PDA

View Full Version : coke the new health choice ?

kronas
02-08-2007, 21:50
coca cola is expanding its healthier range of drinks in the uk with the launch of diet coke plus, the drink which contains 52.5% of the daily recommended limit of vitamins claims to be the choice for a better immune system

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=59490&in_page_id=34

am i the only one who is cautious about a soft drinks manufacturer assisting in a health kick ?

A second version of the drink contains green tea and vitamin C.

:disturbd:

skyblueheroes
02-08-2007, 21:59
coca cola is expanding its healthier range of drinks in the uk with the launch of diet coke plus, the drink which contains 52.5% of the daily recommended limit of vitamins claims to be the choice for a better immune system

am i the only one who is cautious about a soft drinks manufacturer assisting in a health kick ?

They probably realise that there is a trend towards healthy food and drink and they need to keep their market share.

kronas
02-08-2007, 22:01
They probably realise that there is a trend towards healthy food and drink and they need to keep their market share.

thats fine, as long as its not 'purified' tap water ;) and the claims of the pending new products are not twisted a promotional advertising campaign to gain sales.

lauzjp
02-08-2007, 22:25
I'd probably drink it. :) seems a good idea to me - I'd rather pick up a can of coke than a carton of squash or something like that :shrug:

homealone
02-08-2007, 22:59

bearing in mind it is possible to 'overdose' on vitamins, I would agree marketing soft drinks in this way is not acceptable ...

- best wishes to your mum, kronas :tu:

lowhydrogen
03-08-2007, 00:34
I'm more worried about the use of aspartame (http://www.answers.com/topic/aspartame?cat=health) in diet soft drinks these days...

Alien
03-08-2007, 00:51
It's funny, but I'm sure I read somewhere recently that companies had had to stop putting vitamins in soft drinks, as the chemicals they use to do so [especially with vitamin C, IIRC] combine with something else & produce benzyne [known carcinogen] in significant quantities.

Note: I'm not saying vitamin C is bad, just the way they artficially add it to soft drinks.

Graham M
03-08-2007, 07:50
It's funny, but I'm sure I read somewhere recently that companies had had to stop putting vitamins in soft drinks, as the chemicals they use to do so [especially with vitamin C, IIRC] combine with something else & produce benzyne [known carcinogen] in significant quantities.

Note: I'm not saying vitamin C is bad, just the way they artficially add it to soft drinks. Vitamin C is synthesized as Ascorbic Acid - doesn't sound very nice does it!! And who said it is possible to overdose on Vitamins? Well that's partly wrong, fact is that the recommended daily allowance for most vitamins is very low compared to what the body will actually use up if given the chance, ESPECIALLY with Vitamin C! Placebo tests have even shown that it improves Energy Levels, etc for Sporty types, there are a couple of Vitamins you can have too much of, but that escapes my mind at this very moment! Minerals, again you have to be careful with as you can get too many heavy minerals in your blood which CAN cause problems.

homealone
03-08-2007, 08:08
Vitamin C is synthesized as Ascorbic Acid - doesn't sound very nice does it!! And who said it is possible to overdose on Vitamins? Well that's partly wrong, fact is that the recommended daily allowance for most vitamins is very low compared to what the body will actually use up if given the chance, ESPECIALLY with Vitamin C! Placebo tests have even shown that it improves Energy Levels, etc for Sporty types, there are a couple of Vitamins you can have too much of, but that escapes my mind at this very moment! Minerals, again you have to be careful with as you can get too many heavy minerals in your blood which CAN cause problems.

http://chemo.net/newpage35.htm

Graham M
03-08-2007, 08:12
Yeah OK, but that's MANY times the RDA! Im talking maybe like Double-Dosing, perhaps saying its impossible to RDA was the wrong word, I'd only just woken up :p: Fact is, most of the vitamins you'll find in, say, a Multivitamin pill, you should have in your diet. Fact is the food we eat these days isn't as rich in this content so many find the need to supplement!

Nidge
04-08-2007, 19:26

You've only got to look what it does to a 2p when you drop it in a glass of Coke, what's it doing to your insides if it does that to a 2p? There was once an experiment where they dropped a tooth into a glass of Coke, a week later they went back to get the tooth only to find out the Coke had dissolved the tooth, the only bit of the tooth left was a tiny fragment of enamel.

homealone
04-08-2007, 20:07
Yeah OK, but that's MANY times the RDA! Im talking maybe like Double-Dosing, perhaps saying its impossible to RDA was the wrong word, I'd only just woken up :p: Fact is, most of the vitamins you'll find in, say, a Multivitamin pill, you should have in your diet. Fact is the food we eat these days isn't as rich in this content so many find the need to supplement!

I believe sharks liver is very high in vitamins A & D, sufficient that quite a small quantity of liver can be toxic. The same for polar bear liver, apparently :)

- but hey, I'm not suggesting we are going to come across that kind of snack every day, and your point is absolutely correct, in its concept, I was just being pedantic about the 'impossible' ;) :)

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

You've only got to look what it does to a 2p when you drop it in a glass of Coke, what's it doing to your insides if it does that to a 2p? There was once an experiment where they dropped a tooth into a glass of Coke, a week later they went back to get the tooth only to find out the Coke had dissolved the tooth, the only bit of the tooth left was a tiny fragment of enamel.

check the ingredients, it contains phosphoric acid, which will have the effect you'd expect on metal & teeth, but once in the stomach it won't do any harm, as the stomach juices are already much more acidic than coke is :)

Paul
04-08-2007, 20:11
I would think that putting 2p (or a tooth) into a glass of stomach acid might also have some interesting effects, maybe you should worry about that ;)

If we avoided every food/drink that some expect said was bad for us, I suspect we would not be able to eat anything - I eat and drink what I enjoy, and generally ignore so called 'experts'. You only live once, and might (as they say) 'get hit by a bus tomorrow', so why worry yourself to death over food ......

homealone
04-08-2007, 20:12

Note: I'm not saying vitamin C is bad, just the way they artficially add it to soft drinks.

the 'nasty' is sodium benzoate, which is added as a preservative to some soft drinks, the vitamin C is aka ascorbic acid, and it is the acidity that releases benzene from the sodium benzoate. Thus the choice is between shelf life & a 'vitamin enriched' label - crazy world ;)

m8internet
04-08-2007, 21:54
Coke and health drinks...
Last time they tried this was DASANI!

barita_lola
07-08-2007, 05:18
My friend, I think with the new diet coke plus, People are demanding something with a kind of benefit in some ways. & It's really already been happening. If you look at all of the products out there, there really has been more focus on lower calorie offerings and added benefits.