PDA

View Full Version : How to change IP Address ??

pauljrog
12-08-2007, 18:08
Hi, i have a Virgin media broadband modem connected to a Netgear wireless router, i then have 2 laptops connected in a wireless network.
I need to change my IP address, can anyone help me to do this?
Thanks.

gaffer_gump
12-08-2007, 18:16
Some good tips here, (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33614425-can-i-change-ip-address-all-page-2.html) post 19 works as I tried it :D

And :welcome: to the forum

pauljrog
12-08-2007, 18:48
Thanks for that info, i have downloaded the app.

Question is do i have to use that on both wireless laptops?, if both of the laptops are connected to the router at the same time how does the modem know which IP address to use?

Thanks

JohnHorb
12-08-2007, 18:51
A bit of confusion here, methinks. The laptops each get their IP addresses ( something like 192.168.x.x) from the router. The router itself gets its IP address from Virgin. If you are trying to get a new 'external' IP address from Virgin, then you just need to change the MAC address of the router (ussually somewhere in the router settings).

Sirpingalot
12-08-2007, 19:09
My Striker Motherboard has two lan ports on it..if I change which one the ethernet cable is connected to, I get a different IP address. Ie. 78.xx.xx.xx on one and 82.xx.xx.xx on the other, so it is possible.

JohnHorb
12-08-2007, 19:11
My Striker Motherboard has two lan ports on it..if I change which one the ethernet cable is connected to, I get a different IP address. Ie. 78.xx.xx.xx on one and 82.xx.xx.xx on the other, so it is possible.

I'd guess that is without a router?

Graham M
12-08-2007, 19:12
Easiest way to do it with a router is to change the WAN Port's MAC Address on the router's settings by a digit

Raistlin
12-08-2007, 19:14
Aren't MAC addresses supposed to be unique to the device? If we're changing our MAC addresses on a whim aren't we likely to cause conflicts with someone else's device somewhere along the line?

Or have I misunderstood?

Graham M
12-08-2007, 19:16
Aren't MAC addresses supposed to be unique to the device? If we're changing our MAC addresses on a whim aren't we likely to cause conflicts with someone else's device somewhere along the line?

Or have I misunderstood?

Supposed to be but aren't by any stretch of the imagination.

Sirpingalot
12-08-2007, 19:17
I'd guess that is without a router?

Yes, without a router.

JohnHorb
12-08-2007, 19:18
As I understand it (and am open to correction) the modem itself has an external MAC address and gets its own IP. These must not be tampered with (otherwise known as modem cloning). It is OK to change MAC addresses om local PCs and routers.

pauljrog
12-08-2007, 19:18
Hi, i've gone into my netgear router details and there is an internet port MAC address and a LAN port MAC address?
I guess i change the last digit of the internet port MAC address by one digit?

Thanks.

Sirpingalot
12-08-2007, 19:19
My MAC always remains the same but my IP changes when I connect it to a different LAN port.

Graham M
12-08-2007, 19:20
Hi, i've gone into my netgear router details and there is an internet port MAC address and a LAN port MAC address?

Thanks.

Give it a go!

JohnHorb
12-08-2007, 19:27

Thanks.

Yup.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

My MAC always remains the same but my IP changes when I connect it to a different LAN port.

'cause each LAN port has its own MAC address.

pauljrog
12-08-2007, 19:55
Job done, yes i changed the internet MAC address by one digit and i've got a new IP Address !!!

Thanks everyone on this site, your GREAT !!!!

Paul

v0id
12-08-2007, 20:26
Why would you NEED to change your external IP anyway, unless you've been naughty on some site that's banned you ;)