PDA

View Full Version : Football : Season 2007/2008

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

pedantic
05-08-2007, 17:48
Well, the season starts next week, so let the banter begin. :D

I've high hopes for Man U this season, unlike last season..........but what do I know about football. :erm: :angel:

cimt
05-08-2007, 17:51
I can see Middlesbrough having a better season. We've made some good signings and lost a few good players. Role on Blackburn!

TheDaddy
05-08-2007, 18:00
I am full of optimism really, some real class players brought in, all the big shots and dross gone, we have hardly even gone in the red either, if we can get a couple more in and they gel quickly who knows what is possible

Derek
05-08-2007, 18:11
Well, the season starts next week, so let the banter begin. :D

Depends where you are.
Some of us have got our first football fix of the new season already.

In fact I'm sure TheBlueRaja is already looking for an excuse to abandon the season and leave the SPL table (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/table/default.stm) as it is.

pedantic
05-08-2007, 18:54
Depends where you are.
Some of us have got our first football fix of the new season already.

Oops! I forgot about you lot up there. :p:

Russ
05-08-2007, 19:02
Oops! I forgot about you lot up there. :p:

You're English, it's perfectly understandable :D

I reckon Liverpool will be the biggest threat to United this season. Chelsea will be there or thereabouts of course, can't see Arsenal producing anything more than a repeat of last year's flatulent effort.

nffc
05-08-2007, 20:03
Liverpool looked rubbish earlier. Not sure Voronin will be good enough.

TheDaddy
05-08-2007, 20:47
Liverpool looked rubbish earlier. Not sure Voronin will be good enough.

I don't think they'll challange, I don't think they have bought well at all

nffc
05-08-2007, 20:50
With the possible exception of Torres... Still not sure they get stuck in enough. Plus Benitez seems to have an aversion to fielding his best side.

what?
06-08-2007, 00:04
yeah, i think its gona be man u for the title

def. cant see arsenal producing anything specail
liverpool will probabyl do as they normally do, get built up, then season kicks off and they lose a few games early on and are out the title race by october
chelsea, should be closest challengers tho im not a big fan of them so hopefully not :)

TheDaddy
07-08-2007, 17:59
Seriously, would you by a used car from this man :td:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_2645625,00.html

Word is he can't afford to pay the 2 million :rolleyes: apparently his assets have been frozen

yesman
07-08-2007, 18:52

Word is he can't afford to pay the 2 million :rolleyes: apparently his assets have been frozen

Amazing !!!!!

yesman
07-08-2007, 21:12

Following on from that........
Just read this on the BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/football/6935741.stm) website

Manchester United are hopeful Carlos Tevez's signing will be completed when the new seasons starts this weekend.

Tevez's agent Kia Joorabchian has paid West Ham a £2m settlement agreement, meaning the 23-year-old has been formally released from his contract.
United have put forward their proposed two-year loan deal for the Argentina striker to the Premier League.
The league's lawyers are now looking through the details of the signing before rubber-stamping the deal. Tevez's fellow Argentina international Javier Mascherano was given the go-ahead for a similar signing for Liverpool last season, meaning there should be time for United to receive clearance before they kick off the new season this weekend.

TheDaddy
07-08-2007, 21:28
and Niall Quinn accuses us of paying over the odds ......... muppet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/6932931.stm

gazzae
08-08-2007, 08:11
United are playing the Glens tonight. I'll be there. :D

Ronaldo set to lead Man Utd cast

Cristiano Ronaldo is likely to play for Manchester United in Wednesday night's glamour friendly against Glentoran at the Oval (1945 BST).
He is expected to be joined by new signings, Portuguese star Nani and Brazilian Andersen, plus Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra.

England's Michael Carrick and Republic of Ireland international John O'Shea are also set to make the trip.

The game is part of the Glens' 125th anniversary celebrations.

Northern Ireland defender Jonny Evans is also likely to play but United boss Alex Ferguson will miss the match because of family commitments.

Michael Dougherty is expected to continue between the posts for Glentoran as Elliott Morris is still sidelined through injury.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6935718.stm

Mal
08-08-2007, 22:19
They should have asked Delia to cook for them... Norwich (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/6936644.stm)...
About 30 people at Norwich City FC were taken ill following a barbecue for players and staff, it has emerged.

The club confirmed four professional footballers were among those who suffered sickness and diarrhoea.

Mal
09-08-2007, 13:43
Some good news (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/6937521.stm) then ;)
Leeds have lost their appeal against a 15-point deduction for the start of the new season following a breach of the Football League's insolvency policy.

mrmistoffelees
09-08-2007, 13:52
and Niall Quinn accuses us of paying over the odds ......... muppet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/6932931.stm

That would be the keeper rated as third best in europe ???

Gordon_30
09-08-2007, 14:22
Originally Posted by BBC News
About 30 people at Norwich City FC were taken ill following a barbecue for players and staff, it has emerged.

The club confirmed four professional footballers were among those who suffered sickness and diarrhoea.

4 players at Norwich connected with Sh*t and they haven't even played yet

I Expect that number to rise on saturday

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

That would be the keeper rated as third best in europe ???

Bloody hell How Much Has Europe Shrunk

mrmistoffelees
09-08-2007, 14:26
Originally Posted by BBC News

4 players at Norwich connected with Sh*t and they haven't even played yet

I Expect that number to rise on saturday

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

Bloody hell How Much Has Europe Shrunk

Buffon, Petre Cech, Casillas and maybe Cuddicini (scuse the spelling)

Ok, so fifth best then ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEWHEKs4d4s

In my own opinion a fantastic keeper and over the moon we signed him.

sherer
09-08-2007, 15:37
looking forward to the start of the season. Only a few days to go, unless you in Scotland then it's already in full swing :D

Let's just hope this year that we keep the talking points to what goes on on the pitch rather than off it.

Thought Nani looked very good last night, nice to see a winger actually run at people and get past a few of them too.

I know Chelsea have a few injuries but i'm sure they will still be up there all season long. Arsenal seem to have a weaker squad but it depends how well some of the other teams do. They weren't great last season but as the top four were well clear of the others it wasn't so big an issue

DocDutch
09-08-2007, 15:50
dont know at the moment about Arsenal as there are quite a few young players if you take away Lehmann and Gallas, the rest are under 30 so just have to wait and see cuz even then last season as Sherer said they didnt perform.

TheDaddy
09-08-2007, 17:54
Buffon, Petre Cech, Casillas and maybe Cuddicini (scuse the spelling)

Ok, so fifth best then ;)

In my own opinion a fantastic keeper and over the moon we signed him.

Kahn, Canizares, Valdes etc etc still at least next season you'll have the best keeper in the Championship

mrmistoffelees
09-08-2007, 20:34
Kahn, Canizares, Valdes etc etc still at least next season you'll have the best keeper in the Championship

Considering next season starts on Saturday, We'll be in the premiership surely ;) ?

TheDaddy
09-08-2007, 20:55
Considering next season starts on Saturday, We'll be in the premiership surely ;) ?

Actually the season started on Sunday ;)

yesman
09-08-2007, 20:57
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6939170.stm

"Nobody in Europe likes England. England invented the sport but has never made any impact on world football."

Make your own mind up :rolleyes:

Russ
09-08-2007, 21:03
Nobody in Europe likes England.

Hell I've been trying to tell you that for years :D :Sprint:

mrmistoffelees
09-08-2007, 21:06
Actually the season started on Sunday ;)

Fair comment ;)

TheDaddy
09-08-2007, 21:07

Make your own mind up :rolleyes:

How do these muppets progress so high in the game :rolleyes: never made an impact, what have Spain ever won, not to mention France and Italy both having held it in the 90's and Spain in the 80's, come 2018 it will be over 50 years since we held it, despite hosting a superb European Championship finals, having by far the best stadiams and doing far more that most nations to kick hooliganism and racism out of the game, I think I'll side with the Kaiser :erm: on this one

yesman
09-08-2007, 21:17
How do these muppets progress so high in the game :rolleyes: never made an impact, what have Spain ever won, not to mention France and Italy both having held it in the 90's and Spain in the 80's, come 2018 it will be over 50 years since we held it, despite hosting a superb European Championship finals, having by far the best stadiams and doing far more that most nations to kick hooliganism and racism out of the game, I think I'll side with the Kaiser :erm: on this one
I think it is sour grapes from Warner,

"I really don't believe that we should just lay down and play dead to anyone who wants to take the World Cup from Concacaf," he said.

however, it won't do England's chances any good with him around

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Hell I've been trying to tell you that for years :D :Sprint:

Yeah, cheers Russ :D

sherer
09-08-2007, 22:49
well with FIFA and UEFA talking about kicking rascism out of the game then surely they should censor themselves from making them.

France had the finals in 98 so I don't think they should get them and Spain hosted them in 82 and as you stated are perennial underachievers so to use the fact that we can't have it as we haven't done much but to say Spain can have it doesn't really add up.

Let's not forget that the IFAB that approves the rules to football is still made up of the FA, Welsh FA and Scottish FA, i'm not sure if any of the other home nation's FAs are in there i'll have to double check.

yesman
10-08-2007, 16:02
Caborn hits back at Warner attack

England's 2018 World Cup ambassador Richard Caborn has hit back at Fifa vice-president Jack Warner's claim that he will attempt to block their bid

Go get him Richard :tu:

yesman
10-08-2007, 18:43
At last Tevez has signed.
I did read this in a news report though.....
Although Alex Ferguson claimed he was quite relaxed about the length of time taken by the Premier League to sign off the contract, there appeared no logical reason why it should take so long given Tevez’s contract was a virtual replica of the one Liverpool drafted to sign Javier Mascherano in January

Which is why I kept on asking the question in the close season thread.

Full report here (http://breakingnews.iol.ie/sport/story.asp?j=187342900&p=y8734348x&t=soccer)

TheDaddy
11-08-2007, 09:48
Which is why I kept on asking the question in the close season thread.

Don't you remeber the amount of time it took him to sign, the transfer window actually shut and it was about a week later he signed, considering Kia only got the cash together this week, I'd say they acted pretty quickly

Russ
12-08-2007, 17:05
Possible metatatatatatatarsal injury to Wayne Rooney during the Reading match....

DocDutch
12-08-2007, 20:40
s*hit happens Russ.... he's only a big thug anyways.

so thats him going to be out for at least 3 months :D :p:

yesman
12-08-2007, 22:46
he's only a big thug anyways.

A big thug that you wouldn't mind in your team :p:

There will be a few "spoiling" teams this season, teams who try and stop Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal etc playing football, and they are, Reading, Bolton, Blackburn, Middlesbrough and maybe Fulham and Wigan.

