PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to internet using ethernet

Hilan
19-07-2007, 21:27
Hi all. am a newbie.

I am trying to help out my parents on the computer front. They currently have their Virgin Media Broadband set up to work via usb. This is causing two main problems. Their is only one usb port on the computer and so it is being taken up perm for the connection. i have checked the motherboard and there are no extra ports available.

Secondly, and more importantly, the operating system is ME and this is terrible for connectivity via usb it seems. Keeps dropping out unannounced and needing a modem reboot.

I thought I had found the solution in the fact that the computer has an ethernet card and the modem can also be connected like this. I tried it on my macbook and it worked a dream. However, when connecting up their pc to the modem via ethernet it won't connect. The green link lights are on however I can't bring up any web pages. I have tried pibging the modem and never get a response from it and cannot renew and release either. So, it seems they are not talking.

The ethernet card is a linksys lne100tx and the operating system is wndows ME.

Heylp!

Thanks

zing_deleted
19-07-2007, 21:27
have you rebooted the modem :welcome:

MovedGoalPosts
19-07-2007, 21:33
You are probably going to have to delete whatever settings are in the computer for the USB connection. Once that is done, and assuming the ethernet card is active and with current drivers, and the connection is set to auto for eveything (including internet explorer's settings) reboot computer and modem, and assuming the ethernet only is now connected, all should work.

Data
19-07-2007, 21:45
You are probably going to have to delete whatever settings are in the computer for the USB connection.
Network connection wizard will help you achieve it.

Hilan
19-07-2007, 23:00
Several times, to no avail. As said, hook in my macbook and it works a dream

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

have you rebooted the modem :welcome:

Sorry, the above answer was for you, hit wrong button. Doh!

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

You are probably going to have to delete whatever settings are in the computer for the USB connection. Once that is done, and assuming the ethernet card is active and with current drivers, and the connection is set to auto for eveything (including internet explorer's settings) reboot computer and modem, and assuming the ethernet only is now connected, all should work.

Sounds promising. Could you talk me through in more detail?

How do I get rid of all USB settings and how do I set everything to automatic including IE?

Cheers

Hilan

macr59
20-07-2007, 12:03
Sorry to put a damper on your theories. Check the minimum spec:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/faqs/minspec.html

Stuart
20-07-2007, 13:15
Those specs are irrelevant for Ethernet. Any OS released since 1998 by Microsoft includes the necessary support for broadband via Ethernet.

MikeyB
20-07-2007, 13:29
Sorry to put a damper on your theories. Check the minimum spec:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/faqs/minspec.html

I just this week setup VB Broadband on my mother-in-laws PC which has Windows ME, 64MB Ram, and I would guess something like a 40GB hard drive.
The VM setup CD obviously said the PC did not reach the required specs, so registered manually.

They were previously on non-VM/ntl dial-up, so I first had to clear all the dial up settings etc, then it worked fine.

xpod
20-07-2007, 16:11
I just this week setup VB Broadband on my mother-in-laws PC which has Windows ME, 64MB Ram, and I would guess something like a 40GB hard drive.

Why dont you nip on Ebay or somewhere and get another stick of memory for that thing?Hell,even just doubling it would be an improvement;)
In fact, i have a couple of those old 64Mb sticks here that might be of use to you...pm me and we`ll find out if you want.You can have them if there any good for her old pc.

Your far less likely to get constant calls(like i used to) if she has a bit more RAM in the thing i reckon.:)

MikeyB
23-07-2007, 13:44
Hi xpod,

I know it's a very old very slooooooooooow pc, it was so painful getting it going, but it's only temporary.
They haven't used it for about 1.5 to 2 years, and it's just to get them going.
I'm getting a new PC soon, and they are going to have my current one which must be 1000 times quicker!!!

Thanks for the offer :)

the-cable-guy
23-07-2007, 17:30
have u got the right drivers installed for your ethernet ?

i couldnt connect to the internet after reinstalling windos xp, but after installing the drivers, it worked like a dream

xpod
24-07-2007, 22:08
Hi xpod,

I know it's a very old very slooooooooooow pc, it was so painful getting it going, but it's only temporary.
They haven't used it for about 1.5 to 2 years, and it's just to get them going.
I'm getting a new PC soon, and they are going to have my current one which must be 1000 times quicker!!!

Thanks for the offer

Nae problem:)
It only lies in a tub doing nothing so i wouldn`t have missed it.

Better yet mind you i could have sent you an even better operating system for the thing......one that would have run extremely well on their meager 64Mb;)
You could always just dl that yourself too though mind you....oh well.

Sorry cant help myself;)

vmtech
24-07-2007, 22:30
ok is the pc light on when you connect it to the pc?