PDA

View Full Version : Which Broadband supplier would you choose?

jcw00
20-07-2007, 19:57
If you could choose any broadband supplier, who would you choose? This doesn’t have to be your current supplier.

Please ignore any problems like distance from the Exchange or the supplier doesn't have equipment installed under Local loop unbundling (LLU). This poll is just to see who you would choose.

The list in the poll was taken from www.samknows.com

zing_deleted
20-07-2007, 20:00
I would astonishingly enough choose VM seeing as its what ive always said id recommend

EBO48
20-07-2007, 20:03
VM as i've had no problems and good service

Spitfire12
20-07-2007, 20:05
Voted be* One of the best ISPs out and aslo my current provider

VM are so rubbish its so unberlivable

fizgog
20-07-2007, 20:17
I voted VM as I've never tried any other so can't really comment on them, but if VM keep up the good work with STM :td: I might be considering changing

Paul
20-07-2007, 20:49
Off topic posts removed, behave people.

Bill C
20-07-2007, 20:57
I voted Be as that is where i am off to if Virgin don't get there finger out.

Virgin you have 24 days left to extract your finger and fix my broadband.

gc7
20-07-2007, 21:07
Although a Virgin customer I voted for Be. I'm a little unhappy with the way Virgin are at the moment and am looking into other options.

v0id
20-07-2007, 23:24
I voted for Virginmedia, since I use them with no problems.

However if I didn't live in a cabled area, I'd opt for BTs Homehub thingy, since I have friends who have it and have no problems. Virginmedias *DSL is a bit shakey so I've heard

Dawn Falcon
21-07-2007, 00:03
One of the small business ADSL ISP's. Good service, and I'm more than willing to pay a premium for a stable connection, even if I have to drop to a lower speed package to afford it.

Shaun
21-07-2007, 00:19
If only Be* would unbundle our exchange I'd take a punt on them but for now I'm back with VM - for my sins! :rolleyes:

Toto
21-07-2007, 00:44
Voted VM.

Not always the advertised speed at peak times, but I have yet to see a consistent ADSL matching my current speed at this time.

Tinky
21-07-2007, 06:53
I voted Sky, at £5 a month I'm happy!

ian@huth
21-07-2007, 09:34
I haven't voted because I haven't used most of the ISP's listed for quite some time. I have used my brother's Tiscali and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. You cannot choose an ISP unless you have first hand knowledge of its service in your locality.

I use Virgin Media and have been very satisfied with it until just recently. I am on the 2Mb service which was always nearly 2Mb and did virtually all of the things I wanted. Just of late though it is running at around 1Mb whatever time of day or night I check.

If I had a BT line instead of the VM line I would go for two ISP's, the Virgin Media 2Mb that I currently have and the free Sky service.

xspeedyx
21-07-2007, 10:11
VM gets my vote but I aint tryed anyone else apart from BT and they was crap

gazzzman
21-07-2007, 11:53
I chose VM I am quite happy with their tech side :) and when it work (most of the time for me!) it'sgreat (pity about billing and tech support)
if I was using ADSL (and I am aswell) I would chose Zen! (their tech support is ran by techies and they both care and understand) if they didnt have to rely on bt wholesale they would be my first choice :)
nildram have also been verry good and reliable with first class customer support.. but roumer has it they are about to be bought out by tiscali:shocked: I do hope not! tiscali and plusnet go with talk talk AOL sky and orange internet as the worst ISP's I know of!!:Yikes:

lordy
21-07-2007, 20:07
If I lived close to exchange I'd choose
1. Be first..
2. then any Entanet reseller next (ADSL24 etc) ..
3. Virgin Media would be low on my list because I think you should be able to have a decent dialogue with Customer Service when you need to. I dont want to pay for 'banging head against brick wall' experiences.

Pushkar
23-07-2007, 07:45
I wouldn't mind hooking upto Sweden's Bredband ISP :p

But yeah, VM all the way.

Steve-o||[^]
23-07-2007, 09:00
Voted Be as I would probs be with them if they were 'housed' at my exchange and if the exchange was closer :D

1.3Mib/s UL YEAH!

themelon
23-07-2007, 10:41
VM all the way at the moment.

As my Speaker Wires are to old to cope with ADSL faster than 512kb and BT wont replace them. The old cup and string phoneline is not capable of running properley in the current century.

I just wish Virgin would pull their finger out and maintain the network and install new equipment as and when required.....stop making maintainace staff redundant or outsourcing it to muppet companies. If they dont watch it their network will soon be a crap and old as BTs string and paper cups.

MikeyB
23-07-2007, 12:29
I've only ever had broadband with ntl & now VM so I couldn't possibly say how any other ISP performs in my area.

So I can only vote from my experience and that would be VM.

I do know that because of the BT exchange that I'm connected to my choice is very limited, until a few months ago there was no LLU on it at all, but now there is BE and TalkTalk.
Complete list from samknows.com:
BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
Be LLU
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Virgin Media (Cable)

Paranoimia
23-07-2007, 15:08
I voted VM. We've been on cable since we moved here just over 20 years ago, when it was a small local company running it. The it became NTL, and now Virgin.

I have to say that, despite a few hiccups and frustrations, the service has - over all - been exceptional throughout. Therefore, I currently see no reason to switch to anyone else.

Since NTL switched to digital here in 2001, we have had very few problems, and those that there have been, have been sorted quickly.

The biggest sticking point at the moment is that the call centres are not UK-based, and I often get the feeling that I know more than person I'm speaking to.

I mean no offence, but it seems that some of the call centre staff can barely speak or understand English - and when you or they are trying to explain something technical, it can be a major hindrance. You really do feel that you could get the problem sorted in half the time if you could at least understand each other!

I'm hoping that now they're charging so much for the calls, they'll at least be able to relocate their call centres to the UK, and pay for some staff who have a clue.

Other than that... when you do get through to someone who knows what they're talking about, I find the staff are usually very friendly and helpful. An engineer we had out recently even gave me his mobile number, so I could call him direct about any future problems, and possibly avoid the call centre all together!

DcBetts
23-07-2007, 16:37
VM every time. They are the best for Broadband services without a doubt. At least they guarantee a certain speed, unlike BT and other providers!!

Employee or not, i've never had any problems with my Broadband.

jcw00
21-08-2007, 23:00
Over 60% would choose Virgin Media for their broadband connection. Second goes to Be with 22%. The rest had less than 5% or no votes at all.

Maggy
21-08-2007, 23:04
Well the problem is that I won't have a BT line.This means that every other option but VM is out of the question.

Mind if there was one combination that inspires me with horror it's AOL and BT.

amateurfool
22-08-2007, 09:16
Well the problem is that I won't have a BT line.This means that every other option but VM is out of the question.

:Yes::clap:

Mind if there was one combination that inspires me with horror it's AOL and BT.

BT on their own fills me with horror, adding another company into the loop just compounds the sheer terror.