PDA

View Full Version : moving back..

Gerorge
06-08-2007, 12:24
Hello,

I have been with ntl for a long time it was the only isp i had after dial up, but after ntl was only offering 1.5Mbit and then ukonline offerd 8Mbit i did the mistake of jumping to them, now even on the 22mbit line the line drops every 5 minutes and the line wil not go any faster then 8/9Mbit without dropping like a yo-yo.. now virgin have taken over and are offering 20mbit on a fibre network, will the tech guy install somethign else? i still have the white box they installed the first time and the modem they never took back from ntl the black one could i just hook them up and tell them re activate me and start paying? how does it work..

plus what are the ntl spees like? they have aways been good and stable to me in the past never many problems i imagine i will see alot more of the 20mbit then i do with ukonline, i live in cambridge and places where not many people use it i think u will get faster speeds wont u?

Paul K
06-08-2007, 12:39
You have to re-order as the modem needs to be against your account on the system, VM will send you a new modem through the post that will accept the speeds. The one you have may not be able to handle higher speeds on the network. Speed will depend on many things at the moment. Do you know anyone near you on VM 20Mb?

Gerorge
06-08-2007, 12:43
cant say i do, i dont think many people down my street have cable modem, is there some web site i can see what speed they think i will recieve?

Stuart
06-08-2007, 12:51
cant say i do, i dont think many people down my street have cable modem, is there some web site i can see what speed they think i will recieve?

AFAIK, no. There is no such site.

Sites such as Samknows.com work because speed on DSL is distance limited, and BT do publish details as to the speed their lines SHOULD be able to reach.

However, speed on cable is not distance related, but the bandwidth on each cable is shared. The practical upshot of this is that if you have few users in your area, then you'll probably get full speed reliably whether you are 100 meters from the UBR or 5 miles from the UBR (UBRs link the cable to Virgin's broadband network). However, if you have a lot of heavy users in your area, then your speed will not be so reliable, and may be lower.

Virgin are the only people who have access to the figures that state how many users are in each area, and they don't publish it to any outside companies or sites.

Gerorge
06-08-2007, 13:15
thnx... i guess only one way to find out, its gotta be better then my line dropping so much, unless i use the old modem from ukonlien which does not allow more then 8mbit then it stays on, as soon as i put the netgear for the 22mbit it drops.. 8meg is good but im sure ill see alot faster speeds with v/m... is the uplod any good? is it faster then 768kbit like with the adsl isps... id like to see one offer faster like bethere they offering th e 1.3Mbit upload no other isp is doing that

AbyssUnderground
06-08-2007, 13:26
Upload on 20Mbps is 768Kbps. Remember if you're not happy with the service you have 28 days to cancel with no penalty.

Gerorge
06-08-2007, 14:31
28 days? thats ok, im sure ill be happier with vm then ukonline, im told by someone vm will e doing test trials 50Mbit or have been this summer