PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Cable Internet Has Been Down Since The Flooding On Friday!

ama0330
24-07-2007, 12:29
Hey all,

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else... I am in SW17 in London and my found that my cable internet had died when I got home from work. Well its now Tuesday and its still down. Ive called the support line, and they say that due to adverse weather conditions blah blah blah... I've called the pay line as well and got diverted to india which is obviously useless. It looks as if their entire BBI network has gone down? What on earth is going on here? Can a VM employee fill us in? I think that going this long without Internet is totally unacceptable given that the best excuse they can offer is "the weather" - cable internet isn't waterproof all of a sudden?

Really want to know what is going on here and how long it is likely to take to fix it.

Sorry if there is a thread about this already, if there is can someone please link me to it. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks

xpod
24-07-2007, 12:40
It`s certainly working over here in SE London (well,at 7Mb for now)but we did``nt have the flooding nightmares you`se guys have.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

welwynrose
24-07-2007, 12:41
have you checked VM status page

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/check/?category=portal&app=status

ama0330
24-07-2007, 12:58
I've checked the status page and there are reports of outages everywhere. In addition, the little circles that indicate green and red, are both red (broadband, and web) which says to me that it is a widespread problem - but for some reason I can't find anything about it on any of the forums?? And its working in SE London? I dont get it.... Its been down for five days!!

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7049/vmob5.jpg

This list continues the whole way down the page and note the red circles at the top... surely with all these outages others must be affected?!?!?

Steviec9
24-07-2007, 16:02
Same here in New Malden. Numerous tickets for my area now on the status page - last update was due ten hours ago but it would appear that 'engineers are still investigating the issue'.... since Friday. I do understand the inclement weather was a problem and expected some kind of outage but it has been bone dry here since Saturday..... VM outages in this area are ever more frequent and their support is woeful.

vmtech
24-07-2007, 16:33
wit u expect if our ubr gets flooded and goes offline how are we supposed to get it back on line over night its done asap, would you like it if we jst clean the place and turn it back on then its breaks more cause it wasnt done properly then u lot are off for even longer than u would have been!!

ama0330
24-07-2007, 16:45
uh dude, i live in suburban london, no part of london has been flooded. I live 30 minutes from the city. Are you saying that the UBR that serves my connection is located somewhere outside of london?

vmtech
24-07-2007, 16:57
yeah could be

Rik
24-07-2007, 17:43
If a part of the network goes down due to major unforeseen circumstances like flooding etc, you will just have to roll with it and wait for VM to fix it, they will fix it as soon as they can.

Some parts of the Thames have flooded have they not?

When Buncefield Oil Depot exploded my internet went down for about a week.

Some things are beyond VM's control.
Have patience.

MovedGoalPosts
24-07-2007, 17:44
Whilst there wasn't the major ongoing flooding problems in the South East that we've seen reported on the news, there was substantial heavy rain that caused localised pooling of water. This will have been more than capable of of overwhelming drainage systems, leading to ingress into ducts, cabinets and all sorts of street based infrastructure.

Inevitably tracing all of the faults, waterlogged connections and such like requires a significant effort and can take time. Whilst it is annoyinig not to have the broadband services, there is ultimately no minimum service standard for residential connections.

Please remember the weather was a freak event (albeit one that we run a risk of seeing again). If our government can't cope, should we expect Virgin Media to be able to cope?

Steviec9
24-07-2007, 17:45
vmtech - i understand the problem but i'm not really that interested. what i pay in excess of £40 a month for is for such problems to be mitigated or real time, useful updates be given on the status page. this affects livelihoods.

vmtech
24-07-2007, 18:00
tuff we cant jst make it not rain and to not break equipment doesnt work like that mate! its hardly virgins fault and how does your livelihood affected by this??

Steviec9
24-07-2007, 18:12
because i'm a carer and work remotely from home. at the moment, i have to arrange costly care cover so i can go into the office. once again, i understand the problems but your response 'tuff' is not helpful. what is the free dialup number for me to maintain a basic link in such circumstances when broadband is affected for days? is my local infrastructure affected or has it been traced to a distant rack?

vmtech
24-07-2007, 18:27
a dunno a dont even know wat issue is affecting you!
and there isnt a free dial up number if you call cust services they might let you use dial up the now but thats up to them a only work with broadband

Rik
24-07-2007, 18:58
because i'm a carer and work remotely from home.

You shouldnt be using a residential broadband service for business use.
Im sure its a breach of VMs terms and conditions, you want to work from home using your broadband, invest in a business connection. :rolleyes:

vmtech
24-07-2007, 19:05
yes rik you are correct if he had a business account he would get he would be covered for losses by virgin

SMHarman
24-07-2007, 19:06
You shouldnt be using a residential broadband service for business use.
Im sure its a breach of VMs terms and conditions, you want to work from home using your broadband, invest in a business connection. :rolleyes:
Have you tried getting a business connection to a residential address (or vice versa).

