PDA

View Full Version : USB to Ethernet switch NTL Techs please!

paulclapp00
06-08-2007, 22:35
As the title suggests I am trying to connect my cable 351000 modem through Ethernet opposed to the USB connection I am using at the moment. I am operating an XP system. Have tried the guide on http://www.virginmedia.com/helpsupport/ethernet/changing.php and still no luck. Tried using the installation CD and get told to remove the USB cable modem through device manager, Will let me disable but not uninstall as it suggests they are required on start up, of course they aren't. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

bw41101
06-08-2007, 23:17
There are basically two ways to connect a modem to your PC, both are not interchangeable with each other, namely:

USB, whereupon the modem (itself) is connected (via a USB port) to the system. The disk contains the files necessary for Windows to install the modem (as a new device) directly on to your PC. This type of installation is relatively easy as it's simply a matter of plugging the modem's USB connector into the PC and allowing the Windows install wizard to set up same.

Ethernet, works in a different way whereupon the modem is connected to your system via a Network Interface Card (NIC) installed into a spare slot in your PC, or a wireless router. In these cases it's the NIC or the router that gets installed on your system - not the modem.

On an Ethernet system, Windows assumes that you're connected to a network and receiving data via same - it doesn't see the modem. Personally (assuming your modem is in relative close proximity to your PC) I would install a NIC card into your machine and wire it up to your modem, it's a cheap option easy to set up and effective. NIC cards can (usually) be purchased (at computer outlets) for a few quid when compared to a router which are in the teens of pounds.

Hope this helps?

Good luck and Si thee

maverick
06-08-2007, 23:28
As the title suggests I am trying to connect my cable 351000 modem through Ethernet opposed to the USB connection I am using at the moment. I am operating an XP system. Have tried the guide on http://www.virginmedia.com/helpsupport/ethernet/changing.php and still no luck. Tried using the installation CD and get told to remove the USB cable modem through device manager, Will let me disable but not uninstall as it suggests they are required on start up, of course they aren't. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

There is a scrub program on the installer cd that will remove any usb drivers.

The file is located on the cd in the following directory.

If you explore the cd go into a drivers folder then ambit folder,in there is an uninstall double click this file and follow the on screen instructions to remove the cable modem usb drivers.

bayonet
07-08-2007, 06:55
You don't really need to run the uninstall process just turn your modem off remove the USB cable and plug in the ENET cable and restart the modem make sure the lights are steady

Then check your IP address via the CMD option Start>Run> type CMD you get the DOS box type here type ipconfig or ipconfig/all and you should get an IP address starting either 80/81/82 or 86.x.x.x once you get this try browsing if you don't get anything check in Control Panel Systems>Hardware>Device Manager>Network Adapters click the + sign and check if your NIC is enabled if not right click and enable so the red cross on it disappears again try browsing after you enable the NIC

paulclapp00
07-08-2007, 11:45
There is a scrub program on the installer cd that will remove any usb drivers.

The file is located on the cd in the following directory.

If you explore the cd go into a drivers folder then ambit folder,in there is an uninstall double click this file and follow the on screen instructions to remove the cable modem usb drivers.

Thanks for your reply, found the file and removed the drivers, rebooted the modem, still no luck. Tried to run the insallation CD still got the same USB cable modem 351000 that needed to be uninstalled through device manager however it would not let me uninstall.

I will quote word for word what the error states when the installation CD is ran.

"A faulty or non funcational adapter has been found. Please remove the following malfunctioning adapters before continuing with installation. If this is a NIC USB that has been removed, please physically plug it back in.

USB cable modem 351000
USB cable modem 351000
(ZD1211)EEE 812 11b+g USB adapter
USB cable modem 351000
USB cable modem 351000

I then click fix to remove the devices through system/device manager and it states that i cannot remove them as they may be required on start up.

