PDA

View Full Version : More secret trials

Paul H
09-08-2007, 10:59
4Mbps is being throttled down to 2Mbps on the old STM, but now it has come to light that the 2Mbps is being throttled further down to 1Mbps. This company is intent on ripping its customers off no matter what.

UncleBooBoo
09-08-2007, 11:04
It's worse than that, when I signed up to their 2MB service I got 2MB in the day and 512K in the evening! Even tried 4MB but same!! 4MB in the day but only 512K in the evening!

Anyway I guess I was lucky to be covered by the 30 day moneyback guarantee! at least with sky I get 3MB day and night!

Hugh
09-08-2007, 11:06
Whereabouts is this 4Mb -> 2Mb taking place?

Not in Leeds....
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 10:05:10 UTC
Test 1: 1024K took 2143 ms = 477.8 KB/sec, approx 3937 Kbps, 3.84 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 2123 ms = 482.3 KB/sec, approx 3974 Kbps, 3.88 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 2133 ms = 480.1 KB/sec, approx 3956 Kbps, 3.86 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 4266 ms = 480.1 KB/sec, approx 3956 Kbps, 3.86 Mbps
Overall Average Speed = approx 3956 Kbps, 3.86 Mbps

squirrel1970
09-08-2007, 11:09
yup.. our 4mb connection is steady as a rock.... if we've had any problems, it's been down to the router and or maintainence...
:)

Paul H
09-08-2007, 11:09
They're changing people's contracted speeds and the STM policy without informing anyone, they think they can do this and get away with it by calling it a trial.

edit:
The old trial is now in force and this is a new trial.

Chris
09-08-2007, 11:12
4Mbps is being throttled down to 2Mbps on the old STM, but now it has come to light that the 2Mbps is being throttled further down to 1Mbps. This company is intent on ripping its customers off no matter what.

Could you post us some speed test results from your connection please Paul?

mrmistoffelees
09-08-2007, 11:16
so let me get this right 4mb is being throttled back to 1mb ??

Mind, if 20mb is throttled back to 5mb then it would sit right ?

Hugh
09-08-2007, 11:18
They're changing people's contracted speeds and the STM policy without informing anyone, they think they can do this and get away with it by calling it a trial.

edit:

Evidence / linky, please?

Paul H
09-08-2007, 11:18
Could you post us some speed test results from your connection please Paul?

Now?

Chris
09-08-2007, 11:19
Now?

At whatever time of the day you believe you're being throttled. :)

Paul H
09-08-2007, 11:22
Evidence / linky, please?

I can't post either cos the last time I posted the evidence/link I was told it had no place in here. it's in virginmedia.feedback. Fergal Butler is the one.

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

At whatever time of the day you believe you're being throttled. :)

I'm not being throttled. it's others who are having their speeds throttled to 1Mbps from the 2Mbps that are. :dozey:

Chris
09-08-2007, 11:24
I can't post either cos the last time I posted the evidence/link I was told it had no place in here. it's in virginmedia.feedback. Fergal Butler is the one.
---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------
I'm not being throttled. it's others who are having their speeds throttled to 1Mbps from the 2Mbps that are. :dozey:

So, you're not being throttled, and you're not prepared to tell us how you know that anybody else is being throttled ... not much of a basis for discussion here is there? :monkey:

Paul H
09-08-2007, 11:29
So, you're not being throttled, and you're not prepared to tell us how you know that anybody else is being throttled ... not much of a basis for discussion here is there? :monkey:

It's breaking news mate. only just come to light less than an hour ago. it does not have to mean that I have to be part of the trial to warrant it a basis for discussion. :rolleyes:

Stuart
09-08-2007, 11:30
It's breaking news mate. only just come to light less than an hour ago. it does not have to mean that I have to be part of the trial to warrant it a basis for discussion. :rolleyes:

No, but some actual evidence would be nice..

{FU}Fubar
09-08-2007, 11:30

Hardly breaking news if you cant give proof or the source of the info , ;)

Paul H
09-08-2007, 11:33
Hardly breaking news if you cant give proof or the source of the info , ;)

Open your news reader and go to the group 'virginmedia.feedback'
what is wrong with some people?

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

No, but some actual evidence would be nice..

