PDA

View Full Version : ntl business 2050 cable modem problems

symmetry
09-08-2007, 11:40
Hi all,

I'm having a wee problem getting access to port forwarding on our new 2050 cable modem. Basically the options just aren't there, it's as if the login I'm using doesn't have full priviledges.

Has anyone come accross this before or does anyone have the admin login for this cable modem?

Cheers.

Fyreheart
29-08-2008, 13:23
I have exactly the same problem...and it seems there is noway round it according to NTL customer service or tech support! Especially since I'm on the 20mb service I can't even upgrade to a static IP to disable nat'ing within the 2050 and allow my own router to do the job.

This means I'm stuck with no port forwarding and half my business apps not working because of it!

Does anyone here know of that way around the limited set of options available on the 2050?

Kymmy
29-08-2008, 13:25
Ask then for a static** IP (£10 single set up fee for 1 or 5), that'll remove the NAT option though a single PC will then need a firewall or you'll need an external router (at least that'll be able to port forward)

**For static read "sticky" as there are situations when they could change*

Fyreheart
29-08-2008, 13:30
Hi Kymmy....please see my edit....I've been informed by NTL/VM that a static IP is not an option for me.

Kymmy
29-08-2008, 14:29
Let me guess you're on 20Mb???

For some reason the sticky's aren't in the config for the 20Mb (perhaps the VM techies we have around can explain) and is one of the reasons as to why I haven't upgraded from 10Mb with the other main reason being the pathetic upload speed of 1Mb which is only 300Kb higher than the 10Mb. There has been word though that the lack of sticky IPs is only a temproray sitaution..

Fyreheart
29-08-2008, 14:46
Indeed I am on 20meg.

So I'm limited to no static IP & my ntl 2050 modem doesn't allow for port forwarding. That plus as you mention the upload...has to make for the most comical business service I've ever used!

Can anyone give me a tiny ray of light at the end of this tunnel....or shall I just give up now?

dev
29-08-2008, 15:13
is the modem currently doing some form of NAT?

is it forwarding everything to one IP or nowhere?

Kymmy
29-08-2008, 15:13
I'm very suprised that they can;t just upload a config for a non-NAT system (with or without sticky IP's, at least that way you could use your router..

Fyreheart
29-08-2008, 15:45
I don't get why NTL can't disable the NAT'ing either. Does anyone in the "know" get it?

I also don't understand why someone at NTL didn't think it might be a problem to offer a business service which enforces NAT, but has no port forwarding either.

Ignitionnet
29-08-2008, 15:49
At an educated guess it's either

1) Because when the new uBR10k's go live and 20Mbit customers get pushed over to them it might break things and is being worked on or
2) Someone forgot.

ccarmock
29-08-2008, 20:20
Having recently just had the business 10 Mb/s service installed I asked why fixed IP addresses are not available on the 20 Mb/s business service.

I was told that the business 20 Mb/s connections will be moving to the DOCSIS 3 platform and at that time will require new addresses. So rather than issue fixed addresses that they know will soon change they have decided not to offer them on the 20 Mb/s service yet.

After the move to DOCSIS 3 they do plan to offer fixed IP addresses on that service.

Also the way fixed IP addresses are delivered to business customers currently varies depending on whether you are on the ex-NTL platform or ex-Telewest.

Being on the ex-Telewest platform I do have the advantage of a reverse DNS entry of the form: host-xx-xx-xx-xx.static.telewest.net

Kymmy
29-08-2008, 21:08
If it's then moved to DOCSIS3 all the 20Mb structures will probably be standardized...I wonder if that'll mean the loss of the telewest statics for 20Mb business customers

Ignitionnet
29-08-2008, 21:15
Yay Door number 1 was a winner.

They could still in theory offer statics and not have them change however it would require them to start using PPP on the business services and tunnel connections to the existing uBRs which seems unlikely as well as being a total hack.

Statics will have to move to accomodate the 10k's, at the moment they just use reserved IP addresses from the existing 7246 uBR's DHCP scopes so clearly they can't be carried over as it'd break routing.

ccarmock
30-08-2008, 12:33
Since the telewest mechanism appears to be slightly better than the ex-NTL offering in that they do define reverse DNS that signify the static nature of the address hopefully when they move to DOCSIS 3 then they will adopt that mechanism across the board.