Any other ideas? Thanks

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

You don't really need to run the uninstall process just turn your modem off remove the USB cable and plug in the ENET cable and restart the modem make sure the lights are steady

Then check your IP address via the CMD option Start>Run> type CMD you get the DOS box type here type ipconfig or ipconfig/all and you should get an IP address starting either 80/81/82 or 86.x.x.x once you get this try browsing if you don't get anything check in Control Panel Systems>Hardware>Device Manager>Network Adapters click the + sign and check if your NIC is enabled if not right click and enable so the red cross on it disappears again try browsing after you enable the NIC

Ok tried restarting the modem. All the lights that should be lit are. Still no internet tho! Went to IP config and no IP adress at all was stated. Just "windows IP configeration" I then checked my network devices all are enables however i am unsure what mine will be named as it was one that came with the PC. Would I be better off buyin a new card for a PCI slot? Thanks for your reply.

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

There are basically two ways to connect a modem to your PC, both are not interchangeable with each other, namely:

USB, whereupon the modem (itself) is connected (via a USB port) to the system. The disk contains the files necessary for Windows to install the modem (as a new device) directly on to your PC. This type of installation is relatively easy as it's simply a matter of plugging the modem's USB connector into the PC and allowing the Windows install wizard to set up same.

Ethernet, works in a different way whereupon the modem is connected to your system via a Network Interface Card (NIC) installed into a spare slot in your PC, or a wireless router. In these cases it's the NIC or the router that gets installed on your system - not the modem.

On an Ethernet system, Windows assumes that you're connected to a network and receiving data via same - it doesn't see the modem. Personally (assuming your modem is in relative close proximity to your PC) I would install a NIC card into your machine and wire it up to your modem, it's a cheap option easy to set up and effective. NIC cards can (usually) be purchased (at computer outlets) for a few quid when compared to a router which are in the teens of pounds.

Hope this helps?

Good luck and Si thee

Ok thanks for your reply, im currently connecting through the thernet port that came with the PC, would I be better off to buy a new card and put into a spare PCI slot? Thanks

Chris
07-08-2007, 11:52
Ok thanks for your reply, im currently connecting through the thernet port that came with the PC, would I be better off to buy a new card and put into a spare PCI slot? Thanks

No, he has assumed you don't already have an ethernet port on your machine. If you already have one, you do not need to go and buy another one (unless the one installed is broken - have you established this?)

paulclapp00
07-08-2007, 11:55
No, he has assumed you don't already have an ethernet port on your machine. If you already have one, you do not need to go and buy another one (unless the one installed is broken - have you established this?)

I used to use it and it worked fine, however would appreciate a way to check it was in working order currently? Thanks

Chris
07-08-2007, 12:07
I'm not a Windows expert but I believe it should be listed in your device manager.

paulclapp00
07-08-2007, 12:23
I'm not a Windows expert but I believe it should be listed in your device manager.

Would it be "direct parallell"? All the others seem to be linked with the USB. Thanks

Chris
07-08-2007, 12:27
Pass ... I'm a Mac user. On my machine it's listed as 'ethernet controller'. I'd have assumed it would be something like that, maybe 'network controller', on your system. But I think you need to wait for one of our many Windows networking experts to happen upon this thread for a definitive answer. :)

MovedGoalPosts
07-08-2007, 13:27
Go to your network connections via control panel. In there there should be a list of items, one hopefully will be called something like Local Area Connection - that should be your ethernet adaptor. Is it enabled? This step was highlighted in post #4 above by bayonet. If there is no such connection device your ethernet card / adaptor may not be installed propertly. Assuiming yoru PC has an ethernet port look in Device Settings > System - are there any exclaimation marks or red crosses that indicates a driver is missing or broken?

paulclapp00
07-08-2007, 14:19
Go to your network connections via control panel. In there there should be a list of items, one hopefully will be called something like Local Area Connection - that should be your ethernet adaptor. Is it enabled? This step was highlighted in post #4 above by bayonet. If there is no such connection device your ethernet card / adaptor may not be installed propertly. Assuiming yoru PC has an ethernet port look in Device Settings > System - are there any exclaimation marks or red crosses that indicates a driver is missing or broken?

The only local are connection that is in network connections is the Local Area Connection for the USB Cable model 351000. Once the USB cable has been removed no connections remain. Looked in device manager, all network adapters that are listed are working correctly however am unsure as to what my adapter would be listed as? The only one that I can see that doesnt seem to be linked to the USB is "direct parallell" there is also a list of miniports. Thanks

mrmistoffelees
07-08-2007, 14:36
I will quote word for word what the error states when the installation CD is ran.

