PDA

View Full Version : Ladies... Help!!!

ikthius
19-07-2007, 18:59
OK and guys too.

I need some help in thinking about a present for my girlfriend as its going to be our 1yr anniversary next month, and I need to get her something, she got me one.

Ok, I can't go for jewelery I got her a tifanny necklace for her birthday.

I was thinking of either...
1: Cheap flight to somewhere for either a couple of days or just a day, if flights are good enough times.
2: Spa retreat
3: Take her shopping and just say "this is your limit..."

thats all I can think of at the moment.

any suggestions?

Oh, I am taking her out for dinner and taking her to the place we hooked up on the day.

ik
p.s. my limit is £100 cause christmas is coming up and I will be spoiling her then too

lauzjp
19-07-2007, 19:13
I'm sure whatever you decide on (and you seem more advanced in 'suitable gifts' than most males, bless ya!) your gf will love it. :tu:

Pia
19-07-2007, 19:17
If i had to pick from those 3 i'd deffo go for number 1!

Cerberus
19-07-2007, 19:23
No 2 always works good.

ikthius
19-07-2007, 19:49
any other suggestions apart from the ones I said???

also if anyone knows of good places to go for a trip

ik

Wicked_and_Crazy
19-07-2007, 19:55
I wouldnt do the spa retreat unless your going to go with her. Otherwise it looks like your getting rid of her for a day.

If your doing the flights thing there are many european cities to choose from, Berlin, Barcelona, Prague Budapest etc etc but with cheap flight the airport is normally a little out of the city.

Have you thought of booking a hotel in Paris for a night, book Eurostar tickets and then on the journey out whoop out the hamper with a good lunch and a bottle of Champagne with the strawberries. If you go by Eurostar the trip is longer than a flight but you arrive in the centre of Paris probably quicker than a flight (with check ins) and all that) so its easy to get to hotels in the Gare Du Nord area.

Derek
19-07-2007, 19:59

Iceland? A bit different and direct flights from Glasgow.

Failing that Dublin and Amsterdam are always good for a quick few days away.

ikthius
19-07-2007, 20:35
Iceland? A bit different and direct flights from Glasgow.

Failing that Dublin and Amsterdam are always good for a quick few days away.

i was thinking iceland funnily enough

ik

v0id
19-07-2007, 20:38

The fjords in Norway. Take her whale watching

Edit: whoops, I didn't see you were on a budget :D

homealone
19-07-2007, 21:14
The fjords in Norway. Take her whale watching

Edit: whoops, I didn't see you were on a budget :D

good idea, though - you can get dolphin watching trips out of Inverness, for example ???

Halcyon
19-07-2007, 21:25
I think the Spa retreat is something more aimed at a birthday present.
She is most likely to go with her best friend and what you want to get her is something you can both do together since it is your special 1st anniversary together.
The weekend away sounds like a great idea and will be a real suprise as you can keep her guessing since she won't know where you are going until you arrive at the airport.

Use www.tripadvisor.co.uk (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk) for good reviews and to find the best rates for hotels.
A capital city is always good as there are a lot of things to do.

To make it extra special, make sure you have really researched everything, eg. find a good restaurant you can go to, what you will be doing, etc.

For example double check everything. Don't plan to go to Paris and up the Eiffel tower if you then turn up to find it is closed for maintenance on the day you visit. Make sure you research it all.

Have a great time and I hope you both have fun :)

EDIT: Just seen your limit is £100 which might cover cheap flight but hotel and days out would be extra.
You could make it more local and just plan a really romantic day from the time she wakes up to night fall.