It's a shame really from the football supporters point of view, but I can't say that I would blame those teams tactics.
Coppell more or less said so himself.......

"I want people to think we're more than just a defensive side.

"But your season-long dreams can be shattered very quickly here. I'd have loved to have gone 4-4-2 and seen what happened but we'd have got hammered."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6931068.stm

Anyway.......it's only the first game of the season, so we should see the usual bunch at the top after a couple of months, with maybe a surprise in store imo, and that's Newcastle and Man City :erm:

DocDutch
13-08-2007, 07:25

nahhh mate prefer to have Ronaldo in my team :) that would be a really nice mix then with van Persie and co.

cimt
13-08-2007, 07:49

There will be a few "spoiling" teams this season, teams who try and stop Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal etc playing football, and they are, Reading, Bolton, Blackburn, Middlesbrough and maybe Fulham and Wigan.

It's a shame really from the football supporters point of view, but I can't say that I would blame those teams tactics.
Coppell more or less said so himself.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6931068.stm

Anyway.......it's only the first game of the season, so we should see the usual bunch at the top after a couple of months, with maybe a surprise in store imo, and that's Newcastle and Man City :erm:
:D We always do well with the top teams anyways.

Anyway, Saturday was pretty bad. Blackburn had 2 shots on target and scored both of them. We were meant to of played amazing though. It's now more attacking for us, but our defence let us down by being injured. Once our defence is sorted out, I can see us doing amazing. :erm::)

sherer
13-08-2007, 09:47
well it was the first game of the season and we didn't lose so i'm please. On some forums I go on people are acting like the title is lost already :shocked:

We played some good football and created a few chances, I even thought Giggs did ok playing up front as a striker. Shame Rooney is injured, which makes it even worse we sold Rossi and Smith as now both could have played in the week.

Mourinho is now 99 games at home unbeaten ( including his Porto days )

Well done to Reading for stopping us scoring. That's no mean feat these days with us so they must have played well. Will be interesting to see if they do as well as that against Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal as sometimes I feel teams raise their game against us and then don't play as well as that against the other top teams

Damien
13-08-2007, 09:54
Well done to Reading for stopping us scoring. That's no mean feat these days with us so they must have played well. Will be interesting to see if they do as well as that against Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal as sometimes I feel teams raise their game against us and then don't play as well as that against the other top teams

Arsenal get that as well. Load of small teams give us difficult matches.

DocDutch
13-08-2007, 10:25
its the smaller teams that are more dangerous really then the big teams, at least with those you know what kind of game they are going to play but with say the clubs Reading, Bolton and you name them.

we just have to wait and see what will happen around X-mas time, then we can see roughly who's going to win the league and whos going to be relegated.

mrmistoffelees
13-08-2007, 10:38
Not a cracking game, but a cracking win for Sunderland against Spurs. Went home a very happy man (albeit slighlty drunk) incredible to think in one game we have amassed 20% of the total points we managed in our last season in the prem :D :erm:

DocDutch
16-08-2007, 07:01
hahahha ManUre still hasnt won a game and now Ronaldo is gone for 3 matches cuz he had to throw his dummy out of the pram.

has any1 noticed that Russ has been really quiet in here now????

gazzae
16-08-2007, 07:11
hahahha ManUre still hasnt won a game and now Ronaldo is gone for 3 matches cuz he had to throw his dummy out of the pram.

has any1 noticed that Russ has been really quiet in here now????

So instead of talking about your teams two victories you come on to talk about United?

Good to see where your priorities lie. ;)

DocDutch
16-08-2007, 07:37
yeah well winding up Russ is more fun Gaz, and yes at least Arsenal has beat 2 teams sofar :)

TheDaddy
16-08-2007, 08:46
Premature perhaps, although a couple more defeats and the pressure might start to build

Spurs boss Martin Jol's future may be in jeopardy after he had crisis talks with chairman Daniel Levy about the losing start. (Independent)

gazzae
16-08-2007, 09:03
yeah well winding up Russ is more fun Gaz, and yes at least Arsenal has beat 2 teams sofar :)

Well done, good luck with making that 4th spot your own. ;)

Russ
16-08-2007, 09:04

Wind me up?? You'll need to try a lot harder young sir :D

United are unbeaten this season so far, can't have any complaints about that :)

cimt
16-08-2007, 09:30
Wind me up?? You'll need to try a lot harder young sir :D

United are unbeaten this season so far, can't have any complaints about that :)

I'd have a comeback to that but unfortunately I support Boro and you could have a much better comeback because we played proper crap yesterday.

1 - 0 to Wigan. :mad: What the **** is happening with us?!?!?! We need our defence back ASAP!

Russ
16-08-2007, 09:33
No-one wins the title within the first week of the new season! In fact I don't pay too much attention to league positions until at least november time as there's always some unfashionable cheeky little upstart of a team hovering near the top with delusions of staying there til May (looks like Everton again this season).

sherer
16-08-2007, 10:51
only saw the highlights on MOTD so didn't see much of the game, plus I was a little drunk too, but Tevez looked pretty good last night and a great goal from Scholes too.

Can't blame VDS for the goal either.

On some forums people are talking about the title being over already, and that was after the reading game. It's a long time till May.

Is Ronaldo banned for 3 games ? Thought it was just one for a first read card of season but wouldn't be the first time i was wrong about something :D

TheDaddy
16-08-2007, 11:13
On some forums people are talking about the title being over already, and that was after the reading game. It's a long time till May.

Is Ronaldo banned for 3 games ? Thought it was just one for a first read card of season but wouldn't be the first time i was wrong about something :D

Straight red, three match ban I believe, that's the thing about the title race these days, you have to hit the ground running, you can't afford to leave it till Christmas anymore, that said to say the title race is over is crazy, a few more draws though and who knows

Russ
16-08-2007, 11:13
Ronnie headbutted the other guy - that's violent conduct which has a standard 3 match ban.

TheDaddy
16-08-2007, 11:18
Yawn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/6949262.stm

Reports that writs are also set to be served on David Unsworth - the former Blades defender who scored on the final day of the season - and Wigan - who had the audacity to beat the Blades in the same game - are yet to be confirmed ... :D

gazzae
16-08-2007, 14:10
Need a win on Sunday for definite. League is never over this early, but another bad result would make it very difficult.

Still remember what happened last time Utd drew their first two games of the season.

Shadow Demon UK
16-08-2007, 14:37
Last season we lost to Portsmouth away and we had a draw against Reading, so you could say United are a point up on last season ;) :D

TheDaddy
16-08-2007, 22:17
Yawn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/6949262.stm

Funnily enough the BBC didn't bother to print the clubs response to this latest steaming pile of excrement so I'll do it for them

http://www.whufc.com/news/?page_id=9383

In the meantime, West Ham United and its new owners will not permit these repeated slurs to go unchallenged and are in discussions with their legal advisers in relation to the action they might take.

I hope that applies to everyone, this whole saga has been a Godsend for lazy journalists, the nonsense they peddle has been lapped up to long and it's about time they got their comeuppance, especially the Daily Mail

Mal
16-08-2007, 22:35
yeah well winding up Russ is more fun Gaz, and yes at least Arsenal has beat 2 teams sofar :)A big welcome to Arsenal fans to the Football thread!

We hope that you do not disappear soon and your input in this thread does not remain dependant on Arsenal's performances, as has happened in the last few years... ;)

You are more than welcome to post throughout the whole season, so come on and join us! ;) :D

yesman
16-08-2007, 22:42
Good start for the U's....

Lee Boylan struck in the fourth minute of injury time to give Cambridge the win over Oxford at the Abbey Stadium.
Get in there :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_conf/6941987.stm

TheDaddy
16-08-2007, 22:47
Good start for the U's....

Boylan was one of ours, he was in the same youth team as Freddy Eastwood and both were/ are incredibly prolific in non league football

DocDutch
16-08-2007, 22:50
A big welcome to Arsenal fans to the Football thread!

We hope that you do not disappear soon and your input in this thread does not remain dependant on Arsenal's performances, as has happened in the last few years... ;)

You are more than welcome to post throughout the whole season, so come on and join us! ;) :D

dont worry Mal I wont leave that easily and 1st to admit it that at present I dont think Arsenal is going to get silverware again.

mrmistoffelees
17-08-2007, 12:32
Great result for us against Birmingham the other night, bring on wigan on saturday. The only downside being that Edwards is out for a month :(

Interesting to see on SSN that betting on the first EPL manager to be sacked has been suspended . apparently a massive amount being placed on Martin Jol ?????

TheDaddy
17-08-2007, 12:35
Interesting to see on SSN that betting on the first EPL manager to be sacked has been suspended . apparently a massive amount being placed on Martin Jol ?????

No wonder

Tottenham boss Martin Jol has been given the dreaded vote of confidence - two games into the season. (Star)

mrmistoffelees
17-08-2007, 12:44
No wonder

Tottenham boss Martin Jol has been given the dreaded vote of confidence - two games into the season. (Star)

To be fair though that is the star........:D

Jol would be in my list but i would have Sammy Lee at Bolton, and also Gareth Southgate at Middlesbrough ahead of him.

After the money spurs have spent in this window it would be madness to boot him now ??

TheDaddy
17-08-2007, 12:57

After the money spurs have spent in this window it would be madness to boot him now ??

Not just the Star, if it were he might get away with it, if they lose their next two or three games, he could well be out of the door

Spurs boss Martin Jol's future may be in jeopardy after he had crisis talks with chairman Daniel Levy about the losing start. (Independent)

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6950282.stm

mrmistoffelees
17-08-2007, 12:59
Not just the Star, if it were he might get away with it, if they lose their next two or three games, he could well be out of the door

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6950282.stm

interesting

The SKY era rearing its ugly head yet again :(

TheDaddy
17-08-2007, 13:01
interesting

The SKY era rearing its ugly head yet again :(

Yep clubs just can't afford to chance it these days :(

sherer
17-08-2007, 13:02

Was in The Metro and The London Paper too :)

mrmistoffelees
17-08-2007, 13:05
It's a double edged sword with sky and football, the amount of money going in is obscene. and yet there is a generation of armchair fans who demand instant success :( spoils the game completely. To sack any manager just two games into a season is lunacy

As a side issue, I really hope that the latest reports about Sunderlands new potential signing are not true

DocDutch
17-08-2007, 13:06
well if Spurs sack Jol already after what Jol has done to the team getting them in the 2 years that he has been manager always in the UEFA cup isnt too bad considering as well that if correct spurs were close to relegation 3 years ago,.

mrmistoffelees
17-08-2007, 13:07
there's only one team i want to see have their manager sacked, and thats the mag's and then let them do a leeds and end up in the northern brick layers league before finally going bust

:D

cimt
17-08-2007, 13:11
there's only one team i want to see have their manager sacked, and thats the mag's and then let them do a leeds and end up in the northern brick layers league before finally going bust

Mind reader......... hate Newcastle. I actually hope they do really bad, and I hope Viduka scores a few home goals. :D:D I can't see Jol getting fired, same with Southgate. I don't think Gibbo has it in him, he's never fired a manager has he? :erm:

mrmistoffelees
17-08-2007, 13:15
Mind reader......... hate Newcastle. I actually hope they do really bad, and I hope Viduka scores a few home goals. :D:D I can't see Jol getting fired, same with Southgate. I don't think Gibbo has it in him, he's never fired a manager has he? :erm:

I can see it happening with Southgate he looked shot to bits after the defeat to wigan ?

