PDA

View Full Version : Free Wireless

willas00
14-08-2007, 23:27
Ive subscribed to the free offer of the trial thing with wireless. Does any one know if any one who gets in before the date actually gets the wireless kit or what?

Agent47
14-08-2007, 23:29
it will probably be only a few that are picked. Why do VM want to offer wireless as its totaly bollox compared to wired.

hokkers999
15-08-2007, 00:06
it will probably be only a few that are picked. Why do VM want to offer wireless as its totaly bollox compared to wired.

That depends on whether you take the time to set it up properly. I only use wireless WPA2+TKIP encrypted and it works perfectly.

As an aside if you think the 20meg service is that bad why not downgrade to the 2meg and save £19/month?

Agent47
15-08-2007, 00:15
As an aside if you think the 20meg service is that bad why not downgrade to the 2meg and save £19/month?

i will probably be doing that soon, though at the moment i pay 28quid for 20mbs.

goldoni
15-08-2007, 09:05

Some people ask such silly questions,,VM are offering wirleless service which as you state is (totaly bollox) its to go with the totaly bollox 20Mb service ;)

Matth
15-08-2007, 21:58
Some of the competition are offerring wireless routers, so I guess they have to consider it as well.

Only difference, with ADSL, it means a wireless modem router instead of the cheap & cheerless USB modem, and a device which is usually less problematic. For cable, it means an extra router in addition to the CM or STB.

GeoffB
16-08-2007, 06:06
My wireless connection from my cable modem and Belkin router is rock solid and has consistently good speeds. In a fairly large house where the cable comes in to the front room many people have to go wireless, especially with several computers scattered around. As someone has said, if wireless is set up properly and secured, it's excellent. And I've just got a cheap Lexmark printer with a wireless connection so I can print from anywhere in the house without wires - excellent on my Virgin wireless network. Wires are on the way out!

mbriody
16-08-2007, 11:20
Ha!

Just wait until a few more of your neighbours go wireless and see how reliable it is when 4 or 5 of you are connected at the same time and one of your neigbour's routers is more powerful than yours :)

Current wireless technology just isn't reliable enough. True "N" class wireless using a dual frequencies will be better but the kit is rare and expensive at the moment.

I have a draft-N wireless router for the kids but my main connections are done though wired ethernet (I got 7 outlets built into my new house for £150) or HomePlugs. They just work, reliably 24/7.

My wireless connection from my cable modem and Belkin router is rock solid and has consistently good speeds. In a fairly large house where the cable comes in to the front room many people have to go wireless, especially with several computers scattered around. As someone has said, if wireless is set up properly and secured, it's excellent. And I've just got a cheap Lexmark printer with a wireless connection so I can print from anywhere in the house without wires - excellent on my Virgin wireless network. Wires are on the way out!

amateurfool
16-08-2007, 11:39
Ha!

Just wait until a few more of your neighbours go wireless and see how reliable it is when 4 or 5 of you are connected at the same time and one of your neigbour's routers is more powerful than yours :).

My neighbour on the left uses wireless, doesn't affect me, my neighbour on the right has 2 wireless setups, neither of which affect me. In fact, there are about 7 separate wireless networks around my location that my PC can see (not including my own) yet my wireless network is faultless. I think i have the most powerful router :D

Agent47
16-08-2007, 16:32
Most people signing up for this offer only want the free router.

Shaun
16-08-2007, 17:05

Was that breaking news??:dozey:

JackSon
16-08-2007, 18:26

Perhaps they should start taking nominations for 'most blindlingly obvious statement of the month'.

People reading of an offer for a free router only sign up for the free router. My god, Holmes. How do you do it?

privateb
24-08-2007, 15:16
I have just had a cal from vm and they have put me on the free wireless router trial.
Cool

Hugh
24-08-2007, 15:20
I have just had a cal from vm and they have put me on the free wireless router trial.
Cool

Congrats - feedback, please, when you have installed it. :)

LaineY
24-08-2007, 15:28
Cool

Jammy Boon!

WillPS
24-08-2007, 19:55
I'm on the trial, yay!

Feel sort of greedy as I already have a router, but I guess I'll set that up at my girlfriend's house (or take the Virgin one over there if it's naff!).

Wonder when the box will drop through my letterbox?

RedDragon
24-08-2007, 21:10
I was under the impression that VM were going to produce a combined Cablemodem/Wireless router in which case you will end up with a spare cm not router!! Let us know which you get :)

willas00
24-08-2007, 21:23
Ive had no call so i guess at the moment im not on the free trial :( dam would of been nice to get a router for free and a wireless card for the PC

bilal
24-08-2007, 23:37
I got a call first at work.. but I didn't answer as I was serving customers. If I knew it was Virgin I would've rushed to the toilet (we aren't allowed mobiles on us) and answered lol.

Got home and dad says he got a call as well, and he said to them to call back tommorow as his son probably signed up to it.

