PDA

View Full Version : Changing to Modem from Set Top Box - Can you put my mind at rest?

Pompeytf
18-07-2007, 23:03
This is my first post - hope I don't bore you all with a previously answered question. As loyal cable customers (since the days of Nynex in Portsmouth) we are upgrading next week to the VIP package. I'm hoping it will be simple as we already have 2 cable boxes together and neither will need to be moved.

However, my question is about our broadband which we have had for years (as NTL customers) running off my PACE set top box. What happens next week when they come to fit the modem? A box from Virgin Media containing a self-install kit including leads, the modem and another set up disk arrived today by Parcel Force with a letter promising a password to follow. We were not expecting this - just thought the Engineers would bring a modem with the V+ box. I already have broadband set up on our computer plus an NTL e-mail address which I don't want to change. Surely I don't have to run another set up programme?

Has anybody been through this process already? I am getting stressed thinking about it already - I'm actually quite happy with my broadband at the moment and the thought of phoning that 'help line' fills me with dread.

Upgrading to this package for an extra £5 simply made financial sense.

Hope you can help me - sorry for rambling!

diddy1
18-07-2007, 23:30
This is my first post - hope I don't bore you all with a previously answered question. As loyal cable customers (since the days of Nynex in Portsmouth) we are upgrading next week to the VIP package. I'm hoping it will be simple as we already have 2 cable boxes together and neither will need to be moved.

However, my question is about our broadband which we have had for years (as NTL customers) running off my PACE set top box. What happens next week when they come to fit the modem? A box from Virgin Media containing a self-install kit including leads, the modem and another set up disk arrived today by Parcel Force with a letter promising a password to follow. We were not expecting this - just thought the Engineers would bring a modem with the V+ box. I already have broadband set up on our computer plus an NTL e-mail address which I don't want to change. Surely I don't have to run another set up programme?

Has anybody been through this process already? I am getting stressed thinking about it already - I'm actually quite happy with my broadband at the moment and the thought of phoning that 'help line' fills me with dread.

Upgrading to this package for an extra £5 simply made financial sense.

Hope you can help me - sorry for rambling!

Yes i changed recently to SACM all you will need to do is register the modem, there is enough information on the site how to do it.
just one word of warning make sure you rings accounts and explain your swapping from STB to SACM or there is a chance you will get charged for 2 seperate internt connections. and depending on your billing you will get a seperate bill for you internet.

Pompeytf
19-07-2007, 17:17
Thanks but could you/anyone clarify a couple of points? When the engineer removes the set top box connection and connects/powers up the modem, when I switch on my pc will it default to a registration screen (since I have an ntl broadband programme already installed) or will I still have to run the Virgin Media connection disk that came with the goods? I now have the separate letter containing the pin number and surname.

Will I lose my @ntlworld.com e-mail address and have to create a new one?

Sorry I've tried looking for details for registering the new modem but am having difficulty accessing what might be the right page, could you provide a link or point me in the right direction?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

MovedGoalPosts
19-07-2007, 17:19
to keep your existing account you must speak to customer services as they will need to ensure it transfers to the modem rather than set top box.

Installation shouldn't need a CD, unless you must use USB. just power off STB, connect modem and boot up. If registration is required the modem should take you there.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602415-how-set-up-your-ntl-broadband.html