Whats your view on Mido signing ?

Also, interesting to see Yakubu left out of the trip tonight (To Everton is it ?)

cimt
17-08-2007, 13:19
I can see it happening with Southgate he looked shot to bits after the defeat to wigan ?

Whats your view on Mido signing ?

Also, interesting to see Yakubu left out of the trip tonight (To Everton is it ?)

Yeah! Mido looks like a good signing, not sure on the price tag though. People on BBC 606 seem to think Yak is going to Everton, that's why he's not playing. I think we're going to have a bad season if he does go.

sherer
17-08-2007, 13:20
i think Jol's a very good manager. The thing with football is you never quite know what is going to happen.

The best team in the world went to the world cup final against a team of amatures who weren't even due to be at the world cup in the first place and lost.

The £500m off squad of Man U could only draw with Reading. We can even lose to teams like Pompey away last season.

These things happen in football and that is part of the appeal sometimes you lose and have to accept it.

Jol will have a plan for the season with players and transfers and style of play and to get someone else in they could change the style of play and make things even worse.

Seems Curbs is in danger of losing his job too along with a host of others.

Look as us with Fergie, we nearly got rid of him in 90 and look what a mistake that would have been

mrmistoffelees
17-08-2007, 13:21
Yeah! Mido looks like a good signing, not sure on the price tag though. People on BBC 606 seem to think Yak is going to Everton, that's why he's not playing. I think we're going to have a bad season if he does go.

SSN are quoting £11m for Yakubu

I think Mido will be an interesting signing for you, We were in for him as well but for whatever reason he's chosen to sign for you.

Which leads Keano trying to sign Kenwyne Jones :td:

Just seen Carlos Edwards out for a month as well :(:(:(:(

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

i think Jol's a very good manager. The thing with football is you never quite know what is going to happen.

The best team in the world went to the world cup final against a team of amatures who weren't even due to be at the world cup in the first place and lost.

The £500m off squad of Man U could only draw with Reading. We can even lose to teams like Pompey away last season.

These things happen in football and that is part of the appeal sometimes you lose and have to accept it.

Jol will have a plan for the season with players and transfers and style of play and to get someone else in they could change the style of play and make things even worse.

Seems Curbs is in danger of losing his job too along with a host of others.

Look as us with Fergie, we nearly got rid of him in 90 and look what a mistake that would have been

never mind that, can we have Evans back for another season please :D

cimt
17-08-2007, 13:26
SSN are quoting £11m for Yakubu

I think Mido will be an interesting signing for you, We were in for him as well but for whatever reason he's chosen to sign for you.

Which leads Keano trying to sign Kenwyne Jones :td:

Just seen Carlos Edwards out for a month as well :(:(:(:(

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

I'm guessing you support Sunderland? If so, let's hope both teams can get whole 12 points off Newcastle. The majority of their fans have their heads shoved up they asses. What you think of Keano trying to sign Crouch? Or was that just a rumour? :erm:

sherer
17-08-2007, 13:28

sorrt he's one for the future.. will be dissapointed if him and Pique don't end up coming through in the next couple of years

mrmistoffelees
17-08-2007, 13:30
I'm guessing you support Sunderland? If so, let's hope both teams can get whole 12 points off Newcastle. The majority of their fans have their heads shoved up they asses. What you think of Keano trying to sign Crouch? Or was that just a rumour? :erm:

i am indeed a Sunderland fan (for my sins :D) Crouch would be a fantastic signing for Sunderland but it was all rumours, there was no way he would sign for us.

Paul McShane seems to have been an excellent signing by Keano (apart from his own goal against Brum)

eyebrows were very much raised by the signing of Chopra too but so far he looks far better value for money than Nugent :D:D:D

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

sorrt he's one for the future.. will be dissapointed if him and Pique don't end up coming through in the next couple of years

Phenomanlly good player Evans, marshalled our back four incredibly well last season. Seemed to enjoy his time with us too.

cimt
17-08-2007, 13:35
Ohh, reading 606 now and Boro fans are saying get rid of the Yak! :o He's not dedicated anymore or anything, so I kind of see why we should let him go.

mrmistoffelees
17-08-2007, 13:37
Ohh, reading 606 now and Boro fans are saying get rid of the Yak! :o He's not dedicated anymore or anything, so I kind of see why we should let him go.

Has he actually (or his agent for that matter) come out and asked for a move ?

cimt
17-08-2007, 13:40
Has he actually (or his agent for that matter) come out and asked for a move ?

I don't think so, but if he has then he's doing it all privately.

mrmistoffelees
17-08-2007, 13:42
He has stayed very quiet in all of this

You have that Turkish striker too dont you ? how's he doing ?

cimt
17-08-2007, 13:43
Tuncay? He's meant to be doing brill. I haven't had the chance to watch him play for Boro yet, I been a bit busy.

yesman
17-08-2007, 21:59
Boylan was one of ours, he was in the same youth team as Freddy Eastwood and both were/ are incredibly prolific in non league football
Yep, it was mentioned on Setanta that he played alongside the likes of Frank Lampard and Rio Ferdinand back in the good ol' days, plus a few others no doubt.
He certainly knows where the goal is that's for sure, which is like a breath of fresh air at Cambridge United, however, if he has one fault, although I am not complaining at the moment, is his inability to pass at crucial moments when team mates are in a better position than him, but I won't hold it against him at the moment.

Cambridge United boss Jimmy Quinn seems to have assembled a fairly good squad for this season, so Hopefully will end up in the play offs come May.

One for the statisticians, Cambridge United picked up nine red cards and 86 yellow cards (http://www.bluesqfootball.com/story/0,20970,13040_2663313,00.html) last season, that has to be a record surely? :shocked:

TheDaddy
19-08-2007, 15:24
Good result for Man City

Mal
19-08-2007, 15:28
Damn!

Shadow Demon UK
19-08-2007, 15:33
Good result for Man City

Lucky result for Man ****y

DocDutch
19-08-2007, 16:08
woohooo thats ManUre without a win yet this season :)

and Arsenal is at the moment still 1 up on the Rovers so all looking good

ow well a draw against Rovers :( was hoping for a win but hey you cant have everything

nffc
19-08-2007, 17:00
yay! City have a great defence - Richards and Dunne played really well.

Russ
19-08-2007, 17:02
Without a win but we've only lost 1 out of 3 :)

Far too early in the season for us to start worrying. We won't do an Arsenal this year, that's for sure :)

alferret
19-08-2007, 22:19
A very good result for City today, and as a life long supporter its great to take a derby win. :D:D:D:D Made all the more sweeter that it takes us back on top of the table, be it only 3 games old its where we desrve to be after Psyco's lack lustre effort at managing.

gazzae
19-08-2007, 22:25
Richards was immense, he is a real talent.

TheDaddy
20-08-2007, 08:45
Without a win but we've only lost 1 out of 3 :)

Far too early in the season for us to start worrying.

Perhaps not

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007380477,00.html

Russ
20-08-2007, 09:21
ah yes, the sun - we can all learn something from that!

mrmistoffelees
20-08-2007, 09:54
One of the worst performances every on Saturday by us, worse than anything in our 15 or 19 point seasons

Please god let us get a decent left back and a decent striker in

TheDaddy
20-08-2007, 10:18
ah yes, the sun - we can all learn something from that!

Football wise we all can, I am sure you'd like to just dismiss the story though as you don't like the subject however here it is again, this time from the BBC, perhaps you'll learn something from them instead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6954344.stm

gazzae
20-08-2007, 10:57
The next game for Utd won't be an easy one either. Both teams will be desperate for a win. If Utd don't win then we are out of the title race already, you only have to look at Liverpool in recent years to see how badly a slow start can hurt a teams chances.

Russ
20-08-2007, 14:05
Football wise we all can, I am sure you'd like to just dismiss the story though as you don't like the subject however here it is again, this time from the BBC, perhaps you'll learn something from them instead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6954344.stm

Yes, this is the paper with 'arnachy in the uk' on it's cover. No-one wins the title in august so why should I be worried? What, you think we'll win the title one year then end up losers the next? We're not arsenal you know.

TheDaddy
20-08-2007, 14:20
Yes, this is the paper with 'arnachy in the uk' on it's cover. No-one wins the title in august so why should I be worried? What, you think we'll win the title one year then end up losers the next? We're not arsenal you know.

and what does it have on the back cover, excellent award winning football coverage, the most in depth match reports, interviews and transfer gossip sometimes months ahead of their rivals, just because the news desk doesn't have a reporter worth the name amongst them doesn't mean the sports dept is the same and btw it isn't them that's saying it, it's your own manager and he sounds pretty worried, your right though no one wins the title in August, these days though it can be lost there, you can't just rely on a late run anymore, look at Chelsea last year

iadom
20-08-2007, 18:32
and what does it have on the back cover, excellent award winning football coverage, the most in depth match reports, interviews and transfer gossip sometimes months ahead of their rivals,

Not a patch on the Telegraph sports output. Quite apart from the better standards of journalism , todays Telegraph's dedicated sports supplement has 32 pages, 11 pages of premiership match reports and analysis including a full page match by match comprehensive stats breakdown. A further seven pages of football news including a match report from every single English league game plus Scottish and non league reports. A further 14 pages of sports reports covering at least 17 other sports and a results page for more than 24 different sports worldwide, if you want gossip, rumours and half truths read the Sun, if you want real in depth reports and sensible commentary look elsewhere.:cool:

Jim.

