PDA

View Full Version : are 2mb and 4mb to be upgraded?

parkie
04-08-2007, 00:09
I was told quite a while back by CS that the 2mb and the 4mb services would be upgraded to 5mb and 10mb, is this still on the cards? I hope it's soon, VM aren't looking that competitive at the moment. Anyone know a timetable for this?

p

cimt
04-08-2007, 00:16
It's meant to be happening. I can't see upgrades being done till 20Mb is sorted out. So it could be some time before 2 and 4 get upgraded.

Web-Junkie
04-08-2007, 00:42
Oh gawd! Another 'is the 2mb/4mb being upgraded' thread.

Simple answer, NO!

Rumour is all that's floating about regarding upgrades to the lower tiers, nobody in any official capacity has stated *categorically* that upgrades are planned! So for now upgrade to 20mb or be happy with you current speed!

v0id
04-08-2007, 02:32
No official word as yet, but I guess they will be upgraded in say.... 2 - 5 years :D

vmtech
04-08-2007, 06:59
nope they havent said anything to us yet

xspeedyx
04-08-2007, 08:04
doubt it until they update the docs file so prob next year

themelon
04-08-2007, 12:39
It is competative though really.

Although other providers advertise faster speeds for cheaper you never get them, at least with the 2Mb and 4mb service (on the whole) you generally get what it says on the tin. You can pay for a 8Mb service via ADSL and be lucky to get 1Mb in reality. I would rather them advertise and charge for lower speeds they can deliver than kill the network offering pipe dream speeds that you never actually see. Much like 20Mb appears to be at the moment, I would much rather stay on my stable 10Mb speed.

Taf
04-08-2007, 14:43
I'm mostly content with my up to 4Mb connection, except where it lingers around 1Mb or less....

xpod
04-08-2007, 14:55
Although other providers advertise faster speeds for cheaper you never get them, at least with the 2Mb and 4mb service (on the whole) you generally get what it says on the tin. You can pay for a 8Mb service via ADSL and be lucky to get 1Mb in reality. I would rather them advertise and charge for lower speeds they can deliver than kill the network offering pipe dream speeds that you never actually see. Much like 20Mb appears to be at the moment, I would much rather stay on my stable 10Mb speed.

Our 1Mb stb has always been spot on right enough:)
Once we had to get the stb replaced and a few times it`s been down completely but it`s actual speed has always been on the mark i think....or there abouts:)

I keep my poor lad on the stb so he`s not having stm kicked in on the main connection every night,not when me and another 2 machines my girls use are already sharing the 20Mb (4-13Mb) connection

I only want the full 20Mb so i can accomodate us all so hopefully once i get my new modem i might actually start seeing the 20Mb and i may then reconsider, but in the meantime he`s stayng on that.:juggle:

Gareth
04-08-2007, 15:58
It is competative though really.

Although other providers advertise faster speeds for cheaper you never get them, at least with the 2Mb and 4mb service (on the whole) you generally get what it says on the tin. You can pay for a 8Mb service via ADSL and be lucky to get 1Mb in reality. I would rather them advertise and charge for lower speeds they can deliver than kill the network offering pipe dream speeds that you never actually see. Much like 20Mb appears to be at the moment, I would much rather stay on my stable 10Mb speed.I agree with what you're saying regarding the advertised speed being closer to the actual speed (when it works) than that provided by ADSL providers - hence why I stuck with VM for BB but ditched them for the rest - but I wouldn't go so far as to say that the 2Mb & 4Mb services are competitively priced. In my opinion, none of VM's BB offerings are competitively priced, but the difference is more remarkable at the lower end of the speed spectrum.

dav
04-08-2007, 16:07
Oh gawd! Another 'is the 2mb/4mb being upgraded' thread.

Simple answer, NO!

Rumour is all that's floating about regarding upgrades to the lower tiers, nobody in any official capacity has stated *categorically* that upgrades are planned! So for now upgrade to 20mb or be happy with you current speed!

It certainly wasn't rumour when the retentions guy used the '2Mb to soon be upgraded to 4Mb' line on me.
I consider that to be official as it came from a VM employee giving me reasons why to stay with VM. As it turned out, it tipped the balance and I stayed. Are you saying I was lied to by VM? :shocked:

The next time I'm on the phone to VM, I just call them a liar straight off and save myself any future disappointment:erm:

Web-Junkie
04-08-2007, 22:29
It certainly wasn't rumour when the retentions guy used the '2Mb to soon be upgraded to 4Mb' line on me.
I consider that to be official as it came from a VM employee giving me reasons why to stay with VM. As it turned out, it tipped the balance and I stayed. Are you saying I was lied to by VM? :shocked:

The next time I'm on the phone to VM, I just call them a liar straight off and save myself any future disappointment:erm:

Ask for that confirmation in WRITING next time and get the persons FULL NAME! If they are unwilling to state it in writing and put their name to it then take it with a pinch of salt!

dav
04-08-2007, 22:31
Ask for that confirmation in WRITING next time and get the persons FULL NAME! If they are unwilling to state it in writing and put their name to it then take it with a pinch of salt!