>Alex,
>
>Please see the thread today in the support newsgroup entitled "STM check" re
>4Mbps being throttled down to 2Mbps, *and* then throttled further down to
>1Mbps...
>
>Can you confirm whether this is true or not?
>
>Mark

Hi Mark,

Our networks team continue to periodically trial various policies of
STM with different thresholds, measurement periods, and policy
enforcement periods. These periodic trials look at how we might tweak
the existing policies in response to potential future traffic trends
in order to continue to minimise the effects of the policies on
customers usage.

These trials continue to be carried out on an area by area basis as,
and when, we see particular peak usage trends in an area which we
believe may be representative of a longer term peak time usage trend.
The results of these periodic trials are constantly reviewed to enable
us to be ready to modify the policies to continue to minimise the
effects of the policies on customers at peak times as traffic trends
change over time.

As these trials affect only a very small percentage of the customer
base and are fairly dynamic in nature, with configurations changing
frequently during any particular trial, it's not really practical to
constantly provide details of what specific trials are underway where
at any one time.
--
regards,

Fergal
Internet Product Architect
Virgin Media

----------------------------------

If you're changing people's contracted speeds and their STM policy, you
should really let them know. You have no trouble sending emails or
putting notices in announce for maintenance, you should certainly be
doing the same for changes in people's STM limits even if it's only
"dynamic in nature"

Ideally you should actually be upgrading your network for the ever
increasing customer bandwidth requirements, rather than secretly
chopping even more speed from people who dare to use their broadband on
your ever more overloaded network.

I presume the XL speed won't get chopped down even more, as they already
get chopped to 25 percent of their normal speed?

Hugh
09-08-2007, 11:39
Where does it actually say in Fergal Butler's reply that the 4mb to 2mb to 1mb STM is happening? He neither confirms or denies it.

Chris
09-08-2007, 11:41
<snippage>

What you've just posted is someone else making the same allegation as you, and then someone at VM declining to say whether it's true or not.

On what basis, then, do you make the claim, as you did in your first post, that "2Mbps is being throttled further down to 1Mbps." (emphasis added by me). ?

Paul H
09-08-2007, 11:42
Where does it actually say in Fergal Butler's reply that the 4mb to 2mb to 1mb STM is happening? He neither confirms or denys it.

He didn't confirm or deny the last spout of trials either did he? Alex Brown even denied they were happening when asked from the start!

Hugh
09-08-2007, 11:44
He didn't confirm or deny the last spout of trials either did he? Alex Brown even denied they were happening when asked from the start!
Please answer the question I asked you, rather than using sophistry.;)

He also didn't deny or confirm that the Earth is going to be wiped out by a giant flaming meteor - are we to take it that is going to happen as well? :D

Paul H
09-08-2007, 11:47
<snippage>

As long as it generates revenue on the 25ppm support line, then I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

Chris
09-08-2007, 11:49
As long as it generates revenue on the 25ppm support line, then I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

See, now you're shifting onto another subject entirely.

Are you suggesting that VM mucks about with the network purely to get people phoning them on their premium rate number, to earn a bit more cash?

Hugh
09-08-2007, 11:49
Is this the old "if you can't prove it by evidence, change the subject by slandering them another way" ploy? :dozey:

Paul H
09-08-2007, 11:51
Please answer the question I asked you, rather than using sophistry.;)

I'll tell you that the throttling isn't in place at 10am ;)

Not in Leeds....
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 10:05:10 UTC

He also didn't deny or confirm that the Earth is going to be wiped out by a giant flaming meteor - are we to take it that is going to happen as well? :D

I didn't see anyone ask him that question? :D

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

Are you suggesting that VM mucks about with the network purely to get people phoning them on their premium rate number, to earn a bit more cash?

It's not just me that has that crazy idea. let's put it to OFCOM? ;)

Chris
09-08-2007, 11:54
It's not just me that has that crazy idea. let's put it to OFCOM? ;)

If you think you can give OFCOM credible evidence that that is going on, then by all means go ahead, and please create a thread when you get your reply from them so we can all talk about it.

However, let's not lose sight of the fact that you created this thread to make a definitive claim about VM throttling 4Mb customers right back to 1Mb ... even though you have totally zilch-oh evidence that this is the case.

Paul H
09-08-2007, 11:59
If you think you can give OFCOM credible evidence that that is going on, then by all means go ahead, and please create a thread when you get your reply from them so we can all talk about it.

