PDA

View Full Version : What's going down with Broadband !

SteveB
01-08-2007, 12:25
Hey, In my area (Southampton) the broadband service has been off and on since yesterday. It's just come back on again and the service status reports that Power Supply failures have been the root cause.

But look at the service page - there are outages all across the country.
http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/summary.do

I'm surprised noone has posted on this yet.

Does anyone have information about the nationwide issues ?

vmtech
01-08-2007, 13:12
yeah its on the status page

Mick Fisher
01-08-2007, 17:49
Perhaps there is nothing going down with the services?

Maybe it's just that the reporting of issues has improved. :)

daveoc
01-08-2007, 19:37
I'm in Southampton and have been fine up until today when at 5pm internet just stopped working.

Just changed to a proxy server and that's got it working again.

I rang 151 thinking there might be a message on there saying there was a broadband problem but all you get is a message telling you to ring the 0906 number.

paul nolan
01-08-2007, 19:51
as with dave.... mine went down, Changed to a manual proxy configuration, and all is fine.

SteveB
01-08-2007, 20:33
What manual proxy do you use ?

PaulH225
01-08-2007, 20:42
I'm in Southampton and have been fine up until today when at 5pm internet just stopped working.

Just changed to a proxy server and that's got it working again.
I'm in SO16 and it's flaky here since around 5 pm too, my girlfriend reliably informs me that "it's been fine all day".. Sometimes sites respond, sometimes they don't, hit refresh and suddenly they do again..

grabbi
01-08-2007, 21:00
Tiffani Buchanan is looking into it at Virgin Medias Newsgroups, as it was reported to them at 8pm.

nuttyjawa
01-08-2007, 22:16
im in southampton and mine isnt working right

tech support are blaming my pc, but i dont see how 3 pcs and a xbox 360 can all to be blame..

Nick1
02-08-2007, 00:46
I'm in Southampton too, and it's not running very well at all. I'm experiencing the same problems as you guys, sometimes the net works, sometimes the webpages fail to load, and it's very annoying.

Hope it can be fixed soon. :)

daveoc
02-08-2007, 06:34
Logged on this morning and it's the same.

Using normal connection gets nothing but when I switch to proxy pretty much everything works.

The mention of Tiffani Buchanan on the Virgin Newsgroups is refering to a message that I posted under virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

Can I suggest that those in Southampton with problems go to there and post messages as I don't think that VM are aware of the problems.

Also, is it possible to change the header of this thread to included 'Southampton' as we might get more replies.

PaulH225
02-08-2007, 06:57
Logged on this morning and it's the same.

Using normal connection gets nothing but when I switch to proxy pretty much everything works.

The mention of Tiffani Buchanan on the Virgin Newsgroups is refering to a message that I posted under virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

Can I suggest that those in Southampton with problems go to there and post messages as I don't think that VM are aware of the problems.
I just tried to refresh my newsgroup list (haven't looked at them for a few weeks and didn't know that we ex-NTL people now had access to newsgroup support) but it's not having any of it, won't even connect to the news server and download a message. I'll try again when I get into the office (if LogMeIn is still working on my home PC that is).

daveoc
02-08-2007, 07:06
I've just looked at the VM status page and there is nothing showing for Southampton problems:-

Think it's going to need a few more people to let them know that we do have a problem.

dave

nuttyjawa
02-08-2007, 07:46
Can I ask how you switch proxy without getting the messages saying that you should switch it back to auto whenever you try to do aynthing?

SteveB
02-08-2007, 07:53
You might be encouraged to know that the Southampton problem was fixed yesterday (according to the status page) and it was a Power Supply. See here http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do?ticket=522975.

Case Closed ?

Having said that, I'm in SO23 and am still having the same problems with intermittant browsing this morning. I can't get to the newsgroup either (or is it just intermittant)

PS. I have the same problem as Nutty - If I use the old NTL proxy servers I get the helpful message. However, online tools http://www.all-nettools.com/pr.htm indicate that NTL/VM have removed the transparent proxy now. Is that perhaps true ?

nuttyjawa
02-08-2007, 07:58
It must be quite a wide issue also as im SO30

browsing can be ok.. ish for me, things like MSN wont work most of the time, nor can I play any games online grr

but a poster above says he is using the proxies so it would be nice how to get past the message that comes up

cheers

progers
02-08-2007, 08:15
Perhaps there is nothing going down with the services?

Maybe it's just that the reporting of issues has improved. :)

A cynical reply just like I was about to add!

personally, I never bothered to look at the status page in the past as there was never any report of problems in my area when I had a problem.
Let's hope the status page will be meaningful in future!

daveoc
02-08-2007, 08:22
I'm using the proxy server.I'm not tech savvy so I've just followed the instructions I was given years ago:

Tools:Internet Options:Connections:LAN Settings:Tick only in 'Use proxy server for your LAN':Advanced:put in proxy address number you want to use and put port as 8080

dave

nuttyjawa
02-08-2007, 08:27
Can I ask which one you use??

when i try i get told your not allowed to use proxies by a virgin media webpage

Paul K
02-08-2007, 08:32
There are a number of outages on the VM network at the moment, using a proxy may not help at all.

Zanny
02-08-2007, 08:58
Been messed up all evening and still messed up, was gonna try open dns to see if changing the dns server would work but open dns is only randomly loading itself lol.

And half the net is plain broke.

btw also in southampton s018

Edit:- managed to get onto open dns copied the settings and the net seems to be working again :)

208.67.220.220 are the addresses to use if anyone needs em.EDIT EDIT :- Still not working properly :( but a few more sites are working for me that didnt work before.

nuttyjawa
02-08-2007, 09:31
thanks for the DNS's but they havent really done anything to fix it , at least on my end anyways :(

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do?ticket=523665

acknowledgment!

PaulH225
02-08-2007, 09:42
Looks like they've fixed it (touch wood!).

Everything kicked back in for me about 10 mins ago while I was trying to refresh newsgroups.. Wouldn't work 3 or 4 times, tried again and bam 20k+ newsgroups appeared in my list in about 10 seconds.. :)

Paul

nuttyjawa
02-08-2007, 09:50
touch wood also but yes its working!

daveoc
02-08-2007, 14:26
Same here, now seems to be working ok.

The response from VM in the newsgroup I mentioned said there were no other reports of problems in southampton.