PDA

View Full Version : re-locating cables

silly_questions
20-07-2007, 13:25
Hi,

We had Telewest fitted about 12 months ago for TV, Phone and Broadband.

We now want to re-arrange the furniture layout in the downstairs rooms and this poses a problem with the Telewest cabling.

We wish to move the TV and Broadband modem so that they would be sited closer to the box than they are now. This means that the cables would be longer than needed.

It appears an easy enough job to physically move everything as the cables are just stapled to the skirting boards around the rooms.

My question is, if I do move everything around, will it be OK to just loosely coil the excess cable or will this pose problems?? There will be approximately 8feet of excess cable.

Thanks in advance

Wicked_and_Crazy
20-07-2007, 13:29
loosely coiling them should be fine, cable tie them too if you want it to look tidier

silly_questions
20-07-2007, 13:50
Thats brilliant.

Many thanks for your quick reply.

awibble
21-07-2007, 08:49
although i dont know how the T&C's work about it, you can buy telewest/ntl/virgin cables on ebay, made to the size you want for a few quid. so if you want to hide the cable without the coils, you can just get a shorter cable. Depending on how its connected that is.

PS1
23-07-2007, 13:18
your first option is probably the best as you will still have the same ammount of cable and therefor shouldnt have any signal problems.if the cable was set up correctly and to the optimum signal scope then by shortening it this may change.slightly exterme example for just a few feet i know ,but in theory it could be the case.:tu:

silly_questions
24-07-2007, 19:06
I didn't want to shorten or change the existing cables as I may well be moving it all back again in a few months lol!!

Coils are well hidden anyway. Everything moved and working fine.

Thanks for all the responses.