However, let's not lose sight of the fact that you created this thread to make a definitive claim about VM throttling 4Mb customers right back to 1Mb ... even though you have totally zilch-oh evidence that this is the case.

Whatever Chris. just let us get on with it, and stop trying to be a barrier between us and them, and when it does turn out that I am right you can stand back and say at least I tried to put a stop to it, but the truth is out, just like the last one to do with secret trials that didn't exist.

Chris
09-08-2007, 12:02
Whatever indeed. I'm not here to accuse anyone of being right or wrong, I just like bold claims to be matched with clear proof. It's more interesting, and allows for informed discussion. In the absence of any proof, all we have is yet another flaming rant against Virgin Media. This may be therapeutic for you, but we are not a Hell site and we try to be constructive (note this does not exclude the possibility of criticism).

dev
09-08-2007, 12:09
sooo no evidence yet again. surprised he didn't paste the bit where whoever alleged this nonsense said an indian CS rep confirmed it, you know the ones no one trusts? (4mb->10mb upgrades etc). seems they can never be trusted except when they 'confirm' things that are made up.

Stuart
09-08-2007, 12:10
If you're changing people's contracted speeds and their STM policy, you
should really let them know. You have no trouble sending emails or
putting notices in announce for maintenance, you should certainly be
doing the same for changes in people's STM limits even if it's only
"dynamic in nature"

Ideally you should actually be upgrading your network for the ever
increasing customer bandwidth requirements, rather than secretly
chopping even more speed from people who dare to use their broadband on
your ever more overloaded network.

I presume the XL speed won't get chopped down even more, as they already
get chopped to 25 percent of their normal speed?

He talks about altering the threshold and altering the application times. He does not talk about altering the speed, or adding STM to other BB tarrifs.

jcardiff
09-08-2007, 12:17
while I am far from a fan of virgin you are hardly proving anything here, it is in fact a rumour that you are spreading.

Despite the fact I wouldn't be surprised if virgin were to do this there seems to be nothing proven anywhere in your arguments and the fact remains that ofcom wouldn't even listen to this argument without proof and seeing as you currently have none..........

Hugh
09-08-2007, 12:17
Latest posting on virgin.feedback by Alex Brown at 12:11 - again, neither confirmed or denied.

">> Fergal's responded. Beat me to it !
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Alex
>>
>Fergal's reply did *not* answer the question asked, merely told us that
>unspecified trials were taking place in unspecified areas affecting
>unspecified customers on unspecified packages!
>Can you confirm that 4mb is reduced to 1mb in any of the trials?

It may be one of the trial scenarios being looked at - I would need to
check. As Fergal states, there are numerous trial scenarios we have
trialled and further that we will trial.

If any decision is made to vary any of the settings as a result of the
trials, this will be updated on the website as per normal.

HTH

Alex

Alex Brown
Senior Product Manager
Product Management, Virgin Media"

Chris
09-08-2007, 12:22
Looking again at Paul's initial post, even if VM did confirm that they have experimented with throttling 4Mb back to 1Mb, it wouldn't prove his opening remarks, in which he clearly implies that this is a settled state of affairs designed to rip people off.

A limited experiment hardly qualifies as a rip off.

dev
09-08-2007, 12:27
The post by Alex in foreverwar's post confirms the STM trials but doesn't say which way. There have been a couple of days i've gone over 4GB (on 20mb) and not seen the STM kick in until later, so even if you take Alex's post to be confirmation of STM trials, it doesn't mean it's a bad one ;) (something paul h seems to be adament that has happened)

handyman
09-08-2007, 12:28

I really can't see your problem. 1mb is fast enough for browsing , playing games and downloading. 1mb should allow you up to 140kb download spead so it is far from slow.

7@m3 G33k
09-08-2007, 12:32
Whatever Chris. just let us get on with it, and stop trying to be a barrier between us and them, and when it does turn out that I am right you can stand back and say at least I tried to put a stop to it, but the truth is out, just like the last one to do with secret trials that didn't exist.

But who was the guy on the grassy knoll? And is it true that crop circles appear in parts of the country exactly 24 hours before traffic shaping is introduced? And WTF does STM stand for anyway? :shocked:

Or... :zzz:

handyman
09-08-2007, 12:38
But who was the guy on the grassy knoll? And is it true that crop circles appear in parts of the country exactly 24 hours before traffic shaping is introduced? And WTF does STM stand for anyway? :shocked:

Something Traffic Management.