Russ
20-08-2007, 18:51
and what does it have on the back cover, excellent award winning football coverage, the most in depth match reports, interviews and transfer gossip sometimes months ahead of their rivals, just because the news desk doesn't have a reporter worth the name amongst them doesn't mean the sports dept is the same and btw it isn't them that's saying it, it's your own manager and he sounds pretty worried, your right though no one wins the title in August, these days though it can be lost there, you can't just rely on a late run anymore, look at Chelsea last year

Ok I'd have expected you to have a little more insight towards football psychology, evidently I appear to be wrong.

SAF is a master of mind games. Usually he (publically) aimes it at other rmanagers but is known to use it against his own players. SAF knows that 2 points from the opening 3 games is by no means a disaster and has overcome it in the past and undoubtabley will do it again.

Shadow Demon UK
21-08-2007, 01:05
it's your own manager and he sounds pretty worried, your right though no one wins the title in August, these days though it can be lost there, you can't just rely on a late run anymore, look at Chelsea last year

I think even at the start of the season he would have said it would be tough to retain the Premiership, it's never going to be easy to win the premiership, i'm sure Mourinhio, Benitez and Wenger will say it's going to be tough to win the league, so imo this isn't much of a story and it's just a way of motivating the players for the coming weeks.

yesman
21-08-2007, 07:56
Not sure what is mean't by this report about Jol, the heading is "Spurs chiefs 'lose faith in Jol' but the report really doesn't say anything
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6954968.stm
I think Jol overall is doing a good job, this season is only 3 games old after all :rolleyes:

TheDaddy
21-08-2007, 08:20
SAF knows that 2 points from the opening 3 games is by no means a disaster and has overcome it in the past and undoubtabley will do it again.

And yet Jol's position at Spurs is under threat and they have one point more, perhaps we should see if any more players are brought in, to see whether he is worried, after all when it looked like the Carlos deal had stalled he said 'we have no plan B', interesting to see of he has suddenly come up with one or is just panic buying.

Russ
21-08-2007, 08:37
You're not seriously comparing Spurs to United are you?? :spin:

TheDaddy
21-08-2007, 09:00
You're not seriously comparing Spurs to United are you?? :spin:

Of couse not, they have had no success in years and have spent less money, yet they have more points and their managers job is on the line

Russ
21-08-2007, 09:27
Of couse not, they have had no success in years and have spent less money, yet they have more points and their managers job is on the line

Not sure if this was your intention but you've helped reinforce my point. SAF has a history of winning. He's helped the team overcome the odds so why should he be too worried now?

punky
21-08-2007, 09:45
Jol's job isn't on the line. 2 brilliant seasons, best in decades, isn't wiped out by losing two games in a row. Sunderland were lucky, it should have been a draw. Everton was a deserved loss, and we won against Derby 4-0. Disappointing, but we're not going to dump Jol because of it.

As Jol (good friend of Ferguson) says, its far too early to draw any conclusions on how the league will end up. People just like to gossip and stir.

mrmistoffelees
21-08-2007, 10:33
Not sure what is mean't by this report about Jol, the heading is "Spurs chiefs 'lose faith in Jol' but the report really doesn't say anything
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6954968.stm
I think Jol overall is doing a good job, this season is only 3 games old after all :rolleyes:

This typifys EVERY thing that is wrong with the SKY era of football. I'm not a spurs fan, but did Jol not deliver two consecutive ffth place finishes ?

The guy spends £40 million on the team and potentially could be sacked after three games

madness, utter & complete madness

punky
21-08-2007, 10:43
And we lost out on 4th place because we drew one game instead of winning it. And that Arsenal had been playing with their chemistry set.

TheDaddy
21-08-2007, 10:51
Not sure if this was your intention but you've helped reinforce my point. SAF has a history of winning. He's helped the team overcome the odds so why should he be too worried now?

Your manager is concerned enough to go to the press and tell them they can't afford anymore slip ups and you don't think he's worried

punky
21-08-2007, 10:52
Also took 4 years for Ferguson to win a trophy and 6 years for Ferguson to deliver the league. Jol has only been there 3 seasons, with 2 x 5th place finishes, and semi-final of UEFA cup.

TheDaddy
21-08-2007, 10:55
Jol's job isn't on the line. 2 brilliant seasons, best in decades, isn't wiped out by losing two games in a row. Sunderland were lucky, it should have been a draw. Everton was a deserved loss, and we won against Derby 4-0. Disappointing, but we're not going to dump Jol because of it.

As Jol (good friend of Ferguson) says, its far too early to draw any conclusions on how the league will end up. People just like to gossip and stir.

Don't be so sure, if it were one paper I'd agree whole heartedly but for it to be in every paper and on the tv every day, there is more to it

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 ----------

This typifys EVERY thing that is wrong with the SKY era of football. I'm not a spurs fan, but did Jol not deliver two consecutive ffth place finishes ?

The guy spends £40 million on the team and potentially could be sacked after three games

madness, utter & complete madness

None of us know what has gone on there, if he doesn't have the confidence of the chairman or they have fallen out for what ever reason he is a dead man walking, look at Jose last year, could he have come any closer to losing his job?

mrmistoffelees
21-08-2007, 10:56
Also took 4 years for Ferguson to win a trophy and 6 years for Ferguson to deliver the league. Jol has only been there 3 seasons, with 2 x 5th place finishes, and semi-final of UEFA cup.

Thats all well and good however it's a totally different era now !!

punky
21-08-2007, 11:01
Don't be so sure, if it were one paper I'd agree whole heartedly but for it to be in every paper and on the tv every day, there is more to it

Well, i'm not worried. One person misreads a asignal and everyone wants to be on top of it... Plus Spurs have a reputation of going through managers quicker than most people go through hot meals.

TBH, if we sack Jol, certainly this early in the season, then i'd probably just give up on supporting football altogether.

TheDaddy
21-08-2007, 11:04
Well, i'm not worried. One person misreads a asignal and everyone wants to be on top of it....

Or one person at the heart of it leaks it to suit their own agenda :shrug:

punky
21-08-2007, 11:06
Thats all well and good however it's a totally different era now !!

That's all well and good too, but you missed my point. Managers need time to bring success. Ferguson wasn't an overnight success by any imagination. Nowadays managers are only dismissed after a season or two, they don't stand a chance.

mrmistoffelees
21-08-2007, 11:10
That's all well and good too, but you missed my point. Managers need time to bring success. Ferguson wasn't an overnight success by any imagination. Nowadays managers are only dismissed after a season or two, they don't stand a chance.

I think we're in agreement but in a roundabout way :D It's not about football now, It's about money :( and teams are demanding instant success

As i have said before with SKY it's a double edged sword.

Russ
21-08-2007, 11:46
Your manager is concerned enough to go to the press and tell them they can't afford anymore slip ups and you don't think he's worried

So you don't think he uses mind hands to motivate his own players and get other manager over-confident? Do YOU really think he's worried after everything he's achieved?

pedantic
21-08-2007, 11:46
According to the Sporting life rumour mill (http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/live_updates.html) Jol is almost certain to leave.

1025: Further to the speculation on Martin Jol's future, bookies now make the Dutchman odds on to leave Spurs.

Jol was pushed out to 5/1 by William Hills, but they now make him just 8/15 to be the first manager to be axed after a huge punt this morning.

I wonder if it was Daniel Levy, making this alleged huge punt. :erm:

THE SUN

Martin Jol is on the brink of being axed by Spurs after a bust-up with chairman Daniel Levy over striker Dimitar Berbatov's future.

TheDaddy
21-08-2007, 12:02
So you don't think he uses mind hands to motivate his own players and get other manager over-confident? Do YOU really think he's worried after everything he's achieved?

I don't think he was using 'mind hands' in that interview, more like cold hard facts, laying it on the line for everyone to see and I would imagine the success he has already had means he is worried, he'll want this title just as much as he wanted the first and as he said it'll be a struggle now

Shadow Demon UK
21-08-2007, 12:50
According to the Sporting life rumour mill (http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/live_updates.html) Jol is almost certain to leave.

I wonder if it was Daniel Levy, making this alleged huge punt. :erm:

I heard that Jol is being forced out by one of people who was on the apprentice who did interviews for Sir Alan Sugar in one of the later episodes with the contestents who is now actually quite high up in the Spurs board. Apparently he has fallen out with him and now the majority of the board is against him, they are just using the start to the season as a cover story to get rid of him.

Russ
21-08-2007, 13:37
I don't think he was using 'mind hands' in that interview, more like cold hard facts, laying it on the line for everyone to see and I would imagine the success he has already had means he is worried, he'll want this title just as much as he wanted the first and as he said it'll be a struggle now

Well I guess that just illustrates the difference between someone who supports United and someone who is rather cynical toward the most successful British team over the last 20 years!

nffc
21-08-2007, 13:50
And we lost out on 4th place because we drew one game instead of winning it. And that Arsenal had been playing with their chemistry set.
That made me laugh, but wasn't it later proved to have been a stomach bug?

gazzae
21-08-2007, 14:09
Heinze loses bid for Anfield move

Manchester United's Gabriel Heinze has lost his attempt to force the club to allow him to move to rivals Liverpool.
United disputed claims from Heinze, 29, who said the Red Devils gave him written permission to pursue a transfer to another club for a fee of £6.8m.

The matter was referred to a Premier League arbitration panel.

The hearing concluded that the written letter Heinze possessed "was unambiguous in that it envisages only an international transfer".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6954531.stm

Shadow Demon UK
21-08-2007, 14:20
Good, it's what that traitor deserves, i hope we just let him rot in the reserves for the remainder of his contract.

iadom
21-08-2007, 15:36
Good, it's what that traitor deserves, i hope we just let him rot in the reserves for the remainder of his contract.
Sorry, he can see his chances of first team football being limited, if he has any ambition it is understandable he would want that. He has always given maximum effort and is still a top notch fullback, Evra is good but Silvestre is a poor substitute, it may be to late but I for one hope that Fergie can convince him he has a future at OT.

Jim.

Shadow Demon UK
21-08-2007, 15:45
Sorry, he can see his chances of first team football being limited, if he has any ambition it is understandable he would want that. He has always given maximum effort and is still a top notch fullback, Evra is good but Silvestre is a poor substitute, it may be to late but I for one hope that Fergie can convince him he has a future at OT.

Jim.
We stood by him when he was out injured for about a year and how does he repay us for that? Wanting to move to the scousers, yes he was a good player but i for one hope to never see him in a United shirt again after what he's done.

iadom
21-08-2007, 17:00
We stood by him when he was out injured for about a year and how does he repay us for that? Wanting to move to the scousers, yes he was a good player but i for one hope to never see him in a United shirt again after what he's done.

