PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish PS3 Q1 Sales, Not Shipments

Gareth
29-07-2007, 16:50
source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48157

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. parent company Sony Corp. announced its first quarter fiscal year 2007 results today, detailing less-than-expected sales of PlayStation 3 consoles at 710,000 units sold worldwide. The disclosure of actual unit sales to retailers and other outlets rather than production shipments marks a policy change for SCEI.

Only 710,000 units sold...? Wow, that's very surprising. It makes Nintendo's sales figures - and even Microsoft's sales figures too - look even better than we all thought.

Stuart
29-07-2007, 17:34
IF Sony have the resources available to wait it out, I think the PS3 will probably take off. However, that's a big if. For the last few years, they have had disappointing sales on virtually everything apart from the PS2, so they may not be able to afford to wait.

gooner4life
29-07-2007, 18:00
It's sold quicker than the PS2 did at launch, it's suffering from the same lack of games at the moment.

Once the big football games come out (PES & Fifa here and Madden stateside), here and stateside things will pick up, and once Final Fantasy comes out in Japan they will start flying off the shelves out there.

Damien
29-07-2007, 18:04
It will get better but can i add that all the 3 consoles have sold better than the PS2 at launch, its a very silly thing to compare it too. The console market has grown a lot since the PS2 launch (in a large part down to the success of the PS2) so it would be expected to sell more and indeed it was let it failed to meet some of those expections.

The price cut will and seems to be having a effect on sales but it looks like the PS3 will not overtake the 360 or the Wii. But, imo, It will still make a profit and get games

gooner4life
29-07-2007, 18:36
It will overtake both the 360 and the Wii within the next 2 years, as an owner of all 3 consoles i'm quite confident in saying that.

Stuart
29-07-2007, 18:41
It will overtake both the 360 and the Wii within the next 2 years, as an owner of all 3 consoles i'm quite confident in saying that.

The 360, maybe. The Wii, almost certainly not.

gooner4life
29-07-2007, 18:55
The Wii is very gimmicky and will be very dated within a year.

The 360 will outsell the Wii first and then the PS3 will overtake both im sure.

Wait for Pro Evo and Metal Gear to hit.

Damien
29-07-2007, 19:41
There is nothing to suggest it will ovetake either, Pro Evo is not the big seller you think it is in terms of consoles sales and is cross-platform anyway. Metal Gear will boost sales but the 360 also has a lot of exclusives including Halo.

The Wii thing we can never say for sure but it is not gimmicky, it hands 'serious' games very well such as Zelda and Resident Evil. Mario Kart, Mario, and Metroid are all still due to hit and will boost sales even more. People were saying the same about the DS before it came out and then said the same when it started doing well "Its a gimmick, it will pass". It never did. People were saying the same about the Wii, just how long as we meant to wait for this so-called crash? Its about to become the No 1 console.

Stuart
29-07-2007, 21:03
The Wii is very gimmicky and will be very dated within a year.

The 360 will outsell the Wii first and then the PS3 will overtake both im sure.
The Wii is very dated now. It doesn't appear to be hurting sales. Remember, the market Nintendo is aiming for just cares that their games are addictive and enjoyable. They don't care about state of the art hardware.

Also, remember that 20 years ago, VHS beat the technically superior Betamax (co-incidentally a Sony product) purely due to the ready availability of low-cost hardware and wide range of software (tapes) available for it.

Wait for Pro Evo and Metal Gear to hit.

Assuming they are exclusive to PS3.

icestar2
30-07-2007, 00:01
I dont think its so bad TBH.

I think there up2 4.5million sold now which again aint to bad. Also from what I've been reading sale's are on the up so things are starting to look up. Also although sony dont have the Exclusive for the next GTA they have said they have the exclusive for the next Rockstar/Take two big game which sounds promising.

Another thing looking good for sony is that the next gene dvd war seems to be slightly tipping there way. Am not saying its decided because its far from it yet with most people still buying dvd's but its looking up.

Stuart
30-07-2007, 00:28
Another thing looking good for sony is that the next gene dvd war seems to be slightly tipping there way. Am not saying its decided because its far from it yet with most people still buying dvd's but its looking up.

Assuming next gen DVD takes off. Next gen CD (DVD Audio and SACD) didn't, which was largely caused by the confusion caused by multiple incompatible formats being available. See any similarity to the next gen DVD war yet?

icestar2
30-07-2007, 03:00
Assuming next gen DVD takes off. Next gen CD (DVD Audio and SACD) didn't, which was largely caused by the confusion caused by multiple incompatible formats being available. See any similarity to the next gen DVD war yet?

Good point :)

I was just pointing out some things that COULD work in sonys favour thats all.