PDA

View Full Version : New Wired Router. 20Mb. Opinions Please?

allanbish
09-08-2007, 16:02
I'm soon to be upgraded to the 20Mb service and it occurs to me that i need a new rounter, I have a Linksys BEFSR81 and it's done me great stead all this time (6 years or so) but it only has a 10mb WAN port.

Now i need to get a better one and have been looking at Netgear FVS114 ProSafe and the Netgear RP614. i have 4 Units online at any one time but all pass through a Netgear 8 port Prosafe Gigabit switch before the router. So i don't need many ports on the router it's self as long as 1 is an uplink.

Looking for guidance from the experts here. Please all opinions and comments will be helpful.
Thanks

JackSon
09-08-2007, 18:11
I went hardcore and got a Linksys RVS4000 as it has Gigabit WAN/LAN. Was pricey at around £70, and is like ricking horse dung at the moment - took 3 weeks to obtain it. Are cheaper alternatives with 100 base-t WAN prt out there, best look in the netowrking section for inspiration -> http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/33617322-which-router-for-20-meg-connection.html like this for instance :)

allanbish
09-08-2007, 19:59
That looks great, and was expecting to spend about £75 anyway. But i've seen reviews that say in order to get full speed you have to turn off the IPS. Is this Correct?

hokkers999
09-08-2007, 23:18
I'm soon to be upgraded to the 20Mb service and it occurs to me that i need a new rounter, I have a Linksys BEFSR81 and it's done me great stead all this time (6 years or so) but it only has a 10mb WAN port.

Now i need to get a better one and have been looking at Netgear FVS114 ProSafe and the Netgear RP614. i have 4 Units online at any one time but all pass through a Netgear 8 port Prosafe Gigabit switch before the router. So i don't need many ports on the router it's self as long as 1 is an uplink.

Looking for guidance from the experts here. Please all opinions and comments will be helpful.
Thanks

I have a Linksys WRT-54G which I reflashed with the DD-WRT firmware. Can now do encrypted (WPA2) connections at nearly 20meg...

JackSon
10-08-2007, 00:36
That looks great, and was expecting to spend about £75 anyway. But i've seen reviews that say in order to get full speed you have to turn off the IPS. Is this Correct?

It is, yes. With IPS enabled it runs at 15-16 Mbs, which is still quick. You get the full 20Mbs with IPS off, but the firewall is still active.

I haven't gotten to a decision yet as to run with it off or on so I just turn it off when I want top whack on a download and set it back on when done for 'normal' use. I still have to read up on the benefits of using IPS versus the risk of running without it, although even without IPS, it's a fairly secure router. My PC is firewalled and anti-vuris protected in addition to that anyway, not to mention being behind NAT of the router. Nothing is totally bulletproof I know - if somebody is determined enough to get into a system, given enough time, they will. The kiddies should be kept busy though :)

Got to say, was the easiest install of a router I have had yet (previously a LinkSys BEFSR41, Belkin 4 port), just plug it in, boot up modem, router then PC and internet worked! None of this wizard rubbish ;)

allanbish
10-08-2007, 13:20
Thanks to everyone for you come back. all your input has been great.

Having used the linksys BEFSR81 for many years the linksys RVS4000 looks very tempting. As said before my concern is the unstable Wan-to-Lan speed that reviews have shown. If i'm getting teh 20mb line speed it would be nice to actually recieve something near that (i'm not stomping on others opinions here). The setup and install of the linksys is an advantage as i've used one for many years and they are so easy to setup (without cd or manuals!) the only reason i've been looking at the netgear FVS114 is are review i read here ( http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/29864/109/1/5/ ) and shows a good Wan-To-Lan speed, so it should do me a few good years, i'm also using a GS108 Prosafe Gigabit switch in-house for my other needs. Enough of my rubbish!

So £41 for the Netgear or £72 for the Linksys ??

Does anyone have anything elese to offer, or any opinions on the two stated here??

Thanks Again all

steve1961
10-08-2007, 15:44
I've just upgraded to the D-Link DIR 655 as my old Belkin couldn't handle the 20 meg service. It's very expensive but it has one of the fastest wan to lan throughputs available, so shouild cope with much faster Broadband speeds as and when they're available.

evilmonkey
10-08-2007, 19:40
The dlink dir 100 is under £20 and has a 100Mb wan port.