It's an opportunity for them to truely merge the infrastructure taking the best elements of both legacy platforms.

Kymmy
30-08-2008, 12:36
Oh, here she comes again...

It's Winifred the CF's pet flying pig ;)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/38.gif

eth01
30-08-2008, 12:39
afaik this is the only one being used...

cmbus-pkg[1/2/3]-nat-any.cm

Ignitionnet
30-08-2008, 16:07
afaik this is the only one being used...

cmbus-pkg[1/2/3]-nat-any.cm

The static profiles don't have a different config file? They must do to allow the larger number of CPEs?

eth01
30-08-2008, 17:12
The static profiles don't have a different config file? They must do to allow the larger number of CPEs?

the number of CPE's is considerably higher with the business configs. you'd use a router/switch if you wanted to exceed the limit..

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

these are the business configs.

they're different to bund03.cm etc

Ignitionnet
30-08-2008, 17:23
the number of CPE's is considerably higher with the business configs. you'd use a router/switch if you wanted to exceed the limit..

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

these are the business configs.

they're different to bund03.cm etc

Bit lost. As standard business packages come with a single IP address with additional IPs as an optional extra which would necessitate a different config for the modems.

You sure there's not a NAT and non-NAT config?

To allow the 5 IP address option would need the max-cpe option in the config file to be changed from 1 to 5 which would need a different file?

Kymmy
30-08-2008, 17:26
On the NTL side the standard installation is a NAT config to the modem with NO sticky IP, if you go for the sticky single or 5 IP's then the modem gets a NO-NAT config.

Ignitionnet
30-08-2008, 17:32
On the ntl side a single sticky IP will carry the same config to the modem but will have a static entry in the DHCP server associating that modem MAC address with that IP address.

A 5 IP customer requires a different file for the DOCSIS parameter I mentioned above, max-cpe.

Munkeh
30-08-2008, 18:23
On the ntl side a single sticky IP will carry the same config to the modem but will have a static entry in the DHCP server associating that modem MAC address with that IP address.

A 5 IP customer requires a different file for the DOCSIS parameter I mentioned above, max-cpe.

Correct :)

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Yay Door number 1 was a winner.

They could still in theory offer statics and not have them change however it would require them to start using PPP on the business services and tunnel connections to the existing uBRs which seems unlikely as well as being a total hack.

The 10k's don't support that though, so a no goer, even though I think it's quite nice solution! That's how the (recently removed) AOL service was presented. No hacks here.. move along please! :)

Ignitionnet
30-08-2008, 19:15
Ah best get onto Cisco to get em to add LTC functionality to the uBR version of the 10k IOS :)

My job to come up with quite nice solutions to stuff, I'd best get this one patented before it appears on a VM architecture document :p:

Munkeh
31-08-2008, 09:43
My job to come up with quite nice solutions to stuff, I'd best get this one patented before it appears on a VM architecture document :p:

Heh... you're about 5 years too late for that man, it's been in and removed now! :D

cybernetic_tiger
31-08-2008, 13:14
Don't know if this is any help, its for the previous version as I don't have the business service I can't say if its the same...

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v1&c=19

Was it the technical team in Newport that you spoke to??

Fyreheart
31-08-2008, 22:51
Don't know if this is any help, its for the previous version as I don't have the business service I can't say if its the same...

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v1&c=19

Was it the technical team in Newport that you spoke to??

Nope those articles are no help as the 20mb business service restricts the 2050 modem so that none of the advanced config is available.

So from the looks of all the techy talk above which lost me in places NTL where right (for a change) my choices are downgrade to 10mb or wait. :cry:

woderwick
05-11-2008, 21:43
Hi Guys,

Im having somei ssues with my newly installed 2050. I'm on the 4m Business package with 5 Static address but I think NAT is enabled on my cable modem so having issues creatig my VPN through my Draytek router. I have spoken to NTL and they dont seem to know whats going on. Is it possible for me to change this or do they have to push the config?

The Modem is running:

Boot Code - 2.1.6l
Software Version - 5.68.1000
Hardware Version - 4.10

Cheers

Ryan

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Just seen this on the link in the previous post:

USB = RG Mode (NAT)

q Indicates that the modem is set to the residential gateway mode.