NEONKNIGHT
19-07-2007, 21:34
Its only your first anniversary, go for something thats not going to cost hundreds because you will have to get something even better for the 2nd anniversary...3rd...4th.... get my drift? ;)

Angua
19-07-2007, 21:41
Balloon trip would appeal to me, or a romantic little hotel in the Cotswolds. Best advice is keep it simple then there is less to go wrong!

gaffer_gump
19-07-2007, 21:45
Yeah balloon trip and a picnic.. a proper one not one of those odd looking chocolate bars. :D

Mr_love_monkey
19-07-2007, 21:59
You could get her some underwear like the one in your avatar :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
19-07-2007, 22:00
You could get her some underwear like the one in your avatar :)

Maybe that is her

Mr_love_monkey
19-07-2007, 22:05
Maybe that is her

If that's the case, what the hell is he doing on here?????? :)

alferret
19-07-2007, 22:08
Look forget what all the other posters have suggested, here's mine, if she truely loves you then your made for life, and if she doesnt accept this token of your love, well then there's no hope.

Night out at the dogs with a basket meal all for a tenner, give her a fiver for a few bets and you'll be 85 quid in pocket ;)

Better make that 75 quid in pocket, you best go with her, just to show her the finer points of betting.

But seriously a couple of days away just the 2 of you, the locations not as important but the company is.

lostandconfused
19-07-2007, 22:43
simple answer is nothing, that way she wont come to expect anything next year. Will save you a fortune.

Although i am yet to have a relationship that lasted more than 366 days

alferret
19-07-2007, 22:51
simple answer is nothing, that way she wont come to expect anything next year. Will save you a fortune.

Although i am yet to have a relationship that lasted more than 366 days

Maybe thats why ;)

ikthius
19-07-2007, 23:02
Look forget what all the other posters have suggested, here's mine, if she truely loves you then your made for life, and if she doesnt accept this token of your love, well then there's no hope.

Night out at the dogs with a basket meal all for a tenner, give her a fiver for a few bets and you'll be 85 quid in pocket ;)

Better make that 75 quid in pocket, you best go with her, just to show her the finer points of betting.

But seriously a couple of days away just the 2 of you, the locations not as important but the company is.

we were at the races last monday at Ayr, she done better than me...

and no the avatar is not my girlfriend...... my girlfriend has a better body ;)

Hot air balloon idea is a no no.... she does not feel safe with heights like that. she is fine at rock climbing but only with certain people, and wont trust anyone else.

ik

superbiatch
19-07-2007, 23:03
How about re-living your first date? Just a thought ;)

But you know each other a lot better now, so it won't be so awkward :)

Mr_love_monkey
19-07-2007, 23:05
How about re-living your first date? Just a thought ;)

But you know each other a lot better now, so it won't be so awkward :)

..and it will be alright to fart under the duvet later..

Marge
19-07-2007, 23:06
How about a romantic night in a hotel with a four-poster bed complete with champagne and chocolates.......

Mr_love_monkey
19-07-2007, 23:06
What did she get you?

superbiatch
19-07-2007, 23:07
..and it will be alright to fart under the duvet later..

Thats just disgusting! ;)

And only acceptable after at least 2 years :D

Mr_love_monkey
19-07-2007, 23:08
Thats just disgusting! ;)

And only acceptable after at least 2 years :D

... and at what point is it alright to force her head under the duvet to fully appreciate it ? :)

ikthius
19-07-2007, 23:09
What did she get you?

we are recreating the first night, so it will cost less than £10 :D

well she said it has cost £70 but she not said, cause I prefer surprises, so she aint telling me.

ik

superbiatch
19-07-2007, 23:12
... and at what point is it alright to force her head under the duvet to fully appreciate it ? :)

He tried it once ;)

Anonymouse
20-07-2007, 01:33
One suggestion: first, consider whether the two of you are alike to any great degree, i.e. perhaps you like the same films, authors, places to go etc. Then think of something you'd like to receive as a present, and give her that.

Just a thought, but it's worked for me and my best friend for over 15 years now.

smiffing
20-07-2007, 03:45
When I met my present wife I promised her a boat trip and a meal....she was impressed until I took her across on the Woolwich Ferry for fish and chips, I still don't know why she married me but at the end of this month it's ten years.

