PDA

View Full Version : TV Installation - Over 18s required - why?

bw89
03-08-2007, 19:56
The little installation booklet for Virgin came through the post this morning and says that an over-18 needs to be at home at the time - why is this?

Raistlin
03-08-2007, 20:00
Maybe they ask you to sign to say that you're happy with the installation, and this forms part of the agreement for the payment/contract to proceed.

If that's the case you would need to be over 18 for it to be binding.

Or maybe, like me, VM are fed up with dealing with idiot children :)

Pia
03-08-2007, 22:42
Or maybe to prevent any strange accusations from going on if there's only teens in the house alone with an installer.:shrug:

Horace
04-08-2007, 00:32
Maybe it's related to the pin number and access to adult rated content.

MovedGoalPosts
04-08-2007, 01:35
Or maybe to prevent any strange accusations from going on if there's only teens in the house alone with an installer.:shrug:

I'd say that you're close to the mark there. It protects both customer and installer. Indeed a similar policy now seems to be in place for any visits by Virgin Media for faults or whatever.

These days in many walks of life to work with children (not sure of the legal definition of age there), you need to have a CRB check. VM staff won't have had that, so VM are probably playing it cautious but correct to say they won't enter a house without an adult present.

what?
04-08-2007, 04:21
just to confirm what rob said

on ANY tech visit an over 18 is required, and a tech wont enter without there being one present
u also stand to get the £10 charge for no-one being home on tech arrival if a tech does go out to find no adult present, as still classed as wasted booking.

and i would agree exactly on the reason rob has posted for that

Nedkelly
04-08-2007, 06:58
Pia and Rob spot on it is there to protect us and them .If we went in the house and the kids had broke somthing then they could blame us and we would not have a leg to tand on .You will be amazed how many people leave kids at home when they bok a fault .Now its the school Hols and how many cutomers go mad when you tell them you can not go into the house without a adult and they cant get back to the house for you to fix the fault :td:We could be anyone and at the moment we are not police checked but i was told that this is something that they are looking at :tu:

PS1
06-08-2007, 21:29
I'd say that you're close to the mark there. It protects both customer and installer. Indeed a similar policy now seems to be in place for any visits by Virgin Media for faults or whatever.

These days in many walks of life to work with children (not sure of the legal definition of age there), you need to have a CRB check. VM staff won't have had that, so VM are probably playing it cautious but correct to say they won't enter a house without an adult present.

when i worked for ntl,( a few years ago),they insured that crb checks were done on us all.i would of thought that was a national requirement not just a regional one?

nffc
06-08-2007, 22:12
18 is a teen though. Even so, I would suspect it would cost them more to insure if people were just leaving their chavy kids with the installer rather than having an adult there anyway.

Pia
06-08-2007, 22:27
18 is a teen though. Even so, I would suspect it would cost them more to insure if people were just leaving their chavy kids with the installer rather than having an adult there anyway.
18 is an adult.

Anyway, what would you prefer, to be accused of messing with a 13 year old kid (with an overactive imagination) or an 18 year old adult?!
And not all kids are chavvy lol.

Stuart
06-08-2007, 22:47

Maybe it's related to the pin number and access to adult rated content.

I suspect it's both. First, Virgin Media wouldn't want the publicity caused by one of their techs going to an install, then being accused of doing something inapproriate with a minor. If an adult is present he or she should be able to ensure nothing happens.

Also, when they install, they may need to give the pin to someone, and, as the pin gives access to 18 rated (and possibly Restricted 18 rated) content, then they probably aren't allowed to give that pin to a minor.

what?
06-08-2007, 22:58
i would have to think that the main reason for it is to prevent them being accused of those strange accusations
while obv they couldn't give the pin to a minor, on any tech visit, regardless of what it is for, some1 over the age of 18 is required to be there.

i think it's a good idea anyway

just keeps everyhting nice and safe for every1 as even if all the checks are done theres no gaurentee that weirdos cant slip through and gets jobs in trusted positions as we've seen before, so not only does it protect the techs from dodgy accusations it protects the kids as well.

i would hope all companies have a similar policy tbh

nffc
07-08-2007, 00:04
DSG do. No engineer without an over-18.

hmspilky
17-08-2007, 19:54
I used to be an installer for sky and eurobell/NTL and It is for the installers protection against accusations. when sky first brought it in there had to be 2 installers if there was a lone woman also! Not sure that this rule lasted long, but maybe someone could tell me different. The thing is ... most the guys, given half the chance would be at it anyway!!

spiderman2
28-08-2007, 16:36

very true ..thats is the reason behind this process ... :)