PDA

View Full Version : How long is a reasonable time to wait............

Redbull69
22-07-2007, 20:16
For my 10Meg Broadband to be fixed. I'm currently on an oversbscribed line and in the afternoons i run at about under 1 Meg, and weekends are like dial up.
I won't post how long it has been like so i can get a flavour of the general public think before i escalate once more.:confused:

Maggy
22-07-2007, 20:18
For my 10Meg Broadband to be fixed. I'm currently on an oversbscribed line and in the afternoons i run at about under 1 Meg, and weekends are like dial up.
I won't post how long it has been like so i can get a flavour of the general public think before i escalate once more.:confused:

Depends on the person and their needs and patience...and this question is a bit like inquiring about lengths of string...:D

Redbull69
22-07-2007, 20:24
I'm after generalisation, after one Month, After 2 months etc. Virgin will not comment so i thought i would ask the public. The broadband is in constant use, Me for work most days, and the kids of an evening, the other half for general use and also X box live.

Mick Fisher
22-07-2007, 20:36
In a fair world the regulator would hand out a hefty fines to ISP's who oversubscribed their infrastructure to the detriment of there existing customer base. To continue to sell services that cannot be delivered in those circumstances is tantamount to fraud.

So to answer your question, as your services should not have been degraded in the first place then you should not have to wait for any time at all.

Of course in the real world ISP's seem to be a protected species, particularly Cable, and can seemingly do almost as they like, re-writing their TOS's on the fly, as it were, to suit whatever crafty scheme they have up there sleeve's at any particular time.

Maggy
22-07-2007, 20:43
I'm after generalisation, after one Month, After 2 months etc. Virgin will not comment so i thought i would ask the public. The broadband is in constant use, Me for work most days, and the kids of an evening, the other half for general use and also X box live.

Well I think a month would be too long..I'd expect some recompense for that long a time UNLESS there was a damned good reason like an oversubscribed UBR which can't be sorted until the funds are available to upgrade the system.

Mind under those circumstances I might be looking to another ISP or to downgrading to a lower BB speed instead until it's sorted.

bw41101
22-07-2007, 21:34
Commiserations. If this was an off the shelf product that you had purchased, you'd be well within your legal rights to return it as "not fit for purpose". :erm:

As this is a service that you're "paying" for I don't see that there is any distinction in this particular case. I would be tempted to downgrade your BB service and (strongly but politely) indicate to the service provider (SP) that they are in breach of contract by virtue of the fact that they are failing consistently to meet the criteria of their service level agreement, :td: I.e. You're paying for a 10 Meg service you should (at least) get something reasonably close to what you're paying for.

As this appears to be a technical problem which is beyond your control, then the SP has an obligation to put it right. Granted this may take a while to sort out (as your SP has indicated), you are quite within your rights to downgrade BB your service (without penalty) pending a solution. I would even (be cheeky) ask for a refund.

Hope this is helpful

Regards and Si thee.

Redbull69
23-07-2007, 08:54
Thanks for your comments. I have been quoted several Dates in which Virgin were to remedy the problem, it might come as a suprise that all these dates have expired with no fix. It would of been 7 months on the 27th of July since i brought this to the attention of Virgin who were then NTL. I do have an e-mail with one of their workers quoting the last remedial date as evidence though as they tend to say that the date i was previously told is wrong or who told me that Blah Blah Blah! i will certainly call them again today and further Bleat! many thanks.

the-cable-guy
23-07-2007, 16:52
? any chance of u posting the email ere ?

Retrovertigo
23-07-2007, 17:15
I'm glad someone has started this thread, as this is the position I find myself in as well. I've been told "no date has been determined" for solving my poor speeds. So the question is, as a consumer, what are my choices without upping and tying myself to another 12 month contract with someone.

I want my problem fixed, I don't want to move or to keep being given hand outs as a petty bribe in order to keep me sweet.

the-cable-guy
23-07-2007, 19:35
well ur paying for a service & if ur not gettin it then u shudnt have to pay for it

Redbull69
24-07-2007, 08:37
The Thlot Plickens or so they say. I rung the broadband support line requesting another remedial date as the last one had past, i then had to go through protocol, speedtests, restart machine in safe mode blah blah blah. I did explain to them that the fault was not with my modem it was further down the line, he then argued that the UBR was ok, to which i said how do you know that for sure when i have been told otherwise, He could not answer and said he was seeing packet losses on my Modem??? I entertained him through the tests and the conlussion sure enough was not my end or the modem. He has now booked an engineer for Thursday. I said to him he was wasting his time and offered a £10 bet the engineer would accomplish nothing. I may take him hostage until it get's ressolved so if you hear it on the news you know who it is. All the while i can only get 10mB broadband at half the price for 3 months as a sweetener.

Does anyone have any documented SLA regarding deliverables, as the info i can find is quite ambiguous, andf not clearly defined?

zing_deleted
24-07-2007, 08:50
The Thlot Plickens or so they say. I rung the broadband support line requesting another remedial date as the last one had past, i then had to go through protocol, speedtests, restart machine in safe mode blah blah blah. I did explain to them that the fault was not with my modem it was further down the line, he then argued that the UBR was ok, to which i said how do you know that for sure when i have been told otherwise, He could not answer and said he was seeing packet losses on my Modem??? I entertained him through the tests and the conlussion sure enough was not my end or the modem. He has now booked an engineer for Thursday. I said to him he was wasting his time and offered a £10 bet the engineer would accomplish nothing. I may take him hostage until it get's ressolved so if you hear it on the news you know who it is. All the while i can only get 10mB broadband at half the price for 3 months as a sweetener.

Does anyone have any documented SLA regarding deliverables, as the info i can find is quite ambiguous, andf not clearly defined?

1 Dont be silly. At best you may get a prison sentance at worst he might kick your head in ;)
2 If your connection is that bad half price 10 meg isnt enough of a saving

Redbull69
24-07-2007, 13:47
1 Dont be silly. At best you may get a prison sentance at worst he might kick your head in ;)2 If your connection is that bad half price 10 meg isnt enough of a saving

I wonder what the Broadband connections are like in the prisons these days. ;)

Redbull69
26-07-2007, 10:53
Well engineer made an appearance today, funny enough it was the same engineer that came in January, he said he was still aware of the problems and even went on to say that Virgin are still selling the same oversubscribed line as new 10 Mg customers are equally frustrated as i am, surely this is illegal to tout services they know that they cannot possibly achieve?