PDA

View Full Version : Correlation with heat (green boxes!)

Monserrat
25-07-2007, 12:32
You know those dark green boxes that stand on the pavements? I believe that they were installed by Cable & Wireless all those years ago and currently run the NTL network (now Virgin).

Now, I've had problems year after year but it only happens in the summer time. When the temperature goes warm (let's say 23ºC and over), the NTL modem loses sync. This has happened at two addreses and with two NTL modems, so I know it's not an issue with the modem or the house that I've lived in. Therefore I think that it must be the green boxes outside! The colour of the paint is dark which conducts more heat to the boards inside. Does anyone else experience this problem?

I know that this year hasn't been very hot because of the rain, but on 3 days when the temp exceeded 23C, I had loss of sync for about an hour. Last year... don't even talk about it!!

on in an hour!
25-07-2007, 13:41
You know those dark green boxes that stand on the pavements? I believe that they were installed by Cable & Wireless all those years ago and currently run the NTL network (now Virgin).

Now, I've had problems year after year but it only happens in the summer time. When the temperature goes warm (let's say 23ºC and over), the NTL modem loses sync. This has happened at two addreses and with two NTL modems, so I know it's not an issue with the modem or the house that I've lived in. Therefore I think that it must be the green boxes outside! The colour of the paint is dark which conducts more heat to the boards inside. Does anyone else experience this problem?

I know that this year hasn't been very hot because of the rain, but on 3 days when the temp exceeded 23C, I had loss of sync for about an hour. Last year... don't even talk about it!!
there are no boards inside only an amplifier that (should) deliver a constant rf signal to the 'toner taps' yours (and others) cables are connected too.unfortunately they do suffer (not all of them) when exposed to constant heat when in exposed areas.best thing you can do is when the engineer visits ask him to put you on the top tap,he may then need to pad down to acheive desired signal levels at the modem,beauty of this is,when the rf drops off the cab because of the heat you can simply unscrew the pad and youve upped your signal level simply until the severe weather abates.;)