PDA

View Full Version : Outside drain blocked - who fixes it?

Central
18-07-2007, 19:36
If my outside drain is blocked do I pay for it or my landlord?

Its a private rented house

danielf
18-07-2007, 19:48
Your landlord pays. Just had mine unblocked today :)

MovedGoalPosts
18-07-2007, 19:56
Your landlord would normally be responsible. However if it is clearly misuse that caused the problem, then they might recharge the cost to you.

Central
18-07-2007, 19:58
Your landlord would normally be responsible. However if it is clearly misuse that caused the problem, then they might recharge the cost to you.

Misuse as in what.

Although we had a lot of rain here today and alot of dirt and mud washed down with it.

MovedGoalPosts
18-07-2007, 20:02
Things you put down the drain that shouldn't be disposed of that way - I'll leave that to your imagination ;)

iglu
18-07-2007, 20:03
Misuse as in what.

Although we had a lot of rain here today and alot of dirt and mud washed down with it.

condom blockage, sanitary towel blockage

Central
18-07-2007, 20:05
Ah no rubbers or rags down there ;)

Just alot of dirt and water

Nugget
18-07-2007, 20:10
Ah no rubbers or rags down there ;)

Just alot of dirt and water

You should be able to unblock it yourself - I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago.

If you've got something (disposable) that's about 3 feet long (piece of wood or something like), see if you can get to the bottom of the drain with it. If you can, you should be able to move the blockage from the outflow with the stick, and the suction will take the dirt and rubbish with it. Failing that, you could just stick your arm down there - I've done that before now :disturbd:

Hope that helps :tu:

Central
18-07-2007, 20:14
You should be able to unblock it yourself - I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago.

If you've got something (disposable) that's about 3 feet long (piece of wood or something like), see if you can get to the bottom of the drain with it. If you can, you should be able to move the blockage from the outflow with the stick, and the suction will take the dirt and rubbish with it. Failing that, you could just stick your arm down there - I've done that before now :disturbd:

Hope that helps :tu:

I removed the drain cover. And stuck the high pressure jet down there. It aint budging.

Nugget
18-07-2007, 20:46
I removed the drain cover. And stuck the high pressure jet down there. It aint budging.

That's because you're just adding water to the top, and agitating what dirt there is towards the top.

You need to clear the blockage at the bottom (by the 'release') - as I said, if you do that, the suction will clear the drain for you. It'll only take you about two minutes, and save a load of hassle :)

greencreeper
18-07-2007, 22:28
I'd be a bit careful about sticking hands/arms down drains - never know what's down there, and if you've not had your jabs, you could get something nasty. Some may recall my cellar of **** - wasn't my **** but it came up my drain.

Nugget
18-07-2007, 22:31
I'd be a bit careful about sticking hands/arms down drains - never know what's down there, and if you've not had your jabs, you could get something nasty. Some may recall my cellar of **** - wasn't my **** but it came up my drain.

Which is why I suggested the stick ;)

Nidge
19-07-2007, 05:24
Drain blockages can be caused by fat building up in the pipes causing a block to the water flow, blockages can also be caused by a slip in the drains where one pipe slips below the other on creating a step, this results in a back up of waste causing a blockage. Most companies now charge a premium for unblocking drains but if you know someone who works for a company that has pump trucks that can unblock drans :D:D:D:D:D:D you can get it done on the cheap.:D:D:D

Central
19-07-2007, 21:40
I fixed it

I soaked up the water with a mop and saw the mud at the bottom which i scraped away with a stick and tried it and it works fine :D

homealone
19-07-2007, 21:59
I fixed it

I soaked up the water with a mop and saw the mud at the bottom which i scraped away with a stick and tried it and it works fine :D

nice one - it is always a stick that is needed, when something is brown & sticky ;)