PDA

View Full Version : broadband wire

manu
20-07-2007, 15:16
hi im new here and i need your help with the ntl broadband wire, my question is does anyone know what the white broadband wire that connects to the modem is called and whether i can purchase another one from anywhere.
thank you

lordy
20-07-2007, 15:39
Yup. The cable that comes into your house to the modem is co-ax cable. with F-Plugs on the end. There are different qualities but RG6 is the standard for cabling & satelite bandwidth I believe.

If you are joining two cables you'll also need F-Plug couplers.

If you are splitting cables You'll need an f-plug splitter, if you have a TV package you probably want to make sure the splitter is a good quality one with about 2GHz or more marked on it somewhere.

I picked up 20m of good quality RG6 with F-Plug terminators already fitted for £6.49+5.49p&p , from fleabay, (seller 100per.trade - I've no links with this seller just a happy customer)

PS I'm not an authority on this, just did something recently for a friend.

There are also a few sites cableuniverse.co.uk , cablecity.co.uk that have cheap stuff.

If you want it NOW and dont mind paying the extra - Maplin

If you are repairing a damaged cable you'll need *good quality* f-plugs. But I haven't done that yet so not sure what the best types are.

handyman
20-07-2007, 16:24
This is the place I recommend to get stuff from.

http://www.mediachannels.co.uk/