PDA

View Full Version : Virgin worries

Mrcon
16-08-2007, 14:42
Ok, im planning on changing from my 1.1MB ADSL line to the Virgin 20MB cable line.

I wanted to know how bad is the throttling as I plan on heavy downloading through the night etc...

Also how long does it take from ordering- to installation

I live in the Birmingham area so I know I can get 20MB in my area, so will I get the full 2000kb's download? and whats the upload?

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

whats with the 44 views no replys?

amateurfool
16-08-2007, 14:48

I don't have the 20Mb service so cannot comment, however i had to initially look at your post to find out you were asking about 20Mb.

Hope that makes sense :)

Tijer
16-08-2007, 14:54
20 meg is UPTO 20 meg. When the Traffic Shaping isnt hapening the 20 meg service is goood, saying that tho ive never actually recieved faster than 10.3meg ... but as im on the VIP pack i cant complain as im getting XL TV Movies and Sports and 20 meg BB for 85 quid..

If i was on 20 meg Standalone then i would be complaining!!

Mrcon
16-08-2007, 15:06
wow £85 thats steep, Im planning on paying £29 a month for 20MB and if i don't get it I will not be happy.

I wanted to know more about the installation, What is required etc... and more so, I have a Xbox 360 in a different room to the PC that uses a Ethernet cable, will this be fine where it is, just plug it into the new Virgin router and its all set up, as i don't want to run anymore leads into the room.

mrmistoffelees
16-08-2007, 15:13
Right...

1. Shaping

At this moment in time on the 20mb package if you download over 3gb between the hours of four and midnight you will automatically have STM implimented for four hours when you breached the limit.

2.Installation.

I had my install done about four days after ordering (I think)

3. Download speeds

The Theoretical maximum file download speed is 2.4mbps on the 20mb connection not 2000kb's If you are utilising a wireless network then you will almost certainly not gain that speed. You should expect some slowdown when using a router or a wireless connection.

4.Upload

Theoretical maximum upload speed for 20mb is 768kb's

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

wow £85 thats steep, Im planning on paying £29 a month for 20MB and if i don't get it I will not be happy.

I wanted to know more about the installation, What is required etc... and more so, I have a Xbox 360 in a different room to the PC that uses a Ethernet cable, will this be fine where it is, just plug it into the new Virgin router and its all set up, as i don't want to run anymore leads into the room.

Connect the SACM to the PC via ethernet and configure. Then enable ICS on the ethernet connection and it should all work.

There is an excellent guide/tutorial on ICS on http://www.practicallynetworked.com

xpod
16-08-2007, 15:18

Nobody wants to build your hopes up too high just for them to be dashed possibly:erm:

Many people do get a consistent 20Mb or there abouts(in line with stm of course) but sadly many of us dont get anything consistent at all, let alone anything close to 20Mb.

I`m still on my first week with the nice new "capable" modem but things have actually got worse for us it seems.

I really do hope your first days and weeks are not spent doing continuous speedtests & downloads trying to find this elusive 20Mb but just dont build you hopes up too high until you see it for yourself.
Even just 10Mb seems pretty elusive for us atm and the 20Mb cable modem connection is probably closer in speed to our stb connection just now:rolleyes:

Good luck either way.

xspeedyx
16-08-2007, 15:31
as long as u config it ok then you should get full speed but still waiting for my upgrade

Richy99
16-08-2007, 15:38

VM do not supply a router, thet only supply the modem so if you want to share the internet you will need to purchase a router or use windows ICS as mentioned

if i read your first post right then you will be unhappy unless you are getting 20meg al lthe time? i could be wrong in assuming that but i think that expectation might be a little high

chickendippers
16-08-2007, 15:44

I wanted to know more about the installation, What is required etc... and more so, I have a Xbox 360 in a different room to the PC that uses a Ethernet cable, will this be fine where it is, just plug it into the new Virgin router and its all set up, as i don't want to run anymore leads into the room.Tijer stated that he is on the VIP plan (same as me) in addition to 20 MB you get all the tv channels and the biggest phone package.

