PDA

View Full Version : Insuring someone elses car?

dragon
07-08-2007, 13:35
Is it possible to get car insurance on someone else's car? (with the owners permission of course)

I'd assume you'd have to tell the insurance company that its not your car :confused:

Direct lines FAQ says...

Is it possible to get car insurance on a car that is not owned by my partner or me?
A:
If it is a company car, or one that is on long-term lease for example, we can look at insuring it in your name. To discuss your circumstances further please contact our Customer Hotline on 0845 246 8701.

So i'm guessing it is but it might be a bit of a hassle to get it done unless other insurers are different.

I know someone who's going to be borrowing someone else's car long term but wasn't sure what they'd need to do about insurance.

Saaf_laandon_mo
07-08-2007, 13:38
I think you can name someone else as an insured driver, and inform the insurers that the car will now be parked elsewhere (i.e notify them of where the car will be parked overnight) as this will effect your premium.

If I was lending my car out to someone long term tahts what I'd do. I'd pay for the insurance myself, keeping it in my name - just incase the person I'm lending it to doesnt insure the car himself. I'd also make sure the car is MOT'd and taxed for the lending period as thats ultimately the responsibility of the car owner, not the driver.

punky
07-08-2007, 13:57
If you do, be sure that the owner doesn't have any insurance on it themselves. Its illegal to have a car insured twice.

andygrif
07-08-2007, 14:16
Is it really? Do you know why that is?

I would have thought that it would be fraudulent to claim on two policies, but I would have thought that it could not be wrong to have more cover than you legally need...guess not!

punky
07-08-2007, 14:26

I would have thought that it would be fraudulent to claim on two policies, but I would have thought that it could not be wrong to have more cover than you legally need...guess not!

Something I heard. It makes sense though. Why would you want two policies unless you were going to claim on them both?

Plus the PNC holds vehicle data and insurance and i'm guessing its only equipped for 1 insurance policy per vehicle.

SMHarman
07-08-2007, 15:28
If you do, be sure that the owner doesn't have any insurance on it themselves. Its illegal to have a car insured twice.
It's not - what andygrif said is correct.

I would have thought that it would be fraudulent to claim on two policies, but I would have thought that it could not be wrong to have more cover than you legally need...guess not!Bit like if you claim on your travel insurance and your home insurance for that rolex you lost in the ocean on holiday. You can claim once for a loss.

Now I think the owner of a car legally has to have TP coverage on it even if it is SORN and can be fined if they don't.
Realistically the owner would insure you and indicate you are the primary driver.
Alternativly they could make you the registered keeper (which is the DVLA term) and the two of you could put in place a side letter saying that you are the keeper, not the owner and as the keeper are responsible for insuring the car - that would probably work.

Chris
07-08-2007, 15:46
Is it possible to get car insurance on someone else's car? (with the owners permission of course)

I'd assume you'd have to tell the insurance company that its not your car :confused:

Direct lines FAQ says...

So i'm guessing it is but it might be a bit of a hassle to get it done unless other insurers are different.

I know someone who's going to be borrowing someone else's car long term but wasn't sure what they'd need to do about insurance.

Yes you can (although some insurers won't).

My car's registered keeper is Mrs T, however I am insured as its main driver with Direct Line.

Halcyon
07-08-2007, 16:06
I was looking into insuring the car I buy to my parents who are older and will get cheaper insurance, and then becoming a named driver and paying less overall.
Anyone else done this and know if you can do it ?

Chris
07-08-2007, 16:13
I was looking into insuring the car I buy to my parents who are older and will get cheaper insurance, and then becoming a named driver and paying less overall.

You can tell them your parents are the main drivers and then go ahead and do more miles in it yourself if you want - just be careful they don't catch you out as it could result in their refusing to pay out a claim.

Also most insurers won't allow you to build up a no-claims bonus while you're not the main driver. In the long run it may be cheaper to just admit you're the main driver. Buy a banger with a very low insurance group to minimise your premium and don't Barry it up in any way that might upset them.

gazzae
07-08-2007, 16:21

The problem is if the insurance company finds out that you are the main driver and not your parents then they won't pay out on a claim.

The question is would they find out?

Halcyon
07-08-2007, 16:29
Thanks Chris T and gazzae.
It would be for a cheap car as I can't afford anything else at the moment so I would only really need 3rd party insurance since I wouldnt mind if my car got damaged.

Chris
07-08-2007, 16:31
The problem is if the insurance company finds out that you are the main driver and not your parents then they won't pay out on a claim.

The question is would they find out?

If you don't have a claim, highly unlikely. If you do, they will ask you for the details of what you were doing with the car at the time of the accident. If they think it sounds like a more than occasional sort of use then they will ask more questions. I'd have thought this is a common dodge among young drivers so the insurer will be wise to it and extra-vigilant.

Combined with the lack of no-claims bonus accrual, I'd say it's not worth it.

