PDA

View Full Version : Letter of resignation

Nidge
08-08-2007, 18:53
Ok then folks I'm handing my notice in after securing another job with an increase of £4k a year, I'm looking to draft a resignation letter so I can hand it into my boss in the morning, I'm leaving the job because I'm fed up of all the head office staff sticking their noses into our operations, we have a sales rep who is a right grass, he'll go that extra mile to stitch you up, take this morning for instance, I told all the lads to be in by 7.30, we usually start anytime between 6 and 7 the reason I said 7.30 is because there was nothing going out early, it saved on wages plus it saved the lads being sat around doing nothing, this sales rep was in the yard this morning and as soon as he clocked us coming in he was on the phone to the MD, this put the lid on what was an already simmering pot, I made a few phone calls to people who have told me to ring them if I ever need a job, they came through good I start my new job a week on Monday so I need a good resignation letter to send to the operations manager who is a sound chap, if the company was left to him we'd be ok.

pedantic
08-08-2007, 18:56
You can probably find something here (http://www.i-resign.com/uk/letters/).

MovedGoalPosts
08-08-2007, 18:57
Avoid putting all that in writing, unless you are pointedly asked to. Explain it face to face by all means, but a record of it could tar your copybook if you ever want to get a reference in the future.

Keep your resignation letter simple and to the point, that you give notice as you have been offered a job with offers you greater prospects than your current employment.

danielf
08-08-2007, 19:00
^^

What he said. Though it may be tempting to give them an earful this may come back to bite you in the future. As said, keep it simple and to the point. Do not elaborate.

Nidge
08-08-2007, 19:02
Avoid putting all that in writing, unless you are pointedly asked to. Explain it face to face by all means, but a record of it could tar your copybook if you ever want to get a reference in the future.

Keep your resignation letter simple and to the point, that you give notice as you have been offered a job with offers you greater prospects than your current employment.

No I'm not going to put all that Rob, I was just pointing out the problems we have been experiencing over the last few weeks.

Raistlin
08-08-2007, 19:09
Sir,

In accordance with the terms and conditions of my employment please accept this letter as <insert notice period here> notice, to start as per the date of this letter, of my resignation from the post of <insert post here>.

In accordance with the required notice period I expect my last day of employment with the company to be <insert date here>.

If you wish to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

<your name>

AndrewJ
08-08-2007, 19:51
"I quit"

:)

Nugget
08-08-2007, 20:24
What Raistlin said - short, simple and to the point. It's a cliche, but you should never burn your bridges...

Realistically, there's never really a need to 'name and shame' - if you really want to point out particular problems, then you can request (or may receive as standard) a meeting regarding your resignation. There's no need to shout it from the rooftops, but it may help if you ever want to return to the company :)

slowcoach
08-08-2007, 20:26
I never got the chance to give my notice in, they always sacked me first. :D

Stuart
08-08-2007, 20:31
What Raistlin said - short, simple and to the point. It's a cliche, but you should never burn your bridges...

Realistically, there's never really a need to 'name and shame' - if you really want to point out particular problems, then you can request (or may receive as standard) a meeting regarding your resignation. There's no need to shout it from the rooftops, but it may help if you ever want to return to the company :)

What Nugget said...

Actually, one time I quit a job (shelf stacker at Sainsburys), I didn't bother with a letter. Just went and told the manager to do something anatomically unlikely with the job.

Not that I recommend you (or anyone) do that. I already had another part time job, and have no intention of going back to Sainsburys..

Nugget
08-08-2007, 20:32
I never got the chance to give my notice in, they always sacked me first. :D

Ah, see I always managed to get mine in quick smart :D

And then I resigned ;)

cookie_365
08-08-2007, 20:35
Don't put anything negative in it. You don't need to explain why you're resigning, just that you are.

By all means tell the Ops Manager in person what the reasons are so he can do something about it, but that's up to him if he wants to do something about it.

Nugget
08-08-2007, 20:35
What Nugget said...

Actually, one time I quit a job (shelf stacker at Sainsburys), I didn't bother with a letter. Just went and told the manager to do something anatomically unlikely with the job.

Oddly enough, you agree with me, and I did exactly the same thing when I had the same job at Wilkinsons. Had a huge row with the assistant manager, and told her (her... the shame :erm:...) not only to do something anatomically impossible, but illegal in 15 counties. Took 4 people to drag me away...

Still, I'm older, wiser, and a lot drunker these days :)

Graham M
08-08-2007, 20:41
Still, I'm older, wiser, and a lot drunker these days :)

Seems it worked out well for you :D

Nugget
08-08-2007, 20:56
Seems it worked out well for you :D

Too right :D

Delta Whiskey
08-08-2007, 21:12
Just give them the bald details as shown above, don't forget you may need to get a reference from your current employer at some future time.

DocDutch
08-08-2007, 21:25
Nidge, what ever you do on your last day after working hours and when you have a leaving drink with your colleagues.

PUNCH THE LIGHTS OUT of the lovely snitch!!!!

Nugget
08-08-2007, 21:27
Nidge, what ever you do on your last day after working hours and when you have a leaving drink with your colleagues.

Alternatively, ignore Dutch ;)

You know what we said about not burning bridges and that :D

AndrewJ
08-08-2007, 21:27
Nah buy a crate of fish glue, put him in said crate while passed out drunk, ship said crate to China and refuse chilled transport.

DocDutch
08-08-2007, 21:31
Alternatively, ignore Dutch ;)

You know what we said about not burning bridges and that :D

Nuggs, I said after work.... not during work ;) after work who cares what you do its not company time then any more.

and trust me you would feel soo much better after doing it Nidge ;)

admit to it Nugg you would do the same thing.

also by law a company isnt allowed to give you a bad reference, they can only say that they wont send 1

Nidge
08-08-2007, 21:57

LOL It has crossed my mind, he's been ringing me tonight but I just ignored my phone.

handyman
08-08-2007, 22:12
also by law a company isnt allowed to give you a bad reference, they can only say that they wont send 1

I've often wondered about this. We had an employee that :

Was consistently late (up to 30 mins each day)
Never achieved sales target (or was even close)
Must have lied on his application about his skills.
Spent 20 mins each morning having brown babies (that stunk the place out)
Was generally a complete pain.

I cannot think of a positive thing to say about him so why am I prevented from warning a prospective employer about this to save them the pain?

Hom3r
08-08-2007, 22:31
you can decline to give a reference, that would signal the persons a t*t

Mr_love_monkey
08-08-2007, 22:36
Also, they can only not give a bad written reference - if someone was to call the company up and ask for a reference, they can say whatever they like.

How about : "Screw you guys, I'm going home" for a resignation letter?

Nidge
13-08-2007, 21:30
The deed has been done folks, the boss has been on the phone to me since Friday asking me if it's the right thing I'm doing and is there anything he can do to change my mind?

Matth
13-08-2007, 22:17
An extra 4k and "snake in the grass" moved to an island branch?

Seriously, that is where you might choose to highlight occasions where you feel you are undermined and undervalued, or where initiative is not valued.

If you did get the same money, would you stay - I'm guessing the answer is no.

Nidge
14-08-2007, 05:01
An extra 4k and "snake in the grass" moved to an island branch?

Seriously, that is where you might choose to highlight occasions where you feel you are undermined and undervalued, or where initiative is not valued.

If you did get the same money, would you stay - I'm guessing the answer is no.

The damage has been done I'm affraid, all the lads want me to stay but like I've said to them once they breach that trust, the trust that you place in your employers it's time to go. Don't get me wrong they are a good company to work for barring a few who like to stick their noses in where it's not wanted.