Subscriber, Scrote?

TraxData
09-08-2007, 12:39
Looking again at Paul's initial post, even if VM did confirm that they have experimented with throttling 4Mb back to 1Mb, it wouldn't prove his opening remarks, in which he clearly implies that this is a settled state of affairs designed to rip people off.

A limited experiment hardly qualifies as a rip off.

Oh if only you knew what management was talking about today :(

Toto
09-08-2007, 13:07
I think most regular posters here took the decision a long time ago to take Paul H's comments with a pinch of sodium chloride. :)

Chris
09-08-2007, 13:14
Oh if only you knew what management was talking about today :(

I can guess. ;) However, as I've said, my main concern here is in the motives of the OP and whether he is in posession of any evidence to back up his claims.

On the former count, see Toto's brief but pithy response above. On the latter ... I think we've established that he doesn't have any.

Gareth
09-08-2007, 13:22
Oh if only you knew what management was talking about today :( They're dropping the price by half...? They're increasing the upload speed...? They're investing substantially in their network...?

Toto
09-08-2007, 13:29
I can guess. ;) However, as I've said, my main concern here is in the motives of the OP and whether he is in posession of any evidence to back up his claims.

On the former count, see Toto's brief but pithy response above. On the latter ... I think we've established that he doesn't have any.

You got a lisp Chris? :):)

jcardiff
09-08-2007, 13:30
They're dropping the price by half...? They're increasing the upload speed...? They're investing substantially in their network...?
there is optimism and there is extreme optimism and that is far past both

Hugh
09-08-2007, 13:32
They're dropping the price by half...? They're increasing the upload speed...? They're investing substantially in their network...?
All of the above..................................

are probably not happening anytime in the near future ;)

vmtech
09-08-2007, 14:33
20mb = if you download 3GB your download speed temporarily set to 5Mb and their upload speed set to 256Kb.

4mb = if you download 750MB your download speed temporarily set to 2Mb and their upload speed set to 192Kb

2mb = if you download ***mb your download speed temporarily set to 1Mb and their upload speed set to 128Kb

thats what will happen to you but thats all if you get brought down to 1 of those speeds you wont get brought down again, all of them last for 4 hours

DaKnee
09-08-2007, 15:08
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/08/50.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Thu, 9 Aug 2007 14:08:56 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 2241 ms = 456.9 KB/sec, approx 3765 Kbps, 3.68 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 2193 ms = 466.9 KB/sec, approx 3847 Kbps, 3.76 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 2201 ms = 465.2 KB/sec, approx 3833 Kbps, 3.74 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 4410 ms = 464.4 KB/sec, approx 3827 Kbps, 3.74 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3818 Kbps, 3.73 Mbps

vmtech
09-08-2007, 15:12
dont use speed tests

DaKnee
09-08-2007, 15:17
Whats the Modem login IP?

vmtech
09-08-2007, 15:20
192.168.100.1 will get you in to the config page

DaKnee
09-08-2007, 15:24
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Interleave Depth : 32
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 30.6 dB

arcamalpha2004
09-08-2007, 22:45

edit:

So, serious question here, if it is that people are being cheated out of money, who do they contact to complain?
Surely its not acceptable for customer " a " to pay top buck for 4mb speed yet only get 2mb because vm want to see how things go.
Lets rewind a bit before we get to the vm trial, vm are able to provide the customer with the speed they are paying for before the customer signs up to the service?
If that is so, ability to give contracted speed, " trials " are not required.
So who do customers complain to in order to be able to cancel the agreement if they wish, because vm are not able to give what they are selling.
When I say able to cancel, I say with no fear of paying out for the remainder of their 12 month contract if they are relatively new to vm.
I liken the trial to buying a ten pound bag of spuds, on leaving the shop you think, " That weight lifting must be working because these spuds do not feel to me like ten pounds in weight "
On getting hold of the manager he spouts out " yes sir you are quite right, it is not ten pounds, it is 5 and a quarter, we wanted to trial the idea, but never mind, have a free potato peeler "

