PDA

View Full Version : is it VM again?

Kindra
09-08-2007, 22:39
How come when I download from the newsgroups is starts at 17.5MBps then after 10 mins ish it goes down to 4.6Mbps.. This is from www.astraweb.com server and they say they dont have a problem.. Is it VM scamming me as per usuall.. as I do have an issue with my so called 20Mb.

many TIA
K.................

hokkers999
09-08-2007, 23:10
How come when I download from the newsgroups is starts at 17.5MBps then after 10 mins ish it goes down to 4.6Mbps.. This is from www.astraweb.com (http://www.astraweb.com) server and they say they dont have a problem.. Is it VM scamming me as per usuall.. as I do have an issue with my so called 20Mb.

many TIA
K.................

Because it takes about that long to hit the buffers and have your download speed cut by 75% :dozey:

Kindra
09-08-2007, 23:12
so what your saying is that I have 20MB but I can only download 25% of that? isnt that some sort of cntractual con of a blatentant rip-off?

hokkers999
09-08-2007, 23:14
so what your saying is that I have 20MB but I can only download 25% of that? isnt that some sort of cntractual con of a blatentant rip-off?

You have a download quota, when you go over that your download speed drops to 5 meg for supposedly 4 hours, there are many threads on here about it. Spend a while searching and reading...

Hugh
09-08-2007, 23:17
Traffic Management (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html)
During peak times, the top 5% on the Size: XL package download at least 3GB of traffic each.
Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till midnight) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 5Mb, with their upload speed set to 256Kb. This will last for 4 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

Kindra
09-08-2007, 23:26
Well I have had cable telewest/blueyonder from the start and I never experienced anything like this If I payed for 1, 2, 4, or even 10Mb I got what i payed for, no matter what time it was.. I always paraised cable connection and said it was the best.. seems you went down the corperate greedy rip-off road..
Next you'll be telling us we have a download limit or a "fair play" policy..

what?
09-08-2007, 23:29
this does apply on all tiers not just xl
with different download limits set on each tiers

when you hit the preset limit you will be capped for 4 hours
after this period if you hit the limit again before 12 you will be capped for a further 4 hours
even if this means you being capped to 3:59am

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html <more info here

hokkers999
09-08-2007, 23:32
Well I have had cable telewest/blueyonder from the start and I never experienced anything like this If I payed for 1, 2, 4, or even 10Mb I got what i payed for, no matter what time it was.. I always paraised cable connection and said it was the best.. seems you went down the corperate greedy rip-off road..

It only came into effect when the service in your area was "upgraded" to 20 meg.

Gerorge
10-08-2007, 00:06
why doe the web site say unlimited downloads

what?
10-08-2007, 00:08
you do have unlimited downloads still

you're never stopped downloading, just the speed you download at is slower

chickendippers
10-08-2007, 13:23
Next you'll be telling us we have a download limit or a "fair play" policy..There has always been a fair usage policy.

vmtech
10-08-2007, 15:24
yeah know how you feel i completely disagree with this, would be an ok thing if it was till they done some upgrades but not a long term thing

7@m3 G33k
10-08-2007, 15:43
How come when I download from the newsgroups is starts at 17.5MBps then after 10 mins ish it goes down to 4.6Mbps..

So in that 10 minutes you've downloaded over 1.3Gb (bytes not bits) of news groups...hold that thought for a second...

...but I'm guessing you're not reading all the info on those newsgroups are you? This has been blazoned across all the UK tech sites for weeks if not months.

How about you either (i) setup your newsreader to download at an off-peak time so you don't hog all the bandwidth the rest of us are paying to use too; or (ii) don't download vast quantities of information that you cannot possibly read/use. :p:

Kindra
11-08-2007, 14:28
WTF you on about ??
"So in that 10 minutes you've downloaded over 1.3Gb (bytes not bits) of news groups...hold that thought for a second..."

who said anything about how much I had downloaded, I was on about the actual speed that posts were bieng downloaded over a 10 min period, not constantly over 10 mins. "duh"

And...

"...but I'm guessing you're not reading all the info on those newsgroups are you? "

Who said anything about reading info.

And as for the other bag of wind you said:-

"How about you either (i) setup your newsreader to download at an off-peak time so you don't hog all the bandwidth the rest of us are paying to use too; or (ii) don't download vast quantities of information that you cannot possibly read/use. :p"

So you want me and everyone else to use there connection "off peak" so you can get a better connection.. rofl.. that like saying " everyone - dont use there cars in the morning or afternoon, just so I can get to work or travell around with out getting into trafic jams.."

And HTF do you know what I get from NG's I only get what I require :P.

7@m3 G33k
11-08-2007, 18:28
WTF you on about ??
<snip>
who said anything about how much I had downloaded, I was on about the actual speed that posts were bieng downloaded over a 10 min period, not constantly over 10 mins. "duh"

Ok - I made a reasonable assumption based on partial information - I stand corrected.

Who said anything about reading info.

I was suggesting that if you were actually reading the newsgroups then you would have been aware that VM were going to throttle the bandwidth of excessive downloaders for months.

And as for the other bag of wind you said:-

That's grumpy old bag of wind to you :p:

So you want me and everyone else to use there connection "off peak" so you can get a better connection.. rofl.. that like saying " everyone - dont use there cars in the morning or afternoon, just so I can get to work or travell around with out getting into trafic jams.."

Oddly enough, no that is not what I meant at all. I thought what I meant was fairly obvious, but for your benefit here's the FP (http://www.fisher-price.com/uk/) version:
(i) bandwidth on any network is a limited commodity;
(ii) therefore from (i) we can deduce that it is possible that on any given network it is possible for that network to reach capacity if too many network users create traffic on that network up to the limit of their connection speed to the network;
(iii) to avoid (ii) from happening some from of traffic management or traffic shaping is used to ensure that there is access to the network for all legitimate users;
(iv) VM have decided that (iii) on their cable network will take the form of throttling the DL & UL speed of users who exceed a predetermined quantity of traffic in peak times (4pm to 12am) for a period of four hours;
(v) to avoid (iv) it is a relatively simple task for users to schedule heavy traffic applications (like P2P) to off-peak times to avoid being throttled (by VM anyway... :devsmoke:);
(vi) if (v) is beyond you there will be someone here to help you with it.

Plain enough now? Have a nice day! :)

Bengie
11-08-2007, 18:37
Traffic Management (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html)
During peak times, the top 5% on the Size: XL package download at least 3GB of traffic each.
Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till midnight) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 5Mb, with their upload speed set to 256Kb. This will last for 4 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

So if I download 3GB then I will be put on 5MB.

Great, I'll do that now. I would love 5MB. I'm on 10 at the moment and have never reached anywhere near 5 let alone 10, so lets see if it works.

Hugh
12-08-2007, 11:00
So if I download 3GB then I will be put on 5MB.

Great, I'll do that now. I would love 5MB. I'm on 10 at the moment and have never reached anywhere near 5 let alone 10, so lets see if it works.

Only if you can download 3Gb in 8 hours between 16:00-24:00 (or 17:00-01:00GMT) - and by the sounds of the problems you've benn having, unlikely.

Downgrade to 4mb, buddy - save money.

I am on 4mb in Leeds, and it has been constant 3.8 for the last year - try it, you may be fortunate like me.