PDA

View Full Version : uTorrent issue

The1ine
24-07-2007, 18:27
Hey folks, just signed up because I'm so frustrated with what's happening here, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We have 2 PC's sharing a 2Mb Virgin Media cable broadband connection via a wireless router. Lets call them PC1 and PC2. Each of the PC's get the full 2MB when doing an internet speed test. The problem seems to lie with uTorrent (a bittorrent download client) kinda blocking, or dramatically reducing the bandwidth.

Whenever PC1 has uTorrent active (even if it is only downloading one file... very slowly... at say 3KBps) PC2's connection suffers drastically. Servers that would ping at less than 100ms when speed-tested max out at 999ms and download speed gets reduced to about 300KBps from 2000.

This happens until uTorrent is disabled on PC1 then everything is fine. This happens even though the uTorrent is capped to only use up, at most, half the up+download. It still manages to pretty much destroy my connection. Also, this appears to happen no matter which torrent client is used, uTorrent just happens to be the one we have just now.

For the time being I can disable the uTorrent on PC1 whenever I want to use the net on PC2, however it's just a short term solution. We both need to be able to use our internet freely and I'd rather not have to get a BT line just so I can have a seperate ADSL connection.

MrJDGaF
24-07-2007, 18:44
Have you used Windows Task Manager or any connection monitor on PC1 to check it is only using half the available upload bandwidth?
If it is you may need to reduce the maximum connections setting to half it's current value. Hope that helps.

countbathory
24-07-2007, 18:46
Try reducing the upload speed on Utorrent to around 10 - 15k, ive noticed even on my 20mb that during the hours when traffic shapping kicks in that my connection basicaly dies if i was running Utorrent, i reduced the upload an it seems to have helped.

Rik
24-07-2007, 18:54
Try NNTP (Newsgroups) ;)

Failing that adjust upload to 20k as someone else suggested, works for me.

cimt
24-07-2007, 19:19
Erm, on uTorrent have you tried double clicking the thing downloading and changing the upload limit to 1?

Rik
24-07-2007, 19:27
Erm, on uTorrent have you tried double clicking the thing downloading and changing the upload limit to 1?

That will do wonders for their ratio! :D

mmm
24-07-2007, 20:13
What Router? A number have problems the No of simultaneous connection - NAT tables filling up.

punky
24-07-2007, 22:05
With Bittorrent even if you aren't downloading or uploading, it still saturates your connection with broadcast packets with its peers. This is peer-to-peer sharing, and inherent in its design. You can try limiting the number of connections (not speed) and see if that helps. It will affect your BT downloading though.

Some routers, notably the Linksys WRTs on the default firmware get congested with the sheer weight of P2P broadcasting. You can try custom firmwares (at your own risk, you can brick the router) or another router.

jona_b
24-07-2007, 23:04
i ahve same problem but i fixed mine i downladoed lvllord patcher
from www.lvllord.de it open max concurrunet conection or something to 50 works like a charm for me

nordic
25-07-2007, 21:18
On some routers ( Like mine) you have to enable specific ports in the router set up to allows programs full access to the ports used by torrent (peer to peer) programs.

amateurfool
26-07-2007, 09:16
Another thing to bear in mind with torrents is if your upload bandwidth is maxed, this will have a detrimental effect on your download bandwidth.
Try limiting upload to 1/3-1/2 of your available upstream bandwidth.