Paul H
09-08-2007, 23:31
I liken the trial to buying a ten pound bag of spuds, on leaving the shop you think, " That weight lifting must be working because these spuds do not feel to me like ten pounds in weight "
On getting hold of the manager he spouts out " yes sir you are quite right, it is not ten pounds, it is 5 and a quarter, we wanted to trial the idea, but never mind, have a free potato peeler "

This is exactly what I am mad about. they have numerous times stated that it is a trial and in saying so makes them able to do what they want cos it is just that, a trial.
While these trials are going on they are saving £1000's of pounds by way of saving bandwidth and no network upgrades, and at the same time taking the full money from every customer and keeping that as profit.
They are in debt, they want to sell. they have not got the money to throw at much needed upgrades.
This is not about keeping the customer base happy as it has only infuriated many. it is about cut backs, and hiding behind trials is how they are going about it.

Virgin do not have any money, skint, no money, debt, trial, buy company, trial, owe bank, don't mention anywhere about not getting what you think you are paying us for ;)

Daffy Duck
09-08-2007, 23:59
This is exactly what I am mad about. they have numerous times stated that it is a trial and in saying so makes them able to do what they want cos it is just that, a trial.
While these trials are going on they are saving £1000's of pounds by way of saving bandwidth and no network upgrades, and at the same time taking the full money from every customer and keeping that as profit.
They are in debt, they want to sell. they have not got the money to throw at much needed upgrades.
This is not about keeping the customer base happy as it has only infuriated many. it is about cut backs, and hiding behind trials is how they are going about it.

Virgin do not have any money, skint, no money, debt, trial, buy company, trial, owe bank, don't mention anywhere about not getting what you think you are paying us for ;)

They have not,at anytime,stated the scenario you posted about is actually being trialled.In fact i just read this on the NG's

>Indeed. However, the specific case that triggered this thread, IIRC,
>was 4Mbps being limited to 2Mbps, then to 1Mbps in one session.
That's incorrect - any STM policy is only applied once and there are
no 'staggered' policies.
Fergal has answered the remainder of your points.
HTH

Alex

--
Alex Brown
Senior Product Manager
Product Management, Virgin Media

That,to me anyway,is a clear denial that the 4 meg is being throttled to 2 and then further throttled to 1 meg.

McDave
10-08-2007, 00:10
I'm on the 2Mb connection. I get that speed all day every day. However if I start downloading somthing rather large (normally over 300Mb) during the hours of 4pm to 2am then my speed gets reduced to 1Mb.

Paul H
10-08-2007, 00:19
They have not,at anytime,stated the scenario you posted about is actually being trialled.In fact i just read this on the NG's

He also said.
It may be one of the trial scenarios being looked at - I would need to check. As Fergal states, there are numerous trial scenarios we have trialled and further that we will trial.
Fergal has not given a simple yes or a no, instead he chose to say a few paragraphs about trials that were in place.

As I said in an earlier post, Alex lied about the original trials that were taking place by saying that nobody's speeds are being limited/altered/trialled in any way. that was in relation to people asking about what turned out to be speeds being limited/altered/trialled which is now the STM put in place.

TraxData
10-08-2007, 00:19

>Indeed. However, the specific case that triggered this thread, IIRC,
>was 4Mbps being limited to 2Mbps, then to 1Mbps in one session.
That's incorrect - any STM policy is only applied once and there are
no 'staggered' policies.
Fergal has answered the remainder of your points.
HTH

Alex

--
Alex Brown
Senior Product Manager
Product Management, Virgin Media

That,to me anyway,is a clear denial that the 4 meg is being throttled to 2 and then further throttled to 1 meg.

I would bare in mind your talking about the same guy who lied through his teeth that STM was even being implemented even when 10mbit was being shaped in certain area's, swore blind there was no STM trials nor was it to be switched on for everybody if there was such a thing.

alex is very 2 faced.

Something to which he denies, saying he admitted STM trials was going on.

i and other people among VM staff know alex quite well and know what a big bull****ter he is and never tell's the truth, just look at his conversation on the newgroup's now about STM, he wont answer a simple question honestly, and straight.

Edit : Paul, you beat me to it! :P

Paul H
10-08-2007, 00:29

It's very true that he wont answer a simple question honestly and straight.
That's why we just ignore anything he says completely :D

dev
10-08-2007, 00:40

It's very true that he wont answer a simple question honestly and straight.
That's why we just ignore anything he says completely :D

and the same reason everyone here ignores the 'facts' you come up with

TraxData
10-08-2007, 00:42

As i said, "if only you heard what the managers were talking about earlier"

what he said is very much a fact, i dont care if you believe him or me.

no one believed that STM was being implemented...but look where we are now :p:

my point is proven.