I really hope they call back :D. If not I'm going to be very annoyed :(, and might ring them to ask :P

looselipsuk
25-08-2007, 01:10
Will let you all know how I get on as I've had a call saying they are sending out the wireless router and am on the trial.

tucker61
25-08-2007, 08:52
I had missed call yesterday, never left a voicemail though. Hope they call back.

willas00
25-08-2007, 14:20
Well if a few have missed the calls wonder if they may still ring some more.. if so im not ignoring any calls today!!

christopherw
25-08-2007, 23:24
Grr, I left my details more than once via the webpage and never got a call :( and that makes me a sad panda.

mike86
30-08-2007, 10:46
No call for me :(

ShadowTD
30-08-2007, 10:50
Me neither. :(

janipewter
30-08-2007, 11:30

Even if that is so, chances are it will be the same as the old wireless kits that Blueyonder used to sell, you'd get a Netgear router with firmware that was modified by BY, and a USB WLAN dongle, and the dongle and router would only work with each other. You couldn't connect to any other network with the dongle, and the router will only allow that dongle to connect to it.

Edit: just to add, for those who think you can't get wireless cable modems, have a look at this (http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sbg900/) :)

WillPS
04-09-2007, 18:27
Any idea when this will arrive? It's been nearly two weeks since I was called...

looselipsuk
10-09-2007, 12:39
Have been in touch with Installations today and the girl said they have had an email letting them know they will be getting enquiries about this offer.
The upshot is there is a delay, but the equipment will be being sent out shortly. Also may get another phone call beforehand.
Seems like normal Virgin service prevails even for this. Advertise something before being able to deliver the goods.
Still looking forward to taking part in the trial when the equipment does eventually arrive though.

julianellis
10-09-2007, 17:31
Recieved wireless Router today (Netgear WGR614 v6) but I cannot try it yet as they forgot to send the wireless adapter for my PC.

julianellis
12-09-2007, 17:28
Adapter turned up at last, all set up and using it now. Top speed up to now on speedtest.net about 12.5Mbs download 680Kbs upload, (connected directly to modem I usually get up to 19.5Mbs down 680Kbs Up)

WillPS
12-09-2007, 18:41
Nothing here yet!

techyguy4
12-09-2007, 20:03
hi all
while setting up a wireless router, make sure to enter a network password. It will prevent your neighbours from using your bb connection. connection type is DHCP. and a sequential reboot of modem and router is required. switch on the modem first and wait for the lights to be stable then router and then the pc.

goldoni
14-09-2007, 13:00
After reading this I thought I would find out from the horses mouth so to speak about the wireless router VM are running a trial with which I understand is the WGR614 that Netgear say is their entry level wireless router and is no able to pass speeds above 2Mb and 4Mb at a push or the speed will be affected.

They recommend as a minimum the WNR854T which is their RangeMax but they added the speed throughput can’t be guaranteed unless the DGFV338 wireless router is used then they can guarantee you will get the full speed as when using a direct cable on the 20Mb service.

So now I don’t know which one to go for, I may just save up and get the DGFV338 wireless router which I understand is about £150ish against £39.00 for the free one VM are giving out.

For further information why not phone up pre sales.

goldoni
19-09-2007, 10:09
Update: I have just been out and got a Belkin G plus Mimo F5D9230-4 router that was up for sale for £68.99 but when I went to pay it was on a special at £59.99 that also came with a free Belkin G plus Mimo F5D9050B USB connection.

I was going to pay an extra £39.99 for a PCMCA Card but as the USB devise came free I thought I would give it a try and it works great even though I have a 7m cable from the VM modem to the WiFi route which is up stairs so it will give the best cover around the house, well it’s a shoe box with ole in ta roof. :p:

WillPS
19-09-2007, 18:02
Received this today. I really shouldn't be surprised that they've screwed up the billing, should I?

Hi there,
Just a quick note to keep you informed on the forthcoming Virgin Media Wireless Trial.
Firstly, thank you for registering and congratulations on being selected for our Trial. We're sure your going to love our service and all the benefits going wireless brings to your broadband experience.
We are putting the final touches to our service and the trial should be starting soon. Keep checking your email and we'll be in touch as soon as we are good to go.
We'll then send through all your kit along with everything you need to get you set up and supported.
If you've seen a charge on your bill for the wireless equipment, don't worry that's being corrected and the credit will show on your next bill.
Many thanks from Virgin Media.

looselipsuk
28-09-2007, 12:25
Adapter turned up at last, all set up and using it now. Top speed up to now on speedtest.net about 12.5Mbs download 680Kbs upload, (connected directly to modem I usually get up to 19.5Mbs down 680Kbs Up)

Did you ring up to get the adaptor, and if so which number, as my setup arrived today with no adaptor?
I rung the number on the letter which transferred to Tech Support and they said to ring CS. Will be checking my phone bill to check I have not been charged at 25p a minute.
CS could not find out anything and are supposed to be ringing me back.
At the moment the router is still sitting in it's box as useless without an adaptor.

kriskelly128
28-09-2007, 16:35
Got mine today everything in the same bag (router,CD,Adapter)

Easy to set up works grate shame about speed still need a wired conection to get 20 meg but i got it for free so cant complain

Kris

julianellis
28-09-2007, 17:59
To get the adapter I Rang number on letter that says 5p a minute for the length of the trial. got through to broadband support and had to tell them which number I had rang so they could adjust call charge from 25p a minute.

