PDA

View Full Version : Connection dropping when downloading from Newsgroups

Sitruz
05-08-2007, 18:21
Hi all

I have an issue on my Virgin connection wondered if anyone can shed any light?

I know I must be one of the top downloaders for my area and so believe I am victim of Virgin's traffic shaping. When I'm downloading from Newsgroups at scheduled 42% of my maximum I can download with no problems at all, yet if I go anything above 42% I get continuous connection cut outs. It reconnects and carries on downloading about 10-20 seconds later. This happens in a loop until I bring the scheduled speed limit back on.

I'm sure that this is shaping, but I was under the impression I am supposed to be punished with a speed drop to 50% (continuous service), not full speed with constant cut outs.

I am using one of the really old CMX US Robotics cable modems (old school NTL user).

Can anyone confirm if the above cut outs are normal and are supposed to happen if your being throttled?

Many thanks

Sitz

homealone
05-08-2007, 19:22
Hi :welcome:

that doesn't sound like throttling, as you say that should be a straight 50% speed reduction , what you describe sounds more like the modem can't take the speed, I wonder if any other members have the same model & can shed any light?

Sitruz
05-08-2007, 20:54
Thanks homealone.

Thing is though, my speed level hasn't changed I was on NTL's top 10Mb package since it was released (slightly before I think) and was always maxing out the full speed with no connection drops at all.

Then a short while after Virgin took over it started happening.

Besides, I mentioned I have it scheduled at 42% all the time, if I up it to even 43% it starts cutting out, so if I got max 10Mb when NTL were on the scene but then only ever 42% continuous now that seemed to me it was more of a service thing? :confused:

It's confusing that's for sure.

If I call Virgin will they be able confirm over the phone if I'm being permanently throttled I wonder.

Sitz

Raistlin
05-08-2007, 21:06
Are you uploading anything at the same time?

Nedkelly
05-08-2007, 21:22
What modem are you using as there a known problems with some of them :)