PDA

View Full Version : ntlhome:200 won't support 20meg

steve1961
08-08-2007, 10:32
For anyone else on the Virgin XL package with an ntlhome 200 modem, despite Virgin's website insisting this is compatible with the service there is a problem with it's firmware. I rang technical support a couple of days ago and they told me about the firmware problem, and also that they had been authorised to send a new modem out to anyone who had this model and who wasn't getting the full speed. It arrived today, and the first speed test I did showed a download speed of 18 megs. Before this I'd never got more than 11

Chris
08-08-2007, 10:44
:welcome: to the forum Steve, and thanks for the info.

Did you have to jump through hoops to get them to admit this or was it a case of first time on the phone, they admitted a problem and agreed to send a replacement?

steve1961
08-08-2007, 15:39
This happened the first time I rang them. I'm an IT tech by trade and I told them I'd carried out every test imaginable with Vista, XP and even Linux, and the only possible bottleneck left was the modem - despite the website insisting it was compatible. The guy I spoke to just said 'you're probably right, there's a known firmware issue with that model. We've been told to send anyone who rings with speed problems related to the ntlhome:200 to just send them a free replacement'.

Anyway, it arrived 2 days later. A quick call to get the mac code registered on the network and I was up and running at full speed :)

Toto
08-08-2007, 16:57
I think my 250 modem is working fine, I certainly had problems with my old SB4100.

Retrovertigo
08-08-2007, 17:40
For anyone else on the Virgin XL package with an ntlhome 200 modem, despite Virgin's website insisting this is compatible with the service there is a problem with it's firmware. I rang technical support a couple of days ago and they told me about the firmware problem, and also that they had been authorised to send a new modem out to anyone who had this model and who wasn't getting the full speed. It arrived today, and the first speed test I did showed a download speed of 18 megs. Before this I'd never got more than 11

You know. In a way this is goodnews. But you know what else? It makes me bloody seethe after I begged and pleaded with them countless times on the phone to send me a new modem. And each time I was fed the same crap. That the modem was fine.

Anyway, I'm one step ahead of them. I filled in the website asking what modem you had and if it was up to the job. It doesn't list the 200, so i ticked the box for the 100/120 that look indentical. And guess what, an email was received yesterday saying my new modem was on it's way. I had to try and trick them (and risk being caught of course) in order to get what people here have known for ages - a modem that is up to the job.

Now the only question remains. Will they refund me a months payment for having me stuck at crappy speeds because they were too arrogant to listen and send me a modem when I asked?

JackSon
08-08-2007, 17:51
You know. In a way this is goodnews. But you know what else? It makes me bloody seethe after I begged and pleaded with them countless times on the phone to send me a new modem. And each time I was fed the same crap. That the modem was fine.

Anyway, I'm one step ahead of them. I filled in the website asking what modem you had and if it was up to the job. It doesn't list the 200, so i ticked the box for the 100/120 that look indentical. And guess what, an email was received yesterday saying my new modem was on it's way. I had to try and trick them (and risk being caught of course) in order to get what people here have known for ages - a modem that is up to the job.

Now the only question remains. Will they refund me a months payment for having me stuck at crappy speeds because they were too arrogant to listen and send me a modem when I asked?

I do cross my fingers for you, dude. I too got that e-mail after claiming a false modem - never arrived though. In the end I went round in circles on the phone being bounced between sales and tech support trying to chase up the delivery to no avail. Ended up getting an eng round to fit a new one for free for my trouble though, but it was a real PITA.

mr-blonde
08-08-2007, 17:59
How do i know which modem i have, it has no writing on it it's black and the modle number is E08c007 i got it last week when i upgraded from 4 - 20meg

JackSon
08-08-2007, 18:07
Sounds like an Ambit 255. Does it have 'Virgine Media' branding on it? The sticker on the bottom will have '255' printed on it in large letters if so.

