PDA

View Full Version : Throttling

mike86
01-08-2007, 02:52
It's my understanding that any throttling applied as a consequence of you going over your bandwidth limit (350MB in my case) should be lifted at midnight. Today is our first day on Virgin Media and I'm not impressed. Browsing feels laggy compared to our old ADSL connection, upload speeds are very poor, and now the throttling has not been lifted. What's going on?

Mick Fisher
01-08-2007, 03:52
If you go over your limit between 4 to midnight you will be shaped for 4 hours from the time you broke the limit. For example, if you broke the limit at 11.55pm you will be shaped until 3.55am.:td:
It's rediculous I know. I also feel that 350MB is a rediculously low limit.
It's a good job you have another 29 days to cancel without penalty. :)

Slugworld
01-08-2007, 10:31
I'm disgusted with VM.

My internet connection speeds have dropped to a pathetic 30kb on torrents.

I'm on a 2 meg connection.

I'll be phoning them up to either cancel my service or request another reduction in my bill.

Now I hear VM may be being sold off, talk about poor management!

Spitfire12
01-08-2007, 10:43
I'm disgusted with VM.

My internet connection speeds have dropped to a pathetic 30kb on torrents.

I'm on a 2 meg connection.

I'll be phoning them up to either cancel my service or request another reduction in my bill.

Now I hear VM may be being sold off, talk about poor management!

Torrents reply on Seeds and peers.....

what?
01-08-2007, 14:00
i wouldnt cancel ur account with us based on the speeds u r getting on a torrent

check ur speeds by downloading 2 files at the same time from

gamefiles.virginmedia.com

if u get combined speed of between 200 and 256kbps ur speeds r fine and vm cant be blamed
if below this, do spyware check on ur machine
check the service status line
remove any connected routers
check the status page

check again

if its still the same call tech support

if it's a fault with the vm service u will be refunded for ur call

and Mike, as stated correctly by Mick, it does depend when u go over ur limit, it will go thro the full 4 hours limited whether u go over at 4pm or 11:59

vmtech
01-08-2007, 14:15
yeah all depends on the torrent a can get a full 2mbs on sum and only 20kps on others

xspeedyx
03-08-2007, 12:25
I rarely max my connection on torrent due to it what speed u r given from seeds and peers

LaineY
03-08-2007, 14:55
Torrents are Out.. Newsgroups are the IN THING 2431KBPS on my 20 meg...
i downloaded a torrent the other nite and got 132kbps.. and one @ 20kbps
i mean come on.. if u dnt wanna pay for a news group.. then yeh .. torrents are good.. but theres no need to phone us and moan about your slow speeds..

gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk and download away.. if u reach ur speed ur paying for .. no complaints..

what?
03-08-2007, 15:01
yep, this has been discussed on multiple threads, and as has been said on multiple threads by myelf and others, gamefiles is the place to test ur speed

it's reliable (unlike speed tests)
its virgins servers (the only servers we can gaurentee givin u ur speed)

it would b great if torrents could give u ur speeds but never gona happen so as long a gamefiles gives u ur speed ur getting it. really think this has already been discussed so much that topic should be closed.

it seems never ending, and it seems like people will never believe hw unreliable torrents are and how unreliable speed tests can be.

vmtech
03-08-2007, 15:02
torrents rule(if its got plenty of seeds)