PDA

View Full Version : virgin broadband explained

pedler
19-07-2007, 20:47
my broadband in my misses name and the tv in mine,so get letters to try broadband.

here a couple of paragraphs from the letter i had of VM today 19/07/07......quote

cable broadband is different. why? because it comes via cable you already have in your house. the one that brings you your virgin tv or phone,or both.
and with cable you get the speed you`d expect,no matter where you live.

for one,you`ll see that we`ve just been awarded 2007 best consumer internet service provider of the year by the ISPA.and theyre the experts,so they should know..

this ones the laugh

you`ll also discover plenty more advantages to cable broadband,like being able to download as much as you like, without any limits.(other providers restrict how much you can download.

i like the last bit in the last paragraph don`t they mean they are, not other providers.......this is false advertisement to me.

what you lot reckon?

v0id
19-07-2007, 20:50
It's been said on here before, but Virginmedia don't limit how much you can download. They only limit how fast you can download during peak times.

So, the literature you received is correct

rockabillybass
19-07-2007, 20:54
It's been said on here before, but Virginmedia don't limit how much you can download. They only limit how fast you can download during peak times.

I'm not keen on STM but you're right here. I would rather a lowering of speed than an absolute "cutoff".

pedler
19-07-2007, 21:12
total agree with that.

but it says without any limits and lowering the speed is a limit. it don`t say a thing about the traffic managment, as it should clearly, as you take out 4mb and finding out your limited to 2mb after a while.

my point here is there selling you something and not letting you read the small print ??

CDB
19-07-2007, 21:23
Surely if they're limiting how fast you can download, that directly limits how much you can download.
You can't download the same amount at 5meg in 1 hour (for example) as you can at 20meg in 1 hour.

(but it's irrelevant given harldy any of us can see 20meg)

Rik
19-07-2007, 21:37
I'm not keen on STM but you're right here. I would rather a lowering of speed than an absolute "cutoff".

Well said that man :tu:

Anyway is there any need to go over this old old ground, the search feature on this forum holds plenty of info about this :)

Steve-o||[^]
20-07-2007, 11:40
:S my phone comes in via another, thinner line compared to my TV/BB line.

STM, Caped Limits, or whatever, they shouldn`t be allowed to make it appear as if you can do what you want with your broadband (even put footer notes in a reasonable sized type-face).

As for 20Mib, HA! for some reason, when I upgraded from 4Mib (where I got pretty solid 4Mib DL`s and reasonable browsing and a playable latency without coke or loss (or not much) on UK Servers.) I managed to get the extra bonus pack of high latency, mega coke, super loss reaaaaally, s*it browsing and erm... MAX 250Kib DL`s <-- WTF? how can you go from 4Mib steady to less than that, by UPGRADING!?

/awaitsLLUinlocalexchange

downquark1
20-07-2007, 11:46
The point they are making is the delivery system is not limited on stupid factors like distance from the exchange. Basically you can always expect 20MB from the DELIVERY system. Unlike ADSL where distance from the exchange can reduce you to 2MB and even that may become buggy in a thunderstorm if the phone cables aren't adiquately shielded.

janipewter
20-07-2007, 16:33
;34355514']:S my phone comes in via another, thinner line compared to my TV/BB line.

Are you sure? My TV, phone and broadband all come on the same cable.

Chris
20-07-2007, 16:59

They come into the house on the one cable but once inside, you have different wall boxes for tv/bb and phone. tv/bb STBs receive a coaxial cable from their box, the phone handset receives a telephone cord.

I suspect this is where the confusion has arisen.

:)

Steve-o||[^]
20-07-2007, 17:15

yep. there`s the main cable with a thinner cable attached (almost moulded) to the larger cable, then they go their separate ways after a few meters inside.

...but it`s been there since the days of CableTel.

TraxData
20-07-2007, 18:06

Limiting how fast you can download is limiting how much you can download though, so it's a kinda stupid response.

xspeedyx
21-07-2007, 10:28
here we go another limiting thread

NitroNutter
23-07-2007, 00:18
As shaping is not mentioned in the brochure it is an imposed restriction which is hidden to most who do not know, this is imo a misleading advert by Virgin with important information deliberatly omitted as its not a positive point to include. I would say it has potential illegalities in the brochure as it is an attempt to con those with a lack of knowledge to even ask about such restricions, I also dont remember it saying that their CS is now a prmeium rate line so its a 100% not coming back for me, not even for the BB. I cannot ring premium rate numbers from anywhere. I do not permit them on any line I have, I refuse to ever ring a premium rate # based on the very same principal I have them barred every where I have a phone myself. 0870 and 0845's are bad enough today as they are no longer regular local and national rate, its time these were brought into line by ofcom. Premium rate # companies = no business from me ever.

zing_deleted
23-07-2007, 00:22
Damn I opened this thread hoping for an insiteful technical explaination of the subject but no I wasted my time on opening another shaping/limiting thread cheers for the misleading title

the-cable-guy
23-07-2007, 17:00
its every misleading indeed

NitroNutter
23-07-2007, 20:32
Damn I opened this thread hoping for an insiteful technical explaination of the subject but no I wasted my time on opening another shaping/limiting thread cheers for the misleading title
Well its reaslly quite simple, the advert is at best misleading although I personally think its false as if your being throttled in anyway at any time your not going to be getting the speed you expected which is in essence what the ad is trying to drive at that virgin media broadband stands for getting the speed it advertises, therefore the technical explanation is: its just NTL inside the brand name Virgin, aka 'A wolf in sheeps clothing'. There is no level to low for NTL to stoop to gain business, they prove it time and time again, and now its got Mr Bransons name on it.

Unlimited-> Capped-> Unlimited-> Capped-> Unlimited but throttled when felt like and only those in the know will be able to tell, lol my mrs changes her mind less and has 1,000 times the integrity of the entire NTL boardroom.

Web-Junkie
23-07-2007, 22:08

You mean you don't have a clue how cable broadband works? :Yikes: Or a spell checker for that matter, lol!! :D