Fair point. Good advice:tu:

I'll still never trust them though.
Customer trust, once betrayed, is difficult to regain.

alferret
04-08-2007, 22:44
I was told by CS that 4mb will be going to 10mb, I was also told that the sky was going to fall http://seekingalpha.com/wp-content/seekingalpha/images/ChickenLittle.jpeg

Guess which one I believe :rolleyes:

Darrenp
05-08-2007, 02:46
I hope not, I'm on 2m/bit and that's what I get 99% of the time.

I don't really want an upgrade if I'm gonna be slowed down.

Web-Junkie
05-08-2007, 12:55
Fair point. Good advice:tu:

I'll still never trust them though.
Customer trust, once betrayed, is difficult to regain.

It's the only way to weed out any untruths that are told customers, if they won't back their comments up in writing then they shouldn't be telling people things that aren't true!

vmtech
05-08-2007, 16:24
well am in tech support and no1s said anything to us about it n we normally get told 1st cause we deal with it no1s said anything about it cause that was the 1st thing i asked when we were told about the 20mb, av had my virgin for about 2weeks and always getting my 20mb connection even when it was telewest i always got my full speed and most the cust complaining about slow speeds are only getting them because they cant take care of there pc

banjo
05-08-2007, 19:02
Well I rang disconnections recently and was told that my 4 meg would be upgraded to 10 meg in the near future, so I have been told a porky ? Oh and because I accepted an "offer" I would have to wait 12 months before I could leave without penalty ! even though I have been with them for approx five and a half years.

thechojin
05-08-2007, 19:06
Well from what I have been told 2 and 4 are staying as they are

Nedkelly
05-08-2007, 21:25
When will this stop and it was even posted on the internal newsletter some time ago .As the others have said there are no plans to upgrade these for the time being .I wish these people would read the news letters :mad:

jcw00
05-08-2007, 21:54
Well I rang disconnections recently and was told that my 4 meg would be upgraded to 10 meg in the near future...

That's correct, but near future could be next year or the following year etc.

slowcoach
05-08-2007, 23:27
That's correct, but near future could be next year or the following year etc.
Or when they see too many people leaving for pastures cheaper.

Trent
05-08-2007, 23:33
Well when I spoke to retentions they confirmed that 4Mb Would be upgraded to 10mb by the end of the summer. If I am now hearing this is not the case I will call retentions and cancel my contract. As the upgade was sold to me under the guise of an upgrade its deemed part of the offer of service. Failure to proivde this within the agreed timescale would consititute repudiation of the contract by Virgin media and would leave them open to litigation, baring any reasonable and exceptional circumstances that have delayed the delivery of the product, which would normally expect some degree of compensation under the sale of Services Legislation.

No i dont have the reps name who confirmed it however not only did I record the call using my work Call recording system but under the Data Protection Act VM are required to hold a electronic copy of the call for 6 years. If the call has been lost or damaged then, speaking from a legal stand point, any litigation proceeding would take my work over virgin media's unless I was making outlandish claims.

If you have been promised that your services will be upgrade by x date and they have not I would encourage you all to contact Retentions and make this case.

Regards

Allen Smith
Trading standards officer & part time Business Law Lecturer

slowcoach
06-08-2007, 00:06
well am in tech support and no1s said anything to us about it n we normally get told 1st cause we deal with it no1s said anything about it cause that was the 1st thing i asked when we were told about the 20mb, av had my virgin for about 2weeks and always getting my 20mb connection even when it was telewest i always got my full speed and most the cust complaining about slow speeds are only getting them because they cant take care of there pc
I don't know how long you have worked there but in the past staff were always the last to know about any changes, even the "Bloke in the Pub" knew months before employees.
As for most of the customers getting slow speeds because they can't take care of their PC's, bearing in mind that most customers didn't have a problem before the upgrade according to the messages on this forum, so all we can deduce is that somehow the upgrade screwed their system settings, or just maybe VM are trying to get a quart out of a pint pot like the other ISP's.

Remember that some people who had a decent 10 Meg connection now cannot even reach the speeds they could before the upgrade. VM have admitted that "a few" customers are having this problem but so far they don't know what's causing it, course "a few" could just be BS and judging from the forum it is more than likely "many".

