PDA

View Full Version : Throttling during the day now?

PC_Arcade
16-08-2007, 11:24
Sure looks like it :

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/5935/throttlingtg5.jpg

Taken 5 mins ago :(

Nothing was changed to cause the drop in speed and it still hasn't gone back up.

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

Aah, I think the high points were downing from NTL's news servers as well, the low points are solely from UNS, I guess the question should be :

Is anyone else experiencing speed issues from usenetserver.com? or have any ideas as to how I speed things up?

peterjohno
16-08-2007, 15:36
Hi mate , i suffered from this , so i used the usenet iprouting tool and manually changed the route my downloads take. all seems good so far

xspeedyx
16-08-2007, 15:51
havent heard bout this but suely over 600KB/s isnt 5 mb so might be a fault or maintance

dojoman47
16-08-2007, 16:54
I kept getting crappy speeds from Usenet so have now changed to Giganews and have had no problems with speed issues since.

PC_Arcade
16-08-2007, 17:02
havent heard bout this but suely over 600KB/s isnt 5 mb so might be a fault or maintance

It's not just UNS unfortunately, it's across the board, my connection keeps dropping then restarting, it's been getting worse all day :(

Yeah, I realised that after I'd posted, hence my second post - I think there's a fault, but having spent 20 mins on the phone to faults, I couldn't even get them to understand what the problem is, let alone take any sensible steps to sort it out :(

Cost me £5 to be fobbed off, I phoned CS to complain and was told I should phone tech support back(!) - I pointed out that I felt that this was unfair as it had already cost me money to be fobbed off and I wasn't prepared to go through it again, I was told that I had to and there was nothing that CS were able or prepared to do!

Hugh
16-08-2007, 17:11
PC_A,
could you reduce the picture size in the OP, please, it is too large.

PC_Arcade
16-08-2007, 17:34
Sorry, can't edit post anymore

7@m3 G33k
16-08-2007, 17:46
It's not just UNS unfortunately, it's across the board, my connection keeps dropping then restarting, it's been getting worse all day :(

Yeah, I realised that after I'd posted, hence my second post - I think there's a fault, but having spent 20 mins on the phone to faults, I couldn't even get them to understand what the problem is, let alone take any sensible steps to sort it out :(

Cost me £5 to be fobbed off, I phoned CS to complain and was told I should phone tech support back(!) - I pointed out that I felt that this was unfair as it had already cost me money to be fobbed off and I wasn't prepared to go through it again, I was told that I had to and there was nothing that CS were able or prepared to do!

This is precisely the kind of issue that demonstrates how unreasonable charging a premium rate for BB tech support is. No-one at VM has any direct incentive to resolve a fault like this or even acknowledge that it is a fault. From the script-jockey on the phone to the tech support shift manager all of their stats will improve by taking the line: "You have a service, there is no fault at our end, if it seems slow it must be a problem with your PC/router" and pocketing 25p/minute for however long it took. :mad:

PC_Arcade
16-08-2007, 19:19
Yep, I'm furious.

VM have become money grabbing ****. It's become all about what they can screw out of the customer.

They don't pay for Sky anymore, and yet we pay the same as we used to before it was removed, we can't download when we're actually in and we pay the same as we used to before the restrictions, if their systems go wrong we have to pay them to get them to fix it (although given tech "supports" track record this seem a little optimistic) on top of the premium we already pay - I'm sick of it and I'm sick of Virgin Media, the problem is where I live there's no viable alternative (unless I want 512Kb ADSL LOL)

StanleyNTL
16-08-2007, 20:29
I noticed throttling on 5pm Friday a week ago, downloading the latest Thunderbird, I was getting less than 100Kb/s. Later at 9.30pm I was getting in excess of 600Kb/s, downloading Nvidia Geforce drivers.
I thought there was a 750mb limit for 4mb package, I'm not even close before I get throttled!!!!:mad::mad:

Stuart
16-08-2007, 20:34
Sorry, can't edit post anymore

That image is linked from Image shack. If you upload a new image in exactly same place, using the same name (assuming you can do that with Image Shack), it will replace the old one.

PC_Arcade
16-08-2007, 22:09
You can't do that with imageshack, it changes the name. Sorry

Although mods, you have my permission to remove the piccy, I can describe it : huge drop in speed :lol:

Sherlock614
17-08-2007, 09:02
They don't pay for Sky anymore, and yet we pay the same as we used to before it was removed, we can't download when we're actually in and we pay the same as we used to before the restrictions, if their systems go wrong we have to pay them to get them to fix it (although given tech "supports" track record this seem a little optimistic) on top of the premium we already pay

That just about sums it all up :tu:

xspeedyx
17-08-2007, 13:58
How can you say that really VM have probelms an u have to pay for tech support and u get a credit back if its a fault at vm end and btw sky charge for there tech support and customer service but vm give free customer service you bitch but there is always another provider

PC_Arcade
17-08-2007, 14:33
How can you say that really VM have probelms an u have to pay for tech support and u get a credit back if its a fault at vm end and btw sky charge for there tech support and customer service but vm give free customer service you bitch but there is always another provider

You get your money back ONLY IF VM admit to the problem being at their end, the experience I had was that I coudn't get the "technical" support representative to deviate from his script in order to explain that I was getting constant disconnections, he was of the opinion that as it was working after he'd finished his script that was the end of. I tried to explain that it had been working, but was disconnecting and was told "well it's working now" and if it disconnected again I should phone back. It cost me 20 mins on the phone @ 25p per minute to get nowhere.

Why the hell should care what sky charge for or don't? I'm not a Sky customer, and have no intention of becoming one.

In all honesty, I hate this attitude of "if you don't like it leave" - As a paying customer, I'd much rather see the company I choose to use improve their standards, according to the "if you don't like it leave" brigade Sky, and ADSL are worse, so please let me know where I should take my custom.

I never said I wanted to leave VM, I just wanted what I considered to be a valid complaint to be taken seriously. It wasn't and I couldn't give a toss how Sky / BT would have reacted, I'm not their customer.