PDA

View Full Version : Application Form Help

gazzae
13-08-2007, 09:35
Hi All,

I'm thinking of leaving my current job, I've been doing it for 8 years so its been a long time since I filled out an application form!

Any way the form asks me to... "detail how you meet each of the criteria as outlined in the personnel specification."

Two examples of the criteria are...

Ability to stay calm and work under pressure.
Use of initiative to solve problems.

So when filling out the form should I simply put...

I used my initiative to solve problems when xyz happened. An example of when I was able to stay calm under pressure was abc.

Or should I be phrasing it in a different way?

Thanks

Graham M
13-08-2007, 09:44
I think they might be looking for a bit more imagination when answering ubiquitous questions like that, try and impress them!

punky
13-08-2007, 10:01
How many lines space do they give you?

I'd also say you should be a bit more prose-y. Explain what happened, the thoughts at the time, and how it was sorted.

gazzae
13-08-2007, 10:15
So something like..

In my current job we had a failure with xyz. This is a critical piece of equipment and therefore placed a lot of pressure on me to fix the problem quickly. I worked through my standard troubleshooting routine, taking care not miss a simple problem, and solved the problem which was caused by abc.

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

How many lines space do they give you?

Its an online application form so space isn't limited. Though I'd want it to be short and to the point.

danielf
13-08-2007, 10:17
I worked through my standard troubleshooting routine

Generally along the right lines, though I doubt they will be impressed by the bit I quoted (especially considering the other question).

gazzae
13-08-2007, 10:30
Generally along the right lines, though I doubt they will be impressed by the bit I quoted (especially considering the other question).

Why not?

To me that says remaining calm and going though the standard routine of common faults. Not jumping in and pulling the machine apart only to find someone kicked the plug out.

danielf
13-08-2007, 10:35
Why not?

To me that says remaining calm and going though the standard routine of common faults. Not jumping in and pulling the machine apart only to find someone kicked the plug out.

That's alright. I would just word it differently, as 'standard routine' doesn't sound very imaginative. You just need to give it the right spin. Being calm in an imaginative sort of way, that sort of stuff.

Edit: Perhaps try something like: 'In a logical and consistent manner'? This sounds less like you were following a script.

gazzae
13-08-2007, 11:11
That's alright. I would just word it differently, as 'standard routine' doesn't sound very imaginative. You just need to give it the right spin. Being calm in an imaginative sort of way, that sort of stuff.

Edit: Perhaps try something like: 'In a logical and consistent manner'? This sounds less like you were following a script.

Sounds good, thanks.

gazzae
13-08-2007, 14:24
Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but, as the question says "detail how you meet each of the criteria" does that mean I need to reference my qualifications in the answer even though they are detailed elsewhere in the form?

Like I said I can't remember the last time I filled out a job application form!

Hugh
13-08-2007, 14:29
Probably, but it may help if you listed the criteria, to help us make an informed judgement (if you wish).

gazzae
13-08-2007, 14:38
The education criteria that applies to me are...

Minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above, to include English, Maths and a Science subject;

Which is why I wasn't sure to include them in that answer as the education part of the form has them all listed.

Delta Whiskey
13-08-2007, 15:46
"detail how you meet each of the criteria as outlined in the personnel specification"

I think they are asking you how you meet the job criteria they've set out. Given the job requirements, state why you think you are suitable for this position.

Simply stated: This is the job, now tell us why we should give it to you.

gazzae
13-08-2007, 16:41
Thanks for your help everyone, only its been a waste of time :(

I thought the driving Categories C1 and D1 were the standard ones but on checking my license they aren't!

Damn the job would have been a good opportunity :( oh well.

Hugh
13-08-2007, 16:45
Thanks for your help everyone, only its been a waste of time :(

I thought the driving Categories C1 and D1 were the standard ones but on checking my license they aren't!

Damn the job would have been a good opportunity :( oh well.

Gazzae, re-check your licence, buddy.

Just checked mine, and it states "B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p" - and I haven't passed anything except the standard driving test (unless, of course, these are just provisional for those categories).

How old is your licence (have you had it renewed since before you were 21)? - a lot of the categories you have to be over 21 (and your sig says you are).

Linky (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547) for driving tests passed after 1 January 1997, which may explain it (I passed mine waaaaay before that date).

Just found this page Minibus (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022498)
"If you had entitlement to drive cars prior to 1 January 1997 you can drive a minibus provided you are 21 or over and the minibus has a maximum of 17 seats including the driver's seat and is not being used for hire or reward."

gazzae
13-08-2007, 16:48
Gazzae, re-check your licence, buddy.

Just checked mine, and it states "B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p" - and I haven't passed anything except the standard driving test.

Mine just says B1, B fkp

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

How old is your licence (have you had it renewed since before you were 21)? - a lot of the categories you have to be over 21 (and your sig says you are).

Linky (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547)

It was renewed this year.

punky
13-08-2007, 16:51
Mine says B, B1 and fkp

I guess it depends on when you passed. I passed in '99. People that pass their test now need to pass a CBT I think to drive a 50cc scooter, but I can without one.

gazzae
13-08-2007, 16:52
I found this on the site you linked to foreverwar, this must be why I don't have them..

New rules from 1 January 1998
Your minibus entitlement will remain valid in the United Kingdom (UK) and on temporary visits abroad until your licence is next renewed. When your licence is renewed, your minibus entitlement can only be issued if you make a special application, which will involve meeting higher medical standards.

Hugh
13-08-2007, 17:01
Ah well - better luck next time.....

Here's hoping.