Paul H
10-08-2007, 00:44

Can you show me the posts with the facts that I was wrong in? before I go to bed would be nice.

Paul
10-08-2007, 01:08
How about post #1. Having just read this whole thread, I haven't seen a single piece of evidence that what you posted is a fact.

Paul H
10-08-2007, 01:16
How about post #1. Having just read this whole thread, I haven't seen a single piece of evidence that what you posted is a fact.

Did you say that to the person who said that blueyonder were doing what is now called STM to their connection?
That started out as just a rumour, a guess of what was happening.
Why does there need to be evidence anyway? why do the mods seem to be standing in the way all the time of anything that is seen to be against the company versus the customer? :confused:

Paul
10-08-2007, 01:25
Why does there need to be evidence anyway?
I'm not going to bother answering such a daft question. :dozey:

why do the mods seem to be standing in the way all the time of anythink that is seen to be against the company versus the customer? :confused:
Clearly you only see what you want to see. Perhaps you should read my posts about the 'the company' v 'the customer' in the 25p/min to call tech support thread before you make yourself look even more foolish.

Paul H
10-08-2007, 01:31
I'm not going to bother answering such a daft question. :dozey:

It's only daft if you find it too hard to answer ;)

Clearly you only see what you want to see. Perhaps you should read my posts about the 'the company' v 'the customer' in the 25p/min to call tech support thread before you make yourself look even more foolish.

I'm too busy putting my pyjamas on.

dev
10-08-2007, 01:35
Why does there need to be evidence anyway?

in that case you owe me £250,000 for that house i sold you, i have no evidence to prove i sold you a house, but why do we need evidence?

Paul H
10-08-2007, 01:38
in that case you owe me £250,000 for that house i sold you, i have no evidence to prove i sold you a house, but why do we need evidence?

That is a legal matter. different thing entirely.
Hurry up and show me your evidence to back up your accusation you made earlier.

dev
10-08-2007, 01:40
That is a legal matter. different thing entirely.
Hurry up and show me your evidence I asked for earlier.

evidence to what?

Paul H
10-08-2007, 01:45
evidence to what?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34372310-post57.html

Saves you having to scroll up for the word dev.

Daffy Duck
10-08-2007, 06:35
He also said.
It may be one of the trial scenarios being looked at - I would need to check. As Fergal states, there are numerous trial scenarios we have trialled and further that we will trial.
Fergal has not given a simple yes or a no, instead he chose to say a few paragraphs about trials that were in place.

As I said in an earlier post, Alex lied about the original trials that were taking place by saying that nobody's speeds are being limited/altered/trialled in any way. that was in relation to people asking about what turned out to be speeds being limited/altered/trialled which is now the STM put in place.

Notice what he actually said then....MAY not IS being trialled,there's a big difference.
I believe that either Fergal or Alex also claimed in another post {which i'll try to find again when i have more time) that some of the trials would have been for a relaxing of the STM parameters.There was also a reply to that from a customer who said that they had wondered about that as they had d/loaded 4 gigs during peak and didn't get STM'D. On (STM@DOn) the basis of that one post by an employee and one customer claiming to have experienced it are you now going to claim that VM actually are relaxing the parameters?....because there's as much evidence for that (one customer and one employee) as there is for your current claim.
At the moment with no proof of either case all that can be really said is....maybe they are,maybe they ain't,maybe they will,maybe they won't.No one outside of VM really know whats going to happen and,i suspect,very few inside know either at the minute.

Sirius
10-08-2007, 06:50

:rofl::rofl:

I think most regular posters here took the decision a long time ago to take Paul H's comments with a pinch of sodium chloride. :)

So is this the famous Paul H that i have heard about. :LOL:

Daffy Duck
10-08-2007, 06:51
I would bare in mind your talking about the same guy who lied through his teeth that STM was even being implemented even when 10mbit was being shaped in certain area's, swore blind there was no STM trials nor was it to be switched on for everybody if there was such a thing.

alex is very 2 faced.