Mine has the usb light on? Im guessing this means its in the wrong mode?

Kymmy
05-11-2008, 22:07
Log into your members services account on the business website, that'll tell you what your IP allocation is... If it's not been activated on your account then ring up business tech support on 0800 953 0180

Jon987
25-08-2009, 20:08
I know this is an old post but I recently had the same problem as the OP and I wanted to share my solution.

I've solved this problem WITHOUT having to downgrade my NTL:Business account from the 20mb(which they don't/can't offer static IP addresses for) to 10mb.

You can set up port forwarding and many other advanced options by logging into your cable modem using IP address 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1.

Do NOT use the default username and password.

Use the following:

Username: admin
Password: cableroot

Now you'll see advanced options, one of which lets you set up port forwarding

So you'll need to forward the ports you want to your ROUTER'S IP address first using the modem. Then set up port forwarding as normal using your router.

I hope that helps anyone who was in the same stupid situation as me and the OP.

Kymmy
26-08-2009, 11:25
Hmmm, interesting.. it also allows you to swap between NAT, router and bridged modes

Nomgle
13-01-2010, 14:25
I know this is an old post but I recently had the same problem as the OP and I wanted to share my solution.

I've solved this problem WITHOUT having to downgrade my NTL:Business account from the 20mb(which they don't/can't offer static IP addresses for) to 10mb.

You can set up port forwarding and many other advanced options by logging into your cable modem using IP address 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1.

Do NOT use the default username and password.

Use the following:

Username: admin
Password: cableroot

Now you'll see advanced options, one of which lets you set up port forwarding

So you'll need to forward the ports you want to your ROUTER'S IP address first using the modem. Then set up port forwarding as normal using your router.

I hope that helps anyone who was in the same stupid situation as me and the OP.
We used exactly the same login - but we then switched the Modem from NAT mode back to Bridge mode (as it should correctly be !).
There's no need to do any configuration at all on the Modem once it is back in Bridge Mode - if you need to do any Port Forwarding, then do it on your seperate Router.
This method also eliminates the NAT-inside-a-NAT problem that you'll have when connecting a standalone router to the Business Cable Modem.

It's worth pointing out that this problem has absolutely nothing to do with dynamic IPs, sticky IPs, static IPs, the 20Mb service, or anything else even remotely related to Virgin Internet's services - it's simply a case of the modem being in NAT mode instead of Bridge mode.
If you're wanting to use your own standalone router (as I imagine most businesses are !) then NAT-in-the-modem is the wrong way to go about things.

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Hmmm, interesting.. it also allows you to swap between NAT, router and bridged modes
Bridge mode works exactly like the Home Cable Modems - it just passes the public IP address (static or dynamic, it doesn't matter) out on the Ethernet Port. When you then connect your router, the router sees the public IP address on it's WAN side as you would expect.

I have absolutely no idea why Virgin supply the Business Modems with NAT enabled - most businesses will be using their own router to meet their Firewall/PortForwarding/UPnP/VPN/etc needs, and certainly won't want to put up with the super-limited feature-set of the Virgin Modem :) Hell, it's not even configurable at all without the "secret" username and password above !

Kymmy
13-01-2010, 14:51
Probably because at that point it was easier to provide a single point modem/router.. I'm more suprised that they never brought out this sort of modem for everyone

Nomgle
13-01-2010, 17:11
Do they actually contain different hardware inside the case ?
They look identical to the Virgin Cable Modem I have at home - I suspect the Business versions are just running a different firmware allowing access to the NAT and Routing functions (which you then need to disable as per the above :) )

As an unrelated aside to anyone else reading this, once you've disabled the NAT and started using your own router, you'll probably find it has a setting for a DynDNS account. Go grab a free one from www.dyndns.com and then enter the details - hence giving your router a publicly accessible DNS name. If the cable modem's IP address then changes, it doesn't matter because your router will update the dyndns.com server - and your publicly accessible DNS name will always be pointing to the correct IP number. It's a free way to remove the need for a static IP (because without one, any port forwarding is useless when the public IP number changes...).

Kymmy
13-01-2010, 17:37
Yes the 2050 has more memory than the 250 it was based on