PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media cable broadband on Windows ME

weggiewabbit
24-07-2007, 01:33
Can anyone help with this?

I had been using ntl’s broadband for 2 or 3 years connected via a cable modem – it was the 245 I think (the blue one which has USB and Ethernet connections). My broadband developed a fault a month ago and is now [at last!] working again, but Virgin Media sent me a new modem (I think it’s the 255 model – a black one with only an Ethernet connection … I could never get USB to work with the old one on either machine, anyway) and they then had to re-establish the connection.

A month ago I used to alternate using it on 2 PCs – one runs Windows ME and the other one XP.

Now I find I can only get it to work on the XP machine … they tell me that they no longer give technical support for ME, but there is a way, they hinted, to adjust your settings so it will work on ME. Apparently if I hadn’t had this fault it would still be OK on ME. The fault was with the connection outside the house – the engineer had to replace a splitter, he said.

I had been using a dial-up on the ME machine while waiting for them to fix it – I tried to reset it to how it was before, but thought I might have forgotten something.

I found a link on Google tonight to a well-hidden page on Virgin Media’s site [http://www.virginmedia.com/help/support/solution.php] which gives instructions on how to adjust your Internet Options in ME, but doing that didn’t fix it.

I use IE 6.0, which works well with ME in my experience.

I’d be most grateful for any ideas!

xspeedyx
24-07-2007, 09:02
Dont use ME just install xp on there ME was never that stable I do think you need to get rid of it

eth01
24-07-2007, 09:14
VirginMedia broadband will work on ME If you configure it appropriately no reasons as to why it wouldn't. However yes, if your looking for a stable OS use Win XP.

:D

zing_deleted
24-07-2007, 09:18
:welcome: you are rebooting the modem between pc changes?

I believe IP config exists in ME goto start run and click cmd(command if that does not work) type ipconfig /all and see if your getting issued an external ip address. Also try ping www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk) and see if you get anything. This will rule out browser problems. Have you removed the default dial up connection from internet options?

Do not install XP on the ME machine untill you check there is enough ram in there a lot of older 9x machines of that kinda age only shipped with 128 meg of ram ideally you need 512 minimum 256 at a pinch.

anduin
24-07-2007, 10:32
i believe winipconfig works on ME to make life a little more graphically fun :)

dave6x
24-07-2007, 11:48
I still have one of my PCs that dual boots Win2000Pro and WinME and there is no problem using BB if you're using ethernet, PC will just see BB as a LAN connection. Use the connection wizard to change over from Dial-up to LAN as your internet connection.

If you are happy with ME, or need it for some older programmes like I do, then stay with it. If the machine has limited spec and you want to change then Win2000 would be a good alternative, as would one of the Linux distros such as Ubuntu.

NB Incidentally when fully updated WinME is much better than it was originally, and it is much more stable when operated with 512MB of RAM! My major problem was due to conflicts with SOPHOS AV, a lot of my WinME problems went away when I changed to AVG AV!

xspeedyx
24-07-2007, 12:33
gotta love ubuntu freespire is really nice aswell on resources

xpod
24-07-2007, 12:34
Like the previous posters mentioned i would consider one of the numerous Linux distros available......although depending on the spec of the thing Ubuntu might be a bit much for machine in question possibly?

Most live cd`s/installs should automatically detect your BB connection without a problem but either way it`s a piece of cake to setup usually.
Of course though, taking the time to learn a new way of doing things is mabey not for everyone.I`d certainly advise anyone to at least try a live cd....or three though:)

Ubuntu if enough spec for sure but if not then even the lighter xubuntu possibly?For machines with less spec though theres many even lighter distros out there and most certainly one to suit your/pc needs.

Linux is`nt as hard to learn as many claim it to be....It`s just different and unfamiliar for most.Indeed i myself had only sat down at a pc for the very first time some 4 months prior to the Ubuntu/Linux discovery but then i think thats been an advantage rather than a hinderance.:)

The first pc i had last year was an old ME machine of a friend funnily enough,followed by the XP one 2 weeks later.
Anyway,sorry for rambling on about Linux when it`s probably not what you want but when i see someone mention ME i automatically think back to how things were for us last year.......and how they are now

My only regret is that i never discovered it sooner:)

dave6x
24-07-2007, 15:23
Xpod, thanks for pointing out the Ubuntu / Xubuntu difference, I'd unfortunately left the X off!!

DarthLinux, I've got to agree, Ubuntu LiveCD has amazed me how it can load up and be surfing the net in Firefox in about 5 mins on an average PC, And it is very useful when you have a messed up MS Windows PC that needs unlocking and sorting out!!!

xpod
24-07-2007, 18:03
Xpod, thanks for pointing out the Ubuntu / Xubuntu difference, I'd unfortunately left the X off!!

DarthLinux, I've got to agree, Ubuntu LiveCD has amazed me how it can load up and be surfing the net in Firefox in about 5 mins on an average PC, And it is very useful when you have a messed up MS Windows PC that needs unlocking and sorting out!!!

You`ve got Ubuntu on the brain m8...lol:D
If you want a live cd as a handy & speedy rescue tool then i`d suggest puppy linux...that things shockingly fast so it is.I always take that and the gparted cd with me when called upon nowadays.
The 10-20 second boot times are so much better in those circumstances:)

Wolvix cub/hunter and Tinyme are another couple of lightweights i`ve tried and Wovix especially is well worth a look....regardless of spec:)
It`s a year to the day practically since i stumbled across Ubuntu and although we use others on certain machines/drives we all like our Ubuntu in this house and that wont change now i dont think.....WHY would it eh??

weggiewabbit
24-07-2007, 22:49
Many thanks for all your replies!

Yes, the ME machine only has 128Mb RAM so a later OS doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Still got one or two things to try, but the ME PC could end up just for offline use … at least the XP one is OK for BB (also considerably faster!), and it would simplify things using just one, I suppose.

jubbi
24-07-2007, 23:04
Ah, windows mangled edition. I remember getting some sony laptops with that mess on them. I had to downgrade them to 98 to get a few of the educational programs we used at the time to work. Terrible. And yes, it hated Sophos. Mind you, so does vista.

xpod
25-07-2007, 00:01
Ah, windows mangled edition. I remember getting some sony laptops with that mess on them. I had to downgrade them to 98 to get a few of the educational programs we used at the time to work. Terrible. And yes, it hated Sophos. Mind you, so does vista.

Mangled Edition...lol.Thats a new one on me.
Is`nt Vista apparently the MEll anyway?

Many thanks for all your replies!

Yes, the ME machine only has 128Mb RAM so a later OS doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Still got one or two things to try, but the ME PC could end up just for offline use … at least the XP one is OK for BB (also considerably faster!), and it would simplify things using just one, I suppose.

The pc i had with ME at the time never had an nic so i just used some smcusb adapter they gave me back then,when i did`nt know any better.Still got the adapter but ME has long since gone.I think i mabey have the setup files somewhere in case i ever need them....ahem:)

128Mb and the 3-500Mhz i imagine it has would certainly run some of the lightweight Linux distro`s mentioned ......extremely well at that.
These things are built specifically for machines with 128Mb and less,You dont even need to install anything as they run directly from cd/ram and so dont have to install to a drive,unless of course you want to.
I have puppy linux & Wolvix on a Dell latitude with 128M 700Mhz and they blow the socks off my 1.81Ghz 512Mb Ubuntu powered machine,or any other similar spec machine i`ve seen..... with windows usually.

Good luck either way.It`s past my bedtime but if you ever want to try something better on your old machines(or indeed new)then you know what to do eh