Something to which he denies, saying he admitted STM trials was going on.

i and other people among VM staff know alex quite well and know what a big bull****ter he is and never tell's the truth, just look at his conversation on the newgroup's now about STM, he wont answer a simple question honestly, and straight.

From what i remember(and i could be wrong here)Alex's denials where in reply to questions about traffic shaping and capping.As you know VM, and the rest of the broadband industry, don't consider throttling to be either of those so,technically,he wasn't lying...he was being very disingenuous tho.
On the subject of lying,how many people have complained about being lied to by CS just to get them off the phone...i've seen quite a few posts re that.How many people have been given misinformation by CS...again,quite a few.....how do we know that that isn't what happened here?
With only one customer posting about it (unlike the STM trials where there where many people claiming it was happening and posting evidence )it's a bit premature to say that it IS happening.

JohnHorb
10-08-2007, 07:54
Having read the newsgroups and other related web sites, it is pretty clear to me that additional throttling IS being trialled. Whether VM would be silly enough to actually implement it is another issue.

A 'usually reliable' source:-

http://abcde.co.uk/virginmedia/stm.html

xspeedyx
10-08-2007, 08:44
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34372310-post57.html

Saves you having to scroll up for the word dev.

Paul I take it u have vm but why u seem to hate the company so why have the services

Chrysalis
10-08-2007, 08:49
I really can't see your problem. 1mb is fast enough for browsing , playing games and downloading. 1mb should allow you up to 140kb download spead so it is far from slow.

That is true, but there is a problem if the customer thinks they getting a higher speed.

Hugh
10-08-2007, 09:31
That is true, but there is a problem if the customer thinks they getting a higher speed.
Agreed.

Paul H
10-08-2007, 10:18

Got the evidence! :clap::cleader:

Admin edit (Chris T) - duplicate post removed

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33619190-no-call-refunds-change-of-policy.html

Chris
10-08-2007, 10:21

Please don't post the same information in multiple threads.

Daffy Duck
10-08-2007, 11:04

Admin edit (Chris T) - duplicate post removed

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33619190-no-call-refunds-change-of-policy.html

How is that evidence re the orginal topic of this thread ie: that VM were throttling the 4 megs to 2 meg and then adding an additional throttle to 1 meg?
All this says is that you won't get your call refunded if the problem you have is STM or a trial of different parameters of STM......it doesn't say that they are trialling 4 meg to 2 meg and then to 1 meg tho,so i fail to see the relevance or evidence it provides.
Having just had a quick look at the NG's Alex Brown hasn't retracted his staement that there is no tiered throttling happening...and if thats true your original post is still wrong.

Paul H
10-08-2007, 11:16
How is that evidence re the orginal topic of this thread

Please see posts #21 and #25

Chris
10-08-2007, 11:20

See post 25 yourself - and 22 for that matter. In both of those posts I pointed out that you were shifting from the original topic of this thread (a thread which you started).

Daffy Duck is quite right to ask how this is evidence of your original point. The fact is, it isn't evidence of your original point. It might be evidence of the point you shifted onto when you realised you couldn't make your original rant stand up. ;)

Paul H
10-08-2007, 11:25
See post 25 yourself - and 22 for that matter. In both of those posts I pointed out that you were shifting from the original topic of this thread (a thread which you started).

Daffy Duck is quite right to ask how this is evidence of your original point. The fact is, it isn't evidence of your original point. It might be evidence of the point you shifted onto when you realised you couldn't make your original rant stand up. ;)

I'm still waiting for results of post #59 :D

Chris
10-08-2007, 11:27

You're changing subject again ... ;)

7@m3 G33k
10-08-2007, 11:36
Ok I'm not sure whether to be bored or confused by this thread now :dunce:
Am I right in assuming that STM is throttling due to excessive use at peak times? If that's the case then, to paraphrase something I read elsewhere, this is a deeply content-free thread.

I have the good fortune to be in an area where there is not a high density of VM cable BB customers (I is in de ghetto wid ma bredren init, fa real! :cool:) so my bandwidth-light usage does not have to contend with terabytes of pr0n, warez and illegally downloaded music/film and whatever else the p2p crowd are getting their grubby hands on. If I was in such an area I'd be clamouring for VM to cap/throttle/dissolve in acid these people so that I could get a reasonable service.

