PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Call Centres

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
21-07-2007, 14:18
I seem to remember seeing about a website that promoted companies using UK only call centres. Can someone point me in the direction cos I'm getting fed up explaining myself to overseas staff who don't understand what I'm trying to ask.

So far, I've had to explain 4 times I wish to add a specific item on my house insurance - and the stupid idiot doesn't understand. I've given up and just asked to be transferred to someone else with a better grasp of english... but I'm seriously fed up with it.

Nidge
21-07-2007, 14:29
I seem to remember seeing about a website that promoted companies using UK only call centres. Can someone point me in the direction cos I'm getting fed up explaining myself to overseas staff who don't understand what I'm trying to ask.

So far, I've had to explain 4 times I wish to add a specific item on my house insurance - and the stupid idiot doesn't understand. I've given up and just asked to be transferred to someone else with a better grasp of english... but I'm seriously fed up with it.

Don't use NORWICH UNION:D:D:D I dumped them last year when I had to get in touch with them over my house insurance. It was like trying to get through to a brick wall.

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
21-07-2007, 14:38
I'm with Zurich - been with them for years cos they were highly recommended and I get a nice public sector discount... BUT, they do seem to be one of the more expensive and I've been too lazy to change. They have been good when I've had to make a claim in the post - both of buildings and contents.

I'm just getting fed up tho that I've had to spend half hour speaking to several non-english staff and explain myself several times to each (and giving up when they're clueless) just to get a piece of jewellery added to the policy.

I think it's just the icing on the cake after the problems I've had trying to get Orange to update my account for nearly 4 weeks now to my married name and they still haven't managed it (altho they've called 3 times since I requested a PAC to ask how they can keep my business... and each time they use my maiden name, which just reinforces they're useless).

Whinge over.

Nidge
21-07-2007, 14:45
I'm with Zurich - been with them for years cos they were highly recommended and I get a nice public sector discount... BUT, they do seem to be one of the more expensive and I've been too lazy to change. They have been good when I've had to make a claim in the post - both of buildings and contents.

I'm just getting fed up tho that I've had to spend half hour speaking to several non-english staff and explain myself several times to each (and giving up when they're clueless) just to get a piece of jewellery added to the policy.

I think it's just the icing on the cake after the problems I've had trying to get Orange to update my account for nearly 4 weeks now to my married name and they still haven't managed it (altho they've called 3 times since I requested a PAC to ask how they can keep my business... and each time they use my maiden name, which just reinforces they're useless).

Whinge over.

As long as it's cheaper to out source call centre work they'll keep doing it, they have to please the shareholders with big profits and low outgoings, I'm with O2 and they are UK based, their call centre is in Leeds and everytime I've had to get in touch with them they've been spot on, no bother at all, last week I upgraded my phone, I did it on the Sunday and on the Tuesday morning a new phone was delivered, can't beat that for service.

For your home insurance I'd shop around, go and see one of your local insurance brokers, you'll be amazed at how cheap they are now, ask them all the questions like is their call centre UK based etc etc, I went through a broker when my last lot was up for renewal, I saved £49 by not doing it online.

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
21-07-2007, 14:50
I'm with O2 and they are UK based, their call centre is in Leeds

Yup... already done the rounds of the mobiles - and it's down to )2 or Vodafone. Orange was great til they moved a call centre to Malaysia (apparently something to do with a merger with T-mobile??). We have a PAYG on O2 atm for signal testing - my husband is also on Orange and we're both going to change, but he works on a ship so we need to test the signal before we commit.

Also, my mum's house is lousy for mobiles - so I'm checking there as well. Hopefully this time next week I'll be handing in the PAC for transfer :dozey: Shame really, as I've been with Orange about 10 years. Oh well.

Nidge
21-07-2007, 14:54
Yup... already done the rounds of the mobiles - and it's down to )2 or Vodafone. Orange was great til they moved a call centre to Malaysia (apparently something to do with a merger with T-mobile??). We have a PAYG on O2 atm for signal testing - my husband is also on Orange and we're both going to change, but he works on a ship so we need to test the signal before we commit.

Also, my mum's house is lousy for mobiles - so I'm checking there as well. Hopefully this time next week I'll be handing in the PAC for transfer :dozey: Shame really, as I've been with Orange about 10 years. Oh well.

Hope you get it sorted, like I mentione I've never had any problems with UK based call centres, something has got to done about the inept service they offer, people are pulling their hair out when tasked with speaking to someone in India or like you Malaysia.

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
21-07-2007, 14:58
Hope you get it sorted, like I mentione I've never had any problems with UK based call centres, something has got to done about the inept service they offer, people are pulling their hair out when tasked with speaking to someone in India or like you Malaysia.

I've never had any problems with the UK ones either - at least not with being understood.. which is the root of the problem. Somewhere there is a website that lists which companies are committed to UK call centres... I forget where tho.

LSainsbury
21-07-2007, 22:20
PotofGold - I believe you are looking for: http://www.antioffshore.org/

But - the last new entry is dated Sunday, 28 January 2007

MadGamer
22-07-2007, 18:01
HSBC also use off shore call centres :mad:

Russ
22-07-2007, 19:19
Apparently the pay in Indian callcenters is similar to that of doctors out there so it makes me wonder if schoolkids in India have career officers who get told that "young Daljit wants to be a callcenter worker when he grows up" :D

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
23-07-2007, 05:44
PotofGold - I believe you are looking for: http://www.antioffshore.org/

But - the last new entry is dated Sunday, 28 January 2007

Thanks - but the one I saw before had a list of companies... which I don't seem to find on this site without going thru the individual forum threads??

skyblueheroes
23-07-2007, 06:49
Don't you think thought that if a UK company advertised its UK call centers then it would be a big selling point these days ?

I'm sick of offshore call centers.

chickendippers
23-07-2007, 09:31
Directline do.

LSainsbury
23-07-2007, 20:49
I'm sick of offshore call centers.

Me too - having a running battle with some **** from BT regarding a simple change to my ID / password.

Except they keep managing to balls it up - 5 times and counting.

skyblueheroes
24-07-2007, 07:37
Makes me laugh when they call with an accent and call themsleves Jeff or Andrew ! Yet they call me by my surname first then forename !!

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
25-07-2007, 05:43
Makes me laugh when they call with an accent and call themsleves Jeff or Andrew ! Yet they call me by my surname first then forename !!

I thought it was Steve or Tony :dozey:

skyblueheroes
25-07-2007, 07:24
I thought it was Steve or Tony :dozey:

Take your pick of any proper builder type english name :p::D