Retrovertigo
08-08-2007, 18:10
I do cross my fingers for you, dude. I too got that e-mail after claiming a false modem - never arrived though. In the end I went round in circles on the phone being bounced between sales and tech support trying to chase up the delivery to no avail. Ended up getting an eng round to fit a new one for free for my trouble though, but it was a real PITA.

Fingers crossed here as well :) maybe with news filtering through the system now, it might make the difference?

I think the worst part hearing what you say, is that I got my email on Monday, and they say up to 14 days. So, do i wait 14 days and then call them? I suppose I have to now. But please, anyone else who speaks to tech support an gets the same information about the 200's not being up to the job - please post in this thread? Thank you

JackSon
08-08-2007, 18:20
I waited the 14 days till I started to chase it up. Nobody in either department were able to use the reference number the e-mail gave so no joy was had. If, you don't want to spend ages on the phone until you get a sympathetic agent/manager to rectify the situation (by either sending another modem out or arranging a tech to fit one, for free hopefully like I managed to obtain) it may be worth resubmitting the form, selecting an engineer fit and fork out the £25. Is an expense, but you a bit more likely to actually receive the modem. If, by some miracle the moedem arries after that, you could send it back. However, that is based on my exerience alone, by the way. Was around 6 weeks ago, so the proceedure *may* have become more reliable.

MK1
08-08-2007, 19:23
So if i phone them up and they agree to replace my Ambit 200 which modem should they be replacing it with?

Chris
08-08-2007, 19:36
A 255 I believe.

MK1
08-08-2007, 20:33
Ambit 255HQ (Virgin Media Branded)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/08/35.jpg

What's the best way of getting one.Should i phone them up and try to get them to send one or should i do it the website way by selecting one of the modems like the Ambit 100/120 that won't support 20meg? I don't mind paying £25 for an engineer to come out either.

what?
08-08-2007, 21:48
i would phone up, and explain the situation to them

they should then offer to send you out a tech with the modem free of charge

you shouldn't have to pay because of faults with the website

steve1961
09-08-2007, 11:48
Just phone the technical support line and tell them you're having speed problems. You don't need an engineer to call out, the modem arrives in a box with a little spanner to undo the coaxial cable from the old modem. You just reattach it to the new one and then ring tech support again with the mac code (on the back of the modem) so they can register it on the network (took 7minutes). They also refunded the cost of both my calls, and the modem only took two days to arrive.

xpod
09-08-2007, 12:28
So how long did it take you guys to initially here back?? Still no sign of any e-mail here yet and that was sometime last week i filled the on-site form out....

Mabey time for that call sooner than expected possibly?:rolleyes:

JackSon
09-08-2007, 17:25
So how long did it take you guys to initially here back?? Still no sign of any e-mail here yet and that was sometime last week i filled the on-site form out....

Mabey time for that call sooner than expected possibly?:rolleyes:

Perhaps so. I don't remember how long it was before the e-mail was sent (not that it did any good) but I think it was sent before a week had elapsed.

utt
09-08-2007, 17:35
i would phone up, and explain the situation to them

they should then offer to send you out a tech with the modem free of charge

you shouldn't have to pay because of faults with the website

Wot fault with the website?

rockshow
09-08-2007, 18:50
hi all, long time lurker but thought i'd register to post this. hopefully might help some of you...

i phoned up last night (wed 8th) spoke to some guy in india.

explained that since speed upgrade in poole area (bh postcode) my speed has dropped from 700k consistently to 50-70k

said that i have tested it on pc, sisters laptop (both without anti-virus), ps3 and all 3 speeds were unacceptably slow.

didn't even have to tell him my modem model (ambit 200). but he said he'd send me new one to arrive tomoro (friday) but asked me to make sure someone was in so i guess its coming recorded delivery. his exact words were there is a problem with your modem and it can't handle 20mb speeds.

was actually very pleased with service.. after all the horror stories i'd heard on here was expecting a hard time getting one.

hope you all get your probs sorted, hopefully this'll sort mine!!

xpod
09-08-2007, 19:01
Perhaps so. I don't remember how long it was before the e-mail was sent (not that it did any good) but I think it was sent before a week had elapsed.