Mr_love_monkey
07-08-2007, 16:48
It's not - what andygrif said is correct.
Bit like if you claim on your travel insurance and your home insurance for that rolex you lost in the ocean on holiday. You can claim once for a loss.

Hardly seems fair if you ask me, you're paying twice, so why can't you claim twice - you can have more than one life insurance policy, and claim on them.

dragon
07-08-2007, 17:10
You can tell them your parents are the main drivers and then go ahead and do more miles in it yourself if you want - just be careful they don't catch you out as it could result in their refusing to pay out a claim.

Also most insurers won't allow you to build up a no-claims bonus while you're not the main driver. In the long run it may be cheaper to just admit you're the main driver. Buy a banger with a very low insurance group to minimise your premium and don't Barry it up in any way that might upset them.

Directline do no claims for named drivers however i think it only applys if you then insure your car with THEM once you get your own policy...

Although if your the named driver you should really be doing less mileage than the primary driver.

Chris
07-08-2007, 17:17
Directline do no claims for named drivers however i think it only applys if you then insure your car with THEM once you get your own policy...

Although if your the named driver you should really be doing less mileage than the primary driver.

Yes, Direct Line won't issue proof of no-claims if you have been a second driver on a policy with them. They will only take it into account if you go to them looking for insurance with them in your own name.

Furthermore, after you take insurance with them, come the renewal, while they will continue to quote you based on your total no claims as a second driver as well as on your own policy, their statement of no-claims will only record your one year as a driver in your own right - ensuring that you are pretty much guaranteed not to get a competitive quote from anywhere else for at least a couple of years.

Direct Line gives me, IIRC, about 60% no claims based on my prior clean record on Mrs T's car, but their proof of no claims issued to me last month only states one year (normally 30% IIRC), because I have only been a driver in my own right, building up my own no claims bonus, for one year (I had a company vehicle prior to this and wasn't eligible for an introductory quote due to an unfortunate collision with an old duffer with no concept of mirror-signal-manoeuvre :grind: ).

SMHarman
07-08-2007, 19:39
Hardly seems fair if you ask me, you're paying twice, so why can't you claim twice - you can have more than one life insurance policy, and claim on them.The difference between insurance and assurance. You will die it is a matter of when (assurance), you may have an accident (insurance).

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Thanks Chris T and gazzae.
It would be for a cheap car as I can't afford anything else at the moment so I would only really need 3rd party insurance since I wouldnt mind if my car got damaged.3rd party is the most valuable part of any policy though. You drive your car onto a pavement and pin a pedestrian between the front of the car and a lamppost breaking their back and making them parapleagic in the process that is a lot of money your insurance company will be paying out in home modification and nursing costs for the rest of their life. Your insurance company finds out that you were not properly insured and denies the claim then it is you that is responsible for that bill.

dragon
07-08-2007, 20:48
The difference between insurance and assurance. You will die it is a matter of when (assurance), you may have an accident (insurance).

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

3rd party is the most valuable part of any policy though. You drive your car onto a pavement and pin a pedestrian between the front of the car and a lamppost breaking their back and making them parapleagic in the process that is a lot of money your insurance company will be paying out in home modification and nursing costs for the rest of their life. Your insurance company finds out that you were not properly insured and denies the claim then it is you that is responsible for that bill.

also your car might be a right banger and only worth £500 but you might end up hitting a car worth £50k and of course your insurance would have to pay out for That car...

Angua
07-08-2007, 20:57
Always worth getting your own no claims discount with your own insurance and as for insuring a car you are not the keeper of you should be able to get something, after all most comprehensive insurances cover you on a third party basis to drive other insured cars not your own.

dragon
07-08-2007, 21:35
Always worth getting your own no claims discount with your own insurance and as for insuring a car you are not the keeper of you should be able to get something, after all most comprehensive insurances cover you on a third party basis to drive other insured cars not your own.

unless your a young driver unfortunately

etccarmageddon
07-08-2007, 23:22
postoffice and marksandspencer allow me to insure my company car in my name despite me not owning it and not the keeper - a lot of others dont.

ian@huth
07-08-2007, 23:31
Anyone else done this and know if you can do it ?When I put my daughter on my policy as a named driver they wanted to charge me the same as they would charge my daughter if she had taken out the insurance herself.

Halcyon
08-08-2007, 11:18
Thanks for the info.
Looks like I better do a lot of phoning around and compare prices then as it's probably going to cost quite a lot.

Chris
08-08-2007, 11:20
Thanks for the info.
Looks like I better do a lot of phoning around and compare prices then as it's probably going to cost quite a lot.

Start with a price comparison site like confused.com, but bear in mind that some big companies like AA and Direct Line won't show up there so you'll need to go to them separately.

Go online as far as possible as many insurers will give you a discount compared to an over-the-phone quote.

Tech_Boy
08-08-2007, 11:33
Friends of mine have put their parents on their insurance as named drivers & that has lowered their premiums, one friend put his wife (who was 3 years older & a learner driver) on his policy as a named driver & his premium dropped by about £80;)