PDA

View Full Version : Cheap flights - flummoxed

Shaun
28-07-2007, 00:39
I've been looking for the past two hours for a cheap flight to Gran Canaria, some time, ANY time, in August.

I'm not fussy when we go - we're flexible with dates and length of stay (ideally a week) but can I find a reasonable flight?

I don't mind flying from:
East Midlands
Coventry
Birmingham
Luton
or at a push - Manchester

I've found several hotels to stay in that look great, but getting there is a real pain.

Is Gran Canaria the exception to cheap flights in Europe? Am I missing something?

Angua
28-07-2007, 00:46
You may laugh but try Teletext :D

Otherwise nearest I could get is one week departing 24/08 Birmingham arriving back to Manchester £200 pp
XL Airways (http://www.xl.com/flight_select.asp)

lauzjp
28-07-2007, 01:04
kayak is the best price comparison site I've used, have you tried there?

bopdude
28-07-2007, 08:45
You may laugh but try Teletext :D

I would second that, always found my hols on there, another thing to help us out, what sort of money do you want to spend ? Is it flight only or would a package do ?

Shaun
28-07-2007, 11:48
kayak is the best price comparison site I've used, have you tried there?

£287 each is the cheapest I could find on there. I'd be cheaper to buy an allocation on arrival holiday and ditch the tour operator when we got there and go to the hotel we like :erm::(

Good site though :tu:

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

I would second that, always found my hols on there, another thing to help us out, what sort of money do you want to spend ? Is it flight only or would a package do ?

Flight only - I've found accomodation. :)

Julian
28-07-2007, 12:15
Shaun, Thomas Cook do cheapish flights Try Here (http://book.flythomascook.com/skylights/cgi-bin/skylights.cgi) :)

Best price EMA - Las Palmas £214.98 Return inc tax.

Out 04/08/07 back 12/08/07.

Shaun
28-07-2007, 13:16
Shaun, Thomas Cook do cheapish flights Try Here (http://book.flythomascook.com/skylights/cgi-bin/skylights.cgi) :)

Best price EMA - Las Palmas £214.98 Return inc tax.

Out 04/08/07 back 12/08/07.

I was hoping for something sub £200 for the flights?:disturbd::(

kjacko
28-07-2007, 13:49
shaun its school holiday time (6 weeks holidays) flights this time of year are always a lil more expensive

bopdude
28-07-2007, 19:00
shaun its school holiday time (6 weeks holidays) flights this time of year are always a lil more expensive

Very true, I'd forgotten about that :dunce: :D

Hom3r
28-07-2007, 19:15
have you tried the budget airlines?

sometimes its cheaper to buy one way tickets to and from your destination

Cobbydaler
28-07-2007, 19:30

A little??? School holidays = rip off time... :mad:

alferret
29-07-2007, 20:03
We always use www.skyscanner.net where possible.

Just found

Mon 27 Aug from east mids (thompsonfly TOM 6541) & RTN Mon 3 Sept (flythomascook TCX 956) £198.69 all in

Arthurgray50@blu
29-07-2007, 21:14
What ever you do DON'T fly by Ryan Air, go easy jet or British Midland, good luck.

Shaun
30-07-2007, 12:45
We always use www.skyscanner.net where possible.

Just found

Mon 27 Aug from east mids (thompsonfly TOM 6541) & RTN Mon 3 Sept (flythomascook TCX 956) £198.69 all in

:tu:

Decent price - god down to £150 each return with BA via a co-op travel company but now I can't get back through to them as there seems to be a fault their end!:disturbd:

Have put it to the back burner for now. I'll just keep trying and see what comes up.

Cheers for trying though guys. :)

TraxData
30-07-2007, 14:40
What ever you do DON'T fly by Ryan Air, go easy jet or British Midland, good luck.

Why? i've flown with ryan air (only to france and back, but still) without any problems???

lauzjp
30-07-2007, 15:05
Why? i've flown with ryan air (only to france and back, but still) without any problems???

I've read so many horror stories about ryanair, particularly about their customer service - but we're off to dublin in november, so it was just super convenient to fly from Luton - I didn't get much say! I'd rather have got the coach and ferry, but I think it actually worked out cheaper to get the flights. bah! :p:

Halcyon
31-07-2007, 15:49

Ryan Air will never win awards for perfect customer service and giving the customer everything they want, but they will get you to your destination pretty quickly and very cheaply.
As with all airlines, don't leave it to the last minute as prices just keep on going up and up.
With budget airlines try to book atleast a month or more in advance.
Never buy inflight food on ryan air as you'l get ripped off. Just take your own food with you.
Also, be careful as their website automatically adds insurance, so untick that and you will save a few pounds.
You will also get charged if you go over the stated weight so make sure you weigh your luggage. For most people you should be fine though.
Each passenger is charged for their main hold luggage per bag and if you don't take hold luggage you have to select priority boarding.....so basically it costs you anyway which is pretty sneaky work from them.

For a short flight, they are fine.

altis
31-07-2007, 16:33
Another way to look for cheap flights is to check out the website of the destination airport. This will usually list all the operators and, if you're lucky, there will be links to their websites too. Alternatively, look at their timetable of flights.

If you're willing to book at least one night in a hotel and transfers to/from the airport then this counts as a 'package'. In this case try a travel agent. They will have access to cheaper flights and you will have ATOL/ABTA protection. We've often found this cheaper than the best flights-only deal we could get.

If you book with one of the cheap airlines then remember to check if 'taxes' are included. Also check the deal with baggage. This seems to change often. Last time I looked, Jet2 were charging per bag and you're not allowed to share weight allowance.

Shaun
31-07-2007, 21:56
:tu:

Decent price - god down to £150 each return with BA via a co-op travel company but now I can't get back through to them as there seems to be a fault their end!:disturbd:

Have put it to the back burner for now. I'll just keep trying and see what comes up.

Cheers for trying though guys. :)

Well in the end I got a flight with BA (end of August) through Instant Holidays (belongs to the Co-op group of agents) 08000 501 803.

Paid £165 with taxes. Food and drink included, my only grumble (and it's not that bad) is that it's from Gatwick. Saying that a quick change at Luton will get is there in just over 2 hours by train. We've done worse (9 hours to Glasgow via, Leeds, Newcastle, Carlisle + Edinburgh!!)

The Hotel we booked has included taxi transfers for 52euro which I think it very reasonable - so looks like we're all set.

After talking to the lady at the agents it sounds like flights into Gran Canaria are few and far between thin month for some reason - even more so than normal!:erm:

Aragorn
01-08-2007, 10:27
Hope you like it hot (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6923931.stm) & and aren't going to admire the local fauna.

Shaun
01-08-2007, 11:22
Hope you like it hot (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6923931.stm) & and aren't going to admire the local fauna.

Story of my life - wen't to Seattle last year and they had the same. We went inland for a few days and could see the smoke on the horrozon. :(

Peil
01-08-2007, 12:12
A possible reason for the lack of flights is that one of he small tour operators up here in Scotland had some problems with their aircraft operator - apparently the single plane they had was grounded and left a few hundred people stranded in Gran Canaria, so they have had to bump their remaining passengers onto other flights