cable's not damaged too much. Re-laying cable from the street up your garden is a faff they will want to avoid at all costs. But, if they do re-use the old cable, make sure the system is working to your complete satisfaction before you let the tech out of your house.

I wouldn't like to imagine what might happen if the cable has been left with a bare exposed end and has got water down it.

bw41101
17-08-2007, 12:47
we had telewest phone years ago but then back to bt.not long after telewest came back to do some work, the guy asked if we wanted the cable taking out so he cut it from going into the box outside.

No offence, but can't see the logic in the Telewest engineer cutting off the connection to your services. Even if it were to be left connected, it wouldn't have caused any problems, unless (of course) it's company policy to do so. Even then, whoever cut the cable should have had the common sense to realise the risk of water ingress could easily cause problems for a later re-installation, at the very least (following good engineering practice), the (cut) end should have been sealed against the weather.

Mind you, thats not to say that any "other" contractor visiting your property would'nt have cut the end off for devilment.

Just make sure that the installer is aware of the fact that it was Telewest (no one else) that cut the connection, lest you be charged for the above. Highly inlikely - but it pays to be prepared.

Good luck and Si thee.

Quam256
17-08-2007, 23:06
Is the the cable going to the grey box from the garden side or the one that went into the house that was cut ?

jtfab75
18-08-2007, 09:32
from the garden side,which leads into the grey box

jtfab75
18-08-2007, 17:54
my brother remembers when it was cut.

4-5 years ago we had trouble with the picture so another cable was layed down in the garden.the installer asked if we had cable telephone and we said no,so he cut the phone cable.
should we contact virgin to tell them it needs relaying ?

Quam256
18-08-2007, 18:33
When they look on the system it will show that service has been in the address before and very likely they will give it to a one man to do as they will believe the cable is to the property.If the the one man comes out and cant repaire or does not have time to fix the cable it will probably get rebooked.It would be best to get intouch with them and tell them what has happened and it should get passed to a 2 man crew who are equiped and will have been given the time to do the job.

jtfab75
18-08-2007, 18:57
cheers for that

Quam256
18-08-2007, 22:22
np tell us how it goes.:)

jtfab75
04-09-2007, 16:58
i emailed them twice about 2-3 weeks ago informing them about the cable.had no answer via email so phoned them this aft and the nice scotish lady said they were aware of the problem .
hope they send more then 1 guy to do the job next friday.

jtfab75
15-09-2007, 07:22
got 2 v+ boxes and modem working ok,sadly the phone line has to be repulled.the installer connected it inside then went to the green box and he said it's not 'toning'.
he said he was going to phone his boss then his boss would phone us to tell us when he's coming.
(we still have talktalk until 12.oo today) so i phone virgin last night and they said it would be done by tuesday.
i did email virgin twice and phoned them that the line would probably need replacing,but what do i know lol

jtfab75
25-09-2007, 12:17
the cable was relaid this morning (was meant to be this aft so well done there) and we have everything working ok !!!
the only headache is the guy gave us a new phone number but we want to keep the current phone numberwe have.
we are with talktalk but this ends on thursday after the 10days termination is over with.i called virgin but they said they can't do nothing until BT have got the number from talktalk.
at least we'll have a phone line that works !!