PDA

View Full Version : Issues in CM18 area

Nuttah
18-07-2007, 23:05
Not sure if the problem is my kit, or a wider issue with Virgin. Getting awful connection over the last week, web browsing is a chore and online gaming is a complete no, no.

Can't see anything relevant on the service status page for my area (Harlow), so leaning towards perhaps being a local issue. Below are the readings from my modem....

Downstream Receive Power Level : 12.55 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.20 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 43.00 dBmv

Thinking that the Downstream power is a little high, I have a ntl:home 100 modem btw.

Speed tests are awful, getting in the region of 0.5mb downstream. Oh, on the 4Mb tier.

Any ideas?

stewlewis
18-07-2007, 23:13
Join the club.

-Rob
18-07-2007, 23:21
There seems to be quite a lot of areas in the UK where VM customers are experiencing dreadful speeds.

I'm an XL user in the CB2 are (Cambridge) and my download speeds are about the same as yours every night and all through the weekend. During the day on week days it's fine (12-14mb usually).

What a fantastic bargain eh? £37 a month for a service that at peak times offers a download speed that isn't even half of the upload speed.

If you subscribe the virginmedia.feedback usenet group you will see that a lot of folks are suffering badly and have been since being "upgraded".

The general consensus seems to be that VM have grossly over sold their network to the point where it just can't cope with peak time demands.