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:58 ----------

Well when I spoke to retentions they confirmed that 4Mb Would be upgraded to 10mb by the end of the summer. If I am now hearing this is not the case I will call retentions and cancel my contract. As the upgade was sold to me under the guise of an upgrade its deemed part of the offer of service. Failure to proivde this within the agreed timescale would consititute repudiation of the contract by Virgin media and would leave them open to litigation, baring any reasonable and exceptional circumstances that have delayed the delivery of the product, which would normally expect some degree of compensation under the sale of Services Legislation.

No i dont have the reps name who confirmed it however not only did I record the call using my work Call recording system but under the Data Protection Act VM are required to hold a electronic copy of the call for 6 years. If the call has been lost or damaged then, speaking from a legal stand point, any litigation proceeding would take my work over virgin media's unless I was making outlandish claims.

If you have been promised that your services will be upgrade by x date and they have not I would encourage you all to contact Retentions and make this case.

Regards

Allen Smith
The **** has just hit the fan. :dozey:

cookie_365
06-08-2007, 19:15

Regards

Allen Smith

That's interesting. What section of the DPA is that?

what?
06-08-2007, 20:21
just to let u know not all call are recorded by vm and it is also illegal, as im sure u r aware to record a call without telling the person on the other end that u r doing so.
so im guessing that u did take the time to inform the retentions agent u spoke to that u were recording?
and i would also wonder what part of the data protection law this was under

do u have a link to wher ei could find that please?

slowcoach
07-08-2007, 00:34
just to let u know not all call are recorded by vm and it is also illegal, as im sure u r aware to record a call without telling the person on the other end that u r doing so.
so im guessing that u did take the time to inform the retentions agent u spoke to that u were recording?

There is no law regarding recording a telephone conversation without notifying the other party UNLESS you are going to play the recording for a third party to hear, then you need the other persons permission either before the conversation or later before it is played to a third party, a court of law does not come into the term "third party".
Removes wig. ;)

what?
07-08-2007, 02:19
okay, iv done a quick ggogle search and i can see the part about not having to inform them your recording, but cant see anywhere where it says a court isnt classed as a third party

---------- Post added at 02:19 ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 ----------

just having a think about the dpa and having to hold the call for 6 years, is their actually anything to say the call must be recorded at all?
i thought it was up to the company if they wanted to record call or not :erm:

anyway, just thot id add that in as an afterthought

vmtech
07-08-2007, 15:14
emm no we do get told before customers mibby cust services dont get informed straight away but we do, we get internal news letters:), just like a knew the new pc guard is comming out soon thats why a posted it here and a knew the routers were out before it got post here, only reason a never posted that is cause the less custs sign up for it the more chance of got of getting 1:)

checker
07-08-2007, 15:19
okay, iv done a quick ggogle search and i can see the part about not having to inform them your recording, but cant see anywhere where it says a court isnt classed as a third party

---------- Post added at 02:19 ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 ----------

just having a think about the dpa and having to hold the call for 6 years, is their actually anything to say the call must be recorded at all?
i thought it was up to the company if they wanted to record call or not :erm:

anyway, just thot id add that in as an afterthought

The point is that in general recorded phone conversations can not be used as evidence as they are to easy to edit.

mrmistoffelees
07-08-2007, 15:21

Regards

Allen Smith

And of course when you recorded this call you did advise the agent that you were speaking to that you were recording the call (as is legally required) ??

EDIT: Naughty, naughty. Unless of course you were planning to amuse yourself by repeatedly listening to them privately ???

Taken from http://www.telephonerecorder.co.uk/legal/home.htm

Can I record telephone conversations on my home phone?
Yes. The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. Recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication - which can be a phone conversation or an e-mail - are made available to a third party, ie someone who was neither the caller or sender nor the intended recipient of the original communication. For further information search the Home Office Website where RIPA is posted.

Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?
No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording.

vmtech
07-08-2007, 15:26
ok some how a dont believe that you really are a Trading standards officer & part time Business Law Lecturer

and on a side note love the avatar mrmistoffelees

Trent
07-08-2007, 17:00
To all of you well I am sorry you dont believe me but to be honest I don't care. I didn't do 7 years of business law to be questioned on a forum by the people who I am trying to help.
Regarding the notification that call was being recorded... well duh.. sorry but to me with my training in law of course i did. Indeed i had to speak to a supervisor to do it as the advisor refused to have his call recorded.

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

The point is that in general recorded phone conversations can not be used as evidence as they are to easy to edit.

Oh I beg to differ, Call recordings can be submitted as evidence in all cases where the judge feels the evidence contained with in the recording is pertinent to the case. He/ She can at there discretion request to hear the tape in private, and this would normally be the case were consent has not been given to the recording. i.e. your not going to get permission from a drug dealer to record there calls so you can play it back to the judge later on!!!

