PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media and wireless routers

T1berious
25-07-2007, 09:53
Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance as I'm a complete Cable modem newbie and have been pushed into the world of cable modems against my will.

basically my Mum used to have ADSL via BT and switched over to Virgin Media. Great I hear you all cry, well kind of, I put in a swanky Wireless ADSL router to share the broadband which has now been replaced by a dedicated cable modem.

Anyway I managed to get it up and running last night, but am at a loss to how I can share the connection using a wireless ADSL router.

Has anyone got a similar setup? Do VM take the Mac address of the modem or the PC connected to it? Or would I be better off just getting a wireless router to share the connection and saving the ADSL one till another time?

Yours confused

T1b

awibble
25-07-2007, 09:56
you will need a different wireless router to share it how you want to.

If you want, you can connect it to the PC using USB, connect the PC to the router and enable internet connection sharing, but its not the ideal solution.

superbiatch
25-07-2007, 09:59
So you do not receive internet down the BT phone line now? You've got me confused :p:

As far as I know, you need a wireless router for cable, an ADSL router won't work. If you do a search on this forum, members have recommended wireless routers for use with cable modems.

Rik
25-07-2007, 10:21
http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=cable+dsl+gateway&meta=

T1berious
25-07-2007, 11:32
Hi,

Looks like a cable router to share it. thank you for the prompt replies. Many thanks

T1b