Steviec9
24-07-2007, 19:08
business use = running a business for profit from a registered address, not working remotely for an employer at your residence - please check your CBI terms. moot point anyway, my days with vm are numbered. my neighbour enjoys far superior service with BT (luckily we're almost next door to the exchange ) at almost half the cost. besides, a bt line will give me more choice about supplier after my initial contract expires.

what?
24-07-2007, 19:11
depends, working from home is okay i believe in the t&c's
running a business isnt

either way, loss of work or extra costs, vm, or any other isp, aint
responsible.

Rik
24-07-2007, 19:16
Have you tried getting a business connection to a residential address (or vice versa).

Yes its extremely easy, my ex employer Cisco got a business BT ADSL connection installed at my address for me no problem, I cant imagine having VM Business connection is that much harder.

vmtech
24-07-2007, 19:18
yeah a doubt that most you can have with bt is up to 8mbs so its not that gd and the bt home hub is rubbish ano because a have both vm and bt in the house(bt contract isnt up till september and vm only cost me £1.50 a month so thought a would jst get it asap)

ufitm
24-07-2007, 19:26
Hey all,

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else... I am in SW17 in London and my found that my cable internet had died when I got home from work. Well its now Tuesday and its still down. Ive called the support line, and they say that due to adverse weather conditions blah blah blah... I've called the pay line as well and got diverted to india which is obviously useless. It looks as if their entire BBI network has gone down? What on earth is going on here? Can a VM employee fill us in? I think that going this long without Internet is totally unacceptable given that the best excuse they can offer is "the weather" - cable internet isn't waterproof all of a sudden?.
There are people in worcestershire herefordshire and gloucestershire
and oxfordshire lost a lot more than there internet conection ,and it has just
been on tv that some people have lost there life , and now people are even
looting, and trying to knick the flood deffence in some parts, that they have
had to have security guards by 24/7. so just think the virgin media employess
might have got more on there mind than trying to mend people internet conections . The thames is now rising at winsdor and heading towards london so if you live by the river get your sand bags ready
ufitm
( from a dry part of worcestershire )

Really want to know what is going on here and how long it is likely to take to fix it.

Sorry if there is a thread about this already, if there is can someone please link me to it. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Steviec9
24-07-2007, 19:35
i'd be happy with a steady 4mb - my neighbour's bt rarely dips below 7mb. I average 3mb with huge dips, we all (in our street) got rid of virgin/telewest tv years ago because it hardly ever worked properly and our phones weren't great quality. VM need to seriously update their aged infrastructure in this area and look at other providers proactive responses to customer problems in light of near national weather issues. VM are not unique with their current problems, just their dealing with them.

ufitm
24-07-2007, 19:59
i'd be happy with a steady 4mb - my neighbour's bt rarely dips below 7mb. I average 3mb with huge dips, we all (in our street) got rid of virgin/telewest tv years ago because it hardly ever worked properly and our phones weren't great quality. VM need to seriously update their aged infrastructure in this area and look at other providers proactive responses to customer problems in light of near national weather issues. VM are not unique with their current problems, just their dealing with them.
I know that myself how vm deal with things, My in my first post , seening
someone going on about lost internet conection (Which i would done myself
been off so long ) it was just coming from very near to the areas affected
by the weather ( and now looting has been taking places as well ),just made have that little rant, sorry to oridginal poster no offence ment to them

SMHarman
24-07-2007, 20:12
Yes its extremely easy, my ex employer Cisco got a business BT ADSL connection installed at my address for me no problem, I cant imagine having VM Business connection is that much harder.Maybe it is easier these days but 3 years ago NTL Business would not offer me an account because it was a residential address.
When we moved to a business address NTL Business could not connect service for 4 weeks. BT could do it in 24hours. The thought of running an office without phone or broadband for 4 weeks was well, BT got the business.
Just my experience YMMV.

Rik
24-07-2007, 20:41
Maybe it is easier these days but 3 years ago NTL Business would not offer me an account because it was a residential address.

Surely its not like that these days is it?
Ive never had the pleasure of dealing with NTL/VM Business, they would be mad if that was still their stance on things.