Internet speed really varies according to area especially on such a high speed - many servers you will connect and download from won't actually provide you with 20 MB speed, I'd expect 5 MB max from most regular servers. There's a 30 day guarantee, so if speeds in your area aren't good, then you can jump ship without loosing a penny.

VM won't provide you with a router, you'll need to buy one yourself.

xspeedyx
16-08-2007, 15:49
When you purchase a router make sure its a DSL router try serching ebay if u have an account with them some good deals

amateurfool
16-08-2007, 15:56
When you purchase a router make sure its * a DSL router try serching ebay if u have an account with them some good deals

*Isn't there a "not" missing from that sentence. He needs a Cable router, not a DSL router.

mrmistoffelees
16-08-2007, 15:59
*Isn't there a "not" missing from that sentence. He needs a Cable router, not a DSL router.

Incorrect.

DSL Router = Cable
ADSL Modem/Router = BT. Nildram, Pipex etc etc

amateurfool
16-08-2007, 16:06
Incorrect.

DSL Router = Cable
ADSL Modem/Router = BT. Nildram, Pipex etc etc

Sorry, you be incorrect on that one.

DSL (or Digital Subscriber Line) is the blanket term for digital data transmission over copper pair telephone lines.
ADSL (or Asynchronous DSL) is a subset of that.
Same with SDSL, VDSL, etc...

Cable uses a different technology.

Digital Subscriber line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line)

Cable Modem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_modem)

mrmistoffelees
16-08-2007, 16:08
Ahem, maybe i should have added that they are marketed as Cable/DSL routers and such a Cable/DSL router in the UK is advertised to work on a cable network

Hope this clears it up :)

Mrcon
16-08-2007, 16:10
Ok so I need a cable router aswell, On private torrents i should be getting 2000kb's right?

also whats a recommended router?

amateurfool
16-08-2007, 16:16
Ahem, maybe i should have added that they are marketed as Cable/DSL routers and such a Cable/DSL router in the UK is advertised to work on a cable network

Hope this clears it up :)

Which means it can work on either broadband type, as long as you have a suitable modem.

HTH.

xspeedyx
16-08-2007, 16:17
do u guys think a internal pci card is better than a usb connection

Mrcon
16-08-2007, 16:21

yes, USB can only have soo much traffic,

amateurfool
16-08-2007, 16:23
Ok so I need a cable router aswell, On private torrents i should be getting 2000kb's right?

On a good day, with the wind in the right direction, and favourable seas, you should get 2.5MB/S, however this also depends on the other peers of that particular torrent.

I have a D-Link DIR-635, no problems with it so far.

I will say it is worth avoiding the cheaper end of the router market, some of them are notoriously bad (been there, done it, i bought a linksys WRK54G kit, it had a router and pc card wireless adaptor, and didn't cost much more than the wireless card on it's own, BIG mistake).

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Absolutely, i had a usb adaptor, as soon as i did anything cpu intensive the network would drop out. Internal PCI is the way to go.

flowrebmit
16-08-2007, 16:24

Did you have any particular pci card in mind?

Mrcon
16-08-2007, 16:27
Ok thanks, Im going to order it, how long does it take, as i don't want to be without internet for more that a week tops.

welwynrose
16-08-2007, 16:27

don't forget the speed on torrents depends on the number of seeders so you may not get anywhere near that speed

Mrcon
16-08-2007, 16:29
I have a D-Link DIR-635, no problems with it so far.

Any under £50, £79 on ebay is abit steep for a router,

amateurfool
16-08-2007, 16:48
Any under £50, £79 on ebay is abit steep for a router,

£79 may be a bit steep, however it is worth the extra spent.

D-Link DIR-635 @ Dabs (http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=44W8)

However if your budget is tight.

The Linksys WRT54G range have been regularly improved upon, and there is also 3rd party firmware available for them.

Linksys WRT54GR @ Dabs (http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4DYF)

xpod
16-08-2007, 16:48

+1:)

I`m not a 100% sure which TV package we have but we do have everything bar the actual movie channels.We have the vod and the new sports channels although the phone is only free evening & weekend calls.No mobile with them either.

