PDA

View Full Version : Some web addresses not resolving correctly

D_Skids
12-08-2007, 19:36
For the last couple of days I have struggled to get onto my own website (http://www.showstunners.com) through Virgin media.

It is as if is a DNS issue although once I did get through.

I know it is Virgin because I can't get to it on my home machine or on my work laptop but a friend who isn't on Virgin can get to it no problem at all.

I can get to it via ftp but cannot open the website itself or any web pages.

Please could other Virgin users try accessing it please to see if they have a problem. (please be careful when opening it as some pages do contain images unsuitable for younger viewers) although the front page doesn't.

If it is relevant I am in Northampton and I have rebooted my cable modem.

Many Thanks

JohnHorb
12-08-2007, 19:39
Opens OK here. (Cheshire on Baguley server)

gunnersboy
12-08-2007, 19:42
OK here as well. Nice website, lets just hope your post wasn't advertising for your own site and you can actually access it ;)

thechojin
12-08-2007, 19:48
Works fine for me in FireFox 2.0.0.6 and I.E 7

D_Skids
12-08-2007, 20:03
Thanks for checking it out guys, seems like it might be a Northampton issue.

And I honestly can't get on to it, it wasn't an advertiseing ploy :)

It is really annoying as I wanted to make a few changes but I can't check them out.

Mick Fisher
12-08-2007, 20:07
Works just fine for me in NN10. I do use OpenDNS though so maybe that's got something to do with it?
Give OpenDNS a try? It can't hurt..............:)

D_Skids
12-08-2007, 20:19
I have OpenDNS set, still no joy.

Cheers for the suggestion though

gunnersboy
12-08-2007, 20:27
I have OpenDNS set, still no joy.

Cheers for the suggestion though

If another user is using OpenDNS and it's working for him but not you then surely it can't be Virgin Media but user specific? You are both going through the same DNS servers and they will be the ones retrieving the data rather than the Virgin ones?

D_Skids
12-08-2007, 20:36
If another user is using OpenDNS and it's working for him but not you then surely it can't be Virgin Media but user specific? You are both going through the same DNS servers and they will be the ones retrieving the data rather than the Virgin ones?

I see your point but I used to be able to get into it and now I can't and I haven't changed anything.
Also I have tried on my work laptop (through my connection) and it doesn't work.

Maybe it isn't DNS and it is a problem with the Northampton (NN3) proxy servers

Mick Fisher
12-08-2007, 20:51
Maybe it isn't DNS and it is a problem with the Northampton (NN3) proxy servers
I thought they got switched off.

I'm not using a proxy so try going to your Internet Options and make sure you don't have a proxy specified.

D_Skids
12-08-2007, 21:09
I thought they got switched off.

I'm not using a proxy so try going to your Internet Options and make sure you don't have a proxy specified.

Sorry, when I said proxy I just meant going through whichever server/gateway I am going through.

I do not have a proxy set. Although I had tried setting different Northampton ones (I didn't realise they were switched off)

homealone
12-08-2007, 22:22
have you tried this proxy?

webcache.virginmedia.com

port 8080

- trying to use any other than that or 'none' are the only choices I have, now that Nottingham caches are off, but I can't detect a difference between the options...

?

Broken Hope
13-08-2007, 01:24
I've been having a similar problem for the past few days also. I'm in Nottingham and can't access my guild's webpage (I play WoW) using the URL, but if I use the IP address it connects without problem so it's definitely some sort of DNS issue.

I tried using webcache.virginmedia.com and get the following error

[code=DNS_TIMEOUT] A DNS lookup error occurred because the request timed out during the lookup.

D_Skids
13-08-2007, 21:56
Just as an update I used the same laptop at work as I have tried on my connection and I could connect fine from work so it rules out any PC settings.

I bet you can understand how frustrating it is not to be able to view your own website :mad:

Not having a go at any of you guys by the way, you have been extremely helpful :)

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Another update.

With me not doing anything else it is now working fine :)

Clearly Virgin have resolved something.

Lets just hope it stays working.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help.

Darren :)

Mick Fisher
14-08-2007, 03:19
Glad it's working at last. :)