:Yikes:

Im sure it helps tho when the a representative from the company rings up tho and says they want 100 employees connected.

vmtech
24-07-2007, 20:45
dont ask me a only deal with residential account

Rik
24-07-2007, 21:02
dont ask me a only deal with residential account

Is there a problem with your "I" key? :p:

janipewter
24-07-2007, 21:16

Exactly what I was thinking ;)

vmtech
24-07-2007, 21:33
sorry didnt know a was back in english!!

nfs6600
24-07-2007, 21:42
vmtech - i understand the problem but i'm not really that interested. what i pay in excess of £40 a month for is for such problems to be mitigated or real time, useful updates be given on the status page. this affects livelihoods.

Are you implying that loss of Broadband affects livelihoods? Do me a favour!! What did you do before broadband? Just wait the ten minutes for the dirty pictures you come up you will be fine. Coped on 56k as did everyone else so just live with it :rolleyes:.

EDIT to Above: Just read your post stating your a carer. However, surely the company you work for should not have you soley rely on your home personal internet connection that you are paying for??

I know, let's give the network techs scuba suits so they can get the broadband back online. Some of which will be effected by the flooding themselves. Much more bigger issues at stake here than someones internet. Jeez!

---------- Post added at 21:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

business use = running a business for profit from a registered address, not working remotely for an employer at your residence - please check your CBI terms. moot point anyway, my days with vm are numbered. my neighbour enjoys far superior service with BT (luckily we're almost next door to the exchange ) at almost half the cost. besides, a bt line will give me more choice about supplier after my initial contract expires.

Go with BT then. The flooding is an act of god that has caused these problems. Nothing that VM can do about it. They will work as fast as they can to get services back online. You need to think of the safety of the techs too mate

I really can't believe you're ranting about your Broadband to be honest. There are people out there tonight with no clean water, electricity, food, looters lurking about, no heating, living in temp sleeping arrangments.....and all you can rant about is your internet! Shame on you I say

what?
24-07-2007, 21:47
well said!!

vmtech
24-07-2007, 21:49
you tell him nfs6600!!

Steviec9
24-07-2007, 22:17
hardly ranting. just pointing out deficiencies in basic customer service. i've never made a comment on what's going on in flood hit areas and yet those writing on here feel free to presume about my work status and internet use.

nfs6600
24-07-2007, 22:22

Take note of your post above. From this I would gather that you expect VM to get your services up and running in real time. If there was no flooding, I would agree with you 100%. But this has been since the flooding from what I can gather. The damage is estimate to be in the billions due to the flooding. There are bigger issues than internet. VM will get yours repaired as soon as it is safe to do so. Naturally I hope this is sooner rather than later for you :tu:

SMHarman
24-07-2007, 22:41
Surely its not like that these days is it?
Ive never had the pleasure of dealing with NTL/VM Business, they would be mad if that was still their stance on things.

:Yikes:

Im sure it helps tho when the a representative from the company rings up tho and says they want 100 employees connected.True, but 100 employees in 800sqft of office tends to breach health and safety requirements.

rogerdraig
24-07-2007, 22:45
though agreeing you cant expect miricles if its down to flooding but i still get that uneasy feeling we will be hearing this one as much as the dreaded "the computers are down" as the new in excuse

sollp
24-07-2007, 23:24
vmtech, just out of interest, what part of the business do you work in?

ufitm
25-07-2007, 09:07
Just noticed my mistake with with my i key sorry, and also if the post say they did not know a was back in english sorry for that as well . I hope the first post in this thread has now got there coection back
ufitm:(

vmtech
25-07-2007, 15:43
tech support

eth01
25-07-2007, 15:49
hence "vmtech".

Or am I being vague :P

vmtech
25-07-2007, 15:55
yeah was going to say sumthing but thought it was to easy

sollp
25-07-2007, 19:40
yeah was going to say sumthing but thought it was to easy

Well you could have, but i suppose vmtech could be short for, say, service Tech or Network or Businees Tech or Broadband Tech support, but i suppose you could have said that as well, eh. Oh yes, sumthing is spelt SOMETHING, but you could have said that also, but spelling correctly is to easy.

nfs6600
25-07-2007, 22:25
Well you could have, but i suppose vmtech could be short for, say, service Tech or Network or Businees Tech or Broadband Tech support, but i suppose you could have said that as well, eh. Oh yes, sumthing is spelt SOMETHING, but you could have said that also, but spelling correctly is to easy.

Why don't we have less of the slagging off and get back onto topic? People need to realise that one day, they will have a problem and VMtech might be the one to help out.

nfs6600

sollp
25-07-2007, 23:35
Why don't we have less of the slagging off and get back onto topic? People need to realise that one day, they will have a problem and VMtech might be the one to help out.

nfs6600

Look at his reply to a, No:42, my remark was made because of his remark towards me, being to sarcastic and i hope i don't have to rely on him for help.

vmtech
26-07-2007, 17:11
yeah nfs6600 am more then happy to give out help thats why am here tbh, and if a want to spell something like sumthing a will free country mate!

