PDA

View Full Version : Connecting another PC to my existing broadband connection temporarily..

Pea-Pod
23-07-2007, 17:13
Hi - I've have just fixed and reformatted a relatives PC, and now I want to connect it to my internet to download all the security patches, and service packs from the microsoft website, and install a few programs.

However when I plug my Internet cable into the back of the network port it's not recognising it for internet and I keep getting page not displayed messages.

Will I have to go through the start:NTL registering procedure to hook up this second PC to my existing internet connection?

I don't really want to do that because I'll be giving it back to my relative after I have updated it over the internet, and will then go back to using my PC for my internet.

Wicked_and_Crazy
23-07-2007, 17:25
turn your PC off, reboot your modem and then reboot the PC

Graham M
23-07-2007, 18:54
Unless he gets his internet via the STB, in which case he'll have to provision the new PC.

Pea-Pod
26-07-2007, 00:39
Hi - Yes I do get my internet from the STB. Provision the new PC. Does that mean I will have to go through the registration process again? That won't affect my existing account and connection will it?

Many thanks.

zing_deleted
26-07-2007, 09:49
no you will just have to do it again when you swap back

xpod
26-07-2007, 10:21
Anytime i stick a new pc on the stb connection it just wants a new name for the pc
in question(i think theres about 6 names on the there just now)along with registration details......no problems when switching back though and at worst a reboot all round.

wafer_style
26-07-2007, 13:10
Hi - Yes I do get my internet from the STB. Provision the new PC. Does that mean I will have to go through the registration process again? That won't affect my existing account and connection will it?

Many thanks.

OK buddy .. here's the trick

step1 : Connect the nu PC to the STB
step2 : Reboot the STB and the PC
step3 : Goto Network Connections and check the IP address on the LAN connection , it should start with 10 , something like 10.x.x.x
Step4 : Now open internet explorer and goto 172.16.30.24 , if that does not work try ne of the following addresses:

Step5 : Add the PC on your account and reboot the STB and the PC

Check the IP address , you should now get a valid public ip . Try connecting to the internet ...

Pea-Pod
27-07-2007, 00:40
Cheers, thanks for all the advice, guys.

I feel a bit silly now. It was a simple case of just pulling the plug out and back in on the STB downstairs. :rolleyes:

I managed to download all the updates including SP2 on the relatives PC. I can give this back to them tomorrow, all fixed and raring to go.

Thanks again.