PDA

View Full Version : virgin.net

Copperfaced Jack
14-08-2007, 21:14
I don't have a virgin.net email address, I have 'blueyonder' one. To get help from Tech Support online the support page insists I should enter a virgin.net address.
haven't got one, don't want one....any way round this??
All I want is some help from tech support for freezing cable TV, and slow internet that takes forever to load a page
Trying to sory out my internet probs online and can't do it. - its barking.:dozey:

7@m3 G33k
14-08-2007, 22:35
Hi Jack

I recently used the tech support web form to request some info from VM and I have a blueyonder e-mail address too. Is that what you're trying to do? If so can you post the address of the offending page that insists on a virgin.net address?

Having said that it did take tech support over two weeks to get back to me - but, eventually, it did work! :dozey:

Shaun
15-08-2007, 01:26
I don't have a virgin.net email address, I have 'blueyonder' one. To get help from Tech Support online the support page insists I should enter a virgin.net address.
haven't got one, don't want one....any way round this??
All I want is some help from tech support for freezing cable TV, and slow internet that takes forever to load a page
Trying to sory out my internet probs online and can't do it. - its barking.:dozey:

What page are you using?

virginmedia.com/whatever or virgin.net/whatever?

If it's the letter you need the former. virgin.net is their ADSL arm no their cable arm :)

LaineY
15-08-2007, 08:50
If you are having slow internet speeds and TV problems like you described, give us a call, but speak to TV Faults first on 151 from you're virgin line.. as both faults could be linked and it could save you a call to Tech Support..

Copperfaced Jack
15-08-2007, 09:57

This is the page I went from:
http://gps.virgin.net/service-announcements/status then
The Virginmedia Customer Zone Contact Us page. http://www.virgin.net/customers/contactus/ and choose either remote asistance or online email support options.
can't get through it without having to supply a virgin.net email address.

having continuous problems with freezing and pixellated TV, loss of sound cured by changing channel then changing back, and internet that continuously times out looking for web pages (the egg timer of death) and and 'retry' prompt.

Had an engineer out yesterday and he replaced the set top box as it was 10 years old and on its way out, but the problems continue. Incidentally I called 151 TV faults and they said they could deal with the TV problems but the Broadband issues were not in their remit. I think they are linked so who takes responsibility for both issues if it is a network problem as opposed to a problem unique to my household? Both sets of problems started at the same time.
Faults guy said it may be they have to replace all the cables to my house which would explain the faults to both TV and internet.
Anyway, another engineer booked to come out tomorrow. The one that came yesterday was great and said that (he was ex telewest) Virgin have realised that they have to reinforce the Telewest customer service ethos and have realised the mistakes they have made recently.
This has become multi threaded so sorry for that.

Incidentally have just checked my Motorola surfboard SB5100 power levels and found:
Downstream SNR 37db and power level 12db and
Upstream Power level is 48 db.
Is that right?? Im on XL BB, XL TV and phone package thingy.

hokkers999
15-08-2007, 10:03

having continuous problems with freezing and pixellated TV, loss of sound cured by changing channel then changing back, and internet that continuously times out looking for web pages (the egg timer of death) and and 'retry' prompt.

And you actually *pay* money for that? Ditch the service and switch to Sky. At least it "just works" and for me it has done since October 1990, I still have my old original pink Sky Pioneers contract somewhere :angel:

Copperfaced Jack
16-08-2007, 08:40
Another engineer booked for today.......TV still freezing and loss of sound and cable modem power levels Downstream 20 and upstream 40.
let's see what happens eh?
Going to ask the engy to have a look at the modem as well this time - i presume they are well versed in both the TV and the BB aspect??

Shaun
17-08-2007, 15:25

This is the page I went from:
http://gps.virgin.net/service-announcements/status then
The Virginmedia Customer Zone Contact Us page. http://www.virgin.net/customers/contactus/ and choose either remote asistance or online email support options.

Virgin aren;t the best at replying to emails at the best of time - but you're using the wrong site. You want www.virginmedia.com not www.virgin.net. The latter is for ADSL - BB provided over a BT line. You're on Cable so dealt with by a different part of the company.

Easy mistake but not that obvious. :)

As for contacting them via their site - don't bother they never bother to reply in a timely manner :)

buckleb
17-08-2007, 15:44
Incidentally have just checked my Motorola surfboard SB5100 power levels and found:
Downstream SNR 37db and power level 12db and
Upstream Power level is 48 db.
Is that right?? Im on XL BB, XL TV and phone package thingy.

My readings, on a modem (same model as yours) that works at maximum speed, are:

SNR 39 dB
Power Level 11 dB
Upstream Power Level 43 dBmV

so very similar to yours except for the upstream Power level.

Copperfaced Jack
17-08-2007, 22:35
Roger Dodger....

Engy came, replaced card in set top box, said broadband was nothing to do with him but that those power levels were good...in fact he said that there is no 'optimum'range, the higher the power levels, both up- and downstream, the better.
he said that 40 up and down would be good ie the higher the power levels the stronger the signal (???)...who am I to argue?

Going to give it a week or two then if not improved 10 years of Telewest/Virgin business is going elsewhere.

Thanks for help.