I'm sure that if Chelsea, Arsenal or any of the top half dozen clubs made an offer he would be interested, he didn't initally ask to go to Liverpool, he had a clause in his contract allowing him to go if the price was right, personally I think it is morally wrong to prevent him going to any club that matches the asking price, I am also sure that if he was getting a regular game he would not want to go.

He is still under contract and would be hard to replace.

Jim.

yesman
21-08-2007, 21:55
Cambridge Utd 5-1 Farsley Celtic

I can't believe this good start.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cambridge_utd/tables/default.stm

TheDaddy
22-08-2007, 08:13
Well I guess that just illustrates the difference between someone who supports United and someone who is rather cynical toward the most successful British team over the last 20 years!

Whose being cynical? All I did was repeat his words, you can say it's mind games, mind hands or mind over matter all you want, the fact is imo his statement isn't meant to motivate anyone nor upset any of his rivals, it's meant as a cold hard warning based, on the way the last few League seasons have gone

Russ
22-08-2007, 08:19
Whose being cynical? All I did was repeat his words, you can say it's mind games, mind hands or mind over matter all you want, the fact is imo his statement isn't meant to motivate anyone nor upset any of his rivals, it's meant as a cold hard warning based, on the way the last few League seasons have gone

First of all there is no such thing as 'mind hands' - the 'hands' bit appeared as I was posting from my phone, I meant to say 'games' but predictive text got carried away... :spin:

Secondly you've just summed up my point! Your opinion is that it's not meant to be mind games - you're hardly a United fan, you want to see us fail so it's obvious how you'd view it. But SAF is a master of mind games, he uses them on other managers, he uses them on his team. It's as clear as day to those who aren't cynical to United! You've repeated his words but it's not exactly unheard of for him to say one thing and mean another!

TheDaddy
22-08-2007, 08:52
Your opinion is that it's not meant to be mind games - you're hardly a United fan, you want to see us fail so it's obvious how you'd view it. But SAF is a master of mind games, he uses them on other managers, he uses them on his team. It's as clear as day to those who aren't cynical to United! You've repeated his words but it's not exactly unheard of for him to say one thing and mean another!

I don't want to see you fail, any success is largely irrelevant to me, in fact if it came to a choice of you or Chelsea I'd be rooting for you guys, I don't think mind games work on managers anymore, sure it can upset people and get you involved in annoying feuds but the days of keegan and his little speech are long gone and if he is using them on the players as you say, it's a pretty basic attempt from the 'master', he doesn't need to get in their heads to tell them what the experience of the last few seasons should make them fully aware of

---------- Post added at 08:52 ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 ----------

First of all there is no such thing as 'mind hands' - the 'hands' bit appeared as I was posting from my phone, I meant to say 'games' but predictive text got carried away... :spin:

Mind hands, lol ;)

Shadow Demon UK
22-08-2007, 11:19
the days of keegan and his little speech are long gone
You reminded me of it and i can't stop laughing. 'I will love it if we beat them':rofl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8p8xppxwA&NR=1

tick
22-08-2007, 11:54
[QUOTE=yesman;34380618]Cambridge Utd 5-1 Farsley Celtic

I can't believe this good start.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cambridge_utd/tables/default.stm

:D[/QUOTE

will they play as well for the rest of the seson.
Farsley where not a good side.
good start for us thought

Mal
22-08-2007, 20:53
Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6958131.stm)
Manchester United defender Gabriel Heinze has agreed to join Real Madrid.

A statement on the Real Madrid website confirmed the two clubs had agreed a fee and Heinze will sign a four-year contract with the Spanish champions.

Russ
22-08-2007, 20:54
Nice result for the boyos tonight :tu:

Shadow Demon UK
22-08-2007, 21:03
Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6958131.stm)

Apparently he's gone for 8million. Not bad, we stop him from going to the scousers and get an extra couple of million for him than we would have got if he had gone to them. Good to see he's gone quickly so the scousers can't complain about the decision not to let him go there.

Russ
22-08-2007, 22:01
Anyone going to mention the action tonight then? :D

DocDutch
22-08-2007, 22:02
omg Wales won a game Russ ;)

didnt see the england game...couldnt be bothered but losing against Germany isnt too bad its a good team still and its rebuilding.

Derek
22-08-2007, 22:07
Anyone going to mention the action tonight then? :D

Well Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland the the Republic of Ireland all won.

Oh and some pub team got beaten by the Germans. :D

Russ
22-08-2007, 22:11
omg Wales won a game Russ ;)

didnt see the england game...couldnt be bothered but losing against Germany isnt too bad its a good team still and its rebuilding.

Ah yes, 'rebuilding'. Wasn't that the same word used to describe the English rugby team? :D

cimt
22-08-2007, 22:15
.....and Boro have reportedly sold Yakubu to everton for £11.25m.

http://www.mfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,1~1097592,00.html

yeah he's gone.

TheDaddy
22-08-2007, 22:52
Ah yes, 'rebuilding'. Wasn't that the same word used to describe the English rugby team? :D

Think he was actually talking about the Germans rebuilding but dont let that get in the way :rolleyes:

gazzae
22-08-2007, 22:57
Good result for Norn Iron. We are 2nd in the group, 1 point ahead of Spain and 2 behind Sweden. Some big games coming up!

Russ
22-08-2007, 23:00
Think he was actually talking about the Germans rebuilding but dont let that get in the way :rolleyes:

It was a bit ambiguous really but still, in 'smug celt' mode things can easily get mixed up :D

Still, England have a very real chance of winning Euro 2008 of course. And McClaren is the man to do it.

Well done to all...erm most of the home nations :D

yesman
22-08-2007, 23:23
Bring back Sven :blush:

TheDaddy
24-08-2007, 01:50
Apparently Cambridge, Leeds and Notts Forrest are the favourites to be taken over, it's an interesting concept

http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/

nffc
24-08-2007, 01:58
It's a load of tosh. Whoever has the money to buy the club would then not be able to run it.

TheDaddy
24-08-2007, 02:14
It's a load of tosh. Whoever has the money to buy the club would then not be able to run it.

I don't know much about it, only what I read in an article about them yesterday, seems that the members will chose which club to go for and vote on all issues except ones during the game, which is probably why Leeds and Notts Forrest have the most votes amongst their members, being to clubs with big support in the lower leagues, imo they shouldn't go for either, they are to big, money wise though they have a budget of 1.3 million for the first year, to buy the club and run it

nffc
24-08-2007, 13:42
That wouldn't be enough to buy us let alone sign new players which the fans constantly demand.

TheDaddy
24-08-2007, 15:31
That wouldn't be enough to buy us let alone sign new players which the fans constantly demand.

Exactly what I meant when I said you and Leeds were to big for this, 1.3 million though could do wonders for a div 2 or conference team, it would finally give fans the chance to show they should be listened to by chairmen as well

Edit: It's 1.4 million nearly now

Here are the top 15 clubs, Arsenal 9th Man U 12th :rofl:

TOP 15 CLUBS
most voted for so far

1 Leeds United
2 Nottingham Forest
3 Cambridge United
4 Accrington Stanley
5 Brighton
6 Barnet
7 QPR
8 Brentford
9 Arsenal
10 York City
11 Torquay United
12 Manchester United
13 Oxford United
14 Woking
15 Dagenham & Redbridge

Shadow Demon UK
24-08-2007, 17:55
I actually signed up for this a while ago and voted for one of the lower clubs. I think it would be intersting to see if it actually works even though i'm not too sure it will.

yesman
24-08-2007, 18:03
Benitez..........

Benitez was also angry about what he claimed was the drawn-out nature of Liverpool's signing of Javier Mascherano, compared to United's signing of Carlos Tevez - a deal he felt was pushed through quicker.
:confused:

I think Benitez is having a laugh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6962016.stm

yesman
24-08-2007, 23:40
Man Utd eyeing Berbatov
Manchester United are interested in signing Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov, claims the player's agent.
Emil Dantchev told Bulgaria's Darik Radio: "We had a 90-minute meeting with Tottenham's chairman Daniel Levy and sporting director Damien Comolli. "They informed us that there's a query from Manchester United about the possibility of Berbatov joining them.

Bad news for Spurs fans if it goes ahead.

BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6963150.stm)

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

Man Utd eyeing Berbatov

Bad news for Spurs fans if it goes ahead.

BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6963150.stm)

I give up........

Manchester United have denied claims that they have contacted Spurs about signing striker Dimitar Berbatov.

The Bulgarian international's agent said on Friday that the Premier League champions had sounded out Tottenham about a potential move.
But chief executive David Gill issued a denial, saying: "We have categorically not made a bid for Dimitar Berbatov." Spurs added: "We have not received an offer and would not accept one if we did - it is as simple as that."

BBC Speculation Department (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6963150.stm)

TheDaddy
25-08-2007, 08:40
Benitez..........
:confused:

I think Benitez is having a laugh

No because the actual registration of the transfer, once we'd all agreed on the deal was completed in no time, where as Liverpool had to receive special clearance for the deal to go ahead due to the transfer window closing tbh though he is making mischief because if 'that' clause wasn't in Tevez contract with Man Utd, why would there be a delay

pedantic
25-08-2007, 11:46
QPR's Ray Jones dies in car crash (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/6963546.stm)

The club said the collision occurred at about 0020 BST on Saturday in the High Street at South East Ham.

I don't know the player at all, but sad news, at such a young age.

sherer
25-08-2007, 13:51
what Rafa is forgetting is that he had played in Brasil for Corinthians, plus he had played for West Ham. Under FIFA rules a player can sign for three clubs during a season but only play for two.

Due to the fact that his games in Brasil was actually for the season before, although due to the way the league is run those dates were only a few months ago, they had to run this past FIFA and to get clearance.

Tevez was signed during a new season so we had no problems with this rule

TheDaddy
25-08-2007, 14:28
QPR's Ray Jones dies in car crash (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/6963546.stm)

I don't know the player at all, but sad news, at such a young age.

He was quite talented apparently, Sheff Utd, Charlton and Wigan were fighting over him in January, very sad :(

cimt
26-08-2007, 16:55
Boro 2 - 2 Newcastle

It wasn't a bad game, shame fat lad scored for them though.

iadom
26-08-2007, 18:33
Boro 2 - 2 Newcastle

It wasn't a bad game, shame fat lad scored for them though.

What is the capacitiy at the Riverside, pathetic sub 29,000 attendance for a local derby.:rolleyes:

Jim.

cimt
26-08-2007, 18:37
What is the capacitiy at the Riverside, pathetic sub 29,000 attendance for a local derby.:rolleyes:

Jim.