Oh well,i was about due to call at the end of August anyway.I only went the site route after of the sudden change of stance with the 120.

Just means they`ll need to extend my reduced cost period until such time as i am getting something a bit more than i am just now.

It`s all good:)

(both without anti-virus)

Was that just so they could`nt blame the AV:)
You really should have some kind of av though .........if your running Windows of course!

JackSon
09-08-2007, 19:03
Best of luck,

Slainte!

what?
09-08-2007, 19:04
Wot fault with the website?

is the ambit 200 and ntlhome:200 different modem?

if so then the fault on the site that this thread is all about
if not, i assumed the were, im not 100% upto date on my ntl modems

xpod
09-08-2007, 19:08
im not 100% upto date on my ntl modems

The modems themselves are not very up to date it seems so i would`nt worry about it;)

homealone
09-08-2007, 19:09
is the ambit 200 and ntlhome:200 different modem?

if so then the fault on the site that this thread is all about
if not, i assumed the were, im not 100% upto date on my ntl modems

they are branded 'ntl:home', but manufactured by Ambit & are one & the same :)

what?
09-08-2007, 19:13
The modems themselves are not very up to date it seems so i would`nt worry about it;)

lol, it seems i am more upto date on them than they are upto date themselves then :p: wooo:D

Nedkelly
09-08-2007, 19:15
From what iam reading into this the amits 100 120 and 200 are not able to do 20mb i knew the 100 and 120 were not but not the 200 oh well lots of swap outs for those on 20 meg :)

xpod
09-08-2007, 19:32
lol, it seems i am more upto date on them than they are upto date themselves then wooo

I`ll keep my 12Mb thanks

:p:

Retrovertigo
10-08-2007, 11:27
I urge everyone with an NTL:200 modem to call Vm and demand a replacement. The one I had to "con" from them arrived this morning and I'm doing a test download from the newsgroups at 2.35MB/s. Bear in mind before this new modem I couldn't get above 700k ish, which was less than when the new firmwares or whatever they changed - were rolled out.

I think this is conclusive proof that the modems have been screwed up in some way. Not least because they don't achieve even the old speeds, nevermind the new one.

I'm disgusted that I have been fobbed off for over a month about this. Their engineers must have been able to test the modems and see from the start that they couldn't get full speed.

I'm happy, but at the same time annoyed at the treatment that has been dished out to a great many people.

Sorry, I should add for anyone wanting to know. That I received my confirmation email on Monday 6th Aug, after ticking the boxes on the website for a replacement, and the modem arrived today - 10th Aug. It came by regular 1st class post.

Another addendum! As well as download speeds being full whack, I can also browse the net quickly as well. Before when downloading at 700k ish, browsing became a nightmare. It was bad without downloading anything, when grabbing something off newsgroups it became a nightmare.

belfastmagpie
11-08-2007, 12:49
I rang last month about my bills which were being sent to my previous address (even though I reported my change of address and all of my hardware was moved and activated at my new address).

In the course of the conversation I was asked what type of modem I was using. The lady in Customer Services told me that the ntl:200 couldn't support 20meg and arranged a new modem (255) and a free callout from an engineer.

Took an hour or two to get the new MAC registered due to the original problem with the address mix-up but everything's running fine now. :)

MK1
11-08-2007, 13:40
Now they are admitting the Ambit 200 does't support 20meg i'm going to give them a ring.Are they open on a Saturday or will i have to wait till Monday.

JackSon
11-08-2007, 16:21
I think they are manned 7 days a week. Only one way to find out of course ;)

scoobydoo[uk]
11-08-2007, 18:39
My 200 is working fine on 20mb, getting 2.34mbps off newsgroups.

J@ffa
14-10-2007, 13:05
What number do I call to either get, or try to get, my modem replaced? I haven't gotten over 800-900k since way back when.

Mick Fisher
14-10-2007, 21:13
I think you gotta convince the 25ppm guys in India.

Good luck with that. :(

I got this number noted, not sure if it's up to date though??

0906 212 1111