Rik
26-07-2007, 17:30
business use = running a business for profit from a registered address, not working remotely for an employer at your residence - please check your CBI terms.

Can you link me to these CBI Terms?

Ive just been looking at the VM T&Cs and all I can see is the following which doesnt mention anything about profit etc.

"The Service is provided on the following terms:

Residential Use: The Service is provided exclusively for use by residential customers and may not be used for business use."Is a carer using their home broadband connection for their job, classed as Business Use or not?

I wouldve thought it would be.

Can someone clarify this? then I will accept the neg feedback someone left and be quiet :D
Just what is classed as business use and what isnt? I would think this is pretty clear cut.

WHISTLED
26-07-2007, 17:31
free country mate

Its not!

vmtech
26-07-2007, 18:13
well am still goin to say wat a want!

Rik
26-07-2007, 18:15
Its not!

well am still goin to say wat a want!

I thought Virgin were big on team bonding exercise's, doesnt seem to be working for some employee's ;) :D

WHISTLED
26-07-2007, 18:16
Wel am stl gona hav problm standin y

vmtech
26-07-2007, 18:44
sorry but a dont take well to people telling me what a can and cant say cause it has nuthing to do with him, if you dont like what am saying leave!!!

xpod
26-07-2007, 19:53
Is this another of those literacy tests.......:)

All i can say is thank yerselves lucky Irvine Welsh aint having trouble with his dodgy broadband.

Even i have trouble reading his bloody typing;)

Steviec9
27-07-2007, 14:56
Can you link me to these CBI Terms?

Ive just been looking at the VM T&Cs and all I can see is the following which doesnt mention anything about profit etc.

"The Service is provided on the following terms:

Residential Use: The Service is provided exclusively for use by residential customers and may not be used for business use."Is a carer using their home broadband connection for their job, classed as Business Use or not?

I wouldve thought it would be.

Can someone clarify this? then I will accept the neg feedback someone left and be quiet :D
Just what is classed as business use and what isnt? I would think this is pretty clear cut.

Rik - look at the VM Acceptable Use Policy, para 6.1.4 (copied below, but basically this is a "thou shallt not"

6.1.4. trade or business use of the Services of any kind unless used during the course of working away from the usual place of work (“home working”). The Services are for residential use only.

This clearly gives exemption to home working (opposed to running a business from home). Hope this clarifies.

Just for an update on my personal situation, still no broadband after a week but we now know it's nothing to do with flooding anywhere but a fault in the infrastucture locally (only know this because my neighbour asked the tech working on the box). Tickets are continually being opened and closed but not a word from Customer Services, which was my original gripe. Market forces will prevail as BT attend next week to switch 3 of us back.

Rik
27-07-2007, 15:18
Rik - look at the VM Acceptable Use Policy, para 6.1.4 (copied below, but basically this is a "thou shallt not"

6.1.4. trade or business use of the Services of any kind unless used during the course of working away from the usual place of work (“home working”). The Services are for residential use only.

This clearly gives exemption to home working (opposed to running a business from home). Hope this clarifies.

Certainly does clarify, I was certainly wrong about that, please accept my aplogies :)

Steviec9
27-07-2007, 15:20
Not a problem - we're all here to help each other....;)

Anyhow, my neighbout just called to say that the tech has just knocked on the door to say he thinks he's got us connected again, so I'm rushing back home to check it out....

Steviec9
27-07-2007, 17:24
....false alarm - still dead as a dodo. can't be bothered to tackle customer services again - i'll just cancel the direct debit.

vmtech
27-07-2007, 18:41
you do realise you still have to close your account

eth01
27-07-2007, 18:44
/me *sighs*

Will you please be quiet.

vmtech
27-07-2007, 18:56
dont get cheeky!!
I was only tellin him!!

sollp
27-07-2007, 23:04
Well you could have, but i suppose vmtech could be short for, say, service Tech or Network or Business Tech or Broadband Tech support, but i suppose you could have said that as well, eh. Oh yes, sumthing is spelt SOMETHING, but you could have said that also, but spelling correctly is to easy.

vmtech
28-07-2007, 14:20
sorry sollp but wat was the post for?

sollp
28-07-2007, 20:36
sorry sollp but wat was the post for?
Can't be bothered now, so ignore it.

Stuart
29-07-2007, 18:05
yeah could be

Unlikely from what I know of the network.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

tuff we cant jst make it not rain and to not break equipment doesnt work like that mate! its hardly virgins fault and how does your livelihood affected by this??

No, Virgin Media cannot make it stop raining. However, they can endeavour to repair any broken equipment within a reasonable timeframe.