35k if I remember.

tick
27-08-2007, 20:46
cambridge drew again close call goal 90 min we hey

yesman
27-08-2007, 21:57
cambridge drew again close call goal 90 min we hey

Yep, the U's seem to have a habit of scoring in added time of late.
Just watched the Stevenage - Oxford match, and Stevenage on tonights performance look a very good side as did Oxford really, it was a good game.
This is a better league than people give it credit for, having said that, I would rather see United back in the football league.

pedantic
27-08-2007, 23:53
SOLSKJAER QUITS - REPORT (http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/08/27/manual_231457.html)

Manchester United favourite Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has retired due to a knee injury, according to Sky Sports.

End of a great career, for a great striker, I for one will miss him. :(

Shadow Demon UK
28-08-2007, 00:10
SOLSKJAER QUITS - REPORT (http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/08/27/manual_231457.html)

End of a great career, for a great striker, I for one will miss him. :(

I really hope that is not true :(:(:(

A great player, a true legend, thanks for everything Ole :tu:

Russ
28-08-2007, 07:40
I really hope that is not true :(:(:(

The beeb have picked up on it too :(

A true Old Trafford legend - we will never forget THAT goal :tu:

sherer
28-08-2007, 10:01
it's a sad day but I think it's for the best. I know he got 10 goals last season but all of those were tap ins and open goals. he never was the player he was before and it would be a shame to see him come on and not be good enough.

True legend for the club, hope he gets offered a coaching role for the club as he's been a tremendous servant.

Now means we have Rooney, Tevez, Saha and Dong as our strikers this season. Wish he still had Rossi or Smith

Shadow Demon UK
28-08-2007, 16:00
Spain international Antonio Puerta has died after suffering a heart attack in his club side Sevilla's 4-1 win against Getafe on Saturday.

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6964586.stm)

Very sad :(

RIP

sherer
28-08-2007, 16:12
i was just reading that myself. Wonder if there is more to this case like performance drugs or anything.

Very sad as he was only 22

yesman
28-08-2007, 19:41
True legend for the club, hope he gets offered a coaching role for the club as he's been a tremendous servant.
He already is.......
Chief executive David Gill - "Ole will be dearly missed as a player, but will go on to serve the Club as an Ambassador and a valuable coach."
:tu:

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={FE60904B-C2A8-4E60-9B05-700DBBC29BBC}&bioid=91961&section=playerProfile&page=3

Nice compilation - tribute here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhXQo0KwDSA&mode=related&search=)

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

A bit of news for The Daddy.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/6967593.stm ;)

Shadow Demon UK
28-08-2007, 19:47
A bit of news for The Daddy.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/6967593.stm ;)

Good news for United and Arsenal fans, they were both apparently intrested in signing him aswell :);)

superbiatch
28-08-2007, 22:07
Well done to Liverpool - a well deserved 4-0 win :D

Mal
28-08-2007, 22:14
Good news for United and Arsenal fans, they were both apparently intrested in signing him aswell :);)I guess that you are not impressed with him then? ;)

Shadow Demon UK
28-08-2007, 22:39
I guess that you are not impressed with him then? ;)

Your right, i'm not impressed by a fat, depressed, alcoholic that used to be a very good player and is now about 5th choice at Inter.
(He will probably end up top scorer now i've said this :dozey:)

Nugget
28-08-2007, 23:04
Come on you Villa :)

No disrepect to Wrexham, but I'm just hoping tonights results keeps confidence high for Chelsea at the weekend :)

nffc
28-08-2007, 23:19
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/6963502.stm

heh.

punky
29-08-2007, 14:13
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/6963502.stm

heh.

I don't think its very funny :td:

nffc
30-08-2007, 00:44
I don't think its very funny :td:

I said heh as in meh and blah or something as in "nothing to add". Not hehe.

yesman
30-08-2007, 17:55
It looks as though Arsenal are to be bought out by a Russian....

David Dein, the former Arsenal vice-chairman, has sold his 14.5% stake in the club to a firm co-owned by a Russian billionaire.
The news of the involvement of Alisher Usmanov, who bought the stake for £75m, adds to pressure on the club's board to give in to a takeover.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6971124.stm

More on this story from the Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=478805&in_page_id=1779&ct=5&ito=1479)

Now, he has been appointed chairman of a company whose goal is to gain hold of a significant stake in the club's shareholding, with Dein having sold his 14.58% stake for £75million to the Red and White Holdings Ltd company.
Red and White is jointly owned by Russian businessman, Alisher Usmanov, and London-based investor, Farhad Moshiri, but has appointed Dein as its chairman. Dein will spearhead plans to increase its stake in Arsenal, although he insists there is "no current intention to make a takeover offer".

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

Champions League Draw...
Group F
MANCHESTER UNITED
Roma
Sporting Lisbon
Dynamo Kiev

Roma again :erm:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6970924.stm

Media Boy UK
30-08-2007, 18:02
Draw for the 2007/08 Champions League

British teams in bold and the top seeds in CAPITALS

Group A
LIVERPOOL
Porto
Marseille
Besiktas

Group B
CHELSEA
Valencia
Schalke 04
Rosenborg

Group C
REAL MADRID
Werder Bremen
Lazio
Olympiakos

Group D
AC MILAN
Benfica
Celtic
Shakhtar Donetsk

Group E
BARCELONA
Lyon
Stuttgart
Rangers

Group F
MANCHESTER UNITED
Roma
Sporting Lisbon
Dynamo Kiev

Group G
INTER MILAN
PSV Eindhoven
CSKA Moscow
Fenerbahce

Group H
ARSENAL
Sevilla/AEK Athens
Steau Bucharest
Slavia Prague

Info from BBC Sport online.

Shadow Demon UK
30-08-2007, 18:02
Champions League Draw...
Group F
MANCHESTER UNITED
Roma
Sporting Lisbon
Dynamo Kiev

Roma again :erm:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6970924.stm

Tough group for us, the one team i didn't want is Roma. Ronaldo and Nani going back to thier old club as well.

Why do Arsenal always get the easiest bloody group :rolleyes:

Good luck Rangers lol

Media Boy UK
30-08-2007, 18:06
I think they will end up:
Draw for the 2007/08 Champions League

British teams in bold and the top seeds in CAPITALS

Group A
LIVERPOOL 1/2
Porto 1/2
Marseille 3
Besiktas 4

Group B
CHELSEA 1
Valencia 2/3
Schalke 04 2/3/4
Rosenborg 3/4

Group C
REAL MADRID 1
Werder Bremen 2/3
Lazio 2/3
Olympiakos 4

Group D
AC MILAN 1
Benfica 2/3
Celtic 2/3
Shakhtar Donetsk 4

Group E
BARCELONA 1
Lyon 2
Stuttgart 4
Rangers 3

Group F
MANCHESTER UNITED 1
Roma 2/3
Sporting Lisbon 2/3
Dynamo Kiev 4

Group G
INTER MILAN 1
PSV Eindhoven 2/3
CSKA Moscow 2/3
Fenerbahce 4

Group H
ARSENAL 1
Sevilla/AEK Athens 2
Steau Bucharest 3
Slavia Prague 4

Info from BBC Sport online.

DocDutch
30-08-2007, 18:56
dont know bout the group for Arsenal. Bucharest and Slavia are quite strong Sevilla or AEK are not easy either. but then saying that ManUre has got a lovely group and yes Chelsea and Liverpool are quite interesting as well.

really dont fancy putting bets on group A tho... besiktas (nasty crowd) Marseille (can be really good and dangerous) Porto (ouch again hard team to beat)

BBKing
30-08-2007, 19:00
Why do Arsenal always get the easiest bloody group

We don't. This year is the first for a while where we've not got at least one tough team. 03/04 was as hard as nails. 01/02 was pretty straightforward.

98/99 - Dynamo Kyiv, Lens, Panthinaikos
99/00 - Barcelona, Fiorentina, AIK
00/01 - Sparta Prague, Shakhtar Donetsk, Lazio then Spartak Moscow, Bayern Munich, Lyon
01/02 - Real Mallorca, Schalke, Panathinaikos then Deportivo, Juventus, Bayer Leverkusen
02/03 - Borussia Dortmund, PSV, Auxerre then Roma, Ajax, Valencia
03/04 - Inter Milan, Lokomotiv Moscow, Dynamo Kyiv
04/05 - Panathinaikos, PSV, Rosenborg
05/06 - Ajax, Thun, Sparta Prague
06/07 - Hamburg, Porto, CSKA Moscow
07/08 - Slavia Prague, Sevilla/AEK, Steaua Bucharest

Shadow Demon UK
30-08-2007, 19:12
We don't. This year is the first for a while where we've not got at least one tough team. 03/04 was as hard as nails. 01/02 was pretty straightforward.

98/99 - Dynamo Kyiv, Lens, Panthinaikos
99/00 - Barcelona, Fiorentina, AIK
00/01 - Sparta Prague, Shakhtar Donetsk, Lazio then Spartak Moscow, Bayern Munich, Lyon
01/02 - Real Mallorca, Schalke, Panathinaikos then Deportivo, Juventus, Bayer Leverkusen
02/03 - Borussia Dortmund, PSV, Auxerre then Roma, Ajax, Valencia
03/04 - Inter Milan, Lokomotiv Moscow, Dynamo Kyiv
04/05 - Panathinaikos, PSV, Rosenborg
05/06 - Ajax, Thun, Sparta Prague
06/07 - Hamburg, Porto, CSKA Moscow
07/08 - Slavia Prague, Sevilla/AEK, Steaua Bucharest

I'm sorry but all of those are much easier than the group United have this year. It's probably more of a case of Arsenal making it hard for themselves rather than the group actually being difficult. ;)

cimt
01-09-2007, 16:58
Boro won 2 - 0. Wheather and Downing scored. :D

iadom
01-09-2007, 18:14
Well, the first half at OT was a good as the quality of the picture on Sultana.:rolleyes: :td:

Jim.

yesman
01-09-2007, 18:16
Good reception for Keano's return to Old Trafford, however the game is a bit of a dud so far.

Tevez and Anderson look out of their depth. Nani, not too bad.

Only plus signs at half time is Scholes and Evra.

How we need Ronaldo and Rooney back, or even for Saha to appear in the second half would do.

Overall :( 2/10 for the first half

Shadow Demon UK
01-09-2007, 19:16
How we need Ronaldo and Rooney back, or even for Saha to appear in the second half would do.