"A faulty or non funcational adapter has been found. Please remove the following malfunctioning adapters before continuing with installation. If this is a NIC USB that has been removed, please physically plug it back in.

USB cable modem 351000
USB cable modem 351000
USB cable modem 351000
USB cable modem 351000

I then click fix to remove the devices through system/device manager and it states that i cannot remove them as they may be required on start up.

Any other ideas? Thanks

Not sure if this has been mentioned however boot the PC into safe mode and then uninstall the above devices.

Then run a driver clean up

bw41101
07-08-2007, 16:25

Ah..! I see that your network port is built in! Well (in this case) connect your modem (using a cat 5 network cable) to the network port on you system - do not connect using the USB at the same time.

Now on (in built) network systems you'll have to check in your system's BIOS and see that the internal networking option is enabled. If it is, then go via the Windows XP control panel/Hardware/Device manager and check that the networking is activated.

If all's well above, then your system should see that a network (your cable modem) is connected to your PC. To check if there's a connection, go to: Start/Settings/Network Connections, you should see something like "Local Area Connections" click on that and a status box should appear, which will tell you whether you are connected and the speed of the connection (either 10 or 100 mbps depending upon the speed of the incoming connection). If packets are visible both on the Sent and Received then (it's a reasonable assumption) that everything's working and you should then be connected. :tu: All that is then required (if necessary) is to set up your ISP account within your browser and E Mail clients, I.e. Username, password etc.

Note! always check that your modem is switched on before you boot up your PC, otherewise (what can happen) is that your network won't see any data coming into the system and therefore not activate. If this does happen, simply re-boot your machine. ;)

See how you get on. ;)

Good luck and Si thee

vmtech
07-08-2007, 16:35
the usb driver will come under usb cable modem
go to start run and type devmgmt.msc(device manager)
go to network adapters usb should be listed in there
also you should see your nic in there you should have a wee green thing at the front there shouldnt be anything on that
and try start>run and type netsh winsock reset and you should get a black flash after that restart the pc

paulclapp00
07-08-2007, 18:10
Ok first of all thanks for everyones help. When I disconnect the USB cable form the modem the Local area connection dissapears, with ethernet plugged in, noting appears. I am also having trouble locating it on the device manager. This leads me to think that maybe my ethernet connection is not working and perhaps i should purchase a new NIC?

Jon T
07-08-2007, 18:16
go into the BIOS and check the onboard network card is turned on.

It will probably be under somthing like "integrated peripherals" depending on the BIOS.

vmtech
07-08-2007, 18:20
what do you have under network adapters??

Zanny
07-08-2007, 20:50
go into the BIOS and check the onboard network card is turned on.

It will probably be under somthing like "integrated peripherals" depending on the BIOS.

I was just going to say that :P

also does the ethernet light rather than the usb light on your cable modem come on? do you have a tiny LED on the ethernet socket of the pc blinking on a off? if the answer is is no to either of these then you have a connection problem which could be the modem or the pc or the ethernet cable. i have a ntl 120 with a dodgy ethernet conection the merrest tap and it disconnects. However having an issues getting it replaced because the missus refuses to deal with technolgy and wants me to make sure im in and not at work when a VM tech comes out to look at modem. Would be 100% easier if they just sent me one for replacing myself but unsure if theyd just take my word for it without sending an enginner first.......

sorry for going off on a tangent there lol, but check those lights :)

paulclapp00
08-08-2007, 11:25
OK think I have found the problem. Went to device manager and now a Ethernet controller has an exlamation next to it. This was not there before! When I go to properties apparently the drivers are not installed. I try to install the Drivers and am unable to install the drivers. Where is the best place to get these drivers from? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:25 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

Ok i got bored and found the driver myself. Just searched in google for DELL ethernet driver and got a free download. Thanks for everybodys help I now have a connection through Ethernet which I am using now!! And can now set up wireless. This really is a great site full of helpful people. Thanks :D

vmtech
08-08-2007, 14:42
ano a didnt help but no probs, if you have any more probs jst give us a shout