PDA

View Full Version : Speed

Gordon12
31-07-2007, 13:47
I'm been a broadband customer of NTL/Virgin for several years. I'm on the their 2MB package & my speed history shows a result of 1797 back in December but now I'm only getting between 800 and 1300. Incidentally my IP no. has changed since December, I assume this was something done by Virgin.

I'm using the NTL cable modem, linked to a Dell wireless router.

Before I spend money phoning Virgin, can anyone suggest what I might do to get the speed back to what it should be?

Regards,

Gordon12.

Digi Tel
31-07-2007, 13:50
The first thing I would do is a speed test with the cable modem linked directly to your PC. i.e. eliminate the router and take it from there.

what?
31-07-2007, 13:55
remove the router, reboot

dl two files at the sametime from

gamefiles.virginmedia.com

check speeds, should be between 200 and 256
if its less do a quick check for spyware

after that check the status line for area issue

then call tech support

thp
31-07-2007, 17:17
Welcome to the agro of being with Virgin! I have been with NTL/Virgin for more years than I would care to admit. Although their customer service can be very infuriating, I was very happy with my Broadband connection until, coincidently, mid Feb 2007, when NTL was rebranded to Virgin. Since then, there have been major issues with my download speed that took three months of many phone calls before i finally got an admission from their Technical Call Centre. I was previously on 2mb then was upgraded to the 4mb service. Without fail, i was getting very good download and upload speeds of approx 3850Kb/sec, irrespective of where the servers were located when i carried out the tests. I used to use Dan Elwells Speedtest. Since mid Feb 2007, download speeds were significantly down on what they used to be abd some times by as much as 80%. After many months of hassle, Virgin finally admitted, they had introduced a Traffic Management policy. This includes, reducing the speed of all 4mb and 10/20mb, to the speeds comparable to the 2mb connection. Their reason; they felt that 4mb and 10/20mb users would impact the service offered to the lower bands i.e. 2mb, and that, in their opinion, it wasn't very fair on the 2 mb users!! The fact that 4mb and 10/20mb users are paying for the privilage, does not seem to matter to them. The traffic management policy is meant to kick in automatically at certain times of the day. Their support people gave me two different versions; from 2pm to 10pm and from 5pm to midnight. I am currently doing some analysis to see when the Traffic Management actually takes effect, therefore, can't say definitely which time zone it is. During either of these periods, download speeds will be significantly reduced for the 4mb and 10/mb users. In fact, I have even noticed that downloads from east coast usa servers are much slower that downloads from uk servers. Currently, my connection ranges from on average, 17.5Mb/sec, right down to as slow as 1.5Mb/sec (i am currently on 20Mb). Basically, Virgin's network can't cope with the demand and their Traffic management Policy and my own tests, confirm this fact. Since I went through hell to try and get a straight answer from Virgin and complained I was unhappy with my speeds, they gave me a free upgrade to the 10/20mb service until November this year. Nearer that date, I will start monitoring my download speeds throughout the day, every day, to gain some data and proof, that i can take back to Virgin as collateral for extending my free upgrade period. If i were you, i would do exactly the same. To do this, it is best to use the two Speed Test Download Files, their technical helpdesk told me to use when trying to confirm what the download speeds were. It is very difficult for them to argue their way out of this. The two files are http://f1test.notlong.com/ (UK) and http://micro23.notlong.com/ (USA). The point of all of the above is; many Broadband suppliers, such as, Sky and Talktalk are making the same claims as Virgin. From what i hear, none of them can seem to deliver on their marketing hype, therefore, there may be a case for "better the devil you know"!! At least by proving to Virgin, your connection sucks, there is a good chance you may get a partial refund or a free upgrade to the next service. Good luck.

goldoni
31-07-2007, 17:50
Good one thp a green one on the way. :)

Gordon12
31-07-2007, 18:45
thp and others, thanks for your replies. Digi tel - I did try linking the modem direct to my computer but it couldn't seem to link to the internet - maybe there was something else I had to do?

Thp - I'm going to try downloading those two files you mention - what do I do then? Carry out a speed test? I usually use DSL ZoneUK or is there a better one?

Grateful thanks.

Gordon.

sprattgraham
31-07-2007, 19:05
When your downloading the file see what speed it's doing it at.

You don't need to run a speed test

goldoni
31-07-2007, 19:20
thp and others, thanks for your replies. Digi tel - I did try linking the modem direct to my computer but it couldn't seem to link to the internet - maybe there was something else I had to do?

Thp - I'm going to try downloading those two files you mention - what do I do then? Carry out a speed test? I usually use DSL ZoneUK or is there a better one?

Grateful thanks.

Gordon.

If I want to connect my computer directly to the modem I pull the power cord and do a slow count to 10 I then connect the rj45 cable then the power cord. If this still does not work I re-start windows which always gets me a connection to the outside world.

Hope this helps. :)

Gordon12
31-07-2007, 22:30
Thanks again for further replies.