:tu:

lauzjp
20-07-2007, 06:32
I often get handmade cards from Anton as opposed to shop bought ones, as he doodles, and writes his own lines. You don't have to be a great artist or a poet, but I think it's a much more lovely gesture than just picking one off a shelf. :)

Mr_love_monkey
20-07-2007, 06:51
I often get handmade cards from Anton as opposed to shop bought ones, as he doodles, and writes his own lines. You don't have to be a great artist or a poet, but I think it's a much more lovely gesture than just picking one off a shelf. :)

Do dirty limmericks work as well?

'There was a young man from Nantuckett...'

lauzjp
20-07-2007, 12:17
Do dirty limmericks work as well?

'There was a young man from Nantuckett...'

:rolleyes: I think I'd still be happy with a handmade jobby, no matter what the content was, as some thought and care has gone into it, moreso than a off-the-shelf number!

ikthius
20-07-2007, 13:04
:rolleyes: I think I'd still be happy with a handmade jobby, no matter what the content was, as some thought and care has gone into it, moreso than a off-the-shelf number!

A handmade jobby???? :erm:
whatever floats your boat :D

ik

lauzjp
20-07-2007, 13:16
:blush: I'm sure that could've come out a lot worse though! :p

Wicked_and_Crazy
20-07-2007, 13:25
:blush: I'm sure that could've come out a lot worse though! :p

Im not sure it could actually :D

DocDutch
20-07-2007, 13:32
a thought here Ik...

send her say 3 bunches of Roses at work, and a box of choccies...but what you should do is have the flowers delivered by different companies.

or a romantic trip to Paris.

or if all is going really well between you 2 a ring ;)

ikthius
20-07-2007, 13:38
a thought here Ik...

send her say 3 bunches of Roses at work, and a box of choccies...but what you should do is have the flowers delivered by different companies.

or a romantic trip to Paris.

or if all is going really well between you 2 a ring ;)

rings are not needed just now, its only the first year... although I would not turn her down if she asked ;)

anyway, I have another idea, just need to find one cheap enough.

I was thinking, hiring a boat for a day, even overnight if its cheap enough, to take her for a day out, with picnic all made up. any loch would do, but its not cheap so far...

ik

DocDutch
20-07-2007, 13:42
you wont find that 1 cheap I think Ik.... flying anywhere would be pricey as well.

living together ik or seperate?

another idea if living together is take the day off have the house really tidy and a nice trial of rose pettles and then a really romantic meal ;)

ikthius
20-07-2007, 13:44
you wont find that 1 cheap I think Ik.... flying anywhere would be pricey as well.

living together ik or seperate?

another idea if living together is take the day off have the house really tidy and a nice trial of rose pettles and then a really romantic meal ;)

sadly we don't live together and that idea can't be done yet.... until we have our own place, currently living in each others parents house..... its cheap :D

I know I keep mentioning cheap, but I have to I am very very skint.

ik

Mr_love_monkey
20-07-2007, 13:52
You could perform an interpretive dance, showing your feelings her - that would be cheap, you'd only need to get a tutu.

Or you could dress up as a mime and mime how much you love her - again, cheap, bit of face paint and an invisible box, and bob is very much your dad's brother.

or you could make a life size replica of her out of papier-mache - nothing says I love you like an effigy.

ikthius
20-07-2007, 14:18
I emailed this lot to ask what kind of boat, what times are a full day and how much...

http://www.balmahaboatyard.co.uk/boathire.html
wish I could afford this for her:
http://www.lomondleisure.com/

ik

lauzjp
20-07-2007, 21:35
aw, I'm sure I'd love even a picnic in a park - we've done that a few times. :) There's a pond too, so we can feed the birdies... don't fancy a bike ride this weekend though, the travellers are back

smiffing
21-07-2007, 01:48
aw, I'm sure I'd love even a picnic in a park - we've done that a few times. :) There's a pond too, so we can feed the birdies... don't fancy a bike ride this weekend though, the travellers are back

The simple/natural things are the most impressive, I think that nature has a natural attraction.

Are these "Irish travellers"?