That,our 1Mb stb connection and the so-called 20Mb bb is about £35 all in just now(if that).Even the temporary half price BB is a bit much for what i`ve been seeing this last couple of days if you ask me.:rolleyes:

I certainly would`nt be here now i dont think if it were it not for the "loyalty bonuses" we`ve had by sticking with them,even after some of the nightmares we`ve had in only 17 months.
Of course the speeds have only been a factor of late and their not anywhere near as frustrating as some of the issues we`ve had but as long as they provide -half a service i wont pay anymore than half the price,simple math!

If it`s not resolved within this 3 month period though they better extend it a bit longer next time round because i`m not spending an hour or two on the phone every 3 months playing hopscotch with India and people who dont seem to have too much of clue once it gets past the start>run>hop>skip>and jump part.

Sorry but thats what it`s like at times and i think i could probably plug the toaster in when i call up and it would`nt make much odd`s.I actually went through the unwarranted hassle of having a Windows setup at the ready this time but thats the last time i ever waste my time like that.......

Next time i`ll just go through the motions i think instead of trying to be honest and informative.....if theres a next time.

>rant over<:D

xspeedyx
16-08-2007, 16:51
not really why?

Mrcon
16-08-2007, 16:56
don't forget the speed on torrents depends on the number of seeders so you may not get anywhere near that speed

Im with a newsgroup and many private trackers, so thats not a problem.

£79 may be a bit steep, however it is worth the extra spent.

However if your budget is tight.

The Linksys WRT54G range have been regularly improved upon, and there is also 3rd party firmware available for them.

Linksys WRT54GR @ Dabs (http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4DYF)

Ok Im going to check it out.

+1:)

I`m not a 100% sure which TV package we have but we do have everything bar the actual movie channels.We have the vod and the new sports channels although the phone is only free evening & weekend calls.No mobile with them either.

That,our 1Mb stb connection and the so-called 20Mb bb is about £35 all in just now(if that).Even the temporary half price BB is a bit much for what i`ve been seeing this last couple of days if you ask me.:rolleyes:

I certainly would`nt be here now i dont think if it were it not for the "loyalty bonuses" we`ve had by sticking with them,even after some of the nightmares we`ve had in only 17 months.
Of course the speeds have only been a factor of late and their not anywhere near as frustrating as some of the issues we`ve had but as long as they provide -half a service i wont pay anymore than half the price,simple math!

If it`s not resolved within this 3 month period though they better extend it a bit longer next time round because i`m not spending an hour or two on the phone every 3 months playing hopscotch with India and people who dont seem to have too much of clue once it gets past the start>run>hop>skip>and jump part.

Sorry but thats what it`s like at times and i think i could probably plug the toaster in when i call up and it would`nt make much odd`s.I actually went through the unwarranted hassle of having a Windows setup at the ready this time but thats the last time i ever waste my time like that.......

Next time i`ll just go through the motions i think instead of trying to be honest and informative.....if theres a next time.

>rant over<:D

We have basic cable and a Eurovox, Im going to disconect it when the engineer comes to install the BB, but I would invest in one, Sorry if its not allowed here.

flowrebmit
16-08-2007, 17:11
not really why?

Erm, because you can buy lots of different types of PCI card e.g. audio, ethernet, usb, firewire, etc.

I think the answers have assumed that you meant a PCI card adding ethernet?

Of course, I've probably misunderstood completely, because I couldn't understand why USB was being mentioned in this thread:(

xpod
16-08-2007, 17:36
An ethernet pci card is far better & faster(theoretically? )than usb in my opinion.USB can potentially be a bit of a fuss although my own usb always worked great when i used it,even on Linux.

Ethernet is just so straightforward and simple to use and it leaves the usb ports free.Not that thats always a big deal but still.
It cost me a £1 off ebay for two spare 10/100Mb cards which i used to turn an old beige box we have into an extremely good firewall/router/nfs server.

Ethernet all the way:D