PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about moving to another room

Pia
03-08-2007, 22:39
Asking this for my mother....

She's rang VM and has asked them to transfer her BB to another room, its at the back of the house at the minute and she wsnts it moving to the front. She wants to know if they will move it all out of the back room or will it still be active in there and the front one at the same time. She also thinks if she can have connections in both rooms she'll be charged twice, i told her that was rubbish but i'm sure you lot know better.

They offered to send her a router but for some reason she said no :confused: mothers eh ;)

Thanks

Nikesh
03-08-2007, 23:09
I don't think you can have 2 broadband connections from VM.

TheNorm
04-08-2007, 00:43
...She's rang VM and has asked them to transfer her BB to another room...

With a pair of HomePlug devices (e.g. http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm) she can have broadband wherever there is an electric socket.

MovedGoalPosts
04-08-2007, 01:30
You can have the cable modem moved from one room to another. It'll cost though. They may leave the old location wired in so to speak and just add a splitter (junction box) eleswhere so that the modem can phsically be plugged in at the second room. If the customer wanted then you could revert back to the first room.

You wouldn't get a second modem unless you paid for that second account. That would be quite unusual, although with a lot of arm twisting it can be done.

Easiest and most flexible option which leaves the customer in total control is a router to the current modem location. Wired router would leave a trailing ethernet cable issue, but wireless really could be versatile.

Pia
04-08-2007, 02:43
You can have the cable modem moved from one room to another. It'll cost though. They may leave the old location wired in so to speak and just add a splitter (junction box) eleswhere so that the modem can phsically be plugged in at the second room. If the customer wanted then you could revert back to the first room.
Thanks Rob that's exactly what i needed to know :tu:
Apparently they were gonna charge her £75 for it but they're doing it for free for some reason, they did that for me too though they told me it was only gonna be £20.

I did tell her she may aswell have gone wireless but for some reason she won't lol, i think she thinks its more complicated than it is!