Saha was definately what we needed, did very well for his first appearance in a long time :tu:

yesman
01-09-2007, 23:47
Saha was definately what we needed, did very well for his first appearance in a long time :tu:

Let's hope he lasts a bit longer this time and makes it to the end of the season.

Also, nice to see United catching up with the early leaders after a shaky start to the season.

Mal
01-09-2007, 23:49
Also, nice to see United catching up with the early leaders after a shaky start to the season.We may have gotten the 3 points, but the shaky start isn't over yet.

yesman
01-09-2007, 23:51
We may have gotten the 3 points, but the shaky start isn't over yet.
I think you might be right there.

Mal
01-09-2007, 23:56
I think you might be right there.We looked like a team of new players, who hadn't played together before... :(

Shadow Demon UK
01-09-2007, 23:56
We may have gotten the 3 points, but the shaky start isn't over yet.

I think with Ronaldo, Rooney and Saha back in the side, which looks like it will be the next match, it will soon be over.

Gareth
02-09-2007, 18:48
2-0!!!!!

José and Abramovich weren't smiling very much today :D

:woot: :woot: :woot:

yesman
02-09-2007, 20:02
2-0!!!!!

Nice one :tu:

superbiatch
02-09-2007, 21:59
2-0!!!!!

Abramovich actually left before the game was over - sore loser!

Be interesting to see if Murinho will speak on MOTD2 after ;)

Nugget
02-09-2007, 22:43
2-0!!!!!

Chelsea absolutely battered us, and we still didn't concede :)

Laursen more than deserved Man of the Match, but it could have been any of the back four today - I'd have been happy with a 0-0, but this was just a fabulous result :D

Gareth
02-09-2007, 23:09
Abramovich actually left before the game was over - sore loser!Yes, did you see Deadly Doug sat behind him and then shake his hand as he left? He had a huge smile on his face :D

Chelsea absolutely battered us, and we still didn't concede :)

Laursen more than deserved Man of the Match, but it could have been any of the back four today - I'd have been happy with a 0-0, but this was just a fabulous result :DYeah, me too. Funnily enough my Big Sis had tickets to the game... we were going to go and take my nipper along. However, as it would be his first Villa game I said we'd watch us play against another team - one that we stood a good chance of winning, as I didn't want his first experience to be a bad one. Really wish we'd gone, cause the atmosphere seemed electric - although the language was colourful at times too (especially the chants aimed at Terry, Drogba and Mourinho).

As such, my Sis flogged the tickets to a friend of her's... who is a big Chelski fan :D

iadom
03-09-2007, 10:58
Talk about an amazing coincidence,

FC United the team founded by disgruntled Man U supporters upset by the Glazers takeover played in the FA Cup preliminary rounds over the weekend. The club, now in the Unibond Div 1 Nth, on level four of the pyramid, beat Trafford FC 5-2 to progress to the qualifying round proper. Their opponents in that game will be Fleetwood Town.

Over a century ago, Newton Heath FC's first ever game in the FA Cup was also against Fleetwood Town. :cool: If they manage to win six more games in the competition they could be drawn against the Reds. :shocked:

Jim.

yesman
05-09-2007, 00:01
Talk about an amazing coincidence,

FC United :cool: If they manage to win six more games in the competition they could be drawn against the Reds. :shocked:

Jim.

And then be annihilated ;)

TheDaddy
06-09-2007, 21:56
Hmm I'd have loved to see what he could do with a team like Barcelona or even England

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6981442.stm

yesman
06-09-2007, 23:11
Hmm I'd have loved to see what he could do with a team like Barcelona or even England

I wouldn't mind him getting the England job, having said that, why would anyone in their right mind take it though..............apart from the money that is.

Shadow Demon UK
06-09-2007, 23:18

He might do the same as Henry, sign a new deal and one year later realise he signed it with the wrong club...

TheDaddy
06-09-2007, 23:24
He might do the same as Henry, sign a new deal and one year later realise he signed it with the wrong club...

Unlikely, apparently he holds dear the fact he has never broken a contract, men with integrity are pretty rare in football these day's

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

I wouldn't mind him getting the England job, having said that, why would anyone in their right mind take it though..............apart from the money that is.

Hell of a lot of prestige comes with it to, as well as the weight of press and public expectation of course, I mean we ran Big Phil out of the job before his appointment was even announced, quite an achievement really :rolleyes:

yesman
07-09-2007, 14:21
Hell of a lot of prestige comes with it to, as well as the weight of press and public expectation of course, I mean we ran Big Phil out of the job before his appointment was even announced, quite an achievement really :rolleyes:

Guus Hiddink should have been employed to do the job, and maybe, just maybe he will get one over on England next Wednesday.

DocDutch
08-09-2007, 19:43
well England managed to beat Israel..... lets see what happens weds :)

yesman
08-09-2007, 23:16
I actually thought Heskey had a good game along with Wright Phillips and Micah Richards, which hopefully bodes well for the future.

My only gripe is that after Richards goes on his sorties into the oppostion half of the field and it comes to nothing, he ought to get back quicker , rather than ambling as though he has a fortnight to do it.

TheDaddy
08-09-2007, 23:21
I actually thought Heskey had a good game along with Wright Phillips and Micah Richards, which hopefully bodes well for the future.

My only gripe is that after Richards goes on his sorties into the oppostion half of the field and it comes to nothing, he ought to get back quicker , rather than ambling as though he has a fortnight to do it.

Same old Hesky though, missing chances, the real problem is our best two forwards don't play well together

pedantic
09-09-2007, 00:54
Russ not mentioning the footy tonight then ? :D

Russ
09-09-2007, 03:35
No because Russ has been in Ireland for a week and has been driving since 9pm last night and is, as they say in the trade, knackard :spin:

---------- Post added at 03:35 ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 ----------

edit: What, we got beat by one of the best sides in Europe? Come on, I'm sure England know how that feels ;)

TheDaddy
09-09-2007, 12:00
edit: What, we got beat by one of the best sides in Europe? Come on, I'm sure England know how that feels ;)

The difference is though when we lose you and your insecure little buddies use it to try and have a dig, similar to what you just attempted there, Wales or Scotland lose and we barely even notice, your countries just aren't relevant

Saaf_laandon_mo
09-09-2007, 12:03
The difference is though when we lose you and your insecure little buddies use it to try and have a dig, similar to what you just attempted there, Wales or Scotland lose and we barely even notice, your countries just aren't relevant

Ouch, that could be game set and match, lol.......

Wasn't Owen's goal brilliant?

Russ
09-09-2007, 14:09

Well someone asked where I was ;)

And I'm sure you'll agree I'm not insecure at all :)

Just pointing out that whereas we lost to Germany, so did the Saesneg.

what?
09-09-2007, 14:12
owens goal was good.

mcfaddens for scorland was better.

not sayin scotland are the better team, but if england had pulled the two world cup finalists in the qualifiers... wonder if they'd still be in a challenging position in the group. and i wonder if we'd ever stop hearing about how well they were doing and how hard a group they had got and how it just wasnt fair :(

yesman
09-09-2007, 20:57
This type of story about Man Utd keeps on popping its head up in the news.....

The Glazers completed a £790m takeover of United in 2005 and they recently denied they were going to sell the club after reported interest from buyers in China and Dubai.

For £1 Billion IIRC

Now this....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6986096.stm

I am beginning to wonder if there is any truth in it at all.

Arthurgray50@blu
09-09-2007, 21:15
Being a Spurs fan, l want to change the subject a bit, and say that the problems at White Hart Lane, should be that Martin Jol SHOULD stay as Manager, he is well loved by the fans, and you can stick any manager who is thinking of contacting Daniel Levy about taking over, it should be Levy who should leave, and l thought that l would never say that, l know from todays papers, that there is a mystery buyer, prepared to buy out Levy and Enic. so MARTIN MUST STAY, he is better than Sir Alex

TheDaddy
09-09-2007, 21:19
so MARTIN MUST STAY, he is better than Sir Alex

:rofl:
Arthur you must be a WUM

Arthurgray50@blu
09-09-2007, 22:10
Hello The Daddy, What is a WUM, if it is what l think it is, the answer is no, l am not mad, l was only joking when l said that Martin was better than Sir Alex, he is a brilliant manager, there are only a few managers, in the Sir Alex mould, one is Bill Nicholson, the greatest manager that Spurs has ever had and the other is the man who SHOULD have been England manager and that was the great Brian Clough.

It would have been great is Sir Alex could have managed England, he would have kick some butt, but the anger amonst Spurs, that Martin is being treated poorly by the Spurs board, and l for one, who has supported Tottenham all my life and that is well over thirty years, will always appreciate that Martin has taken us into Europe TWICE in two years, after many years in the wilderness, Up the Lillywhites.:)

TheDaddy
09-09-2007, 22:25
Hello The Daddy, What is a WUM, if it is what l think it is, the answer is no, l am not mad, l was only joking when l said that Martin was better than Sir Alex, he is a brilliant manager, there are only a few managers, in the Sir Alex mould, one is Bill Nicholson, the greatest manager that Spurs has ever had and the other is the man who SHOULD have been England manager and that was the great Brian Clough.

It would have been great is Sir Alex could have managed England, he would have kick some butt, but the anger amonst Spurs, that Martin is being treated poorly by the Spurs board, and l for one, who has supported Tottenham all my life and that is well over thirty years, will always appreciate that Martin has taken us into Europe TWICE in two years, after many years in the wilderness, Up the Lillywhites.:)

Perhaps he has been treated badly but then we don't know what has gone on behind closed doors and imo his performances haven't made him untouchable, he has won nothing, in fact he had only ever won one trophy in over 10 years as a manager and any manager that spends the amount of money he has should be put under pressure and as for Fergie being England manager, didn't he take a pretty good Scotland team to Mexico '86, they didn't win a game IIRC.

Btw WUM = Wind Up Merchant

Arthurgray50@blu
09-09-2007, 22:58
Hello The Daddy, l am a good WUM, and l can take WU as well.
We will win the the Premier League and FA Cup this season.:)

sherer
10-09-2007, 10:19
as for Fergie being England manager, didn't he take a pretty good Scotland team to Mexico '86, they didn't win a game IIRC.

yep very true. Also for some strange reason he didn't take Alan Hansen to the final's either

Nugget
10-09-2007, 11:15
Hello The Daddy, l am a good WUM, and l can take WU as well.
We will win the the Premier League and FA Cup this season.:)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're not ;) :D

TheDaddy
10-09-2007, 11:48
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're not ;) :D

Avoiding relegation would be an achievement :D

yesman
10-09-2007, 22:34
Not very good news for Man Utd according to "MUST"

http://www.joinmust.org/forum/showthread.php?p=215203#post215203

superbiatch
12-09-2007, 02:29
This is bad (and i'm a Liverpool fan)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6990458.stm - Sir Alex Ferguson attacked

punky
12-09-2007, 09:16
This is bad (and i'm a Liverpool fan)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6990458.stm - Sir Alex Ferguson attacked

I suspect i'm going to get red-repped to hell for this but...