The man on the phone had to check with supervisor to find out the adapter was meant to be sent, then told me I would be rang back the next day, I never got a ring back but adapter turned up a few days later (by markings on packaging it was posted day after my phone call)

just got new bill £20 charge on it for adapter.

looselipsuk
29-09-2007, 12:51
Well tried ringing again and still told to ring CS. They then put me through to Sales who gave me the same 0845 number to ring. Having now spent over 45 minutes over two days trying to sort this out, the stupid thing can now be used as a doorstop till the first questionnaire comes through. Then I can let them know if they bothered to send out all the kit I would be only too happy to trial it for them.

Shaun
29-09-2007, 17:06
To get the adapter I Rang number on letter that says 5p a minute for the length of the trial. got through to broadband support and had to tell them which number I had rang so they could adjust call charge from 25p a minute.

How? A credit to your BB bill?

looselipsuk
01-10-2007, 13:44
Just another update.
Decided to try ringing for a third time and this time the chap did seem to know what I was talking about.
After waiting while he checked the order, he said there is a delay with the delivery of the Wireless USB Adaptor and it will be another 7 - 22 days before it is sent out.
This trial is turning into a complete shambles and cannot wait for the first feedback form to arrive so I can tell them what a complete farce this whole thing is.

WillPS
02-10-2007, 09:12
I've still not received my wireless pack...

Is anybody in the same boat?

privateb
02-10-2007, 11:20
Mine came on Thursday and I have just set it up: - 5 mins from start to finish and I was on line, the easiest router I have ever set up.
i am on the 2mb package and I have just done a speed test on www.speedtest.net and got 1973kbs download speed and 191kbs upload speed.

WillPS
08-10-2007, 12:49
Sent to me today:
Hi there,
Ready to be cut loose and start surfing the web wirelessly? Then we've got great news for you - our Virgin Broadband wireless trial is now up and running!
You might already have your wireless kit. Or if not, it's on its way to you, and will arrive within the next few days.
When you're ready to get going, simply plug it in and follow the easy instructions to get set up. We've included plenty of help and information with the kit to get you going. All you need to do is get stuck in.
And don't forget - when you've had a chance to play with it, we really want to hear how it went for you. Your feedback is really important, as our trial is all about making sure our Wireless Kit is easy to use, making sure it does what you want it to do. We promise we'll use the feedback you give us to make any improvements where we can. You can leave your feedback at any time by logging on to our customer experience survey by clicking the link below.
We hope you enjoy your wireless surfing!
Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team

Should be fun!

looselipsuk
11-10-2007, 14:33
Sent to me today:
Hi there,
Ready to be cut loose and start surfing the web wirelessly? Then we've got great news for you - our Virgin Broadband wireless trial is now up and running!
You might already have your wireless kit. Or if not, it's on its way to you, and will arrive within the next few days.
When you're ready to get going, simply plug it in and follow the easy instructions to get set up. We've included plenty of help and information with the kit to get you going. All you need to do is get stuck in.
And don't forget - when you've had a chance to play with it, we really want to hear how it went for you. Your feedback is really important, as our trial is all about making sure our Wireless Kit is easy to use, making sure it does what you want it to do. We promise we'll use the feedback you give us to make any improvements where we can. You can leave your feedback at any time by logging on to our customer experience survey by clicking the link below.
We hope you enjoy your wireless surfing!
Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team

Should be fun!

Had a quick look at the feedback site and seems nowhere to tell them still waiting for the adaptor to turn up.
Guess will have to wait to get a message asking why not leaving feedback, as there is no way am ringing that number again and going through to India to be told to do a ring around with nobody knowing what it is all about.
Will keep fingers crossed that the last guy was right that it will be sent out in due course.
Cannot understand why it might take up to 22 days to send something that I can go and buy from my local computer shop over the counter.

looselipsuk
17-12-2007, 14:04
What a strange trial.
Had message now finished and thanking everybody that took part for all their comments.
Only ever had one message asking for feedback.
Also, if I had not gone out and bought my own wireless adaptor, it would still be sitting in the box it came in.
I thank them for the free wireless router, but seems a total cock up from beginning to end.

Northeast_user
17-12-2007, 14:29
Some people ask such silly questions,,VM are offering wirleless service which as you state is (totaly bollox) its to go with the totaly bollox 20Mb service ;)

Well at least they're keeping to their standards :|