Yes of course VM should be investing in their infrastructure to improve overall bandwidth but until that time throttling for excessive use is perfectly fair so we can all get a usable service.

Hugh
10-08-2007, 12:45
Hey everybody!

VM are relaxing Traffic Management Thresholds and shortening the Traffic Management Windows - this is from the same virginmedia.feedback thread originally quoted, from Fergal Butler.
"There also appears to be an inherent assumption that such periodic trials will have a negative effect on those customers being policy managed. This may indeed be the case when some policies are trialed however there are also policies trialed which look at such things as reducing enforcement windows, upping thresholds, changing measurement windows etc."

Or am I just leaping to unwarranted assumptions, like the original poster? :rolleyes:

vmtech
10-08-2007, 13:58
emm no1s said to us about these trials and we get told straight away if there is anything like this going on, we couldnt troubleshoot slow speeds if they didnt inform us about this, and they wouldnt risk that cause 2nd line would be to busy and they dont like doing any work as it is and there would be 2 many techs getting sent out

Chris
10-08-2007, 14:08
emm no1s said to us about these trials and we get told straight away if there is anything like this going on, we couldnt troubleshoot slow speeds if they didnt inform us about this, and they wouldnt risk that cause 2nd line would be to busy and they dont like doing any work as it is and there would be 2 many techs getting sent out

Given the number of horror stories we get on here which result from CSRs who are not informed about what's going on, excuse me if I take what you say with a pinch of salt.

How would you know you hadn't been told, if you hadn't been told? Have you checked around the office and consulted all the usual internal communications channels where you might expect to find this sort of information?

Would they inform you if the experiment was on such a small scale, and so short lived, that the chances of anyone noticing and being bothered enough to call in and complain were reckoned to be very slight?

Not saying that any of the above has or has not happened, but as someone who works in internal comms I can tell you, it's amazing how many staff in any given organisation think they know everything they need to know. ;)

vmtech
10-08-2007, 14:30
its different with us they have to inform us by law because we are premium, we have to know incase we get a customer through who has that problem, if they didnt icstis would pull them up about it and they wouldnt let us be premium any more.

we would get an email from managers or it would be put on our intranet or vms intranet

Sirius
10-08-2007, 14:30

Can you stick to the original thread topic instead of shooting off on a tangent all the time :mad:

LaineY
10-08-2007, 14:33
its different with us they have to inform us by law because we are premium, we have to know incase we get a customer through who has that problem, if they didnt icstis would pull them up about it and they wouldnt let us be premium any more.

we would get an email from managers or it would be put on our intranet or vms intranet

nice guess dude

Chris
10-08-2007, 14:36

The fact that the law says you should be told, does not mean that you have been. The law says you shouldn't exceed the speed limit (for which you can lose your licence if you do it often enough, or badly enough) but I know very few people who even claim never to do it.

In any case, I was wondering more whether you had checked the usual comms channels and are satisfied that you haven't missed anything, more than whether they had actually forgotten to post any messages.

Paul H
10-08-2007, 14:40
Can you stick to the original thread topic instead of shooting off on a tangent all the time :mad:

Can you at least get an idea of how answering a question actually works?

:wtf:

Hugh
10-08-2007, 14:52

;)

Daffy Duck
10-08-2007, 15:02

I suggest you re-read post number 1, altho it shouldn't be necessary as it's yours anyway.......then tell me what relevance your "evidence" has to that, which is,after all,the original topic of this thread.
Seems to me you're shifting the goalposts because you have nothing to back up your original claim.
Might be better to cut your losses and accept that your original post was premature at best and completely wrong if Alex Brown is correct.

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

Post number 1 on this thread seems to fit the bill there considering the total lack of evidence you've provided to support it.

Sirius
10-08-2007, 17:18

I understand completely. You on the other hand need to understand that we don't all subscribe to your hatred of all things virgin, And we have no interest in your constant rants about things that we truthfully don't give a toss about unless we have evidence. Go play in your newsgroups with the other wannabees.

Chris W
10-08-2007, 17:56
7 pages of speculation and nobody has produced any evidence of the claim that was used as the starting point of this thread.

On those grounds, and that the thread appears to be running the risk of just deteriorating into insults, it is now closed.

If anyone can find any evidence to substantiate the claim that 4meg is being throttled to 2meg and then again to 1meg, feel free to PM it to me and I will consider reopening the thread.