Can we give the attacker a knighthood as well?

Ferguson is a horrible little bully of a 'man' who uses violence and intimidation. I think his come-uppance is long overdue. He kicks objects at people's faces, almost blinding them, and shows no remorse or decency

Shadow Demon UK
12-09-2007, 09:21
I suspect i'm going to get red-repped to hell for this but...

Can we give the attacker a knighthood as well?

Ferguson is a horrible little bully of a 'man' who uses violence and intimidation. I think his come-uppance is long overdue. He kicks objects at people's faces, almost blinding them, and shows no remorse or decency

Thats a horrible thing to say, your basically saying it's ok to go around and mug and assault old men in the street :(

I think you'll find Ferguson is one of the nicest most respected people in the game and when has he ever bullied or nearly blinded people?

Your as bad as the person that assaulted him imo saying stuff like that.

DocDutch
12-09-2007, 09:25
Thats a horrible thing to say, your basically saying it's ok to go around and mug and assault old men in the street :(

I think you'll find Ferguson is one of the nicest most respected people in the game and when has he ever bullied or nearly blinded people?

bullied: Jaap Stam, Keane, Beckham to name a few
blinded: Beckham.

okay its wrong for abuse but hey its the UK its happening everywhere now so why not to Alex Ferguson. it was probably a mugger that wanted some of his cash of which he has more then enough, havent seen if the guy is a supporter of any team yet but it would be funny if it was a ManUre supporter as london is full of those

punky
12-09-2007, 09:25

Its not OK to assault and mug people, and two wrongs don't make a right, but there is a certain sense of justice in a happy slapper getting slapped.

Anyway Beckham might disagree with the not-almost-blinding-people remark.

He may have respect for his winnings, but anyone that has to use the violence and intimidation that he does, to get results, doesn't deserve respect.

Shadow Demon UK
12-09-2007, 09:28
Its not OK to assault and mug people, and two wrongs don't make a right, but there is a certain sense of justice in a happy slapper getting slapped.

Anyway Beckham might disagree with the not-almost-blinding-people remark.

I think you'll find they both said it was an accident.

When has Ferguson ever assaulted someone then? Or even used any form of violence? I think you need to get your facts right before you comment on things like this.

DocDutch
12-09-2007, 09:44
shadow, what do you call a boot being thrown at your head?

think that would class in some ways as ASSAULT ;)

Shadow Demon UK
12-09-2007, 09:50
shadow, what do you call a boot being thrown at your head?

think that would class in some ways as ASSAULT ;)

I've only had a quick search for an article but -

For Beckham himself he has been trying to mend bridges with his former manager at Old Trafford (http://www.squarefootball.net/article/article.asp?aid=3811#), describing the flying boot incident as 'an accident' this week and generally harking back to the fantastic team spirit that he enjoyed in Manchester.

http://www.squarefootball.net/article/article.asp?aid=3811

People really need to get their facts right before they say it's ok to assault a pensioner for no good reason.

punky
12-09-2007, 09:52
I think you'll find they both said it was an accident.

When has Ferguson ever assaulted someone then? Or even used any form of violence? I think you need to get your facts right before you comment on things like this.

Accidents happen all the time. You just happen to be a person with a renouned temper, who after a defeat against a bitter rival, accidently trips over a boot lying around, causing it to fly across the room at someone's face.

Ferguson's violence, with hair-dryer treatments and throwing cups (stop me if you see a pattern here) is well-documented. You can believe what you want.

My first comment about the knighthood is sarcasm, and there is no excuse for violence. I hope the attacker is prosecuted fully, but I can't shed a tear over someone who uses violence and intimidation as tools-of-the-trade.

TheDaddy
12-09-2007, 10:46
Accidents happen all the time. You just happen to be a person with a renouned temper, who after a defeat against a bitter rival, accidently trips over a boot lying around, causing it to fly across the room at someone's face.

Ferguson's violence, with hair-dryer treatments and throwing cups (stop me if you see a pattern here) is well-documented. You can believe what you want.

My first comment about the knighthood is sarcasm, and there is no excuse for violence. I hope the attacker is prosecuted fully, but I can't shed a tear over someone who uses violence and intimidation as tools-of-the-trade.

I quite agree, the author can call it folklore, I prefer to call it thugery, the game has worked hard to remove such elements amongst the fans, only to be undermined by his actions, it would be rough justice if it were a Liverpool fan that did this, given his almost constant provocative statements over the years about their fans

There are several stories mentioned in relation to Ferguson's hot temper which have nearly passed into folklore. The most notable of these stories involve Sir Alex's kicking a football boot at David Beckham, his throwing of teacups during motivational halftime speeches, and his famed "hair-dryer treatment" in which he vents his ire (and often abuse) directly into a recalcitrant player's face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ferguson

Saaf_laandon_mo
12-09-2007, 11:01
Fergies rants and 'attacks' at players during half time have been well documented but let's remeber they happened in the confines of a dressing room, where the relationship between manager and player/employee is not the same as in other lines of work. yes he rants and raves and throws things at them , and these 'motivational' tools might be dubious, but its important to remember they only happened in the confines of the dressing room and to members of Man Utd. From what I see of him outside football he's a pleasant man, doesnt come across as a bully or a violent man.

Its out of order he's been attacked and I think its out of order to imply that he can be seen as deserving it for how he is in the changing room. As has earlier been pointed out, the guy is a pensioner, and he didnt deserve that no matter what 'previous' form he has.

Im not a Utd or Fergie fan btw. Oh and Im also suprised that one of the highest paid managers (I assume he is) in footy is actually commuting on a train. Nice one.

TheDaddy
12-09-2007, 11:21
From what I see of him outside football he's a pleasant man, doesnt come across as a bully or a violent man.

Its out of order he's been attacked and I think its out of order to imply that he can be seen as deserving it for how he is in the changing room. As has earlier been pointed out, the guy is a pensioner, and he didnt deserve that no matter what 'previous' form he has.

It was only a couple of months back he came out and undermined the efforts of both Liverpool and Man Utd football clubs to make the 'rivalry' between them more friendly, it's the last in a long line of inflammatory statements, things like 'Rooney is as volatile as he is because he is from Liverpool' etc and he has quite a reputation for bullying officials on tv as well and that is just what we see him do in front of the media, he sounds like a lovely bloke :rolleyes:

Who said he deserved it, more of a case of what goes around comes around imo

sherer
12-09-2007, 11:24
i'd hardly call Fergie a violent man. Sure he shouts at people during HT team talks but that is all about creating motivation. Shouting isn't being violent.

I don't think there is any documented edivence of Fergie shouting, throwing tea cups or kicking football boots at people during his normal everyday life away from football.

he's great at man management and he knows if he has to throw a tea cup to get the team worked up and put in a performance then he will.

if he just said oh well we're loosing lads try a bit harder I don't think he would still be at United any more

Shadow Demon UK
12-09-2007, 11:49
It was only a couple of months back he came out and undermined the efforts of both Liverpool and Man Utd football clubs to make the 'rivalry' between them more friendly, it's the last in a long line of inflammatory statements, things like 'Rooney is as volatile as he is because he is from Liverpool' etc and he has quite a reputation for bullying officials on tv as well and that is just what we see him do in front of the media, he sounds like a lovely bloke :rolleyes:

Who said he deserved it, more of a case of what goes around comes around imo

I'm sorry but what your saying is just stupid, basically what your saying is that if you made a statement that i disagreed with i could assault you because of it. Even if he had assaulted someone, which he hasn't, does that make it alright for someone to assault him?

I think some people read too many articles from the sun or news of the world about Ferguson, it's funny how all the players he's managed have the upmost respect for him, i'm sure they wouldn't if he had assaulted or thrown tea cups at them :rolleyes:

gazzae
12-09-2007, 12:23
Do footballers still drink tea? Or does Fergie have his own stash tucked away to throw?

pedantic
12-09-2007, 12:29
I've just compiled a list, of all known 65 year olds, in my area. They are all names of pensioners, who are very bad tempered, and have had a previous history of bullying. Now, where's my baseball bat..........

TheDaddy
12-09-2007, 13:09
I'm sorry but what your saying is just stupid, basically what your saying is that if you made a statement that i disagreed with i could assault you because of it

Yes of course I meant that when I said Who said he deserved it, more of a case of what goes around comes around imo still nice attempt at a parody though

Even if he had assaulted someone, which he hasn't, does that make it alright for someone to assault him?

As I said no one has said he deserves it and you call me stupid?

I think some people read too many articles from the sun or news of the world about Ferguson, it's funny how all the players he's managed have the upmost respect for him, i'm sure they wouldn't if he had assaulted or thrown tea cups at them :rolleyes:

Course I realise you think the sun shines out of his backside, wonder how many people might get hurt because of his ill judged comments about Utd and Liverpool's rivalry and how many people wasted their time trying to build ties between the clubs, btw I get most of news and information from the BBC where do you get yours from United press releases?

yesman
12-09-2007, 19:36
Here you go Russ :tu:

Slovakia 2-5 Wales

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6985879.stm

Russ
12-09-2007, 19:57
I thank you! :D

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

:eek:

Who's the babe singing England's supposed national anthem? She a hottie :romance:

BBKing
12-09-2007, 20:38
Who took the old, error-prone, boring England away in a spaceship and brought out this lot? If this is what happens when Lampard gets injured, we'll have that bloke who kicked Fergie hired to kick Frank whenever he looks like getting up. Barry is superb, why the hell didn't we have him alongside Gerrard before? Perfect man for the role.

TheDaddy
12-09-2007, 20:44
Who took the old, error-prone, boring England away in a spaceship and brought out this lot? If this is what happens when Lampard gets injured, we'll have that bloke who kicked Fergie hired to kick Frank whenever he looks like getting up. Barry is superb, why the hell didn't we have him alongside Gerrard before? Perfect man for the role.

Yes if Mclaren has any sense he won't be rushing Rooney and Lampard back into the team

Btw Russ I seem to remember Motty saying the girls name was Sayer something an Australian

BBKing
12-09-2007, 20:55
I'd forgotten Rooney. He might destabilise it - there's no one playing badly enough to drop for him, surely?