Shaun
21-07-2007, 02:57
One suggestion: first, consider whether the two of you are alike to any great degree, i.e. perhaps you like the same films, authors, places to go etc. Then think of something you'd like to receive as a present, and give her that.

Just a thought, but it's worked for me and my best friend for over 15 years now.

Yep, stills from a favorate fill work good :D

Should be something paper though - favorite photo in a silver frame?

lauzjp
21-07-2007, 09:52
The simple/natural things are the most impressive, I think that nature has a natural attraction.

Are these "Irish travellers"?

well the two that were outside our block during the week trying to mug an asian kid were, why?

smiffing
21-07-2007, 13:50
well the two that were outside our block during the week trying to mug an asian kid were, why?

Just wondering, we have "housed" travellers around our way, in fact I don't think they can be classed as travellers because they don't travel anywhere except the benefits office!

lauzjp
21-07-2007, 20:03
Just wondering, we have "housed" travellers around our way, in fact I don't think they can be classed as travellers because they don't travel anywhere except the benefits office!

oops: teehee!

oh well I'm sure stockwood is nicely waterlogged by now, I think we'll just go to the pub tomorrow instead! :)

jonbxx
24-07-2007, 08:59
I emailed this lot to ask what kind of boat, what times are a full day and how much...

http://www.balmahaboatyard.co.uk/boathire.html
wish I could afford this for her:
http://www.lomondleisure.com/

ik

If water and boats are your thing, can you get to somewhere like Oban? Calmac do some really nice day trips with lunch, etc. Here's a linky for you - http://www.calmac.co.uk/day-sails-2007.html I keep meaning to take the good lady on one of these trips when we visit up that way...

superbiatch
24-07-2007, 09:08
For real romance, a few years back i was treated to a weekend in a luxury private lodge with outside hot spa. It was up by Carlisle and you had your own private area overlooking a lake. Topped off with a little champagne and some oysters, it was fantabulous to say the least :)

Maybe an idea for next year ;)

RUSTY
25-07-2007, 11:43
Paris!

ikthius
25-07-2007, 17:36
For real romance, a few years back i was treated to a weekend in a luxury private lodge with outside hot spa. It was up by Carlisle and you had your own private area overlooking a lake. Topped off with a little champagne and some oysters, it was fantabulous to say the least :)

Maybe an idea for next year ;)

or when I can really afford it!!!!! :D

thanks everyone for your input, I am still thinking.

ik

lauzjp
25-07-2007, 18:54
or when I can really afford it!!!!! :D

ik

how about looking on laterooms.com or through activehotels - they often have quite good deals on? or even on teletext? the places where you can hire houses often have late deals too. ;)

alferret
25-07-2007, 20:53
I can recommend laterooms.com, booked a weekend in Windermere for the other half and myself. Very impressed with the deal we got :tu:

smiffing
17-08-2007, 06:50
OK and guys too.

I need some help in thinking about a present for my girlfriend as its going to be our 1yr anniversary next month, and I need to get her something, she got me one.

Ok, I can't go for jewelery I got her a tifanny necklace for her birthday.

I was thinking of either...
1: Cheap flight to somewhere for either a couple of days or just a day, if flights are good enough times.
2: Spa retreat
3: Take her shopping and just say "this is your limit..."

thats all I can think of at the moment.

any suggestions?

Oh, I am taking her out for dinner and taking her to the place we hooked up on the day.

ik
p.s. my limit is £100 cause christmas is coming up and I will be spoiling her then too

I think you need to tell us now, what did you book?
The suspense is killing me!

ikthius
17-08-2007, 10:11
I think you need to tell us now, what did you book?
The suspense is killing me!

oh sorry dude,

well she brought up the situation a couple of days back, and we decided instead of personal presents, we should do something together.

so we are going to try and get 3 days away in Aran (sept, cause she is on a course this month), so we will do this for and with each other....

but on the day, we went for a meal, and then to the place where we hooked up for a game of pool and a drink ;)

sorry I never kept you lot updated.

ik