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

Also I have just spoken to retentions again and been assured by a Operator and a Manager and an Operations Manager that the 4meg package will complete an upgrade to 10mb before fall 2007.

kas42kas42
07-08-2007, 17:10
They must enjoy breaking verbal contacts.
The promise I got was an upgrade to 8Mb in May from 4Mb.

To all of you well I am sorry you dont believe me but to be honest I don't care. I didn't do 7 years of business law to be questioned on a forum by the people who I am trying to help.
Regarding the notification that call was being recorded... well duh.. sorry but to me with my training in law of course i did. Indeed i had to speak to a supervisor to do it as the advisor refused to have his call recorded.

Oh I beg to differ, Call recordings can be submitted as evidence in all cases where the judge feels the evidence contained with in the recording is pertinent to the case. He/ She can at there discretion request to hear the tape in private, and this would normally be the case were consent has not been given to the recording. i.e. your not going to get permission from a drug dealer to record there calls so you can play it back to the judge later on!!!

Also I have just spoken to retentions again and been assured by a Operator and a Manager and an Operations Manager that the 4meg package will complete an upgrade to 10mb before fall 2007.

vmtech
07-08-2007, 17:30
ok we have no plans of upgrading them at the moment a mean dont get me wrong they probly will be but right now they have no plans to do it yet

fizgog
07-08-2007, 17:50
It all depends on who you phone and at what time of day it is and if retensions have hit there targets or not ;) for them to tell you about the upgrades.

mrmistoffelees
07-08-2007, 18:15

And how do you ensure that a call has not been tampered with ?

Think carefully for I know the answer ;)

cookie_365
07-08-2007, 18:39

This is heading off topic, but I'd still like to know which section of the DPA you reckon requires VM to keep recordings of all phone conversations for 6 years.

Hugh
07-08-2007, 19:11
....snip.....

Also I have just spoken to retentions again and been assured by a Operator and a Manager and an Operations Manager that the 4meg package will complete an upgrade to 10mb before fall 2007

"fall 2007" - now there's a phrase not often heard in this country............

I think you may be confusing Call Recordings with Call Detail Records (CDRs) which, under the EU Data Retention Directive (which came into effect July 2007 EUDRD (http://www.edri.org/issues/privacy/dataretention)), have to be kept for one year under the current terms of the directive.

btw, I thought I had had varied jobs, but you beat me
a) 7 years in business law / part time law lecturer
b) Trading Standards Officer
c) Qualified Computer Techie linky (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/33613717-pace-box-problem-page-3.html#post34308590)

Way to go :tu:

vmtech
07-08-2007, 19:21
ok just read that operations managers never go on the phone all the other managers would have to be off or something or really busy

mrmistoffelees
07-08-2007, 19:27
ok just read that operations managers never go on the phone all the other managers would have to be off or something or really busy

Not true, I've spoken to an ops manager twice.

but to add more

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/08/36.jpg

vmtech
07-08-2007, 19:54
i highly doubt that, theres no way my managers manager came on the phone they just dont do that they are to busy all the time

what?
07-08-2007, 21:22
id have to agree

it would have to be very extreme circumstances where an ops manager would come on the phone, maybe you got an agent who put ont he guy next to him to pretend :P

note : im jokin, iv never seen any1 in vm doin this

vmtech
07-08-2007, 21:47
lol a wouldnt put it past some of the daft 1s not in our place but

nicke261192
19-08-2007, 01:00
I would imagne that the services will be made faster in the near future as i have read here that and this is a direct quote of wikipedia "In its fourth quarter results in 2006, Virgin Media announced plans to launch a 50 Mbit/s service in the summer of 2008."

slowcoach
19-08-2007, 01:13
Maybe the quote should read "In its fourth quarter results in 2006, Virgin Media announced plans to advertise a 50 Mbit/s service in the summer of 2008."

nicke261192
19-08-2007, 01:23
Maybe the quote should read "In its fourth quarter results in 2006, Virgin Media announced plans to advertise a 50 Mbit/s service in the summer of 2008."
Nope i copied and pasted it direct from wikipedia at the time of posting

janipewter
19-08-2007, 06:49
I do remember seeing a while ago (possibly 2006?), I think it was on the BBC News business report, some highly ranked VM bloke was talking about launching a 50Mb service in the coming year, no idea what's happening with that one though.

Sirius
19-08-2007, 08:04
I would imagne that the services will be made faster in the near future as i have read here that and this is a direct quote of wikipedia "In its fourth quarter results in 2006, Virgin Media announced plans to launch a 50 Mbit/s service in the summer of 2008."

wikipedia can be edited by anyone ?, I NEVER take wikipedia as gospel

nicke261192
19-08-2007, 13:24
Well someone can just check the press release on the Virgin Media site? I cant find where they are located though

Hugh
19-08-2007, 14:41
Well someone can just check the press release on the Virgin Media site? I cant find where they are located though
Press Office (http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-overview)