Goldini - I'll try your suggestion for connecting the modem to the computer. I assume an rj45 cable is like the ethernet one I have.

Sprattgraham - how do I see the speed at which the file is being downloaded?

Thanks,

Gordon.

sprattgraham
31-07-2007, 23:16
When your download using IE, the download window lists the Transfer Rate

what?
01-08-2007, 08:56
[QUOTE=thp;34363131]they had introduced a Traffic Management policy. This includes, reducing the speed of all 4mb and 10/20mb, to the speeds comparable to the 2mb connection. Their reason; they felt that 4mb and 10/20mb users would impact the service offered to the lower bands i.e. 2mb, and that, in their opinion, it wasn't very fair on the 2 mb users!! The fact that 4mb and 10/20mb users are paying for the privilage, does not seem to matter to them. The traffic management policy is meant to kick in automatically at certain times of the day. Their support people gave me two different versions; from 2pm to 10pm and from 5pm to midnight. I am currently doing some analysis to see when the Traffic Management actually takes effect, therefore, can't say definitely which time zone it is. During either of these periods, download speeds will be significantly reduced for the 4mb and 10/mb users. [QUOTE]

the traffic management affect every1, even 2mb user
if u go over the specified dl limit for ur speed between 4 and 12 u will be limited for a four hour period. 2mb user to 1mb, 4mb to 2mb and 10/20mb to 5mb
if it was only the traffic management that they're saying is affecting you i'm surprised they gave you the free upgrade, coz it isnt technically a fault.
it's also not something that i was aware vm were trying to keep under wraps since
it is on their website about it, and the tech support teams have always been asked to give out full info if a cus enquires about it.
if you would have been on here a few days ago before the old forum went down u would have seen numerous threads about it as well.

Mr Black
01-08-2007, 12:07
I just downloaded the two files that thp said to try. The USA one was downloading at 243KB/Sec and the UK one at 1.43MB/Sec. I'm on 20MB. Virgin sent me a new modem and I still only get 10 - 11MB according to speedtest.net.

sprattgraham
01-08-2007, 12:16
I just downloaded the two files that thp said to try. The USA one was downloading at 243KB/Sec and the UK one at 1.43MB/Sec. I'm on 20MB. Virgin sent me a new modem and I still only get 10 - 11MB according to speedtest.net.

Try this: http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

Try and download this file: http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/games/cellfactorrevolution_install.exe

vmtech
01-08-2007, 13:07
if your getting those speed thats above 10mb so your getting your 20mb sevice

mrmistoffelees
01-08-2007, 13:11
if your getting those speed thats above 10mb so your getting your 20mb sevice

combined file speeds of 1.7mb is 20mb service ????? It's about 16mb NOT 20mb !!

what?
01-08-2007, 13:13
im guessing what vmtech means is that u have def been upgraded to the 20mb, tho clearly not getting full speeds

the speed test site def has the connection speed wrong, because ur downloading from the gamefiles site at about 14/15mb tho clearly not as high as it should be.
is the router complately removed yeah?

might be worth doing a quick spyware check on ur system if uv not done one
also possible worth trying a tcp/ip optimiser

doing the test from gamefiles again and checking to see if theres any improvement.

Mr Black
01-08-2007, 15:44

Try and download this file: http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/games/cellfactorrevolution_install.exe

Tried both of the above and it has made a big difference! :Yikes:
I tried downloading those files again and I got 350KB/Sec on the USA one and 1.85 MB/Sec on the UK one. Even Speedtest.net showed that I was getting 18meg. Thats a big improvement on what i was getting earlier.

Thanks for all of the advice.

MrB

MK1
01-08-2007, 21:22

I've decided to try this and i'm up to the part where i've changed the value to 100mbps/full duplex and gone back to the desktop.But then it says click on start and select Connect To.That's where i'm stuck because it doesn't say Connect To anywhere.Can anyone help?

moaningmags
09-08-2007, 23:28
you dont have to click on Connect to
just open internet explorer.

hokkers999
09-08-2007, 23:37
Tried both of the above and it has made a big difference! :Yikes:
I tried downloading those files again and I got ***KB/Sec on the USA one and 1.85 MB/Sec on the UK one. Even Speedtest.net showed that I was getting 18meg. Thats a big improvement on what i was getting earlier.

Thanks for all of the advice.

MrB

Yes, funny that isn't it. NOT. From those sites you are downloading from inside the vm network (think from the room next door on the same bit of wire) as opposed to the real world (ie outside your house).

Testing d/l speeds from a virgin server is a pointless exercise as it doesn't reflect reality.

what?
09-08-2007, 23:43
we cna only gaurentee speeds from our network

and we do advise to try microsoft.com
another server that we know allows full download speed to be gained

we have to use reliable servers that we know can maintain the speed a customer is on
and we know our server, and the microsoft server is capable

vm, nor any other isp, can determine what all servers will allow you to download at