PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Install Issue

colinw999
06-08-2007, 13:24
I've just had broadband installed and am having problems - I cannot connect to any websites.

I have an IP Address and can ping websites, but as soon as I try and visit any in a browser, I get Page not Found.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

awibble
06-08-2007, 14:28
I've had that a couple of times.

Reboot everything, and see if that fixes it first.

If it does, try connecting to websites by ip address (google is normally a good site to test, or the bbc).

Acathla
06-08-2007, 14:34
Make sure you have disabled all proxies in your browser.

If you can ping websites then everything seems to be working ok, DNS et al.

colinw999
06-08-2007, 14:37
I tried rebooting everything straight away and it still has the same issues. It's resolving names OK i.e. pinging www.google.com resolves the name correctly and gets a reply back.

I'm not at the PC right now to try the IP in the browser, but I'll try that later on.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

All proxies are disabled in the browser.

I suspect its maybe that the account hasn't been provisioned properly so I get access to the network but can't do anything on it.

Quam256
06-08-2007, 15:21
Was you on a dial up connection before broadband and if yes did you remove it prior .?Check Tools >Internet options >Connections.Do you have never dial a connection or you have any dial up connections in the box.

colinw999
06-08-2007, 15:25
I was on Broadband before and have just moved house. Haven't had dial up for a good few years now thankfully.

nedsram
09-08-2007, 11:25
I was on Broadband before and have just moved house. Haven't had dial up for a good few years now thankfully.
My bet is that your broadband settings have got screwed up somewhere. I've had nothing but trouble since they "accidentally" stopped the TV service on the same STB as the broadband, including having to change TCP/IP and router settings that worked without problem for the previous 5 1/2 years, and the password on my broadband account being reset for no apparent reason.

These people really know how to break things. It's putting the pieces back together that they seem to have problems with.

eUKhost.com
09-08-2007, 11:40
There are two separate parts to this connection. Repairing the connection and getting a new IP while maintaining good signal strenth just shows that the link between the computer and wireless router is working.

The second part of the connection is the link between the router and the ISP (internet provider). Has something happened with the cable/broadband/DSL modem connection (cat ate the cable?)? Can you use a real network cable to "patch" into the modem to test the connection? Have you tried rerunning the ISP's connection procedure or contacting the ISP directly?

If you could define the structure of the connection from where it comes into the dwelling and the "bits and pieces" of hardware that it passes through... it'd make it a lot easier to assist.

maverick
09-08-2007, 12:28

Try the following

go to 80.5.178.26/cgi/housemove

enter user id and password and complete the house move,your modem will then register and activate at the new address.

colinw999
09-08-2007, 13:42
We had an engineer out the other day (to fix the telephone that the installers didn't install correctly) and he tried to do this housemove but failed. I'll try it again tonight and see if it makes any difference. Beyond that, I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and phone tech support.

Thanks for the replies.

maverick
09-08-2007, 14:57
In this situation a call to tech support would get you up and running have the mac address of the modem ready,to be homest explain that you have tried the house move process as did the engineer and the charge of the call will be refunded.

colinw999
09-08-2007, 15:06
Just spoken to someone in the house and it has magically started working. Not sure whether the housemove takes a while to kick in or whether something else has changed. Anyway, all up and running now so thanks all for the help.

Cheers
Colin