PDA

View Full Version : Random connection problems

webmonkey
21-07-2007, 19:40
Hi all.

We got hit by lightning a few weeks ago (pretty sure it came in through the cable as all electricals were on surge protected sockets).

It took out the attenuator, modem, router & 2 computers.

Virgin Media sent out a new modem, but because the attenuator had blown it didn't work, so an engineer came round and tested the line then replaced a 3dB attenuator for a 6dB one.

After the engineer had been and we got the new router I moved it all downstairs where we used to have Cable TV.

Now the connection generally works, although I'm not sure its quite as fast as before, and certainly not as robust- I have managed to get up to the 2mb on speedtest.net but rarely can.

Whenever I try and watch videos (so it seems to be whenever it requires continuous stream) my computer reports limited connectivity and the videos never load. When I go downstairs the modem seems fine but there is no activity.

I'm trying to rule things out, it's probably the wireless connection, but I'm wondering if the extra 3dB of attenuation might be doing it or possibly the fact I moved it on to another connection.

Here's my modem info, appears ok to my untrained eye after looking at the sticky.

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5056.941 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.9 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 38.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Any ideas?

the-cable-guy
23-07-2007, 16:43
first off if i was u id connect your internet directly to ya pc & then ul no if its the router or not

webmonkey
23-07-2007, 18:03
first off if i was u id connect your internet directly to ya pc & then ul no if its the router or not

I finally got round to it late last night, turns out it was the router and firmware upgrade seems to have fixed it.

Thanks anyway :tu:

the-cable-guy
23-07-2007, 19:34
ok no worries mate a plzed that its sorted now :o)